[APP][2.2+] Catena - Anonymous and location based instant chat

Search This thread

aeoveu

Nov 8, 2010
I see loads of potential for this app!

But in my country? Na. People think the online world ends at YouTube and Facebook.

Anonymous chat rooms remind me of mIRC and the likes... And those were fun!

sent from my mini tractor

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Hey Dev,

I see we van enter (and change) our username...and I see a trip code is supposed to be unique.

But so are our usernames!

What's the difference between them, in simple worlds?

I think right now, this could be used for chatting with other XDA members cause they're probably the only ones online haha

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Another question: does the app use Google's push messaging service? I don't know how much drain the app causes, but just curious.

http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/index.html

Reactions: Oscar-Mark

Oscar-Mark

May 14, 2012
Sweden
I see loads of potential for this app!

But in my country? Na. People think the online world ends at YouTube and Facebook.

Anonymous chat rooms remind me of mIRC and the likes... And those were fun!

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Hey Dev,

I see we van enter (and change) our username...and I see a trip code is supposed to be unique.

But so are our usernames!

What's the difference between them, in simple worlds?

I think right now, this could be used for chatting with other XDA members cause they're probably the only ones online haha

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Another question: does the app use Google's push messaging service? I don't know how much drain the app causes, but just curious.

http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/index.html

The username can easily be copied and since it's anonymous, while the trip code is harder to copy since it displays a different code.

sakej

Jan 24, 2010
Poznań
Hi there, I've just send you polish translation, check your email ;)
I'm just little concerned by
"If, throughout your usage of Catena, you find yourself the subject of intolerable abuse then I advise you to close the app" ... "Anonymity will fancy you both the master and the slave, it\'s your responsibility to moderate your experience."
Do you really want to scare ppl off and atrract pervs? ;) Just asking ;)

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012

Ahahaha, I tend to over do it when warning people.

Suggestion:
Some limitation on the length of usernames would be kinda good, it have just gotten spammy.

Version 43 is about to go out which fixes this (max length of usernames will be 20 characters), it's also coming with some new translations, thanks for the heads up!

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012
I've also just uploaded version 44, so you probably won't even see 43 :p

Version 44 has the ability to block other users. It does both username and trip code, you can reset the block list at any time. It's meant to be a temporary and fast way of blocking, since it's anonymous and kind of hard to have a working long term block. Let me know what you guys think of this (it's limited visually as it doesn't show the actual list to you in the interface yet.)

Reactions: Dtrieb

Questioned

Oct 15, 2011
Suggestion: we can send private messages to users and keep the screen on while in app.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Dtrieb

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012
Private messaging has been considered. It's possible, as in you could send a message to a particular trip coded user. Then that message gets stored on the server until the user with that trip requests it. But you'd have to be aware that the target isn't necessarily going to be the person receiving it. This is because an anonymous, account-less chat client has no way of formally identifying a specific user.

My main issue with private messaging isn't the technical methodology, it is easily doable, but I'd be concerned that users would be falsely lead into a sense of security, that those messages are really private, when in fact you couldn't guarantee it even if it's an extremely low chance of being intercepted by someone else.

aeoveu

Nov 8, 2010
Wait, if the purpose of the app is anonymous chatting, then let it be. If private messaging is not the focus, then don't put it.

Don't let the app lose its focus.

People who want to chat privately can do so view SMS and the billions of other programs available online. This doesn't need to be another one.

Sorry, but when apps lose their focus, it's not so nice anymore since they become directionless and become bloated. The same goes for any company running without a strategy.

Questioned

Oct 15, 2011
Wait, if the purpose of the app is anonymous chatting, then let it be. If private messaging is not the focus, then don't put it.

Don't let the app lose its focus.

People who want to chat privately can do so view SMS and the billions of other programs available online. This doesn't need to be another one.

Sorry, but when apps lose their focus, it's not so nice anymore since they become directionless and become bloated. The same goes for any company running without a strategy.

