[DEV] GSM phone calls on Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

Shinj1EVA

Mar 4, 2008
Asus is useless.

Our device can enter APX mode (Power+Volume Up) which we should be able to access with nvflash, but I've got no idea how to use it.

Synman

Recognized Developer
Asus is useless.

Our device can enter APX mode (Power+Volume Up) which we should be able to access with nvflash, but I've got no idea how to use it.

I played with nvflash quite a bit back in the day with my gtab while working (loosely) with Clemsyn to do stuff there.

We always had partition map files to work from. Something I'm guessing we will have to build for the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jitzbox

SliderSD

Nov 30, 2011
Hey guys, any new information here?

I have only a little bit experience in deeper kernel/android modding, but I want to help where possible!

Thanks for all your effort!

Sent from my Nexus 7 3g using xda app-developers app

Reactions: denzel09 and phonic

Shinj1EVA

Mar 4, 2008
I got my new Nexus 7 3G in today. We need to figure out how to flash the baseband without destroying the IMEI. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about baseband hacking. I've contributed as much as I can to this cause, time for someone with a deeper understanding of the baseband to take the torch.

I'll keep the "broken" tilapia for a few days if someone can figure out how to restore the IMEI, but it's got to go back to Google soon.

Synman, any ideas?

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
What was the exact procedure you used to actually get that baseband flashed that borked your IMEI? Maybe if there's a way to dump that partition and the one from your new Nexus, you can find some sort of difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 HSPA+

insel01

Apr 21, 2010
Lübeck
sorry, its german

Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?

mburris

Dec 5, 2007
Hallo! Bin über meinen Beruf in die tegra3 Struktur geraten und bin einer Lösung für Telefonanrufe sehr nahe! google hat eine Sperre zum Anmelden in die Zellen der Mobilfunkbetreiber gesetzt.
Ich kann bis jetzt Anrufe im Vorwahlbereich meines Standortes führen (nur Festnetz), nur noch keine Anrufe erhalten oder zu Mobilnummern führen.

Ich muß leider erstmal prüfen ob ich hier durch meinen Arbeitgeber oder anderen Firmen Probleme bekomme und hoffe bis Weihnachten meinen jetzigen Lösungsansatz mit Euch teilen zu können!?

Rough Translation:
Hello! Here at my job I work with tegra3 and I am very close to finding a solution to making calls. Google has a lock to log into the cells of the mobile operators.
My progress so far: I can make outgoing calls to numbers with the same area code (landline only), but not receive incoming calls from mobile numbers (Possibly same area code only).

I have to make sure I'm not breaking any NDAs with my company before I can post this half-working solution.

Thanks meter is on the left :)

Last edited:

bertliza

Dec 2, 2012
Finding Nexus 7 IMEI

Synman said last Dec 17, 2012:

//The IMEI # that I got stuck with appears to be a well known "generic" "black listed" IMEI. It is not allowed on the ATT network.//

As I understand in this, and other similar comments, there is a problem in determining the IMEI of each unit.

Some phones have their IMEIs indicated in the Settings, About Phone,

but IMEI of the Nexus 7 is not indicated in the Settings, About Tablet.

The tablet's IMEI can be found however in:

Data from Google Accounts, Dashboard

Android devices
Name: Asus Nexus 7
More data stored about this device

InvaderX

Dec 24, 2012
@bertliza
The IMEI is indicated in Settings, About Tablet, Status.. You have just to scroll the popup down.

BTW: How can I find out if my IMEI is blacklisted?

@insel01
Es wäre toll, wenn du noch irgendwelche Informationen geben könntest um zu helfen, auch wenn du uns den hack nicht verraten darfst. Vielleicht kannst du ja die Lösung anonym veröffentlichen (bzw. jemanden hier per PM schicken), damit du keine Schwierigkeiten bekommst
[It would be great if you could give more information to help, even if you are not allowed to reveal the hack. Maybe you can publish the solution anonymous or send it somebody via PM, so you don't get in trouble.]

Last edited:
Reactions: bertliza

Shinj1EVA

Mar 4, 2008
Synman said last Dec 17, 2012:

//The IMEI # that I got stuck with appears to be a well known "generic" "black listed" IMEI. It is not allowed on the ATT network.//

As I understand in this, and other similar comments, there is a problem in determining the IMEI of each unit.

Some phones have their IMEIs indicated in the Settings, About Phone,

but IMEI of the Nexus 7 is not indicated in the Settings, About Tablet.

The tablet's IMEI can be found however in:

Data from Google Accounts, Dashboard

Android devices
Name: Asus Nexus 7
More data stored about this device

That's assuming you linked up your device with a Google account. Also, what's reported there is just what the OS sees from the RIL. So a much more direct method would just be to request it from the baseband processor via AT commands. We're not having a problem determining the IMEI number. Once we flash another radio, the baseband starts reporting a blacklisted IMEI number instead of the original, valid IMEI that shipped with the device.

Reactions: bertliza

Synman

Recognized Developer
I got my new Nexus 7 3G in today. We need to figure out how to flash the baseband without destroying the IMEI. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about baseband hacking. I've contributed as much as I can to this cause, time for someone with a deeper understanding of the baseband to take the torch.

I'll keep the "broken" tilapia for a few days if someone can figure out how to restore the IMEI, but it's got to go back to Google soon.

Synman, any ideas?

