FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,203

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th December 2012, 07:16 PM |#2211  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc

Hello. I have a canon EOS-M. Samsung galaxy sii and nexus 7. Before buying the full app decided to try the remote release as recommended.

It succeeded in connecting in that the camera shows a PC icon and the phone/tablet are both asked to open remote release as the default app. Pressing the shutter responds with a failed message. No log messages.

The EOS-M is basically a 650D in a mirror less body, the magic lantern wiki says it uses same dryOs version. Is there anything I can be doing to find a cause or maybe progress compatibility?

I actually got an EOS M to work on compatibility with DSLR Controller. First batch.

Unfortunately, the EOS M has all interesting remote control functionality (like capture) blocked. There is currently no way to do anything interesting with it over a USB connection. Maybe with a firmware update later, or maybe the ML guys will hack a working firmware together, I don't know - but out of the box, it's a waste.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

28th December 2012, 07:39 AM |#2212  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Waveforms
Hi. I have been using the controller for quite some time and love it.

Will there be any plans in the future to add waveform capabilities? I use my DSLR's for shooting videos and waveforms would be great! I am not sure whether it can be implemented or not.

Thanks.
28th December 2012, 01:10 PM |#2213  
Flag Sydney

More
Nexus 7 and Canon 60D detection issues SOLVED!
Hi!

First of all, well done on creating a great app! As a filmmaker, I see this as being a crucial component for my filmmaking - especially when doing jib/crane shots. In fact, I bought a Nexus 7 to run this app, because, for little more than the cost of an HDMI monitor, I have a self-contained (battery pack and screen) monitor that doubles as a tablet with WiFi and 3G.

However, I have encountered a problem....

The very first time I used DSLR Controller with my Canon 60D, it worked perfectly. However, since then, on successive retries of using the app, it simply does not see any USB device (my camera!) attached. Even after rebooting the Nexus 7.

However, I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

I downloaded and installed your USB Host Diagnostics app. On running the diagnostic, it does not detect the camera, but then instructs me to disconnect and reconnect the USB device. THEN the Nexus 7 detects the camera. I now have DSLR Controller set to Auto run on connecting the camera.

SO....

Something that your USB Host Disgnostics app does apparently fixes the problem (possibly clearing some status flags?), therefore, can I suggest you do the following..?

1) Make the DSLR Controller app a little clearer - tell us WHEN to connect the camera.
2) Run your diagnostic code upon starting the app - it fixes something!

BTW, I have purchased 3 different OTG cables and they are NOT all equal! One refuses to work with the camera at all! The others are ok, but only when running the diagnostic procedure above FIRST.

I hope that helps people out there.

Chainfire's USB Host Diagnostic app can be found in the Google Play store, and it is free.

Let me know if it works for you?

Best regards,

Ian

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinns

Hello. I just bought your app and I am really excited to give a go.

Before I begin, here are the "need to knows":

I am using a Canon EOS 60D

I have a USB on the go cable

I am using a Le Pan II with Ice cream sandwich OS installed

I successfully installed your App on my Le Pan.

When I run the app it doesn't detect my camera.

I have read the FAQs. And I have made sure the memory card is inserted and detected properly. I made sure the camera is "awake".

I am not sure where to look next. I am guessing the problem is either my Le Pan is not being a good little USB host OR the cable I bought is not working.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

J. Binns

Hi J.,

Try running Chainfire's USB Host Diagnostic app (free download from Google Play).

On my Nexus 7, it 'fixes' something that then allows DSLR Controller to see my Canon 60D! Maybe this will work for you?

Best regards,

Ian
29th December 2012, 03:24 PM |#2214  
Recognized Contributor
KCMO
Thanks Meter: 1,399

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

I actually got an EOS M to work on compatibility with DSLR Controller. First batch.

Unfortunately, the EOS M has all interesting remote control functionality (like capture) blocked. There is currently no way to do anything interesting with it over a USB connection. Maybe with a firmware update later, or maybe the ML guys will hack a working firmware together, I don't know - but out of the box, it's a waste.

