Last edited:

AndroidGraphix

Apr 4, 2011
Paradise Valley, AZ
METHOD 1 mirror:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4CdaTMCOQ-Cak90VW5vWm9ZTms

METHOD 2 mirror:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4CdaTMCOQ-CSzktc29ZZ3hvbUE

...by the way hotfile and netload OP mirrors for method 2 are working fine. It must be something on your end.

Okay, THank you. I have downgraded the ROM and have root access; however, I really need someone to point out how to adb push itsmagic. What is itsmagic? A recovery? a File? a recovery file? I'm very familiar with adb but I've been searching threads for 45 minutes now trying to find, "itsmagic." Every file I download such as: update-recovery-thor2002ro-rev1.6_v2.zip doesn't have itsmagic inside the zip. Any help would be great. Thank You!

Edit:

I should also point out, I've tried the apk from the market to install recovery but it FC's every time I load it.

Edit:

I figured it out. I search itsmagic for all the forums since it wasn't a link in the OP and found itsmagic file. I then made the mistake of thinking I had the option of either doing steps 1 or 2 when in fact I needed to do both! In any case, thanks for your tutorial. Getting ready to go into CWM and flash a ROM!

Edit:

Okay, why on earth does it require volume UP and power to get into recovery instead of volume down? THIS IS WHY IT's TAKEN me 30 minutes to get into recovery!!

Last edited:

samaliset

Jun 29, 2007
Paris
Hello there,

My device bricked and I don't know how to to get the UID since method 2 did not work for. Is that has to do with my PC on Windows XP?
Anyway if you have any suggution I would highly appreciate it.

Danny2

Jan 6, 2010
Estevan
Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
Thanks to begemot666.
These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
MIRROR
2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
Save the file.
4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
6. Tablet will reboot

Every recovery I see says to enable USB debugging first. Is there a way to recover if you are in APX mode (stuck) and can therefore not enable USB debugging?

krashcoarse

Nov 30, 2012
Montreal, QC
stupid encryption and reverting to stock/factory

[UPDATE] I don't know if I missed the "fine print" or something in other posts pertaining to the EUUS method, but thanks to @jazzyjames for the hint as to how to finish that procedure.
YOU DON'T connect your tab until after the EUUS has tried to detect it and finally popped up a little window (as per this thread) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516012

So thanks all of you, but finally got it to go back to 3.01 ENCRYPTION-FREE
YAY!!
[/update]

hi guys, Thanks for all the great work.
A little help, please.
I'm not a computer n00b, been playing with this stuff since the days of the Vic-20. (if you don't know what that is guys, it's less powerful than whatever tablet or phone you've got lying around)

I had my Iconia a500 a couple of weeks before work required me to "slave" it to our exchange server. In that time I had rooted and installed Thor's recovery, and the Acer Recovery installer, but never had time to install a custom ROM. Then Exchange forced encryption on me, and I've never been able to do anything with the encrypted /data partition since.

So I finally talked my boss into de-auth'ing it from Exchange, but now the damn thing is still encrypted, requiring the PIN halfway thru the boot sequence, and the pin-locked home screen.

So I've tried Option #1 in the TUT, no go...
I get a "download newer image for upgrade" from the euus, and no other option but a "quit" button.

#2 frankly scares me a little :D
I'm a working stiff with a family who can't afford new toys very often.

[edit] BTW, my goal here is to wipe it and start from scratch. I'm presently on stock OTA ICS

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

when I boot to recovery, I can't mount /data or format it.
when I try to do a factory reset from within settings or from recovery, I just end up booting back into my perfectly preserved junk that I wanted to format, along with all the required PINs and passwords.

I cannot wipe this thing?!?

help? LOL
I've seriously been reading the forum for over a month, whenever i get the time, and this thread is the closest I've found to my problem and/or what i want to do.

If more details are needed, I'm more than happy to give them.

Thanks guys.

