[DEV][4.X][YP-G70]Jellybean and 3.0 Kernel Work (OLD)

Search This thread

alanwyl

Apr 8, 2012
Hong Kong
I would choose option 1 which does not do much to the change in whole system structure.
It still got a possibility to enable that internal SD later on, so until then there is no waste.

OguzhanVarsak

Oct 19, 2012
Secreenshot pls

[RemICS-UX • 4.0.4] Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (YP-G70) cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012
No. I must enable them at build time, and the last time I tried, it bootlooped. I will try again though.

Okay, here goes the progress report:
  • Found the source of the bootloop and worked around it. Temporarily, you will be unable to connect to your computer as a mass storage device. Use MTP.
  • Found a real bug in vold, and fixed it. Now both partitions are detected and mountable. I just have to configure it to mount the right one at the right place - relatively quite easy.
  • Enabled software buttons and applied the previously-posted fix for European devices. Should I keep the software buttons if the hardware one is, in fact, fixed?
  • Working on getting audio fixed now - I found a driver for the Galaxy S2 (which has the same chip) that looks promising.
  • GPS now starts at boot without issue.
  • Some other minor tweaks.

A new build should be up by the end of the day (that is, in less than 10 hours). Maybe we can have a beta for the New Year! :good: :cowboy:

aznflawless

Jun 16, 2012
San Jose
  • Found the source of the bootloop and worked around it. Temporarily, you will be unable to connect to your computer as a mass storage device. Use MTP.
  • Found a real bug in vold, and fixed it. Now both partitions are detected and mountable. I just have to configure it to mount the right one at the right place - relatively quite easy.
  • Enabled software buttons and applied the previously-posted fix for European devices. Should I keep the software buttons if the hardware one is, in fact, fixed?
  • Working on getting audio fixed now - I found a driver for the Galaxy S2 (which has the same chip) that looks promising.

A new build should be up by the end of the day (that is, in less than 10 hours). Maybe we can have a beta for the New Year! :good: :cowboy:

A good way to start off the year with a jelly bean ROM for the Galaxy Player 5.0 :D Yes plz!!!!

alanwyl

Apr 8, 2012
Hong Kong
Please enable the hardware buttons if possible, if not then keep the software buttons please.
Great start for a new year!

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012
After this is somewhat stable, will you be making a CM10.1 ROM?

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Maybe. Hardware support using proprietary software gets worse and worse the further you go. I'm having trouble with audio - this next zip will probably still be a silent alpha. So if it works, yes, but I may not be able to get it working.

Reactions: EcHoFiiVe

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012
Maybe. Hardware support using proprietary software gets worse and worse the further you go. I'm having trouble with audio - this next zip will probably still be a silent alpha. So if it works, yes, but I may not be able to get it working.

Sorry about the delay everyone, I had other duties, plus my builds decided to stop booting. Turns out it was a misplaced := instead of a +=, which means all of the libraries I enabled before were getting ignored. That also happened to be half of what was breaking audio, and in the process of manually rearranging libraries, I accidentally fixed rotation. Completely. Like, not 90 degrees off. :cowboy: So I think it's worth it. Give me another hour and I may have fixed audio; I'll upload what I have whatever the case.

Edit: Zip is up. sound is broken. trying cm10.1 to see if it works there, as I took the driver from the cm10.1 galaxys2-common repo.

Last edited:

aznflawless

Jun 16, 2012
San Jose
Sorry about the delay everyone, I had other duties, plus my builds decided to stop booting. Turns out it was a misplaced := instead of a +=, which means all of the libraries I enabled before were getting ignored. That also happened to be half of what was breaking audio, and in the process of manually rearranging libraries, I accidentally fixed rotation. Completely. Like, not 90 degrees off. :cowboy: So I think it's worth it. Give me another hour and I may have fixed audio; I'll upload what I have whatever the case.

Can't wait!

EcHoFiiVe

Jan 29, 2012
Mundelein. IL
So Mevordel, what is your view on the camera? Fixable, impossible or a lot of work? No this not me asking for an ETA, Jackpot and others are saying that it won't be fixable, so I'd like your opinion

EcHoFiiVe

Jan 29, 2012
Mundelein. IL
I give you all my thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357030421398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357030421398.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 193

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012
I give you all my thanks.

Only shows up as one :)

So Mevordel, what is your view on the camera? Fixable, impossible or a lot of work? No this not me asking for an ETA, Jackpot and others are saying that it won't be fixable, so I'd like your opinion

A lot of work. It kinda worked on the new CM9. Getting a picture at all is 90% there. Of course, even getting a picture/preview will take a lot of work for CM10. So it may not work all the way, but progress (from the current nothing) is possible.

DZonikg

Apr 11, 2012
Kragujevac
Only shows up as one :)

A lot of work. It kinda worked on the new CM9. Getting a picture at all is 90% there. Of course, even getting a picture/preview will take a lot of work for CM10. So it may not work all the way, but progress (from the current nothing) is possible.

Maybe you can ask jackpotcalvin..he sad in one post that he made kernel with one camera working
UOTE=JackpotClavin;35166024]I made a kernel that had the front camera working 100% but the rear camera didn't save when taking a regular picture, but only saved when panorama. It also looked normal (didn't shake/stutter like it did before, now it looks like a camera should)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE

but after that he desapired from forum and never posted that kernel..i see in his posts that he now works a kernel for nexus. And big thank for this.
Buttons for int does not work..maybe i have to do sommetnig
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevordel

Mevordel

Apr 24, 2012
Maybe you can ask jackpotcalvin..he sad in one post that he made kernel with one camera working
UOTE=JackpotClavin;35166024]I made a kernel that had the front camera working 100% but the rear camera didn't save when taking a regular picture, but only saved when panorama. It also looked normal (didn't shake/stutter like it did before, now it looks like a camera should)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE

but after that he desapired from forum and never posted that kernel..i see in his posts that he now works a kernel for nexus. And big thank for this.
Buttons for int does not work..maybe i have to do sommetnig

Can you go to CWM -> advanced -> key test and tell me what shows up when you press home? thanks.