Ok, i was adding that suggestion to privately invite people to your hashtag so (god forbid) possible spammers won't come too. Instead of my original suggestion how about put an option to invite other people to your hashtag?

aeoveu

Nov 8, 2010
Creating "channels" via a hash tag is workable. When I mean private, I mean something not open to others. Now see, this app let's you interact with other users in an area openly. Making a hash tag is useful for following certain updates and conversations, but not particularly useful for private messaging.

Just my $0.02.

Nobody likes spammers anyway :)

Reactions: Questioned

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012
I'll try and get a sort of Advertise message type out in the next build that lets you give a standard message for joining a hashtag. Not sure how I'll get it done yet but it shouldn't be hard. This might take me a while though, I don't have a lot of time to spare right now.

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012
Hey guys, I posted version 45 last night. It comes with an Advertise Hashtag button on the menu. If you have a hashtag applied it lets you send out a sort of invite to all users with a message, all they have to do is long click that message and they get an easy button to join your hashtag.

I also made the client keep the screen on while the chat is open.

Reactions: dBobbyG

dBobbyG

Jan 6, 2013
Feature request

Hi!
I just want to remind you of the following features absolutely necessary:
1. Option, so that screen does not jump to the new post while scrolling in history
2. Follow multiple hashtags, including a hashtag for "nohashtag"
3. Sound notification for new messages
4. Way to notify a single user about a hashtag
5. When I blocked a user with the same name while using a tripcode, the app seemed to filter my own posts too.

Ok, that's it, only five requests ;).

Good luck.

Scarface1991

Jul 30, 2011
Î think this is actually a great idea and I hope that you will continue on your project. I hope this will grow in future.

bleggy

Jan 2, 2013
I like this alot.
sound notification would really make this useful.

I can have two friends do french & japanese translation. Standby.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

dBobbyG

Jan 6, 2013
One more

One more request, probably something that is "easy" to implement. I would like to sort messages in history by user name. Like when I am not following the chat for some time and I would like to read what one user said, now I have to search for all posts of that user. Just an idea. A very nice project!

Jeffail

Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the kind messages guys, and thanks for the ideas Bobby. I intend to do most of those at some point in the near future. As soon as I have a Beta version of Catena for iOS I'll be back on Android development (obviously if bugs are found in the android version I'll be on it straight away, so please don't hold back if you find one.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    --

UPDATE: I've decided to discontinue my work on Catena, the project is too heavily reliant on community, and the time investment required to make it successful was several magnitudes higher than what I could offer. If anyone is interested in continuing this project let me know.

If you're interested in any of my other projects check out my site at: http://www.creepybit.co.uk

--

Catena is an anonymous and location based instant chat client. The main purpose of Catena is to give you an anonymous outlet for calling out to others in your local area and meeting new people, without the burden of identity. Catena lets you chat in a typical instant chat environment, but also lets you post semi-permanent messages on a shared map, for the whole world to see!

Catena is free, there are no user accounts or signing up. The instant you install Catena you are able to chat. For those who need an identity, either to maintain a conversation or single yourself out for others, there is a type of disposable user name that you can change as often as you want. There are also chatroom like tags you can use that make your messages private and only viewable to others with the same tag.

You can find Catena on the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Creepy+Bit

I also have a website up with more info at: http://creepybit.co.uk

I started development on this app when I couldn't find an anonymous alternative. I'm a single developer working in my spare time around work, but I'm currently still managing to push out almost daily updates. Catena is currently in Alpha stage, meaning I'm still adding and changing features, and I'm still modifying the server equipment.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give this app a go. Catena has been live for a week and I currently have around thirty users. The users I have thus far have given me really great feedback, and I think with some more hard work down the way I can make this a really great app that people will love.

Ahahaha, I tend to over do it when warning people.

Suggestion:
    Some limitation on the length of usernames would be kinda good, it have just gotten spammy.