[update] found some other threads pertinent to this and it appears to be because I no longer have the original bootloader. If I flash the stock bootloader from fastboot, I may be able to do a factory reset properly. can anyone confirm this from experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: dibb_nz

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
[UPDATE] I don't know if I missed the "fine print" or something in other posts pertaining to the EUUS method, but thanks to @jazzyjames for the hint as to how to finish that procedure.
YOU DON'T connect your tab until after the EUUS has tried to detect it and finally popped up a little window (as per this thread) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516012

So thanks all of you, but finally got it to go back to 3.01 ENCRYPTION-FREE
YAY!!
[/update]

hi guys, Thanks for all the great work.
A little help, please.
I'm not a computer n00b, been playing with this stuff since the days of the Vic-20. (if you don't know what that is guys, it's less powerful than whatever tablet or phone you've got lying around)

I had my Iconia a500 a couple of weeks before work required me to "slave" it to our exchange server. In that time I had rooted and installed Thor's recovery, and the Acer Recovery installer, but never had time to install a custom ROM. Then Exchange forced encryption on me, and I've never been able to do anything with the encrypted /data partition since.

So I finally talked my boss into de-auth'ing it from Exchange, but now the damn thing is still encrypted, requiring the PIN halfway thru the boot sequence, and the pin-locked home screen.

So I've tried Option #1 in the TUT, no go...
I get a "download newer image for upgrade" from the euus, and no other option but a "quit" button.

#2 frankly scares me a little :D
I'm a working stiff with a family who can't afford new toys very often.

[edit] BTW, my goal here is to wipe it and start from scratch. I'm presently on stock OTA ICS

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

when I boot to recovery, I can't mount /data or format it.
when I try to do a factory reset from within settings or from recovery, I just end up booting back into my perfectly preserved junk that I wanted to format, along with all the required PINs and passwords.

I cannot wipe this thing?!?

help? LOL
I've seriously been reading the forum for over a month, whenever i get the time, and this thread is the closest I've found to my problem and/or what i want to do.

If more details are needed, I'm more than happy to give them.

Thanks guys.

[update] found some other threads pertinent to this and it appears to be because I no longer have the original bootloader. If I flash the stock bootloader from fastboot, I may be able to do a factory reset properly. can anyone confirm this from experience?

I've.only just seen.yr post....thankx.for
the detailed info, helps explain where the encryption originates....a few folks have ended up in alot of strife with this...tho no one could say how their tab got encrypted in the first place.....

pleased the 3.0.1 euu worked 4 u, once u did a downgrade by forcing apx mode.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Sep 25, 2006
I started from an ex-G100w (fake Iconia) with ics bootloader rooted and custom bootloader than I installed update.zip of not stable 3.0.1...everything ok but I want my packard bell back not a fake iconia. I tryed to update.zip to 3.2 but still acer boot logo.

How to do?

I can't find a 3.0.1 update from packard.

Please reply

jasenlee1984

Feb 2, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Saw this post and was wondering will this work on official ICS stock rom? I just want to revert back to HC because when I updated to ICS through OTA I've been having SoD every single day. :crying: Did factory reset, still SoD even with nothing installed. My A500 worked like a charm when it was still on HC, just after I updated to ICS then SoD problem came. :( So far I haven't do anything to my tablet yet, it's still not rooted and no custom roms/kernel in it. So will this work on a non-rooted official ICS stock rom?:confused:

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Saw this post and was wondering will this work on official ICS stock rom? I just want to revert back to HC because when I updated to ICS through OTA I've been having SoD every single day. :crying: Did factory reset, still SoD even with nothing installed. My A500 worked like a charm when it was still on HC, just after I updated to ICS then SoD problem came. :( So far I haven't do anything to my tablet yet, it's still not rooted and no custom roms/kernel in it. So will this work on a non-rooted official ICS stock rom?:confused:

You're on ICS stock bootloader and you need to use After OTA tool by gersma. This thread is quite obsolete and is for reverting stock HC 3.2 back to 3.0.1.
p.s. Don't forget to backup all your tablet IDs before flashing anything.

jasenlee1984

Feb 2, 2013
You're on ICS stock bootloader and you need to use After OTA tool by gersma. This thread is quite obsolete and is for reverting stock HC 3.2 back to 3.0.1.
p.s. Don't forget to backup all your tablet IDs before flashing anything.

Thanks but if I'm not mistaken I need to get a official HC stock rom first. I saw vache's full package thread and I don't know which one is compatible with my tablet. My A500 build number is Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1 any suggestion:confused:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Thanks but if I'm not mistaken I need to get a official HC stock rom first. I saw vache's full package thread and I don't know which one is compatible with my tablet. My A500 build number is Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1 any suggestion:confused:

No, you've updated your official HC OTA to ICS - haven't you?. So - no need to do that. Using OTA Tool, you can root your tab, install custom recovery and later flash whatever ROM you like.

jasenlee1984

Feb 2, 2013
No, you've updated your official HC OTA to ICS - haven't you?. So - no need to do that. Using OTA Tool, you can root your tab, install custom recovery and later flash whatever ROM you like.

