FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How I fixed the MTP issues on Nexus 7

796 posts
Thanks Meter: 298

By TECK, Axivo Developer on 13th October 2012, 12:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since I got Nexus 7, I was not able to use it as MTP device in Windows 7 64bits.
Yesterday, I checked the optional Windows updates and noticed a new Samsung MTP driver. So I updated the driver and when I connected the tablet running on 4.1.1, the device was not detected. Today, after I got the OTA update, I tried again to connect the tablet and it failed to detect the device properly.

These are the steps I completed, that fixed the MTP issue:
1) Open the Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the tablet should be listed under Unspecified devices.
2) Right click on it and select Properties.
3) Click on Change Settings button.
4) Go to Driver tab and click on Uninstall button.

Make sure you check the Delete Driver option, when you uninstall the driver.
I did not have to reboot the computer, by simply connecting the tablet Windows detected the new hardware and reinstalled the proper drivers.

Now I can access both my Nexus phone and tablet, using the same cable and through adb.
Not sure if the combination of both 4.1.2 and new Samsung drivers helped, but the above steps fixed the MTP detection issues I had. Check the Microsoft driver date, is from 2006???

The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to TECK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TECK Ad-Free

15th December 2012, 02:18 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm on Android 4.2.1 and I tried your method but I got a "No Driver Found" error.
23rd December 2012, 09:09 PM |#3  

More
Fixed !
I'm on 4.2.1 stock ROM too and it worked perfectly for me, as described !

Thank you very much !
24th December 2012, 07:20 AM |#4  

More
Teck, nobody online aside from you could do anything with this, your instructions fixed it.
So, two questions. Do you have a paypal, and if you do, what's the price of your usual beer?
I'm buying you one.

also any idea on how to fix the same issue on an ipod touch?
24th December 2012, 08:46 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
If anyone having problems turn off USB debugging and device will show up

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to acidspider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift acidspider Ad-Free
24th December 2012, 09:04 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidspider

If anyone having problems turn off USB debugging and device will show up

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

This is what I had to do. Just place your files inside your internal memory before you turn on your debugging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy Callaway For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Crazy Callaway Ad-Free
24th December 2012, 11:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. It also comes back when you upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. To fix this:
  1. Plug the Nexus 7 in and make sure USB mode is set to MTP
  2. Run devmgmt.msc
  3. Locate the ADB driver, which may be under "Android Devices" or "ADB Devices"
  4. Right-click on it and select "Update driver software"
  5. "Browse my computer for driver software"
  6. "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see two drivers under "Model":
    • "Android ADB Interface"
    • Either "MTP USB Device" or "Composite USB Device"
  8. Select "MTP/Composite USB Device" (that is, the one that isn't "Android ADB Interface") and click Next.
  9. Device should now appear as an MTP device.

Confirmed working with the Nexus 7 2013 as well.
The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to TheBeano For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheBeano Ad-Free
27th December 2012, 05:10 AM |#8  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thank you, that worked exactly how you listed it.
31st December 2012, 03:48 AM |#9  
Flag trucking USA (except CA)
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeano

Another way of fixing this on Windows 8: This problem may happen because you have the Google ADB driver from the Android SDK installed. Windows will pick the ADB driver over the MTP driver, even when USB debugging is turned off on the Nexus 7. To fix this:

1. Plug the Nexus 7 in and make sure USB mode is set to MTP
  2. Run devmgmt.msc
  3. Locate the ADB driver, which may be under "Android Devices" or "ADB Devices"
  4. Right-click on it and select "Update driver software"
  5. "Browse my computer for driver software"
  6. "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  7. With "Show compatible hardware" checked you should see these two drivers under "Model":
    • "Android ADB Interface"
    • "MTP USB Device"
  8. Select "MTP USB Device" and click Next.
  9. Device should now appear as an MTP device.

Reinstalled ADB drivers to try this... MTB device does not appear on list.
Why can't someone just post a link to the drivers needed for MTB to work?
The Following User Says Thank You to drumtrucker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drumtrucker Ad-Free
1st January 2013, 04:58 AM |#10  
Flag trucking USA (except CA)
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtrucker

Reinstalled ADB drivers to try this... MTB device does not appear on list.
Why can't someone just post a link to the drivers needed for MTB to work?

SOLVED:
in device messenger, right click on 'unknown device' and update driver/browse my computer../let me pick from list.../portable device/Manufacturer(standard MTP device)/MTP USB device

say YES to install anyway (even though it will blow up the world). after install, unknown device changes to Nexus 7 (or 10 I would hope, but I have 7), this also fixes problem with my Kindle Fire HD 7.
YaY!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to drumtrucker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drumtrucker Ad-Free
6th January 2013, 03:37 AM |#11  

More
Hi. Totally confused Nexus 7 noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECK

Since I got Nexus 7, I was not able to use it as MTP device in Windows 7 64bits....
These are the steps I completed, that fixed the MTP issue:
1) Open the Devices and Printers in Control Panel, the tablet should be listed under Unspecified devices.

I've been reading and searching and reading and.... on my Win 7/64, there is no "Other" or "Unspecified Devices" in Device Manager. There is no Nexus 7 under any option in Device Manager. {sigh} Device Manager also does not show either "Android Devices" or "ADB Devices."
  • I've tried having Windows search for new hardware (it found my wireless router, not my Nexus 7).
  • I've swapped out the USB cables and tried different USB plugs on the CPU and on a powered hub (the plugs all work with other USB devices).
  • The Nexus WILL read a thumb drive, so the plug on the Nexus works
  • I tried turning off the Nexus, rebooting the computer and then plugging the Nexus back in and turning it on. Nothing, Windows did not see it "arrive."
  • "Safely remove hardware" does not see it.
  • I looked for a folder on the C: drive that has google drivers in it, no such folder.
  • I unlocked Developer Options and tried switching between Camera and MTP modes.
  • I turned off USB debugging.

I have a semi-solid memory that I WAS able to plug the Nexus in and TRF files across a USB cord when I first got it (mid-December) -- but I'm not 100% sure (I'm old and my brain leaks...).

My Win 7 is completely updated, according to MS. I'm baffled. What can I try next? Thanks. (Sorry this is long -- I DID watch the funny noob movie when I registered, and tried to balance: "be short" with "provide all the info.")
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)