How to root a Kurio Tablet v.4.0.3

Search This thread

no_cannabis

Jun 6, 2009
Toronto
Hi guys. Is launcher any good on this tablet? I bought Matrix One tablets for my kids, made it run CM10, but I'm in a search for a good kids launcher. Can anyone with adb connection make a backup of system apps from this tablet? You just have to run "adb backup -apk" and it'll spool all stuff into a file that can be opened with Titanium backup.

jsemon

Mar 11, 2008
Hi guys. Is launcher any good on this tablet? I bought Matrix One tablets for my kids, made it run CM10, but I'm in a search for a good kids launcher. Can anyone with adb connection make a backup of system apps from this tablet? You just have to run "adb backup -apk" and it'll spool all stuff into a file that can be opened with Titanium backup.

I'm thinking to pick up one of these for my son, for Christmas. If I choose the Kurio, I will be rooting it to install Google Play. I will also do an apk dump before giving it to him, and will post it here.

Does anybody know how the Kurio compares to the Meep tablet? I feel that I like the Kurio better, because it has both front and rear-facing cameras... but what about specs? Is one better than the other?

beckett1

Sep 2, 2005
Google Pixel 3a
Opps

Hi

I used this method to root and install google play but I found that some apps had the "your device isn't compatible" message in google play. I tried changing the build.prop but i was very stupid and forgot to back this up.

If anyone's got a copy of the original file could they please send it to me as the Kurio software no longer starts as its thinks its not the correct tablet.

inmortal80

Dec 13, 2012
Google Play for Kurio

Simply contact costumerservice through the website kurioworld.com. I asked for a way to root the Kurio, instead they sent me a zipfile with content needed to get the Google store without rooting.
Came with instructions, and whole thing was done in 5 minutes. No hassle, everything just works flawless. Finally the Kurio seems worth keeping.

The name of the file is : Install_google_play_allwinner.rar

Im not allowed to post the direct link here yet, so ....

Chers, good luck

I found myself in a similar situation.
I contacted the swedish support at kurio today and complained that tools that my kid currently uses isn't availble in either stores that the kurio supports hence making me "phoneless" from time to time anyway and that was exactly what I was trying to prevent buying the kurio, and they refused to help me install google play and made a big deal about installing Google Play would void warrants (I seriously doubt that).

You guys made my day :good:

Last edited:

alil2cul4u

Aug 13, 2010
Newnan
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]DISCLAIMER: IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM AM I (ALIL2CUL4U) OR XDA-DEVELOPERS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEVICE IF IT GETS BROKEN, BRICKED, OR CORRUPTS YOUR DEVICE! BY FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS LISTED BELOW YOU AGREE TO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER![/COLOR]

1- On the tablet, go to Android settings --> Developer options --> Enable USB debugging and activate it.
2- Plug the tablet, it may not find the driver. Go to Control Panel -- > Device manager -->seelct the uninstalled Android device, right click and select Update driver.
3- Use the driver provided here to install, after installation it shall appear as ADB interface
4- Run the root.bat file by double clicking it.
5- follow the instructions

I wrote a root script based on the kurio file that was posted here. It can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?7wm13p0hzqy705p!

Edit: This is a test script so please report back on how it worked for you, as I do not own a Kurio. If it does work for you please push thanks!

rojovilla

Nov 29, 2010
HTX
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]DISCLAIMER: IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM AM I (ALIL2CUL4U) OR XDA-DEVELOPERS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEVICE IF IT GETS BROKEN, BRICKED, OR CORRUPTS YOUR DEVICE! BY FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS LISTED BELOW YOU AGREE TO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER![/COLOR]

1- On the tablet, go to Android settings --> Developer options --> Enable USB debugging and activate it.
2- Plug the tablet, it may not find the driver. Go to Control Panel -- > Device manager -->seelct the uninstalled Android device, right click and select Update driver.
3- Use the driver provided here to install, after installation it shall appear as ADB interface
4- Run the root.bat file by double clicking it.

I wrote a root script based on the kurio file that was posted here. It can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/?7wm13p0hzqy705p!

Edit: This is a test script so please report back on how it worked for you, as I do not own a Kurio. If it does work for you please push thanks!

Any update on this? Got a free Kurio7 from a friend and really want to get rid of the bloatware and streamline the device. Whether it runs GB, ICS, or JB (highly unlikely, but can't hate me for wishful thinking), would be better than stock!

