Opening the back cover of this device will void your warranty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

The Afroman

Jun 7, 2006
So i have been having issues with my device. The device will shut off, sometimes not charge properly and the device will die and i will have to unplug the battery and plug it back in to power cycle the device and for it to register a charge. So i decided to call and explain this to the "tech" the moment i mentioned that i opened the device and did this they said i had "voided" my warranty and i would have to contact Asus.

Yeah. I voided my warranty by popped open the back and unplugged the battery. This is how i was treated. Also.. I then request a supervisor who then states the same thing.. they give me a "mercy" repair and then proceed to setup a repair, but they have "noted" that i have voided my warranty by "messing with the internal components, and that the back was not made to be opened." That if they verify that i have "messed with this" i will be charged the full amount for the replacement device.

Seriously? I am fuming right now. they pretty much made me feel like i had broken a law by opening up their PLASTIC device. the back is held on by clips.. no screws, warranty stick, or any other type of method of removal. I was told that the "normal" consumer would never do that... and that i definitely voided my warranty.. I am so peeved right now i could hit something. Seriously?!

Good job Google. Your first major device made by "you" and this is how you treat your customer. Thank god i'm an Apple user and i was an ex-Applecare rep and RULE 1, you never accuse the customer of doing anything. You never make them feel like some inept POS because you popped off a battery cover. WOW. Last Google product i buy. Seriously. I have never had a customer experience where i was berated on the phone as some sort of villain.. by 2 "techs" Not only that.. the "supervisor" said .."oh sir, it's not that easy to pop the back off.. you really have to get IN THERE"

Peeved. XDA has anyone been treated like that by them? I thought the Nexus line was for the "tech savy" you know the ones that can root, unlock, and develop.. yet i was treated like a criminal for doing some basic trouble shooting. I told the tech on the phone.. what if i had bought this 2nd hand and couldn't turn it on.. the SERIAL NUMBER IS ON THE INSIDE LID.. she just said.. "well i understand that.. but you still voided your warranty.."

WOW.

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
So i have been having issues with my device. The device will shut off, sometimes not charge properly and the device will die and i will have to unplug the battery and plug it back in to power cycle the device and for it to register a charge. So i decided to call and explain this to the "tech" the moment i mentioned that i opened the device and did this they said i had "voided" my warranty and i would have to contact Asus.

Yeah. I voided my warranty by popped open the back and unplugged the battery. This is how i was treated. Also.. I then request a supervisor who then states the same thing.. they give me a "mercy" repair and then proceed to setup a repair, but they have "noted" that i have voided my warranty by "messing with the internal components, and that the back was not made to be opened." That if they verify that i have "messed with this" i will be charged the full amount for the replacement device.

Seriously? I am fuming right now. they pretty much made me feel like i had broken a law by opening up their PLASTIC device. the back is held on by clips.. no screws, warranty stick, or any other type of method of removal. I was told that the "normal" consumer would never do that... and that i definitely voided my warranty.. I am so peeved right now i could hit something. Seriously?!

Good job Google. Your first major device made by "you" and this is how you treat your customer. Thank god i'm an Apple user and i was an ex-Applecare rep and RULE 1, you never accuse the customer of doing anything. You never make them feel like some inept POS because you popped off a battery cover. WOW. Last Google product i buy. Seriously. I have never had a customer experience where i was berated on the phone as some sort of villain.. by 2 "techs" Not only that.. the "supervisor" said .."oh sir, it's not that easy to pop the back off.. you really have to get IN THERE"

Peeved. XDA has anyone been treated like that by them? I thought the Nexus line was for the "tech savy" you know the ones that can root, unlock, and develop.. yet i was treated like a criminal for doing some basic trouble shooting. I told the tech on the phone.. what if i had bought this 2nd hand and couldn't turn it on.. the SERIAL NUMBER IS ON THE INSIDE LID.. she just said.. "well i understand that.. but you still voided your warranty.."

WOW.

Is there any documentation that came bundled with your device that clearly provides instructions for how to remove the back cover and how to disconnect the battery? does the device even have a battery that is user removable and replaceable ?

no to both and you knew that... you had to search for information online to perform that and you still did it knowing full well that wasn't allowed.

the moment your device showed any signs of issues you should have contacted Google to get an RMA

Warranty is present on our devices with rules in place. you broke the rules and then admitted to it to a tech and expect something different?