Version 43 is about to go out which fixes this (max length of usernames will be 20 characters), it's also coming with some new translations, thanks for the heads up!
    Sounds awesome. This sounds like the Love Section on Craigslist where people say, "Oh I saw this sexy woman at Walmart. Hope to see you again".

It would be great to leave messages up for like a day and be able to show your GPS route. That way, at the end of the day, you could retrace your day and see if anyone left you a note. Like, "To the hot guy sitting at the bar in the blue collared shirt. I think I love you".

I always wanted a personal area chat room.

It could also be used for marketing such as "Burgers tonight are top notch!". Perhaps if things take off, you could sell extended comments that last longer.

I haven't used it yet, but how would this program handle a single place with lots of chatter? Is it a single point on the map that links to a chat room style interface? 1 map point per comment would create clutter. In my mind, a single comment would just be a dot on the map which would open for dialogue. You'd also probably want to allow accessing ANY of those locations on the fly. So if I want to go get dinner at Red Lobster downtown, I can find the location on the map and read the comments left there. Perhaps someone says, "4 hour wait @ 7pm". Or actually having the ability to ask someone that is physically there to put your name on the list, haha.

I can see SO many possibilities for this.

So perhaps you can only START a chat based off your location but you can join ANY. Also it might be a good idea to be able to disable GPS in case someone is at their home and doesn't want anyone to know where they presently are (can't start a convo but can join one). You don't want to hear about how crazies are killing girls using your app. lol

Some nice ideas, I'll let you discover it but it's basically the world is just one huge chat room, but you filter the messages you receive by range. So it ends up being a digital "everyone shouts and you choose how far you listen" kind of thing.

If a small area gets really popular and you can't hold a conversation then there are things called Hash Tags. They're basically a short keyword you filter your messages by and it's sort of like joining a chat room. For example I could apply the hash tag "Crime" (like in the screenshot), and it basically means I only see messages from other people with "Crime" and they are the only ones that see my messages.

For the map I'm currently in the process of implementing an upvote system. Messages on the map (I call them Broadcasts) will expire after a certain period, that period is shorter depending on how busy the area is, you can extend the life of a broadcast by 'Bumping' it.

I'd love to add new stuff as I go along. But as it's been said, the key thing I'm lacking is users.
    Ahhh I see about the "how far you listen" type range thing. Thats fun and all... but really hinders the usefulness.... well let me think, no I guess it wouldn't if you simply picked a restaurant and did a Spoof Location from that area. I would change that and label it as something like, "Chat from here" or something. Also need to intregrate the map better. Maybe have that as the initial screen that users see. It is a pretty map and looks fantastic. Opening the app to just see an empty chat is a let down. I would initially start zoomed out so you can see the surrounding areas and users online. Tap = popup "Chat from Here" button.

Also a slider for chat radius that displays as a blue circle around your location. Having to go into settings to set a number is kind of awkward.

Focus on the map and let users pop in and out of chat as will based on their location.

Broadcasts expiring based on how busy the area is, is a good idea. I had no idea about the bumping. "Bumping" a thread, I get it... but I when I bumped the broadcasts, it didn't do anything. Maybe just a simple vote system like "Was this helpful: -1 and +1". Because honestly most of those broadcasts are retarded. Peeing on the benches? Smelly Town? Sand Vaginas? The community needs to be able to down vote and get rid of those messages as badly as they need to up vote. Regardless of votes, Broadcasts should still naturally go away after a set time. Like broadcasts = 1 hour with 1 day max.

Also the hash tags, perhaps make it more user friendly... such as a button for "Create a Group" or "Join a Group".
    Hey guys, I posted version 45 last night. It comes with an Advertise Hashtag button on the menu. If you have a hashtag applied it lets you send out a sort of invite to all users with a message, all they have to do is long click that message and they get an easy button to join your hashtag.

I also made the client keep the screen on while the chat is open.