Michael61182

Nov 19, 2010
Phoenix
I just rooted this device using windows xp. I used the file that was provided in this thread. I have Google play now. On this device you have the option of running from android rather than using the kurio program. I installed titanium backup and removed some bloatware as well. The only problem I'm having is, I'm trying to install aircraft pe and I had to search for it on the browser because I couldn't find it on the play store, but it tells me it's not compatible with my device. Can anyone help? I know someone posted before that they were going to add it for their kid too?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using xda app-developers app

bliznoob

Dec 20, 2012
I tried the root and no go. I am trying to root a Kurio 7 tablet. Not sure if that is what you intended this for (but gathered that out of your comments) Any help is appreciated. The tablet seams like an okay platform for my 7 year old, but Kurio states it is a "family" tablet, but doesn't have access to the Play Store.... Creates a captive audience for "THEIR" app store. They should call it an app mini mart.

JCbeug

Dec 21, 2012
what about guli interface ?

Dear all,

I just tried the package which is referenced here and it seems to be working.
Just before I execute it, I would like to make sure that my son will still be able to use the "children interface" provided with the tablet under the "Guli" licence in France.
I just want to be able to install google play because there are not so much interesting apps on the kurio store, but I would like to make sure that my son can stiil use the easy Gulli interface.

Regards

vidara

Nov 28, 2011
Dear all,

I just tried the package which is referenced here and it seems to be working.
Just before I execute it, I would like to make sure that my son will still be able to use the "children interface" provided with the tablet under the "Guli" licence in France.
I just want to be able to install google play because there are not so much interesting apps on the kurio store, but I would like to make sure that my son can stiil use the easy Gulli interface.

Regards

Tablet will stay the same as before, except for the addition of Google Play.

Apps installed from Google Play can be added to the child interface.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

distortion

Dec 30, 2006
Just used the files provided earlier and it worked like a charm. Already had the drivers so it was quick and painless.

todayfull

Dec 24, 2012
I am new and I just brought an kurio 7 for my kids have installed the gogle play as instruction given and it work. Can anyone help my question is how do I transfer file from my laptop to the Kurio 7, what program can I use. Thank in advance

jlnhaah

Dec 24, 2012
Can someone please share this file and the instructions? Jlnhaah(at)gmail.com appriciate it!

Can i make this work without a pc?

jlnhaah

Dec 24, 2012
Driver

I am trying to get the Google Play on my son's Kurio, but I cannot get the Kurio to connect with my computer. I am running Windows XP. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Will it work on a vista/win8 computer?

Huge thanks for ay help a can get!

raskall

Apr 3, 2007
Ok.. Obviously a lot of people have gotten this tablet for their kids for christmas. You are in luck. The tablet has been virtually unusable up until now. Before the update that was pushed just before christmas the kurio interface was so slow that the tablet was unusable. It could take several minutes to start the interface and even longer to start and end apps. But to be fair, when the apps where started they ran just fine. But the christmas update fixed this and now the Kurio actually is a good childrens tablet.

Except from the absense of google play. I have posted the script for getting Google Play earlier in the thread but here it is again since people does not read the entire thread before sending me PMs:

I will start with the disclaimer: I do NOT take ANY responsibility for the result of this script. I am just redistributing a file I got from someone else. The script will (probably) break your warranty and may (but not very likeley) break the tablet. If you follow the instructions you should be OK and surfing Google Play when you are done. A lot of people have gotten this to work and I haven't heard of anyone breaking their tablets trying this.

Download the script and files from my web hotel here.

This is a RAR file and can be extracted with the application winrar found here.

When extracted you read the file readme.txt inside. There you will find these instructions which should be sufficient. If you exit the kurio interface and run pure andriod it will be easier to follow. The most important point to get this working is point 2 and 3. Without the right windows drivers for the tablet, it will not work. You have to update driver from the Windows Device Manager.

2- Plug the tablet, it may not find the driver. Go to Control Panel -- > Device manager -->select the uninstalled Android device, right click and select Update driver.
4- Run the Install_Google_Play.bat file by double clicking it.

If this post has helped you, please press "thanks" in the lower left of this post.

Last edited:

rojovilla

Nov 29, 2010
HTX
Ok.. Obviously a lot of people have gotten this tablet for their kids for christmas. You are in luck. The tablet has been virtually unusable up until now. Before the update that was pushed just before christmas the kurio interface was so slow that the tablet was unusable. It could take several minutes to start the interface and even longer to start and end apps. But to be fair, when the apps where started they ran just fine. But the christmas update fixed this and now the Kurio actually is a good childrens tablet.

Except from the absense of google play. I have posted the script for getting Google Play earlier in the thread but here it is again since people does not read the entire thread before sending me PMs:

I will start with the disclaimer: I do NOT take ANY responsibility for the result of this script. I am just redistributing a file I got from someone else. The script will (probably) break your warranty and may (but not very likeley) break the tablet. If you follow the instructions you should be OK and surfing Google Play when you are done. A lot of people have gotten this to work and I haven't heard of anyone breaking their tablets trying this.

When extracted you read the file readme.txt inside. There you will find these instructions which should be sufficient. If you exit the kurio interface and run pure andriod it will be easier to follow. The most important point to get this working is point 2 and 3. Without the right windows drivers for the tablet, it will not work. You have to update driver from the Windows Device Manager.

2- Plug the tablet, it may not find the driver. Go to Control Panel -- > Device manager -->select the uninstalled Android device, right click and select Update driver.

If this post has helped you, please press "thanks" in the lower left of this post.

raskall, where did you get the update from Kurio? also, how hard do you think it would be to root this device? would enjoy making this lackluster tablet have some potential...for me and my kids :D

raskall

Apr 3, 2007
raskall, where did you get the update from Kurio? also, how hard do you think it would be to root this device? would enjoy making this lackluster tablet have some potential...for me and my kids :D

I got the file from the scandinavian support team. I do not know if they give it out any more.

I have read the script it runs and it actually roots the device, push google play and necessary files and then unroots the device again. Just pick the right lines from the .bat file and you have root.

I would like to do this myself and play around with it a lot but I simply do not have the time.

rojovilla

Nov 29, 2010
HTX
I got the file from the scandinavian support team. I do not know if they give it out any more.

I have read the script it runs and it actually roots the device, push google play and necessary files and then unroots the device again. Just pick the right lines from the .bat file and you have root.

I would like to do this myself and play around with it a lot but I simply do not have the time.

appreciate your prompt reply. i'll see what other comparable devices are out there that run this chipset/gpu to see if a perm root is tangible.

the file from the scandinavian support team you referenced above is the same file you provided in your post?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey there everyone!
    I logged onto Kurio's live chat support, played dumb, and they provided me a stock ROM! :D
    I'm out right now so I can't upload it, but I will as soon as I get home. I'll give early instructions, though.

Edit: I really wanted to make a mirror, but after countless issues trying to upload the ROM to MediaFire, here's the original link.
    https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DUW13T0NUQzdkMnRsQXNUQw

Instructions:
    Put the ROM (don't unzip it) on a formatted SD card and put it in the tablet.
    With the tablet turned off, hold the power button and the + volume button until you see a dead Android with a caution symbol.
    Press the + and - volume buttons together and it should give you a list of options.
    Use the - volume button to scroll, and the power button to select. Select "Apply update from External SD"
    Select the ROM, and you're done! If it gives you a black screen after the boot animation just go back into recovery and factory reset.

Sent from my rooted Motorola Atrix HD using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Please send me the file at kongpyg@hotmail.com
    Peder Sørensen

I put the file on my web hotel. Click here to download (right click -> save link as if your browser opens the file).

I take no responsibility for this file. Just redistributing it.
    Everybody: please read the thread befor askimg for the file. I have posted the download link from my web hotel at least 4 times in the thread. find post #57 on page 6 in THIS THREAD.

I have been answering emails and PMs with this question all day today and yesterday. The thread isnt that long.

I will not spend more time answering questions through private channels. Make an effort yourselves and search or even read the thread.It`s not that long.
    How to Root Kurio 10S

I finally rooted the Kurio 10S using Onda_Allwinner_A31_root_v1_0.zip (Google it or download here)
    This may work for other Kurios as well, however, this is untested.

How to install:
    -download Onda_Allwinner_A31_root_v1_0.zip
    -copy to SD card
    -boot the tablet into recovery mode (Settings > Backup & reset > Recovery mode)
    -scroll to "apply update from TF card"
    -select Onda_Allwinner_A31_root_v1_0.zip
    -reboot tablet
    -update SuperSU to newest version (you can do this with the Google Play Store).

Root will remain even if you Factory Reset the tablet. Note that after Factory Reset, the older version of SuperSU is installed and you must update it again.