FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] CWM: What do all the different "wipes" do?

353 posts
Thanks Meter: 78

By sohell, Senior Member on 7th April 2012, 09:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

I have a quick question. What do all the wipes in ClockWorkMod actually wipe?Specifically, what do the following actually wipe?

- wipe data/factory reset?
- wipe cache partition?
- wipe Dalvik Cache?

I did do a search, and have installed many roms, and although I follow all the instructions, I have never known what these actually do.
7th April 2012, 09:50 PM |#2  
Flag Trivandrum
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Wipe data means your ROM setting and date and time such things will be deleted
Wipe cache means wiping the cache of user and system apps.for every application it allocate some space for cache that well be removed
Wipe dalvic cache is wiping compilation cache.in Android having a dalvic compiler.
Hope you get it...this is what i know about this

Xperian8~ click thanks if it helps... :)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shyamjptpm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shyamjptpm Ad-Free
7th April 2012, 10:30 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 396

More
Wiping data means deleting all the apps unrelated to system application, and in addition, it also deletes most the saved data for all applications (from /data/data) folder.

Wiping cache means deleting all those files left by installation process or any other temporary mean. In general it is safe to do so without getting anything reset.

Wiping dalvik cache (/data/dalvik-cache) means deleting all the cached files generated by compiler. In general it is safe to do so without getting anything reset. This is also epic useful when you face force close error. It may have something to do with the dalvik cache.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UnknownzD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift UnknownzD Ad-Free
29th December 2012, 05:54 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Is wipe data and factory reset the same?
I see a lot of roms say wipe cache, wipe data, and wipe dalvik cache. In TWRP on my Note 2, I see wipe cache and dalvik cache but not data. Is wiping data the same as factory reset? If not should I just ignore "wipe data"?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)