[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview & Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

AuGmENTor

Apr 17, 2012
Marlboro NY
I love this ROM but when some apps try to download a file (like Doggcatcher, Swiftkey, Google Play Music) or streaming (Tunein Pro) or when posting a pic on G+ and it going to sleep before finishing. It will either lock the whole phone up or go into SOD.

I wish I could find a fix, because I love this ROM and JB, but too many apps don't work, I might have to go back to ICS.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Did you do a factory reset/ full wipe? I have used all of the apps you just mentioned without a problem with this ROM. I'd also like to rescind what I said yesterday about the car dock. It seems to be working fine with bluetooth today.
Hey and is 1221 experimental the most recent build to this? I was going to reflash if there was a newer one... But all I see is the 1221 in the OP.

Last edited:

jeffreyjicha

Jun 21, 2010
Reno
forgive my ignorance, but I've been been looking for the nitest kernel and it seems to appear here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34673376

but after following the instructions, it just fails, I think I'm not doing it correctly.

Do I just download the appropriate zip (from the post above) and flash in recovery? That doesn't work.

The following links are the two most recent patches made. The first one, roaming doesn't work, but WiFi settings do and the second one roaming works, but WiFi Settings do not. WiFi will still connect with the second patch as long as it's setup before the patch is flashed.
Here is the ns4g AIO modem patch 12-31 kernel (roaming)- http://d-h.st/3dN

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

BII

Jan 4, 2008
Did you do a factory reset/ full wipe? I have used all of the apps you just mentioned without a problem with this ROM. I'd also like to rescind what I said yesterday about the car dock. It seems to be working fine with bluetooth today.
Hey and is 1221 experimental the most recent build to this? I was going to reflash if there was a newer one... But all I see is the 1221 in the OP.

I was running CM9 before, restored to factory using Odin and then unrooted and then rooted again using QBKing's tutorial. Then flashed this ROM and this where we're at.

The following links are the two most recent patches made. The first one, roaming doesn't work, but WiFi settings do and the second one roaming works, but WiFi Settings do not. WiFi will still connect with the second patch as long as it's setup before the patch is flashed.

I tried flashing both in CWM and it fails after the LED starts flashing

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
Very nice, but:

Sygic does not work.
CoPilot does not work.
Samba Filesharing does not work.

This ROM is not ready yet for the prime time.

It was interesting though.

jeffreyjicha

Jun 21, 2010
Reno
Well my friend, I tried this but .ogg file does not even play at all not even with Apollo. I can play on PC and works.

Apollo doesn't support .ogg files. Try using a different music app.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I tried flashing both in CWM and it fails after the LED starts flashing

If it doesn't work the first time, reboot to recovery and try again. For some reason, it works for me and others after rebooting to recovery.

Isira

Sep 27, 2010
Very nice, but:

Sygic does not work.
CoPilot does not work.
Samba Filesharing does not work.

This ROM is not ready yet for the prime time.

It was interesting though.

Don't know about Samba, but all my GPS apps I use regularly (Navigon and Waze) work fine here.

Battery life is significantly improved over CM9 and I haven't had a random reboot occur yet.

The only annoyance I have with CM10.1 is really a stupid Android 4.2 intentional "feature" Google imposed on us regarding notifications and vibrations. In Android 4.2, your phone will vibrate in vibrate mode no matter what setting you have unless you have vibrate disabled and a silent tone.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39592
https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/commit/9a7debe5857ffc7c71cfc4082b1b6d72a5cf81cd

I had Gmail set up with a notification tone but no vibration set, and I had been repeatedly woken up one evening (I have my phone set on vibrate mode at night). :mad: Now I just set my Gmail sound to silent so I wont be woken up, which also means I will never hear anything when an email arrives. I hope CM10.1 will eventually fix this intentional bug. :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: AuGmENTor

bstevens23

Jun 25, 2011
Don't know about Samba, but all my GPS apps I use regularly (Navigon and Waze) work fine here.

Battery life is significantly improved over CM9 and I haven't had a random reboot occur yet.

