[USER Tips] HD/HD+ Stock Root User Tips from LeapinLar

8,873 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,880

By leapinlar, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th December 2012, 09:34 PM |#161  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello. I tried the suggestion Someone0 made to help enable ADB (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=132)

Thing is, after it is all done, I get ADB Composite Interface (without the yellow warning sign)
and under portable devices, I get BNTV600.

When I type in CMD "adb devices" it says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file".
I did this multiple times to make sure that I did not do anything out of order. I am operating Windows 7 64bit.
Not sure what to do now. Should I stop? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Btw, I have read and read for hours before I made this post. I know how annoying it can get for you guys getting questions from us noobs constantly.

EDIT: I should mention that all I want is the access to google play store. Thank you again.
5th December 2012, 09:48 PM |#162  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
You gotta be kidding me. I gonna have somebody else answer this one.
5th December 2012, 10:03 PM |#163  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayw0rd

Hello. I tried the suggestion Someone0 made to help enable ADB (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=132)

Thing is, after it is all done, I get ADB Composite Interface (without the yellow warning sign)
and under portable devices, I get BNTV600.

When I type in CMD "adb devices" it says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file".
I did this multiple times to make sure that I did not do anything out of order. I am operating Windows 7 64bit.
Not sure what to do now. Should I stop? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Btw, I have read and read for hours before I made this post. I know how annoying it can get for you guys getting questions from us noobs constantly.

EDIT: I should mention that all I want is the access to google play store. Thank you again.

The problem is you either do not have those adb files I talked about in the first post in the folder you are running the command prompt from or you have not set the path for where they are. Windows cannot run adb unless it can find those files. Read that section again. The two paragraphs after step 7.
5th December 2012, 10:09 PM |#164  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone0

You gotta be kidding me. I gonna have somebody else answer this one.

Hahaha, sorry! Don't get too mad

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

The problem is you either do not have those adb files I talked about in the first post in the folder you are running the command prompt from or you have not set the path for where they are. Windows cannot run adb unless it can find those files. Read that section again. The two paragraphs after step 7.

Okay, thank you leapinlar. Will try to figure it out. Sorry for the noob questions. My first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayw0rd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sayw0rd Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 10:13 PM |#165  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayw0rd

Okay, thank you leapinlar. Will try to figure it out. Sorry for the noob questions. My first time.

If you don't ask questions, you will never know what step you were missing. I just modified my OP to make it clearer that those last two paragraphs are part of the steps.
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 11:53 PM |#166  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

This is going to be really easy. Just open the file /data/boot_complete_hook.sh with your root file manager. Add the two lines below to the very bottom of the text in that file. Save, making sure the permissions still say execute. Make sure you back up that file before editing. If you somehow mess it up you may need the original.

/data/su/busybox mkdir /data/media/sdcard-ext
/data/su/busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /data/media/sdcard-ext

Next time you boot, you should see a folder, sdcard-ext, under sdcard that has all your external SD files. If you don't have an external SD, it will be empty. MTP still works. If there is demand, I'm sure someone0 or myself could write a simple ADB script to automate this.

This sounds like it could be handy. Maybe add a mention of it into the "Data structures on the HD+" section of your OP?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkmiller For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lkmiller Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 12:56 AM |#167  

More
With that mod, I wonder can you still be able to safely unmount the SD card from the menu? I'm sure this is a minor issue, but it's as minor issue as many people who need to see external SD content from /mnt/sdcard. Somebody gotta ask the question, right?
6th December 2012, 04:53 AM |#168  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
is there a way to verify that ota updates are blocked?
6th December 2012, 04:58 AM |#169  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

With that mod, I wonder can you still be able to safely unmount the SD card from the menu? I'm sure this is a minor issue, but it's as minor issue as many people who need to see external SD content from /mnt/sdcard. Somebody gotta ask the question, right?

When you unmount using B&N settings, it only unmounts ext_sdcard, not sdcard-ext under sdcard. So I suppose it could be a safety issue if an app like your browser was writing to it while you physically pulled it out. But I never trust that unmount feature in settings and pull cards out while the device is still on. I always power down first anyway. But, admittedly, it could be an issue for some. It is probably not a good idea to pull the card out while still powered on if you make this mod.

MTP still works, with SD Card still being the external card and internal storage being the internal sdcard. The only difference is sdcard-ext also shows under internal memory as a folder there too. And the settings/storage page still shows the right size as actuals.

I have not given up on doing the swap safely. There is an app on play store that does it nicely, but if you want it to stick, it writes to /system and causes a reset. Fortunately, when it happened to me, I was able to recover with verygreen's CWM card. I just used ADB to remove the offending file it put there.

I just wish I could find a way to run a script on boot that is after the boot completes and all devices are mounted. Boot _complete_hook.sh is too early. Then I could easily do the swap safely.

Edit: I have added a script to my OP that will swap sdcard and ext_sdcard.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
6th December 2012, 06:49 AM |#170  

More
I remember there are some scripting app in the play store, but I don't know which one will do it base on scheduling or event? Maybe that's your solution?
I used to have a gscript, but it's glitchy.
6th December 2012, 09:52 AM |#171  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I remember there are some scripting app in the play store, but I don't know which one will do it base on scheduling or event? Maybe that's your solution?
I used to have a gscript, but it's glitchy.

I got it solved. I will post to my OP in the morning with some good stuff.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)