You are not supposed to open the cover plain and simple, if you expect the company that sold it to you to honor the warranty which means they trust you haven't touched anything inside then you leave it alone and always contact them for service. that's your complete circle..

Open your device and you lose that ability because now it is assumed A. you have touched or modified something, B. you know what you are doing since you have opened the device up.

They have no idea what you have done, you expect them to just take your word for it? I'd love to see that fly at the dealership on your new car... "Yea the engine blew, it was making a ticking sound but before notifying you guys I went ahead and took the engine cover off and looked around and also changed a few things but i still have my warranty right? kthnxbai

The Nexus line has nothing to do with being for people that are tech savy... thats just the general consensus of people that choose ANDROID over IOS.

People buy the Nexus line because they want the full unmodified Google experience AND the latest OS updates from Google plain and simple.

Either play by their rules and leave the device alone and if it has issues notify them, get an RMA and send it back that's what they are there for. not to clean up the mess that happens after you touched the device in a way you weren't supposed to.

Even if you didn't do anything other than open the cover, how are they supposed to know? just trust you? :laugh:

Why did they accuse you? because like an idiot you just told them straight up yes I opened the device even though I know i'm not supposed to.

Lucky they gave you the mercy repair....

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
Well i feel for you brother, it's not like you broke the device yourself...that said it's pretty clear the back cover is not designed to be removed by consumers, and you really should have known that disconnecting the battery could technically void your warranty.

While some companies may be lenient with their warranty policies, you certainly shouldn't expect it; so to admit.that you played around with the internals was a little naive i'm afraid. I remember hearing a story about techs at one company being instructed to look for rooted phones that had been sent in so that the warranty could be voided (because technically rooting was a breach of conditions).

But look, you might get lucky and they won't charge you if the fault is obviously not your fault. I hope it works out for you.

DarkSankaku

Dec 17, 2012
I'd have been more surprised if they did NOT void the warranty when you told them that. Its pretty common sense that you should not tell techs that you have opened a device.

pboesboes

Mar 25, 2012
Peeved. XDA has anyone been treated like that by them? I thought the Nexus line was for the "tech savy" you know the ones that can root, unlock, and develop.. yet i was treated like a criminal for doing some basic trouble shooting.
Sounds to me like you were treated as someone who voided his warranty. Which is exactly what you did. Sounds fair to me.

It's your responsibility to know what voids the warranty, and you're trying to make others suffer for your mistake.

And the tech savvy people know that when they open up and mess with their devices, they're on their own.

FYI, the Nexus 7 back cover is not made to be just popped off like many phone back covers so you probably damaged something as well.

adamhlj

Apr 24, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Taking the back off the N7 does not void the warranty. However, I think there is a "VOID" sticker on one of the screws that keep the battery connected to the device that if removed, this DOES void the warranty. I would look, but I can't pop the back off my N7 because I just clipped my fingernails, haha. But I have taken off the back of my previous N7s various times and sent them all back with out any problems. I just haven't tampered with the stickers that say "VOID" on them.

odd1ne

Nov 26, 2012
Birmingham
They made it a sealed back for a reason they don't want people messing and you have silly to do it. Its like moaning you have bricked your nexus and moaning they won't give you a new one. Same as in game shops the minute you take it out the cellophane its none-returnable. You should of phoned them straight away when you noticed the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The Afroman

Jun 7, 2006
Look. Seriously I understand. I get it. If i damaged the device, the warranty should be voided. But i didn't. Second. Most devices, that do NOT want you in the back would..
A.) Not make the back held on by snaps, that are super easy to remove (please don't tell me it's hard or difficult to remove because it's not) The devices that have tamper proof backs have screws with warranty voiding measures like a sticker that says (VOID WARRANTY) and a screw under it.. Or they would have a security Torx screw.. or something! Go check your devices..
B.) I have spent hours looking and reading the warranty manual and NOTHING in there says you can't remove the battery back. Have anyof you owned a Galaxy S (the original) the battery back snaps on the exact same way. you have to pop it off with snaps all around the edge. Also.. nothing inside the back says "HEY if you remove this you void your warrenty!"
C.) I get the battery is not user replaceable.. sort of.. it's one plug and you pop it out.. but i think the battery is held with glue so i wouldn't remove it.. but come on guys i'm seriously not trying to be a ****, i know if i had opened something that said "DONT OPEN" or there was a screw on back i wouldn't have said anything when i called.. but this is silly.. the moment i mentioned i popped the back off, they threw up there hands and ignored the fact that the device was having issues prior..
D.) In the Warranty paper work it says "the Product has been tampered with, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnal:" So opening the back that is easy to open but has no TAMPER PROOF anything voids your warranty.. in that sentence i don't think i did ANY OF IT. I didn't take it apart, unscrew, replace parts, etc.. all i did was open to unplug and plug battery back in.. if thats tampering.. then we ALL have void our warranties on MANY devices as i'm sure that wording is used on MANY devices warranties.