Yeah I updated from official OTA. Since now I'm in stock ICS bootloader and if now I want to go back to official HC stock rom. I know I will need a HC bootloadr in-order to do that. So can i just install the Bootloader HC V3.01 + Recovery Thor V.1.7.3 from AfterOTA, then root my A500 and simply flash back to the HC stock rom I've downloaded? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you.

The reason I want to go back to HC stock rom is because I've been having sleep of death issue after I updated my A500 to ICS through OTA.

gmorfeus

Mar 31, 2013
A501 black screen

Hi,

I need a little help. I was doing method 1 on Acer Iconia tab A501 and in some point of progress, my laptop just restarted. So, No I have "dead" Iconia with only black screen. I have tried to put update.zip on SD , press volume - and power up but nothing happens. Is there any way to make it work? Thanks,

Gabrijel

UPDATE: have managed to make it work like this:
1. run app again.
2. power down the tablet,
3. press reset,
4. while holding reset, press power 3 seconds,
5. release power button,
6. release reset,
7. connect USB cable.

Last edited:
help

hi all, I'm having a little trouble.

I bricked my a500 so I used revert OTA and everything went well. I installed iconaroot apk and it ran and achieved root. I then tried to download a rom. the tablet forceclosed so I rebooted it and now its asking me for a password...I haven't used any passwords.
Im now trying to re run revert ota but it says update failed...Ive tried 7 times....anyone any idea if there is a stock password or master password...or I'm I screwed..

fingers crossed.

flight147

Oct 9, 2013
Glad it worked for you. EUU is not thor's tool, it's ACER's which does not mean he's not a great dev :)

MIRRORS for method 2:

WUPLOAD
HOTFILE

cool though am having problems with that tool stuck at this part here any light on it for what reason its been like that for hours

DSC_0012.jpg

JD2005

May 14, 2009
Gateway TPA60W

Just wanted to pass along that Method 2 worked on my Gateway A60. The only snag I ran into was after the installation of the unstable ROM I was not able to get the keyboard working so I had to email myself a link to the Acer Recovery and open in the market. After that all went smooth as silk!

I know this is years later, but I'm trying to root a Gateway TPA60W and upon rebooting and trying to flash the update.zip file in method 2, I just get a yellow exclamation mark, it won't install. You didn't run into this problem?

smishra

Jun 28, 2009
Morriston
I know this is years later, but I'm trying to root a Gateway TPA60W and upon rebooting and trying to flash the update.zip file in method 2, I just get a yellow exclamation mark, it won't install. You didn't run into this problem?

Hi, it definitely has been a while but I do remember being able to install the update because my keyboard kept failing and I had a heck of a time doing anything in the ROM, that being said I think the link from drkalo might be the easier way to go.

Sorry for not being any help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
    Thanks to begemot666.
    These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
    MIRROR
    2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
    3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
    Save the file.
    4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
    5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
    6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
    All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
    This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
    2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
    3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
    4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
    5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
    2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
    3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
    4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
    6. Tablet will reboot
    Maybe it could help : EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1
    You can post it in 4PDA.ru.
    This would be alot easier if everyone just used the image vache posted for 3.0.1. That image WILL work for the locked bootloader. After you get back to 3.0.1 you can then root it then install CWM.

OP please update your guide, that is the much easier/safer option.

EDIT-

The actual link has been update. I pointed you to the wrong file previously
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GR57P1NN
    That's method 2. Would you like me to remove metod 1?

No that still uses an EUU.
    The zip in my previous post is an update.zip FROM acer specifically to downgrade from 3.2 to 3.0.1. It will work after you get a locked bootloader.
    After you do that iconiaroot would work, but there are other ways to root 3.0.1 as well. Anyway, it seems like it would be easier and quicker and platform independent.

Try it out
    Glad it worked for you. EUU is not thor's tool, it's ACER's which does not mean he's not a great dev :)

MIRRORS for method 2:

WUPLOAD
    HOTFILE