LectureNotes - S-Pen App with fast dev. speed

Search This thread

Cocax

Sep 18, 2011
@Jonphinguyen7: Many thanks for your kind comments. What do you refer to by `to have a recording set to a specific page´?

@Cocax: LectureNotes does not keep track of your actual writing when recording audio, just of the location where you wrote. To replay your writing in the sense of a video is only feasible when storing each stroke individually, such as vector-based apps do. I am not excluding the possibility that LectureNotes supports vector-based notebooks in the future, but not anytime soon, I am sorry.

But isn't SNote bitmap based also? I don't think it's vector based... And that function doesn't record audio, just the sketching, like it's screen capturing it...

But thanks anyway. LectureNotes is great as it is :)

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
I am not sure whether this was suggested in this or in another thread, but the latest version v1.18.1 that I just uploaded to Google Play allows to scroll the icons in the action bar in case the icons take more space than available.

Yipee!. That was my suggestion and it works flawlessly now. Thank you!

Out of curiosity though, I thought that this could not be implemented easily because of android limitations or you having to write a lot of additional code, was it the latter?

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
I am not sure whether this was suggested in this or in another thread, but the latest version v1.18.1 that I just uploaded to Google Play allows to scroll the icons in the action bar in case the icons take more space than available.

I really wish you would put a donate link attached to your xda profile. I really appreciate all your hard work and I'm sure others do, too. It would be an additional way to say thanks.

Reactions: kimooz92

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@HasC: One has to implement the handling of the icons, but this was at the end easier than I originally expected.

@toenail_flicker: Many thanks for your kind comments. You can purchase and enjoy one of my Live Wallpapers, if you wish.

I am not sure whether this was suggested in this thread or another, a long-click on a non-active tool (e.g. long-clicking on eraser when pencil is active) now directly opens the menu.

sphere314

Apr 1, 2012
Milano
I really wish you would put a donate link attached to your xda profile. I really appreciate all your hard work and I'm sure others do, too. It would be an additional way to say thanks.

@toenail_flicker: Many thanks for your kind comments. You can purchase and enjoy one of my Live Wallpapers, if you wish.

@acadoid
As I agree with toenail_flicker and taking in your suggestion I just bought something else from you :). Instead of a Live Wallpapers (I'd never use it) I've bought LectureRecordings. I didn't plan to buy it and won't probably use and/or need it but it's, nonetheless, a complement to LectureNotes and (mainly) a way to say thanks to its amazing developer.

Could you give us a rough overview of your next development plans for LectureNotes (maybe together with a very approximate and indicative timeline)?

Last edited:

Jonphinguyen7

Oct 18, 2011
@acadoid any plans on different style pencils? (Like chalk, graphite, pen and such)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Mirkokkk

Nov 12, 2012
I try to suggest a feature: it will be amazing if the toolbox appears under the pen when we click the pen's bottom and it disappears when we choose a colour!

Send from my GT-N8000 [LectureNotes, the best notes taking app!]

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@sphere314: Many thanks for purchasing the app, I appreciate that. The biggest project on my agenda is to improve concerning typed text, there are numerous mid-size projects such as to allow to set an image as page background (additionally to custom paper pattern JavaScript code), to allow custom drawing tools coded in JavaScript, to allow to process an image before insertion (including cropping, finer rotation, etc.) and even more smaller issues such as to allow choosing colors by RGB or HSV value, to allow to name layers, etc. To give time lines is difficult, as I need to play around with possible implementations for many features until a find a suitable one.

@Jonphinguyen7: What should be the characteristics of such pencils?

@Mirkokkk: Interesting idea, with `the pen's bottom´ you refer to the icon in the upper bar, right?

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
@HasC: One has to implement the handling of the icons, but this was at the end easier than I originally expected.

I am not sure whether this was suggested in this thread or another, a long-click on a non-active tool (e.g. long-clicking on eraser when pencil is active) now directly opens the menu.

Excellent on both counts. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mirkokkk

Nov 12, 2012
@Mirkokkk: Interesting idea, with `the pen's bottom´ you refer to the icon in the upper bar, right?

No I'm sorry, I refer to the s-pen bottom! The toolbox should appear under the s-pen tip!

Send from my GT-N8000 [LectureNotes, the best notes taking app!]

Last edited:

Jonphinguyen7

Oct 18, 2011
@sphere314: Many thanks for purchasing the app, I appreciate that. The biggest project on my agenda is to improve concerning typed text, there are numerous mid-size projects such as to allow to set an image as page background (additionally to custom paper pattern JavaScript code), to allow custom drawing tools coded in JavaScript, to allow to process an image before insertion (including cropping, finer rotation, etc.) and even more smaller issues such as to allow choosing colors by RGB or HSV value, to allow to name layers, etc. To give time lines is difficult, as I need to play around with possible implementations for many features until a find a suitable one.

@Jonphinguyen7: What should be the characteristics of such pencils?