Seriously though I know when i have been beaten. I can admit defeat but the way i was treated on the phone was awful. I can't understand how that is good customer service. Adult conversation here.

Frostfree

Apr 8, 2008
And you blame Google for this.....:confused:

If your device was cutting out and not charging then why didn't you get it repaired or replaced under warranty instead of messing about with the internals? Clearly you must have done more than just opening the back cover, someone who goes that far will meddle with the battery and connectors which definitely VOIDS your warranty. It's not the same as opening the back cover of a Galaxy phone that has a user replaceable battery.... this doesn't

Seriously the more people like you move back to Apple the better these forums would get. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Divine_Madcat

rcarnes911

Nov 29, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch

If your device was cutting out and not charging then why didn't you get it repaired or replaced under warranty instead of messing about with the internals? Clearly you must have done more than just opening the back cover, someone who goes that far will meddle with the battery and connectors which definitely VOIDS your warranty. It's not the same as opening the back cover of a Galaxy phone that has a user replaceable battery.... this doesn't

Seriously the more people like you move back to Apple the better these forums would get. Good luck

The battery connection problem is very common many people have fixed it the way he tried the only mistake he made is telling them about it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The Afroman

Jun 7, 2006

If your device was cutting out and not charging then why didn't you get it repaired or replaced under warranty instead of messing about with the internals? Clearly you must have done more than just opening the back cover, someone who goes that far will meddle with the battery and connectors which definitely VOIDS your warranty.

Wow. More people like you make Google users seem elitist. Yes i did unplug the battery you know that thing we as electronic users have been doing for YEARS. it was the only way to get it to turn back on.. is that too difficult for you? I like how you probably have never read the warranty insert but are already siding with a company of their "meaning" of the rules.

I guess everyone here would be ok if you mentioned resetting the batteries in your remote control for your TV and they said. OH well you voided the warranty..?

The Afroman

Jun 7, 2006
The battery connection problem is very common many people have fixed it the way he tried the only mistake he made is telling them about it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Thank you. Someone understands.. I admit i guess it was my fault for mentioning.. it. Now my account is "has been noted" So now i will probably not send it in for repair, because they seem to "maybe" want to charge me full price which BTW is 200 for an 8GB they don't even have it set to 150 as it should be for a device that has been replaced pricewise for the 16GB.

biggggant

Jan 23, 2007
Jacksonville
wow the back of the nexus is not like any phone back. there is a groove or a notch to remove phone backs. Thats like saying the ipod back is removable since its not screwed down. I can remove an ipod back almost as easy as taking off the nexus 7's back but I also know I'm not supposed to. It sucks what they told you but crying foul is almost as bad. Luckily they are going to help you anyway

The Afroman

Jun 7, 2006
Nonsense, just hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.

Tried. Multiple times. Nothing.. the screen would stay black. battery wouldn't charge. i had to unplug battery and plug back in.. to get the charger to work. even bought 2 3rd party chargers that work for nexus to get it to respond. nothing. battery had to be unplugged and plugged back in. only way to get my device to work. I guess i shouldn't have said that and lied. *sigh*

Mac of York

Jun 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
Sorry to hear this man, I'm following this thread pretty closely. I am getting a N7 here next week (Christmas, I hope), so trying to see what others issues with it are. I hope this works out for you :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WOW.

Is there any documentation that came bundled with your device that clearly provides instructions for how to remove the back cover and how to disconnect the battery? does the device even have a battery that is user removable and replaceable ?

no to both and you knew that... you had to search for information online to perform that and you still did it knowing full well that wasn't allowed.

the moment your device showed any signs of issues you should have contacted Google to get an RMA

Warranty is present on our devices with rules in place. you broke the rules and then admitted to it to a tech and expect something different?

