[USER Tips] HD/HD+ Stock Root User Tips from LeapinLar

8,873 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,880

By leapinlar, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th December 2012, 12:45 AM |#151  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
I'm not even sure if that is a good idea, many android devices have /mnt/sdcard mount for internal flash. And since we don't exactly have a full control of this yet, do you know does it work with MTP? What happend if you make these changes, and connect it to a PC for files transfer?
5th December 2012, 12:51 AM |#152  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Now I have Swype installed, still looks like I didn't messes up/system...

Sent from my BNTV600 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354665078699.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1537311  
5th December 2012, 01:01 AM |#153  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller

Don't bother changing the script to include this because I've discovered that it resets itself back to false. Not sure exactly when or how.

Maybe, I might be able to basically reapply the script everytime it reboot.
5th December 2012, 03:03 AM |#154  
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone0

I'm not even sure if that is a good idea, many android devices have /mnt/sdcard mount for internal flash. And since we don't exactly have a full control of this yet, do you know does it work with MTP? What happend if you make these changes, and connect it to a PC for files transfer?

Yeah, I was wondering if you could just alias it, provide an additional link *under* sdcard, so it can be reached from applications that only look at sdcard.

Sent from my BNTV600 using xda app-developers app
5th December 2012, 04:34 AM |#155  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone0

You were right. That mod really screwed up MTP. And so far my attempts to get the external SD to show up under the internal SD have not worked. I can get it to symlink to /data/media, which is the real location of /sdcard, but it does not show up on /mnt/sdcard. I'll keep playing as I think that may be the right solution rather than switching drives.

Edit: Got it to work. I mounted the external SD to /data/media early in the boot process so that when the /mnt's are mounted later the subdirectory sticks. It shows up as sdcard-ext under /mnt/sdcard. I just had to add two commands to boot_complete_hook.sh in /data. The challenge is going to be automating it. Someone0's and Verygreen's versions of that file are different. So we either have to have two versions depending on how the person rooted, or we need to figure how to edit that file on the fly.

Edit 2: This is going to be really easy. Just open the file /data/boot_complete_hook.sh with your root file manager. Add the two lines below to the very bottom of the text in that file. Save, making sure the permissions still say execute. Make sure you back up that file before editing. If you somehow mess it up you may need the original.

/data/su/busybox mkdir /data/media/sdcard-ext
/data/su/busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /data/media/sdcard-ext

Next time you boot, you should see a folder, sdcard-ext, under sdcard that has all your external SD files. If you don't have an external SD, it will be empty. MTP still works. If there is demand, I'm sure someone0 or myself could write a simple ADB script to automate this.

Edit: I now have a script that will swap sdcard and ext_sdcard. See my OP.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 09:43 AM |#156  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

You were right. That mod really screwed up MTP. And so far my attempts to get the external SD to show up under the internal SD have not worked. I can get it to symlink to /data/media, which is the real location of /sdcard, but it does not show up on /mnt/sdcard. I'll keep playing as I think that may be the right solution rather than switching drives.

Edit: Got it to work. I mounted the external SD to /data/media early in the boot process so that when the /mnt's are mounted later the subdirectory sticks. It shows up as sdcard-ext under /mnt/sdcard. I just had to add two commands to boot_complete_hook.sh in /data. The challenge is going to be automating it. Someone0's and Verygreen's versions of that file are different. So we either have to have two versions depending on how the person rooted, or we need to figure how to edit that file on the fly.

Edit 2: This is going to be really easy. Just open the file /data/boot_complete_hook.sh with your root file manager. Add the two lines below to the very bottom of the text in that file. Save, making sure the permissions still say execute. Make sure you back up that file before editing. If you somehow mess it up you may need the original.

Next time you boot, you should see a folder, sdcard-ext, under sdcard that has all your external SD files. If you don't have an external SD, it will be empty. MTP still works. If there is demand, I'm sure someone0 or myself could write a simple ADB script to automate this.

I have question about that interesting mod.
What happen to the files in the SD card if this mod is enabled and the 8 boot failed reset?
I don't want to lose all the files on my SD card.
5th December 2012, 03:50 PM |#157  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh369

I am not a Linux jock, is there a way to 'mount' the ext_sdcard as a directory under /mnt/sdcard?

Well, symbolic link is basically a linux tool that link a file or folder. It's not like Windows creating a shortcut. Thus it need to have a filesystem that support it. I don't think FAT32 or exFAT support it.

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebra

What happen to the files in the SD card if this mod is enabled and the 8 boot failed reset?

It will, there is nothing you can do about that.
5th December 2012, 04:28 PM |#158  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebra

I don't think anything will happen to your external SD on a reset. When the reset happens the external SD will not be mounted yet so it will wipe /data without touching the external card.

5th December 2012, 07:48 PM |#159  

More
Yes external sd wil be ok, anything saved to /mnt/sdcard or internal flash will be gone though. I think that is a very bad call for BN to do thing this way.
5th December 2012, 09:24 PM |#160  
Flag Philadelphia

More
---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
It will, there is nothing you can do about that.[/QUOTE]

Er, pull the SC card out when it starts to loop? I ALWAYS do that just in case...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Awesome, thanks!
5th December 2012, 09:34 PM |#161  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello. I tried the suggestion Someone0 made to help enable ADB (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=132)

Thing is, after it is all done, I get ADB Composite Interface (without the yellow warning sign)
and under portable devices, I get BNTV600.

When I type in CMD "adb devices" it says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file".
I did this multiple times to make sure that I did not do anything out of order. I am operating Windows 7 64bit.
Not sure what to do now. Should I stop? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Btw, I have read and read for hours before I made this post. I know how annoying it can get for you guys getting questions from us noobs constantly.

EDIT: I should mention that all I want is the access to google play store. Thank you again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)