Captivate random shuts down

Search This thread

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

CM10 doesn't flash bootloaders. You'll know which bootloaders you're on with your boot screen (I897 or I9000).

In my sig, there's the link for the I9000 BLs if you wanna try them (at your own risk). Although, a couple other things can be checked first: Do you have Deep Idle on? Do you OC?

Also, you can try to up your min Mhz to 200 (from 100).

dozyaustin

Dec 12, 2010
CM10 doesn't flash bootloaders. You'll know which bootloaders you're on with your boot screen (I897 or I9000).

In my sig, there's the link for the I9000 BLs if you wanna try them (at your own risk). Although, a couple other things can be checked first: Do you have Deep Idle on? Do you OC?

well, I have had no SoD today. I made 2 changes: 1) made sure tomorrow's alarm was set immediately after waking up and 2) yesterday I enabled Google Now. Google now is probably the culprit. My battery life dropped a good deal, but no SoD.

Thanks for the info on bootloaders. I thought I would have had flashed them, given that I went to ICS 9and then JB) from Eclair .. but I will find time and reflash.

I did not modify the stock CM10 setup - it is too stable for me to mess with it. I am really enjoying the stability. But I have OC'd before, and remember that I could limite SoD by upping the idle Mhz to 200 .. it is good to have a grasp on what is going on - then I can start trying different things and see what gives the best result.

Thanks

freshlimes

Nov 7, 2012
California
Hi, I followed your suggestion of flashing the I9000 bootloader. My phone now gets past the Samsung Galaxy S screen but right after that it goes straight to CMW recovery.

EDIT: No matter what ROM I currently have flashed. (Currently flashing 4.2.1 prenightly CM10.1)

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Hi, I followed your suggestion of flashing the I9000 bootloader. My phone now gets past the Samsung Galaxy S screen but right after that it goes straight to CMW recovery.

EDIT: No matter what ROM I currently have flashed. (Currently flashing 4.2.1 prenightly CM10.1)

Having the I9000 bootloaders won't work for everyone and there are quite a few things you can do before flashing them, which I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.

gado45

Feb 8, 2012
Ok, after finding this post and reading some answers (impossible to read them all) I came to say that Im a victim too.. In my case, my problem first started when I rebooted to recovery, in the OS battery was like 77% and after reboot just 8% (always looses more than half) At first this was only when entering recovery but then happened on normal reboots too.. So literaly I wasnt able to reboot my phone without having a charger near.. Funny thing when it power off after that, I press power button and boots, 0%, shuts down again, I connect to charger, boot, then charging starts at 77% (or when it was last time before the problem)
This happened to me since jellybean I think, I can't remember having this kind of problems on ICS..
Well, since last night problem just got horrible! Totally ramdom shut downs, always while using the phone, I dont use set cpu (some mention this) I tought that my battery was like **** but finding this post makes me realize that is a software problem maybe..
Im now using hellybean 4.2.1 devil kernel all stock (connected to charger like all the time)

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Ok, after finding this post and reading some answers (impossible to read them all) I came to say that Im a victim too.. In my case, my problem first started when I rebooted to recovery, in the OS battery was like 77% and after reboot just 8% (always looses more than half) At first this was only when entering recovery but then happened on normal reboots too.. So literaly I wasnt able to reboot my phone without having a charger near.. Funny thing when it power off after that, I press power button and boots, 0%, shuts down again, I connect to charger, boot, then charging starts at 77% (or when it was last time before the problem)
This happened to me since jellybean I think, I can't remember having this kind of problems on ICS..
Well, since last night problem just got horrible! Totally ramdom shut downs, always while using the phone, I dont use set cpu (some mention this) I tought that my battery was like **** but finding this post makes me realize that is a software problem maybe..
Im now using hellybean 4.2.1 devil kernel all stock (connected to charger like all the time)

Really sounds like a bad battery.

Although, your battery stats might be all messed up, have you tried going in recovery and resetting them?

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

dozyaustin

Dec 12, 2010
I had that with the stock battery. When I replaced it, this went away - so far.

At first i used the 1800 mAh Samsung battery, but then it died and would not charge. Now, I bought an Anker 1800 mAh battery and it a) fits better than the Samsung, and it seems to work so far for more than a day of life!

With the new battery, I am now using Keep Alive - with only one SoD in a week.

meZQureshi

Jan 10, 2012
I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

Last night I let it completely drain then completely charged it. When I picked it up it read 99% battery immediately. I went to get ready for work and check my email and it was shut off. I had to restart it again. Since then it seems as if the battery is lasting longer.

Facing Same Problems on CM 10.1 Pre-Nightly. :(

gado45

Feb 8, 2012
So with the sod and the speaker problem I think our phones sucks, after changing them no one will want them so It will be with us FOREVER :)
After having SO MANY Sleep deaths on hellybean 4.2.1 my phone was like impossible to use without being connected to the charger, so I went back to stock with heimdall one click uckb2 and unfortunaly tried to flash bootloaders. Operation went wrong, but I still can enter download mode pretty easy, flashed again without bootloaders but device won't boot. And also, tried to flash stock 2.3.5 with odin but windows 8 did not recognize the device (samsung drivers already installed) what a cappy mess!!

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
So with the sod and the speaker problem I think our phones sucks, after changing them no one will want them so It will be with us FOREVER :)
After having SO MANY Sleep deaths on hellybean 4.2.1 my phone was like impossible to use without being connected to the charger, so I went back to stock with heimdall one click uckb2 and unfortunaly tried to flash bootloaders. Operation went wrong, but I still can enter download mode pretty easy, flashed again without bootloaders but device won't boot. And also, tried to flash stock 2.3.5 with odin but windows 8 did not recognize the device (samsung drivers already installed) what a cappy mess!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953930 for your connection problem.

