Why did Verizon choose to disable Wireless Charging capability?

Search This thread

Kevro_86

Aug 9, 2010
We all know that Verizon has made some pretty asinine decisons over the years, especially in regards to eliminating certain funtionality and features on their phones.... but for the life of me I cannot figure out why they would choose to essentially "cover up" the wireless charging capabilities of this great phone!

Do they actually NOT want to make a boatload of ca$h on special NFC/wireless charging battery covers and charging mats???!!!

There is no rationale behind this that I can think of whatsoever!

In case anyone wants to know the reason for my frustration... the Verizon version of the Note II has an inner cover that covers the wireless charging contacts (the inner cover is what is exposed when the battery cover is removed). The AT&T version has fully functional wireless charging capability out of the box...minus the battery cover & charging mat.

This problem can be remedied with a little tinkerinh which involves removing this inner cover, but the sad thing is that none of this extra work should even be necessary. Plus... wouldn't it have actually been more cost effective for Samsung & the carriers to use the same components wherever possible? This was an unnecessary variance from what should hve been the standard.

Just pretty crappy that this flagship device is missing this wireless charging feature that continues to grow in popularity industry wide.

...Maybe Verizon is counting on the micro-USB port life expectancy being just about when the warranty is expired so they can make their money on people needing new phones before they're due for an upgrade!

Sorry guys... had to vent. I definitely have a Love-Hate relationship with VZW!

gltovar

Feb 28, 2011
62liQ.png

wow no kidding

snapz54

Mar 25, 2009
los angeles
I was actually in the store to hear first hand why. A customer coming from an iphone (he announced) was interested in the Note 2. His friend had the ATT version and he was excited to have a phone that could do wireless charging.

customer: I want to get the note 2, does it come with the wireless charging accessories or do I have to buy them separate?
verizon salesguy: The Note 2 doesn't have wireless charging built in, but the New Droid DNA does, let me show you.
customer: okay!

word for word. So frustrating to see their evil BS work. They make money licensing the "DROID" name so they make more money from droid phones. Horse droppings.

D3_

Mar 9, 2010
London
To be fair doesn't it take about a decade to charge the note 2 wirelessly?
I don't like using 1a chargers on mine because they take so much longer than the stock one and as far as I know wireless charging supplies even less than that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Kevro_86

Aug 9, 2010
I never thought about the Droid DNA being a possible reason for them to intentionally disable this feature, but knowing how VZW likes to promote the Droid line as the preferred choice, that does make sense.

I agree that wireless charging a 3100mAh battery will take a lot longer. I would think most people would use it as a bedside charger while they're sleeping, or at work, if they have an office job.

It would be very convenient to not have to fumble with a micro USB connector, especially when lighting is poor, or when you're picking your phone up every several minutes while at work.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Note II using xda app-developers app

jyveturkey

Oct 20, 2010
Verizon has made it clear that the note is not their flagship device, but in fact the dna is.

Sent from my SPH-L900

daddymatt

I use wireless charging with my AT&T N2 and it charges from 40% in a couple hours.. I only charge at night when im sleeping though so as long as it charges within 6 hours I could care less.. and I wake up at the 4 hour mark and its at 100% so its fast enough for me... and slower charging is actually better for the battery. I understand if you needed a quick pick me up why it wouldnt be good.. but im a HEAVY user and with the N2 and its massive battery, ive never needed to charge it during the day... so for my needs, its perfect.

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note II /w wireless charging.

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
At the verizon I went to my rep tried the same thing on me. I went in specifically for the n2. He asked me if I had seen the dna, I said I heard of it and saw a couple of reviews on it. He asked if I wouod be interested in that instead. I said does it have a 3100mah battery, a stylus, removable battery or a micro sd slot... he said no. I said might as well get an iphone5 if thats the case. I came in for the n2 and only the n2.... couldnt be happier...... fyi. I finally convinced my wife to ditch her icrap5 and take over my s3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kms108

Kevro_86

Aug 9, 2010
There are a couple youtube videos showing what needs to be done to re-enable the wireless charging. The contacts are definitely there under the freaking plastic cover. They do not appear to be "raised" contacts like on the AT&T version or the Galaxy S3, but they are indeed there.