Hey Chainfire, here you go! They even have Pictures of it saying "Hello World" if you click the links they posted!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new...-m-hello-world

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648
29th December 2012, 08:02 PM |#2215  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjoshdew

Hey Chainfire, here you go! They even have Pictures of it saying "Hello World" if you click the links they posted!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new...-m-hello-world

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648

yes but it is still for the most part Alpha state so Im sure once it goes to a Beta state you can load it up onto your camera and then try it with Chainfires android app. Or you can give it a shot now while its in Alpha and see how it goes, it wont hurt the camera since nothing is actually installed onto the camera, if it locks up just power it down remove the battery and sd card, put the battery back in but not the sd card and power the camera back up and it should be fine.
30th December 2012, 12:26 AM |#2216  

More
Hi, yesterday I bought a new tablet, a BQ Maxwell Plus with Android 4.0.4 ICS and a A9 Dual Core 1,6Ghz plus 1GB RAM.

I'm trying to get DSLR Controller working with my Canon T2i/550D but i think it won't be possible. I use an OTG cable that works fine with all my flash drives, so I think the cable is nice enough, and I use too the original USB cable to attach the camera to the OTG cable.

I tried without being root, because I'm an Android noob, but it didn't work. So I rooted the tablet, and the results with USB Host Diagnostics are these:

Android API
Claims support - NO
Classes found - YES
Device detected - NO

Rooted API
Claims support - YES
Device detected - YES

KERNEL
Claims support - YES
Device detected - YES

VERDICT
OS support - YES
3rd party apps - Rooted

I tried too to use ML Controller, and before rooting the tablet it didn't work, but now it opens and says Version - ML not found!: 0. As I have seen on the official thread of ML Controller, this is because the last ML version (that I already have installed on my camera) is not supported yet by the app, but I think it detects the camera.

Finally, Remote Release & DSLR Controller doesn't recognise my camera. I tried with and without LiveView activated, in M/A/Tv modes and Video mode, but nothing.

Can somebody help me? Thank you so much and apologies for my english.

Ramon Rosa
1st January 2013, 02:39 AM |#2217  

More
I just got my cable I needed to hook up my T4i and I am happy to say it is working fine with my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus running Paranoid 2.5 Jelly Bean OS. ^_^

I havent tried all the features yet but I will let you know if I come across any issues. Great work as always.
1st January 2013, 09:09 PM |#2218  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Smile More Requests
There is defiantly two different “camps” when it comes to using this software. Those who want to control their camera and those who want to tether / review their images. I fall into the latter. To this end, I have another request for you Chain or actually a clarification of a previous request. You have been so wonderful at fulfilling our requests and I personally greatly appreciate it. You know I love this software and use it regularly in my studio. OK, enough grovelling.

I would love a way to default to an Image Review mode on start-up and push the “controller mode” to the menu. What I mean is to have the option to toggle modes and lock into that mode. In my “Real World” environment, I usually am shooting with two cameras. As it stands, every time I switch cameras, the process to get back to Image Review is a bit tedious.

1. Exit program if in it. This is required to prevent occasional lockup / or error.
2. Plug in camera
3. Program launch
4. Clear error (This is due to a focus mode I have set in cameras, has no effect on use but I get message every time I start up. Would be great to disable this with a “Don’t show again” check box!)
5. Click menu
6. Click Image Review / JPG
7. Click Mode

If I want to then review image in full screen, it’s:

1. back to menu
2. Image Review
3. Then back to menu and do above again.

I have to do this every time I switch Bodies, which may be several time during a shoot. As I said, ”a bit tedious.”

So, realizing that you have so much on your plate, I make this request.

1. Add option to default start in the Image Review mode of choice and stay there.
2. Add a small button to open the options menu (So we can get back to other modes).
3. Add small button in “Gallery Mode” and “Info Mode” to open image in full screen with support for going back (Back Button) to “Previous Mode”

There may even be an idea here for a different slightly lower cost version of DSLRC. A Review / Tether Mode Only version.

Thank you again for everything you do.
3rd January 2013, 07:31 AM |#2219  

More
Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?
3rd January 2013, 11:11 AM |#2220  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazeOne

Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?

After next week I have three weeks reserved for exclusive DSLR Controller work, if that doesn't finished the upcoming update, I'd be surprised
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd January 2013, 03:34 PM |#2221  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Hi Chainfire,

I'm really looking forward for the next update. So I was trying to reproduce my problem and found out that it is a OutOfMemory Exception after about 6 to 8 shots. It's a Galaxy Note 10.1 with about 1 GB free out of 2 GB RAM, so I doubt it's a hardware limit. Could it be that the app doesn't free the images which where already loaded? This crash is reproducible and occurs when the image gets loaded after the shot, you should get a crash report via playstore from me, I guess.

Any hints or do you need any more information?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)