Also, you will need to flash bootloaders, Odin KK4 with bootloaders is what you'll need.

gado45

Feb 8, 2012
What does mean if neither heimdall or odin doesnt pass the "set pit" point when trying to flash bootloaders?

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
What does mean if neither heimdall or odin doesnt pass the "set pit" point when trying to flash bootloaders?

Quick question, are you using Odin on a different USB port than with Heimdall? Heimdall instals it's on drivers so Odin won't work on the same USB port.

I'm thinking it is a connection problem if it doesn't get any further than the set pit. Is the light green (or yellow, red)?

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

gado45

Feb 8, 2012
Quick question, are you using Odin on a different USB port than with Heimdall? Heimdall instals it's on drivers so Odin won't work on the same USB port.

I'm thinking it is a connection problem if it doesn't get any further than the set pit. Is the light green (or yellow, red)?

I was using heimdall on a mac and odin with windows. Solved the problem, Im back on kk4.. My battery is really dead, shame that I have no time for buying an anker, will have to buy a samsung standar one again
EDIT: aparently SoD has gone with brand new battery using uckk4, have to go back to 4.2.1 now, my fear is that sod (or other problems) appears again and kills my new battery, I think I'll have to try

Last edited:

freshlimes

Nov 7, 2012
California
gado45 I went through the same thing. I bought a replacement battery off of Amazon and so far so good.

So after having no luck with the I9000 bootloaders, I awaited my new battery (that I had ordered two weeks prior) patiently. I received it the other day, So far, positive results. No restarts. After comparing my new battery with the stock Samsung battery, it seems that the stock battery had been warped and has a slight bulge on the cover-side of it. I mean your battery probably isn't that ruined but mine was definitely far beyond perfect.

johnnyrichter

Jul 4, 2012
Missouri
I've been suffering SoDs on my cappy. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any fix for it other than staying on stock software. I tried every possible solution that's been found with absolutely no luck.

spacecase-25

Oct 17, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm OC'd to 1200mhz and have bumped my voltages up 25mv across the board. Rock solid and my cappy is one that's plegued with the SoD issue. Not saying that 25mv will help anyone else's phone, but playing with the voltages seems to be a solution. I'm running Semaphore 2.9.5 with I9000 bootloaders. I've been on those bootloaders since GB. I had over 100 hours uptime (unheard of for my device) before I flashed a ROM update this morning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah interesting, I would think i9000 bootloaders on an i897 would CAUSE issues!

I put together a little package for anyone with an i897 captivate still having shutdown issues and is still frustrated. Give this a try, I have a feeling they will disappear.

Use this Odin one click to wipe/reset your phone to the latest official rom, uckk4. This one click INCLUDES the latest bootloaders ever released for our phone, both primary and secondary. These are the bootloaders that have made mine and others shutdown issue disappear. This is completely safe to one-click no matter what is on your phone right now, just use a reliable USB cable like with any other flash. No matter what state your phone is in, if you can get into download mode, this will wipe your phone to 2.3.5 with 2.3.5 bootloaders

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/i897uckk4 with latest BL.zip

After you've done that, use this odin package to install CWM recovery for the stock 2.3.5 installation you now have

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/uckk4 CWM recovery.zip

Now you can get into CWM and flash whatever rom you want! ICS, jellybean, whatever. And you now have the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders and your shutdown issue should be gone. I've done this several times to several captivates now with zero issues. I hope this helps someone!
    OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

Having the I9000 bootloaders won't work for everyone and there are quite a few things you can do before flashing them, which I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953930 for your connection problem.

Also, you will need to flash bootloaders, Odin KK4 with bootloaders is what you'll need.
    Edit: May/7 seems flashing the i9000 BL was a good idea, so far i have fully charged my phone twice and it did not shutdown, i've had no random reboots nor SOD at all. I'll keep testing.

-----------------------------------------------

Just for an update i think the i9000 bootloader will work i still need to test at list a week but if anyone else wants to try, i have read alot about this issue and people including devs have recommended it:

Here so useful info i have found:

Link to flash I9000 jvt bootloader and Odin:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23524416&postcount=916

Link for when using odin you get setting up connection.. which after unplug usb cable and re-starting in Download mode you get Firmware upgrade fail instead:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23171530&postcount=3

... yes i thought i had bricked my device (again) but thankfully i did not :cool:

NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN ODIN AS "run as administrator" AND ALSO IF YOU ARE ON ICS/MIUI/CM7 ROM AS I WAS YOU MUST GO BACK TO STOCK, I PERSONALLY USED THIS ROM TO GO BACK TO 2.3.5 STOCK USING HEIMDALL (ROM WITHOUT BOOTLOADER SO IS SAFER).
    ONCE YOU'RE IN STOCK IT'S BETTER IF YOU INSTALL Kies THAT WAY YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DRIVERS FOR STOCK (A RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION IS A MUST) SO YOU HAVE LESS CHANCE TO MESS UP USING ODIN.

So there you have it IF you want to test by yourself and not to wait for feedback after 4-5 days maybe a week of test for my/others part.

Ah and just in case another workaround i have find if your ROM have NS tools:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23383832&postcount=116

PS: If you need any driver just PM me, honestly this forum is a mess and even though im good with Android stuffs this is the first time i have trouble with a device (captivate) it has been a nightmare lol. So at this point i have researched alot and also it was a pain in the butt find the nexus S drivers to get adb working when i flashed ICS and not because i did not search for them but because all kind of reputable links were down or not working BUT i ended up finding the correct drivers.

~ Veronica