You are not supposed to open the cover plain and simple, if you expect the company that sold it to you to honor the warranty which means they trust you haven't touched anything inside then you leave it alone and always contact them for service. that's your complete circle..

Open your device and you lose that ability because now it is assumed A. you have touched or modified something, B. you know what you are doing since you have opened the device up.

They have no idea what you have done, you expect them to just take your word for it? I'd love to see that fly at the dealership on your new car... "Yea the engine blew, it was making a ticking sound but before notifying you guys I went ahead and took the engine cover off and looked around and also changed a few things but i still have my warranty right? kthnxbai

The Nexus line has nothing to do with being for people that are tech savy... thats just the general consensus of people that choose ANDROID over IOS.

People buy the Nexus line because they want the full unmodified Google experience AND the latest OS updates from Google plain and simple.

Either play by their rules and leave the device alone and if it has issues notify them, get an RMA and send it back that's what they are there for. not to clean up the mess that happens after you touched the device in a way you weren't supposed to.

Even if you didn't do anything other than open the cover, how are they supposed to know? just trust you? :laugh:

Why did they accuse you? because like an idiot you just told them straight up yes I opened the device even though I know i'm not supposed to.

Lucky they gave you the mercy repair....
    Yeah I don't know where you all are coming from with this openly hostile reaction to the OP about admitting that he opened the device and he should just "KNOW" that this somehow is going to void the warranty.

In the US at least, you really need to take a look at the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to find out about legal requirements for anything that has a warranty in this country. You can't simply say that opening the back of a device voids the warranty if that SPECIFIC ACT is not declared in the warranty itself (it is not, easily determinable if one just reads the warranty included with the product).

Going off and telling the guy that he did something wrong when you all haven't even done the basics of looking at the warranty or relevant legal standards that apply to it is just crazy wrong. He could open it, install a new LCD, solder a SD card slot to the system, install a new speaker and hold it underwater for an hour and the company would still be bound to honor the warranty which is to repair manufacturing defects and the burden of proof is on THE COMPANY not him to prove that any malfunction was a result of his use and not a manufacturing defect.

As far as anyone denying him service, it's the company's precognitive to say yes or no to anyone they want to and you don't need a lawyer to change their mind, you simply take the company to small claims court. It normally costs about $25 to file a claim, takes a few weeks and then you stand in front of a judge and explain that the thing broke, they refused to fix it, here is the warranty, they claimed me opening it voided the warranty, there is no such provision in the document, I would like my money back, thank you.

For a group of modders and hackers to simply consent to rolling over for a company and imply that this guy did something wrong by opening HIS device is just sort of sad. We have every right to take things apart, tinker like mad and have fun with it. If we break it it's on us and if it has a manufactures defect it's on them.
    Xda seems full of assholes today.. (not you op!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    It's fairly standard procedure that none removable back devices aren't meant to be opened.

Sent from my MB525 using xda app-developers app

Pretty much this.

Sadly, companies still try to apply some common sense. If you have to pry something open to get to the parts, it is probably not made to be user serviced; as such, your warrenty is void if they can prove you did it.

Now, i will be honest.. this is XDA, home of the "Your warranty is now void" saying. I think its fair that users here should realize most of what we do voids warranties (remember, most makers consider non standard software as warranty voiding). Most of what we do, we do a our own risk, and accept that problems may have consequences.

Frankly, when people have problems like this, your best course is to send it back, and let them work on it. You are welcome to fiddle, but you should not expect your warranty intact.

Since i think this thread has run its course, and people are now just arguing with each other, i am going to close this down..
    I agree with the others about what you did is known by most as voiding the warranty. I can't easily pop the back off so I don't even try.
    As for Apple. What a joke. You don't even know how many Apple people have an Elitist attitude if you think some of the people here have it. Some actually believe I only have Android devices because I “can't afford" an iPhone. The dumb ass people don't realize some of these Android devices are the exact same price and at times more than the iPhone.
    Customer Service. Apple is no better at times either. I have multiple Apple devices and have had to deal with them myself at times. Not living near an Apple store dealing with them over the phone has been a major pain at times. Your mad because of how you were treated with your $199-$249 tablet, hell it could even be the mobile version. I was treated like **** and I was calling about my $2,500 MacBook Pro. People will have good and bad experiences. It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk