Okay everyone, please have a look at the changelog
, I'd like to highlight a few things and give you a preview
of the next version (~January 2013
1) Support for decoding HTC's jpg files
HTC's newer ROMs contain proprietary JPG files. These jpgs actually have transparency (yes jpg & transparency).
You can't edit these jpgs because once you do the transparency is gone and the images are all screwed.
In the next version VTS brings support for these jpgs, they get decompiled to proper png files so you can edit them. Once building the apk VTS automatically transforms the pngs back to jpgs.
Have a look at these comparisions: (left original jpg, right png, the red background is normally transparent, just added it for visibility reasons)
Now you can properly edit these images
2) New "Resource Manager"
I tried to think of something to make it easier to manage public.xml
. It can be quite an annoying task to add new entries to this file, so I automated the whole process.
Once you add new entries to any resource file (like strings.xml) the Resource Manager can detect these new entries and automatically add them to public.xml for you.
Of course it selects a proper ID so you don't have to deal with that.
Here is how it looks like:
You can access the Resource Manager via the context menu of an Apk-Project in the solution explorer.
3) Improvements for "batch-adding" projects
Since many of you asked for it, I made some important improvements for "batch-adding" new projects. There are two "main" new features:
- The "New project window" now saves default values for most settings
- Improved Drag & Drop support for binaries
If you combine these two you can easily add a lot of similar projects in no time:
4) SplitView support
- Drag & Drop the first apk/jar on VTS and it will open the "New project window"
- Adjust all settings to our needs and let VTS finish the import process
- Just Drag & Drop another apk/jar on VTS and if you don't need to change any settings, just directly close the "New project window" again via the "OK" button
- Since all settings were remembered you can continue to Drag & drop all your apks/jars
As detailed earlier, VTS now supports SplitView, so you can place multiple documents next to each other for a better overview.
5) No more Windows XP support
From now on you will need .net 4.5 to run VTS and unfortunately .net 4.5 only exists for Windows Vista or later. So no more Windows XP support.
VERY IMPORTANT: This new version is not ready yet but I expect a release date somewhere in January 2013.