I'm in a similar place although I have a couple last minute ideas before I ship the bad one off. I would expect to at least be able to do an emergency call with the bad IMEI but even that function fails. So while the RIL and the baseband are talking at a base API (interface) level there appears to be other things at play.

Perhaps our German friend can provide something substantive. At this point though it appears to be nothing more than a ruse.

Synman

Recognized Developer
@insel01
Es wäre toll, wenn du noch irgendwelche Informationen geben könntest um zu helfen, auch wenn du uns den hack nicht verraten darfst. Vielleicht kannst du ja die Lösung anonym veröffentlichen (bzw. jemanden hier per PM schicken), damit du keine Schwierigkeiten bekommst
[It would be great if you could give more information to help, even if you are not allowed to reveal the hack. Maybe you can publish the solution anonymous or send it somebody via PM, so you don't get in trouble.]

^^^^ This!

C

cjsspape

Assuming it wasn't just some troll trying to get people's hopes up. Anyone can create an account and claim to be able to do something. The fact that our hero hasn't returned seems to indicate that it was just all BS.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been following this and see the progress and am absolutely convinced this is possible via software modding (I'm waiting on the new year to get this device so I may try to lend whatever I can to this) As I know it the tegra3 is the cpu/gpu and handles those processes. The ability for telephony services are handled by the radio which is where the problem is with flashing a compatible radio. I'm failing to see the connection of his claims to the problem at hand. I know from working/learning to compile cm & aokp for the gnote2 working with source and a new device tree forked from the international note we had to change the ro.telephony ril from the default samsungexynos ril to a more compatible qualcomm ril reflecting the radio network settings properly. Just from my limited experience it seems like that may be a similar issue here where the radio settings have to reflect the hardware just right. I may be way off base but trying to throw things out to help the cause.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BEFORE YOU POST HERE - Keep in mind this is now a DEV thread and only those with a glimpse of DEV knowledge should be posting.
    There is other thread with the same subject open to everybody discuss it.

Please, this thread isn't related to VOIP, SIP calls or Tethering and
    It's only to 3G version of Nexus 7.

What do you think is the possibility of us getting this function guys, even if its not officially supported.

I've seen it built in on the 7" samsung galaxy tab 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9RN...t=HL1351349133

At the moment we know:

1- The chipset Intel (Infineon) XMM6260 is built-in on Nexus 7 3G (the same chipset is in that rather long list of phones). It means no hardware limitations.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34386544&highlight=6260#post34386544
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...exus_7_3g_32gb
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1483053

it also the same controller is in the following devices

- Lava XOLO X900 [Phone]
    - Lenovo K800 [Tablet/Pad]
    - LG-P920 (LG ?) [Phone]
    - LG-P925 (LG Optimus 3D?) [Phone]

- Huawei E369 (3G Hi-Universe) [USB 3G Modem]
    - Huawei MU733/MU739 [PC/CE Module]
    - Samsung Galaxy Nexus (I9200) [Phone]

2- SMS texting works perfectely with the native mms.apk but MMS messages crash the app (missed mms APN + framework parameters?)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998702&page=4

3- Modified framework-res.apk (by modifying bools.xml entry to name="config_voice_capable">true) shows up the native dialer (phone.apk) on the UI
    JB 4.2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686&page=12
    JB 4.2.1 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34736932&postcount=314

4- When placing calls trough the native dialer (phone.apk) with Skype app installed, it shows up a white menu asking "Do you want to complete this action using..." the options are "Mobile data" (w/ phone.apk blue icon) or "Skype" (w/ skype icon) and "Always" or "Just Once" (perhaps there is missing a "Phone" profile (or APN) as an option too)

5- If Skype is chosen, the call is complete and everything goes well, but if "Mobile data" is chosen, we get a single sound (bip) and the call is not complete.

6- Changing the DPI to 320 in build.prop file allow us to add a SIP account (SIP calls using native dialer is now possible), DPI could be restored after SIP account settings done.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34752693&highlight=320#post34752693

Detailed informations come from the thread in XDA developers at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1958686

--------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 5th Dec 2012 by Synman

ok, I hacked NetworkPolicyManager and am no longer crashing. Network time appears to be non-functional for the time-being. Network status is a little wonky too ... even though I have a good network signal the network icon never switches from gray to blue.
    MMS send/receive is fully functional (with the exception of screwed up timestamps)

Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base
    - added full apns

Modified device-common.mk
    - added gsm permission

system.prop
    replaced ref to libril-icera with libxgold

tilapia overlay
    - removed single apn rules
    - set voice-enabled
    - added mms values

NetworkPolicyManager
    - removed call to time.getMaxPeriod

Rough Translation:
    Hello! Here at my job I work with tegra3 and I am very close to finding a solution to making calls. Google has a lock to log into the cells of the mobile operators.
    My progress so far: I can make outgoing calls to numbers with the same area code (landline only), but not receive incoming calls from mobile numbers (Possibly same area code only).

I have to make sure I'm not breaking any NDAs with my company before I can post this half-working solution.

Thanks meter is on the left :)
    sorry, its german

I'm done with framework hacks for a framework intentionally gimped.

We are close!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pulled down master AOSP branch
    Pulled down grouper binaries

working with grouper device

Modified device.mk
    - use init.tilapia.rc
    - use tilapia overlay
    - remove SimpleSMS
    - remove ro.carrier=wifi_only

Modified full-grouper.mk
    - ref full_base_telephony in place of full_base