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
Sprint version does not have it either.

Maybe the cdma versions were built in the same place

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

testerdennis

Feb 23, 2012
gltovar,

Thanks for the helpful side-by-side pics!

Does anyone know what that round connector is on the AT&T version between the NFC contacts and wireless charging contacts?

What else did Verizon screw us out of??!!??

If I'm not mistaking the one on the left is the International version and I believe the round connector might be for the radio.

Reactions: Kevro_86

Shamrock13

Jun 7, 2010
PA
gltovar,

Does anyone know what that round connector is on the AT&T version between the NFC contacts and wireless charging contacts?

You can actually do 2 things.

1) Buy the housing from the ATT/International version and replace the VZW one with extreme ease, and then you can solder on contacts and make yourself a Qi compatible back cover.

2) Just get some copper tape (I think is what he used) and then get the Palm Touchstone or whatever and the Palm door and do the same minus replacing the housing.

cherokee2217

Dec 2, 2010
Just an idea, but do you think it's possible to drill a couple of precise holes through the thin plastic inner cover to gain access to the contacts directly underneath? And then drop in some spring pins?

oxidant11

Mar 28, 2009
I was actually in the store to hear first hand why. A customer coming from an iphone (he announced) was interested in the Note 2. His friend had the ATT version and he was excited to have a phone that could do wireless charging.

customer: I want to get the note 2, does it come with the wireless charging accessories or do I have to buy them separate?
verizon salesguy: The Note 2 doesn't have wireless charging built in, but the New Droid DNA does, let me show you.
customer: okay!

word for word. So frustrating to see their evil BS work. They make money licensing the "DROID" name so they make more money from droid phones. Horse droppings.

ok first of all vzw reps do not sell the dna over the note2 because they get paid more and vzw hasnt asked them to offer the note2 over the dna, what most likely happened is a biased opinion of a rep, a lot of reps in my store for some reason like the dna more, there are reasons its better but but there also reasons its not, and on the issue of the charging who knows why vzw didnt include it, but the s3 wireless charging took a while to come out too, just be interesting how they do it though since pins are covered.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

nuke072786

Jul 30, 2008
Not having access to the wireless charging prongs really REALLY angered me when I took the back cover off my brand new Note 2. After seeing the international version, I was all excited to implement magnetic charging. I was shocked and angered when I didn't see the prongs!! Will have to decide if I want to crack the phone open and figure out an alternative solution....the frustration!

snapz54

Mar 25, 2009
los angeles
ok first of all vzw reps do not sell the dna over the note2 because they get paid more and vzw hasnt asked them to offer the note2 over the dna, what most likely happened is a biased opinion of a rep, a lot of reps in my store for some reason like the dna more, there are reasons its better but but there also reasons its not, and on the issue of the charging who knows why vzw didnt include it, but the s3 wireless charging took a while to come out too, just be interesting how they do it though since pins are covered.

no.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    62liQ.png

wow no kidding

no.
    At the verizon I went to my rep tried the same thing on me. I went in specifically for the n2. He asked me if I had seen the dna, I said I heard of it and saw a couple of reviews on it. He asked if I wouod be interested in that instead. I said does it have a 3100mah battery, a stylus, removable battery or a micro sd slot... he said no. I said might as well get an iphone5 if thats the case. I came in for the n2 and only the n2.... couldnt be happier...... fyi. I finally convinced my wife to ditch her icrap5 and take over my s3

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
    Well that explains the extra time until they released it. I wonder if the contacts are still there under the plastic?

Also, why don't they put wireless chargers in dash mounts?? Seems like a no brainier there.
    gltovar,

If I'm not mistaking the one on the left is the International version and I believe the round connector might be for the radio.