To everyone:

So here's where I am: My holiday is ending, so I can't get much work done for the next few weeks. The new open-source sound driver I was trying yesterday looks like it will only work with cm10.1, but cm10.1 only works with the 3.0 kernel, or with backporting wireless networking, which I tried to do and failed. I don't understand really how audio was set up in cm9, so basically we need JackpotClavin to fix it or explain it, as he did cm9, and knows kernels better than I do. :fingers-crossed:

In other news, I found a way to not get stuck in CWM that's not too hacky, so after tweaking storage a bit more, I will have one final alpha for you guys this evening. Final, you say? Yes, because the broken list is a lot shorter than it was, and as soon as audio works, we have betas. :D This last one should have all storage enabled, so I will recommend it for everyone.

DZonikg

Apr 11, 2012
Kragujevac
For me both storage works (did not try to connect to usb) but youtube want play anything..i thing problem is in codec because also gallery want play any video file

Reactions: Mevordel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    History
    JackpotClavin first got a 3.x kernel working on the SGP5.0. He used this kernel and a modified Captivate firmware to release a CM10 "preview." Since then, he has done some work on fixing kernel issues, and I worked on trying to fix some things in Android, releasing a "pre-alpha." However, we were limited by the fact it was ported, not built. It took quite a while, but I finally figured out the Android build system and created a device tree. Well, as of 21 November, it has matured enough to create a zip that installs and boots cleanly, and so has entered the "alpha" stage. On November 27, a functional CWM was attained, and on November 28, internal storage was fixed. Then we decided to use the 2.6.35.7 stock-based kernel with back-ported drivers. After a month of off and on work, it booted usably. Things like vibration and button lights were easy to fix, but wi-fi drivers were a headache. So I decided to, for now, use the old and slow ones, because at least they work. A lot of work was done the last week of December, and by New Year's Day, the only things left broken were audio, Bluetooth, and the camera. Well, come to find out Galaxy Tab audio and camera HAL work on our device. So by the end of the day, I had gotten to what I consider a beta.

Going Forward
    Now that the beta is out, this thread is for development discussion only.
    Eventually, we will probably go back to the 3.0 kernel, but not for a while.

local_manifest.xml for CM10
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <project name="Mevordel/android_device_samsung_venturi" path="device/samsung/venturi" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
      <project name="Mevordel/android_kernel_samsung_venturi" path="kernel/samsung/venturi" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
      <project name="Mevordel/android_system_vold" path="system/vold" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
      <project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
    </manifest>

Other Git Links
    3.0 Kernel source: https://github.com/Mevordel/android_kernel_samsung_venturi_3.0
    Initramfs for 3.0 kernel: https://github.com/Mevordel/venturi_cm10_initramfs
    Download
    The beta is out. Use it. These are for historical / testing / file-yanking purposes only.
    Alpha 7: http://www.mediafire.com/?3ji7u4ifx53v4vy - fixes rotation, almost fixes storage (both), enable int'l home button & software buttons, fixes gps
    Alpha 6: http://www.mediafire.com/?yasfuv630v743gr - fixes wi-fi (old drivers), external storage, vibration, button lights
    Alpha 5: http://www.mediafire.com/?9u1dhu8qlz6euy4 - first with kernel 2.6.35
    Alpha 4: http://www.mediafire.com/?c36chfcrsde7s6s - added storage
    Alpha 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?c8o33cjb19rw8zf - added CWM
    Alpha 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?9nkguo3y62dwyxl - added WiFi
    Alpha 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?nuou91atn1x03tw - built from source
    Pre-Alpha: http://www.mediafire.com/?xfaiw6i57cqdexf - captivatemtd port

Workarounds (must be applied each boot)
    To enable GPS (Alpha 6 and earlier)
    Run as root:
    Code:
    gpsd -d /vendor/etc/gps.xml

To trick vold and mount internal storage (Alpha 3 and earlier)
    Run as root:
    Code:
    rm "/dev/block/vold/179:8"
    mknod "/dev/block/vold/179:8" b 259 9
    Then run 'vold' or go to Settings -> Storage and click "Mount."
    No. I must enable them at build time, and the last time I tried, it bootlooped. I will try again though.

I dont ask for ETA just ask is anyone working on SGP 5 or not because all threads are dead for long time.

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

I got my player back yesterday and resumed work on it. However, I had oral surgery in the morning and couldn't focus very well. :)
    You cant flash because that patch is for ICS and that patch is just another kernel so you will overwrite existing kernel..i 2 have international..you can download button saviour from market until some better

Today's nightly has a special treat: Storage settings fc's, and build.prop definitely needs tweaking, but INTERNAL STORAGE NOW WORKS! :D (with no hacks that is). Features also include updated CM10 (4.1.2) codebase, some cleanup tweaks, and a patch to the kernel that (hopefully) enables the home button on European devices.

Uploading now, will update OP when done. Uploaded and updated. As soon as sound is fixed, we move to beta stage. :highfive:

P.S: CWM backup/restore/format/etc. has been tested and works fine for me, so happy flashing!