FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 435

By ikjadoon, Senior Member on 10th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th December 2012, 04:53 PM |#1111  
Flag Lombard, IL
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcwhinnie

From the Samsung S3 JB update page, this update will only be available OTA. (Sorry I can't post links yet.)

How Do I Get This Update?

This update is available through Windows and Mac computers using the Samsung Kies software application only. This update will not be made available over-the-air.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...8&fm_seq=55362

This is the link to the part of the Samsung site, talking about the update that is saying it will not come out OTA. Meaning Samsung is pushing out JB, to quiet all of us that have been clamoring for it. Meanwhile AT&T is still working on it, and when they do the OTA, in "the near future, a few weeks", it will be 4.1.2 most likely, although that is just a guess on my part.

4th December 2012, 04:59 PM |#1112  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
disksilphofphoric
mittens n kittens batman!
4th December 2012, 05:03 PM |#1113  
Thanks Meter: 12,320

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezbass

Can someone dump and post the LK3 modem, please?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Check the modem thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
4th December 2012, 05:06 PM |#1114  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee

So I'm going to root for the first time. Don't need customer firmware or mods. Can anyone point at the easiest/safest root method now since JB 4.1.1 update?

Seriously? Have you even been reading this thread with all the pointers to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426
4th December 2012, 05:18 PM |#1115  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
has anyone found a way to enable tethering yet? i saw something a earlier about a patch that disabled the check of tethering provisions and allowed the hotspot to work, but when i tried to flash it in CWM it started and then just rebooted the phone and nothing worked.
4th December 2012, 05:24 PM |#1116  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee

But I'm perplexed why Google let Samsung leave S-Voice on the phone. Now you have to long press and select the G icon to get to Google Now instead of just replacing S-voice double press with Google Now. (This can be done after root I read.)

So I'm going to root for the first time. Don't need customer firmware or mods. Can anyone point at the easiest/safest root method now since JB 4.1.1 update?

You can set Google Now's voice search to activate with a double press of the home button WITHOUT ROOTING. I did this on my Note 2 and will do it on my gf's S3 when she updates:
1. Disable the double-press home button activation of S-voice in the settings for S-voice (I disabled the app completely)
2. Download Home2 Shortcut: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en
3. In Home2 Shortcut, set "Voice Search" as the application to activate by double pressing the home button.

Hope this helps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UCLAKoolman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift UCLAKoolman Ad-Free
4th December 2012, 05:28 PM |#1117  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I'm trying to update my phone through Kies and I haven't gotten it to work yet. I've downloaded and installed Kies on my Win7 laptop. I then connect my phone to my laptop using the original USB cable and Kies sees my phone no problem. Kies then tells me that there is an upgrade available and when I go through all of the menus, Kies tells me that it's started to download the files it needs to upgrade my phone. Then Kies crashes. My phone is running stock and has never been rooted. Any suggestions on what I might try next?
4th December 2012, 05:29 PM |#1118  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by troycarpenter

Seriously? Have you even been reading this thread with all the pointers to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426

I've been on this site for about 2 weeks and most of the threads are overwhelmingly long and when you start reading all the messages you see quite a few with people posting about having issues. Plus there seems to be about 5 different ways to do the same thing - different backup programs, different recoveries, bla bla bla You need to keep in mind, some of use newer people, although we DO read a lot of the posts, it's nice to just have someone just post one quick link like you did above.

Thank you.
4th December 2012, 05:30 PM |#1119  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman

You can set Google Now to activate with a double press of the home button WITHOUT ROOTING. I did this on my Note 2 and will do it on my gf's S3 when she updates:
1. Disable the double-press home button activation of S-voice in the settings for S-voice (I disabled the app completely)
2. Download Home2 Shortcut: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en
3. In Home2 Shortcut, set "Voice Search" as the application to activate by double pressing the home button.

Hope this helps.

You can keep both. Just hold the menu button for Google Now and double tap home for S Voice. It works great as is.
4th December 2012, 05:34 PM |#1120  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Rooted Galaxy S3 jellybean update
I have a rooted GS3 on AT&T. anyone know if I can update without any problems? And will I loose my root?

Thanks
4th December 2012, 05:34 PM |#1121  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalstylez

You can keep both. Just hold the menu button for Google Now and double tap home for S Voice. It works great as is.

Holding the menu button for Google Now requires you to wait for the recent apps menu to appear, then you have you tap the Google Now button. With my setup you don't have to even look at the screen. Just double press the home button and speak. If you want to keep S-voice then yes your stock method is fine. I was addressing the complaint I quoted in my post by describing my personal solution.

I don't care for S-voice, in fact I think it's rubbish. I want to be able to activate Google Now as quickly as possible, and double pressing to activate it is a great method, especially if I'm driving.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)