Jellybean High Resolution contact icons DO NOT SYNC properly

Search This thread

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Last night once we got the JB update, I took the liberty of going to each one of my of my contacts facebook, saving a high res picture of them and then adding it to their contact profile in my phone from the SD card. I'm that guy that has to have good looking pictures for everyone when they call.

With ICS we got a bump in contact icon size. However when you switch roms and your contacts get sync'd to the new rom, their icons are blurry and low res like hell. This was supposedly fixed in Jellybean. So as I stated above I took the time (almost 3 hours actually) to update some 200 contacts.

I just want to let you guys know, don't waste your time, it's not fixed rofl. Googles contact sync feature still completely decimates high res pictures into 3x3 pixelated bogus.

That is all. -___-

jauger

Jun 9, 2008
Memphis Tennessee
All of mine are high res....just dont be in a hurry to sync everything or they will look like crap...Ive tested this with several installs...set up your google contacts when you first boot, nothing else...give the rom time to settle, especially let the sync icon stop..do your google play, whatever while you wait....then setup facebook with "existing contacts"...give it a bit to run and you should have high res contatcs..

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
All of mine are high res....just dont be in a hurry to sync everything or they will look like crap...Ive tested this with several installs...set up your google contacts when you first boot, nothing else...give the rom time to settle, especially let the sync icon stop..do your google play, whatever while you wait....then setup facebook with "existing contacts"...give it a bit to run and you should have high res contatcs..

I did exactly that when I discovered they didn't sync in high resolution. I did a factory format and started over and they still synced in low res quality. :(

jauger

Jun 9, 2008
Memphis Tennessee
Thats odd, cause Im sitting here looking at mine and there is a huge difference from ICS....Last night when I only set up Google then played around for awhile I noticed how great they looked...today when I reinstalled and rushed through the setup they looked horrible...reinstalled again and took my time and they look great again....

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Thats odd, cause Im sitting here looking at mine and there is a huge difference from ICS....Last night when I only set up Google then played around for awhile I noticed how great they looked...today when I reinstalled and rushed through the setup they looked horrible...reinstalled again and took my time and they look great again....

I'm trying again. Just formatted factory. Signing all my stuff in now..

jauger

Jun 9, 2008
Memphis Tennessee
Only Google....leave everything else alone for a bit...

This pic looked horrible on ICS....(sorry about the dog as a example :p )

Attachments

• 2012-12-14_17-11-21.jpg
    2012-12-14_17-11-21.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 533

kusanagi-sama

Nov 24, 2011
Wichita Falls, TX
If you want proper hi-res contact photos, use a real JB ROM like CyanogenMod or an AOSP ROM. Contact photos will always be hi-res once you update the photo to a hi-res one.

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Only Google....leave everything else alone for a bit...

This pic looked horrible on ICS....(sorry about the dog as a example :p )

How they look after being synced

ta36fa.jpg

How they look after re-adding the photo after sycing is 100% finished

2jct5au.jpg

See what I'm saying? It's doing butchering the contact icons. I'm not sure how you're getting them to sync properly but I've added the pics from the contact app and also at google.com/contacts @_@

jauger

Jun 9, 2008
Memphis Tennessee
Wow, not getting that on mine...sorry dude.....are you stuck on 3g only maybe?? I dunno...Ive got 4g and thats the only other thing I can think of, amount of data downloading...

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
If you want proper hi-res contact photos, use a real JB ROM like CyanogenMod or an AOSP ROM. Contact photos will always be hi-res once you update the photo to a hi-res one.

I uploaded them through both my phone and google.com/contacts, which is where they're pulled from for syncing. You'd think high res icons at the source = high res icons at the destination but I'm not seeing it lol.

saboture

Jul 25, 2009
Charleston, WV
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
you guys should really get hax-sync
its an app that lets you use proper photos from FB and syncs them to the contacts, although google has talked about this before and there is a fix in the works but dont expect it until key lime pie
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&hl=en

While Facebook sync is a great option for people who aren't picky about their contact icons, a lot of my friends have pictures of them kissing their girlfriends, or blowing out clouds of smoke or have profile pictures that aren't even them. I'm just confused to why google has said this is fixed, when it is not. I've done a factory wipe multiple times now and cannot get the high resolution pictures to stay high res once synced. Only way to do it is to manually set the picture phone side, and not google side.

If I back up my contacts through Titanium Back up with the high resolution icons, that theoretically would preserve everything, correct?

BrianBaker

Dec 15, 2009
Apopka FL
you guys should really get hax-sync
its an app that lets you use proper photos from FB and syncs them to the contacts, although google has talked about this before and there is a fix in the works but dont expect it until key lime pie
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync&hl=en

If you're having issues just use Haxsync like mentioned above..I always used Haxsync but since upgrading to JB all of my photos are Hig Resolution already even after syncing(its even pulling high rez photos from my facebook contacts) So i've yet to re install Haxsync.

ronniemayo

Oct 25, 2012
Flint
It is fixed. If you sync from facebook, go to your people app and just click a contact,back out,then go back in and it resizes automatically... For me at least.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FML. I feel like everyone has this feature working but me. hahaha :rolleyes:

nope same here thats why i use hax sync, my contact photos would always be blurry as well so i had to use it but it sound like youve got a real conundrum there, hax sync was my only answer so im out :(