[PETITION] Getting kernel sources from Micromax|GPL Violation|All Please Sign

Will Micromax lose you as a customer if they don't release the source code?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

varun.chitre15

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
Hello all,
As you all probably know there exists a popular brand in India which manufactures Android devices. It is Micromax Informatics Ltd.
This brand has been consistently rejecting to release kernel sources for any of their android devices which is direct violation of GNU GPL v2. And as a consequence of which we Recognized Contributors have initiated a petition in order to get the sources released so we developers can utilize the full potential of these devices.

I request you all both Indian and Non-Indian members, both Micromax and non-Micromax users to please support us by signing the petition at Change.org

Link to petition:
https://www.change.org/en-IN/petiti...pment-proceed-by-releasing-kernel-source-code

I also request you all please send this letter to Micromax over here

Requester: Enter your name.

ID (E-mail): Enter your email address.

Inquiry Type: Select "Request for Kernel Source Codes".

Model: Enter "Your Phone Model No and name".

Dear Micromax,

A great device becomes GREAT only when software truly compliments the hardware. We, the development community, are striving very hard to achieve that objective. Many users of Android based Micromax devices want to make the phones released by you truly inspirational and surpass any competition. These powerhouses will achieve its true potential only when the development community get the source code of their kernels

It not only benefits the end user but will also be highly beneficial for Micromax in the long run, as these customers will then get utmost satisfaction with their device and will then help in the word-of-mouth publicity of Micromax products all over the world.

A truly inspirational product is born when it inspires the masses and is able to mesmerize the entire world. With great phones like Micromax A100 and A110, we are witnessing a paradigm shift in the mobile industry and need your little help in making this turning point even more monumental.

Besides this, not releasing the sources is a direct violation of GPLv2. It is mandatory for every brand to release the kernel source code for every device they launch.

We hope we will not be disappointed by a customer centric company like yours. Hoping for a positive response.

Warm regards,
A true Micromax fan
Credits to @zoot1 for the reference letter

News: We crossed 1400 signatures!!

Please tweet this on their twitter page over here
https://twitter.com/Micromax_Mobile

Please post this on their facebook page over here
http://www.facebook.com/micromaxinfo

Last edited:

Debadatta

Dec 22, 2010
Kolkata
www.debadattabose.com
Do I change the petition email to the letter in the first post? Seems like a lot more effective than what I've written as the petition email.

Or maybe because people will be sending them independently via the contact page, I'll just let it be.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

varun.chitre15

Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
Do I change the petition email to the letter in the first post? Seems like a lot more effective than what I've written as the petition email.

Or maybe because people will be sending them independently via the contact page, I'll just let it be.

Yeah let it be :)
Crossed 100 signatures btw

varun.chitre15

Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
We need participation!
We need development!
We need the kernel source!

Signed, and trying to get others to chip in...

Most of the people are active on facebook group and are aware of my each and every post but on xda they aren't.
I will try to redirect some people here again
And thanks for signing :)

sumukh_rao

Mar 29, 2012
Bangalore
@varun bro....u can add the link to d thread or the petition to ur signature so tht whoever reads any of ur post in any thread in xda, they can sign it...btw, its just a suggestion

Regards

SR

varun.chitre15

Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
Yes we need to :)
Spread on Google+ and on social networking sites.
If you have a blog write it on it ;)

@all
Please see if you can publish this on your blogs!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,
    As you all probably know there exists a popular brand in India which manufactures Android devices. It is Micromax Informatics Ltd.
    This brand has been consistently rejecting to release kernel sources for any of their android devices which is direct violation of GNU GPL v2. And as a consequence of which we Recognized Contributors have initiated a petition in order to get the sources released so we developers can utilize the full potential of these devices.

I request you all both Indian and Non-Indian members, both Micromax and non-Micromax users to please support us by signing the petition at Change.org

Link to petition:
    https://www.change.org/en-IN/petiti...pment-proceed-by-releasing-kernel-source-code

I also request you all please send this letter to Micromax over here

Requester: Enter your name.

ID (E-mail): Enter your email address.

Inquiry Type: Select "Request for Kernel Source Codes".

Model: Enter "Your Phone Model No and name".

Dear Micromax,

A great device becomes GREAT only when software truly compliments the hardware. We, the development community, are striving very hard to achieve that objective. Many users of Android based Micromax devices want to make the phones released by you truly inspirational and surpass any competition. These powerhouses will achieve its true potential only when the development community get the source code of their kernels

It not only benefits the end user but will also be highly beneficial for Micromax in the long run, as these customers will then get utmost satisfaction with their device and will then help in the word-of-mouth publicity of Micromax products all over the world.

A truly inspirational product is born when it inspires the masses and is able to mesmerize the entire world. With great phones like Micromax A100 and A110, we are witnessing a paradigm shift in the mobile industry and need your little help in making this turning point even more monumental.

Besides this, not releasing the sources is a direct violation of GPLv2. It is mandatory for every brand to release the kernel source code for every device they launch.

We hope we will not be disappointed by a customer centric company like yours. Hoping for a positive response.

Warm regards,
    A true Micromax fan
    Credits to @zoot1 for the reference letter

News: We crossed 1400 signatures!!

Please tweet this on their twitter page over here
    https://twitter.com/Micromax_Mobile

Please post this on their facebook page over here
    http://www.facebook.com/micromaxinfo
    Reserved for more info

Yeah let it be :)
    Crossed 100 signatures btw
    We need participation!
    We need development!
    We need the kernel source!

Signed, and trying to get others to chip in...
    signed and mailed too hope we come up with something this time

edit:

it would be ideal to give a link to this thread just to inform them what community power can do