An example would be pencil, instead of being smooth it writes like graphite. Or for chalk it will write grainy. The only example I can think of are the different pens in SNote.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Mirkokkk: Now I understand, this is an interesting idea, I noted it down.

@Jonphinguyen7 & Magnesus: OK, let me think a moment about that.

@grimloktt: You need to open the notebook in `notebook replay´, there recordings will be on the left and the notebook on the right (the divider can be moved left and right). When you zoom, also the pencil width is scaled accordingly.

Reactions: Mirkokkk

Jonphinguyen7

Oct 18, 2011
The writing might appear smoother if the pens worked like the one shown. With two sharp points by default. I noticed on LN that the pens are either squared off or rounded off by default.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354740717476.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354740717476.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 158
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354740732890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354740732890.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 156

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
It seems counter to intent. I like to zoom to write having more space but if pen is thicker it counters it. Maybe you could consider implementing option not to have it scaled? Maybe you could see how one note does it?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

I also think that would be great. I use a thick pencil, but once zoomed it becomes challenging to write effectively.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The technical issues first:

@JamMasterClay: To allow scrolling to continue with one finger after starting it with two fingers is intentionally, as it eases handling. When you lift one of the two fingers, zooming is immediately stopped, and one could of course also stop scrolling.

@Axel_: You can use an existing notebook as template for a new one, this copies all parameters including JavaScript code.

@tririver: 1. It might be that the ctrl-b/i/u are caught by the Android system before LectureNotes sees them. Have you tried to use alt or meta instead of ctrl? 2. LectureNotes does not directly interact with a soft or hardware keyboard, it only `sees´ a stream of key down and up events provided by the Android system.

Now the non-technical issues:

Many thanks for your comments and opinions.

I see chuckjones' points: updates are supposed to enhance workflow, not to break it; UI should remain fast, slim, and consistent; settings should remain managable.

For the first point, no one is forced to accept an update, you can remain with a given version if you are happy with it, or update less frequently. The fact that the `what's new´ section in Google Play didn't change for a new update is usually due to the delayed update of these sections.

Even though you might have gotten the opposite impression, I am actually quite picky concerning suggestions that make it into LectureNotes. I do not mind to add features that are maybe less critical but do not effect the overall response of the app (to display the first page on the notebooks board was mentioned as an example), but I am quite reluctant concerning the core functionality. I need to be convinced that a given suggestion and its implementation will fit into the UI, and I do turn down suggestions that do not fit according to my opinion (I make the effort to explain why I turn down a suggestion, though). This is the reason why it took quite long until the input zone (not relevant for users with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but quite critical for users with passive stylus) and the text layer was added, despite of hundreds of emails that I received, as I felt that the implementations that I was trying did not fit. And this is also the reason why the planned improvements of the text drawing tool will take some more time to come, as I am still not satisfied with my present realization. For the same reason, I do not like the idea of polls concerning new or revised features (even though I am a deeply democratic person), as I will likely feel obligated to follow them.

I might be wrong, but I think the main reason for the admittedly complex settings is not that LectureNotes has too many functions, but rather that I do not like the idea of imposing default values of a given functionality without the possibility to adjust them. I agree that the settings can be scary for a new users, but I try to give meaningful default values, so that with the exception of the input settings, no user is forced to deal with the settings.
    I received a couple of reports concerning strange `squiggled´ lines when using LectureNotes on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 devices. So far, only this device seems effected. It is not clear what is causing this problem, but I agree with ratindahat that it is probably a mixture of hardware and software.

I just uploaded v1.16.8 into Google Play in which there is a second input `filter´, namely to optionally discard coordinates `between´ input events sent by the Android system (which are called `historical input events´ in Android terms). In the filter input settings dialog, this is the first option, as this `filter´ is applied first, and the Ramer-Douglas-Peucker filter that is available since v1.16.3 is the second option, as this filter is applied second. Actually, these `historical´ events *should* be used, and not using them rather elaborates on the symptoms and does not solve the underlying problem, but I received some positive feedback from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 users so that you might wish to try this new `filter´.

I will try to get a hand on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 device to investigate this further (and hopefully find a work-around concerning the stylus button, too).
    I am not sure whether these features were requested in this thread or another, but I just uploaded v1.18.2 which allows to place widgets of notebook pages on the launcher screen and to exclude the notebook/folder name when using custom ZIP/PDF directory.

Not relevant for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 users, but stylus detection via software emulation functions now on Asus Nexus 7 and Samsung Nexus 10 with Adonit Jot-Pro and Wacom Bamboo stylus.
    @davidlondono & Axel_: I just uploaded v2.1.14 in which a viewed or shared image is automatically directed to an open notebook (at least within the first ten minutes after LectureNotes went into background, afterwards you will be asked about the notebook as before).

@Zantier & GreenFuzzer: The drawing tool icon is highlighted now when a drawing tool is active.