No SU binary installed?

Search This thread

ilogik

May 27, 2006
My phone was working fine until this morning when I tried to start wifitether and got the message "no SU binary installed" Does this mean I lost root somehow and have to root it again?

jonesin

Dec 16, 2010
Denver
My phone was working fine until this morning when I tried to start wifitether and got the message "no SU binary installed" Does this mean I lost root somehow and have to root it again?

Its possible that you removed root permissions solely for wifitether by accident. Uninstall and reinstall then when it fires up make sure you select allow when superuser popup comes on. If you know your way around you can avoid the uninstall by simply going into superuser app and fixing permissions for wifi tether. If not then you'll need to boot into recovery and reflash supersu as you did during the original root process.
hope this helps!

ilogik

May 27, 2006
When I open superSU it tells me there is no SU binary and SuperSU cannot install it.

jonesin

Dec 16, 2010
Denver
When I open superSU it tells me there is no SU binary and SuperSU cannot install it.

Ok thats your first problem. you should NOT be using SuperSU app, its not compatible with the SU binaries we have installed on this phone. Until further notice this app is NOT compatible and wont be supported. Do to the binaries we used during the root process you must use the "superuser" app from the market. Some people have hacked in different binaries but unless it is specified that SuperSU is compatible then always is superuser.:angel:

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Ok thats your first problem. you should NOT be using SuperSU app, its not compatible with the SU binaries we have installed on this phone. Until further notice this app is NOT compatible and wont be supported. Do to the binaries we used during the root process you must use the "superuser" app from the market. Some people have hacked in different binaries but unless it is specified that SuperSU is compatible then always is superuser.:angel:

Also if you have difficulties removing it then you may have to use tibu to freeze then uninstall SuperSU. If that doesnt work your only option will be ADB, it may just uninstall fine it may not it depends. But you need to get rid of it.

Last edited:

S121Guy

Mar 30, 2011

I was having issues like this. I had to swap between supersu and superuser. But it just never worked right. Once I flashed a new Rom it worked just fine.

sent from my rooted DNA

Jarocks

Jan 31, 2011

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Also if you have difficulties removing it then you may have to use tibu to freeze then uninstall SuperSU. If that doesnt work your only option will be ADB, it may just uninstall fine it may not it depends. But you need to get rid of it.

Given the phone is S-On the only real way to ensure a permanent, functional root on stock would be to first remove the SuperSU binary and app. It has been confirmed that SuperSU does not work.

This can be done directly from TWRP's file manager or ADB with the unsecured kernel:

The binary can be found at: /system/xbin/su
And the app can be found at: /system/app/superuser.apk

BOTH FILES must be removed. Freezing SuperSU will not work

Next download and then flash the following zip in TWRP or CWM:
Superuser Binary+App

At this point you should have fully functional root on stock

I was having issues like this. I had to swap between supersu and superuser. But it just never worked right. Once I flashed a new Rom it worked just fine.

sent from my rooted DNA

Again, simply flashing Superuser over SuperSU will not work, the app and binary must be removed before flashing.

Last edited:

jonesin

Dec 16, 2010
Denver
Given the phone is S-On the only real way to ensure a permanent, functional root on stock would be to first remove the SuperSU binary and app.

This can be done directly from TWRP's file manager or ADB with the unsecured kernel:

BOTH MUST be removed to avoid any issues

Next download and flash the following zip in TWRP or CWM:
http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip

Your methods will remove the ability to provide root permissions to any apps...?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Your methods will remove the ability to provide root permissions to any apps...?

You need the binaries and the app to get root perm on anything from within the rom. I don't recommend this.

Jarocks

Jan 31, 2011

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

You need the binaries and the app to get root perm on anything from within the rom. I don't recommend this.

The zip contains both the superuser app and corresponding su binary.

jonesin

Dec 16, 2010
Denver
The zip contains both the superuser app and corresponding su binary.

I overlooked the zip portion of your comment. I thought that you were saying to simply remove the app and the binary and reboot. However the binaries wont load from SuperSU in the first place so you should eb good to just get rid of SuperSU and install superuser. If everyone has been following the recommended rooting steps that is. But if that were the case noone would be installing SuperSU

ilogik

May 27, 2006
My system folder only contains /bin and nothing else. is there another system folder I should be in?

Reactions: tas2

droidmark

Oct 13, 2010
I'm having the same issue-- in TWRP file manager I see only system/bin. If I try to delete the files with adb it complains about a read-only filesystem.

Jrocker23

Mar 7, 2010
Staten Island, NY
I'm having the same issue-- in TWRP file manager I see only system/bin. If I try to delete the files with adb it complains about a read-only filesystem.

I know this is an old thread but if it helps others, I had the same issue with TWRP, there is an option in SuperSu to unistall and switch to a another superuser app. Put the superuser zip above on the phones memory card, then just install regular superuser from the market. Now go into SuperSu and pick the option to switch to another app, once done go into file explorer and delete the files stated above if they are there. Now reboot into recovery & flash the new superuser zip..

Last edited:
Reactions: droidmark

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Given the phone is S-On the only real way to ensure a permanent, functional root on stock would be to first remove the SuperSU binary and app. It has been confirmed that SuperSU does not work.

BOTH FILES must be removed. Freezing SuperSU will not work

Next download and then flash the following zip in TWRP or CWM:
    Superuser Binary+App

sent from my rooted DNA

Again, simply flashing Superuser over SuperSU will not work, the app and binary must be removed before flashing.
    My system folder only contains /bin and nothing else. is there another system folder I should be in?

I know this is an old thread but if it helps others, I had the same issue with TWRP, there is an option in SuperSu to unistall and switch to a another superuser app. Put the superuser zip above on the phones memory card, then just install regular superuser from the market. Now go into SuperSu and pick the option to switch to another app, once done go into file explorer and delete the files stated above if they are there. Now reboot into recovery & flash the new superuser zip..