The only annoyance I have with CM10.1 is really a stupid Android 4.2 intentional "feature" Google imposed on us regarding notifications and vibrations. In Android 4.2, your phone will vibrate in vibrate mode no matter what setting you have unless you have vibrate disabled and a silent tone.
https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/commit/9a7debe5857ffc7c71cfc4082b1b6d72a5cf81cd

I had Gmail set up with a notification tone but no vibration set, and I had been repeatedly woken up one evening (I have my phone set on vibrate mode at night). :mad: Now I just set my Gmail sound to silent so I wont be woken up, which also means I will never hear anything when an email arrives. I hope CM10.1 will eventually fix this intentional bug. :fingers-crossed:

I've found the quiet hours setting to come in handy.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

dps33

Oct 4, 2008
Saginaw
Apollo doesn't support .ogg files. Try using a different music app.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

If it doesn't work the first time, reboot to recovery and try again. For some reason, it works for me and others after rebooting to recovery.

I think I did not word it correctly. thanks for the note on Apollo.
I converted my mp3 to ogg and put it in ringtones and applied to my default ringtones under settigns|sounds. Phone does not ring just lights up with circles flashinf to answer.

Isira

Sep 27, 2010

I've found the quiet hours setting to come in handy.
The problem is Google introduced a feature which blatantly ignores user preferences. If I set my app to never vibrate, it shouldn't ever vibrate. I was just telling my bedtime story as that's when I discovered this new Android 4.2 "feature".

counterfeit187

Sep 15, 2010
The problem is Google introduced a feature which blatantly ignores user preferences. If I set my app to never vibrate, it shouldn't ever vibrate. I was just telling my bedtime story as that's when I discovered this new Android 4.2 "feature".

In sound modes there's a few options for the pull down tile settings. Off/vibration /sound /and sound + vibration... Use off

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Isira

Sep 27, 2010
Ok, you're not understanding what I'm saying.

If I set an app (Gmail) to never vibrate, then when I'm in vibrate mode, the app is not supposed to vibrate. However, in Android 4.2, Google decided to ignore user settings and make apps vibrate no matter what unless the ringtone is also set to Silent.

From the Android 4.2 commit.
"When in vibrate mode, all notifications will vibrate.
(Unless the notification specifies no ringtone AND no
vibration, in which case it will remain silent.)"

There's nothing you can do about it unless someone goes in there and "fixes" the base code. Whether or not CM10.1 will fix this "regression" remains to be seen.

counterfeit187

Sep 15, 2010
Ok, you're not understanding what I'm saying.

If I set an app (Gmail) to never vibrate, then when I'm in vibrate mode, the app is not supposed to vibrate. However, in Android 4.2, Google decided to ignore user settings and make apps vibrate no matter what unless the ringtone is also set to Silent.

From the Android 4.2 commit.
"When in vibrate mode, all notifications will vibrate.
(Unless the notification specifies no ringtone AND no
vibration, in which case it will remain silent.)"

There's nothing you can do about it unless someone goes in there and "fixes" the base code. Whether or not CM10.1 will fix this "regression" remains to be seen.

I get it now, you set your phone to vibrate and don't want things to vibrate... no but seriously I see what your saying, but I think that's the point, if you want silent put it to silent. You obviously still want it to vibrate for other things, so I dunno.

Isira

Sep 27, 2010
I get it now, you set your phone to vibrate and don't want things to vibrate... no but seriously I see what your saying, but I think that's the point, if you want silent put it to silent. You obviously still want it to vibrate for other things, so I dunno.

Only apps which are set to vibrate should be vibrating. In my case, Gmail is specifically set to never vibrate, but because of this Android 4.2 code change, Gmail will now vibrate no matter what the user setting is unless the app is set to "Vibrate == Off && Ringtone == Silent".

Last edited:

spyder09

Feb 23, 2011
Ok guys i got this installed no problem a couple days ago...i tried flashing the updated gapps zip for 4.2.1 (16 dec 2012) in the apps section...half of the apps dont get installed for some reason...the things i see are one of the updater script leaves out some apks (maps for an example because i wanted that installed) and when i was using root explorer i saw my phone storage memory was full without the last half of the apps installed...im going to download the newest experimental build and wipe data, cache, and dalvik and flash it...can anyone tell me what i can do to make sure my phone is partitioned right and make all the updated gapps install?

TexasLTE

Apr 11, 2011
Texas
Ok guys i got this installed no problem a couple days ago...i tried flashing the updated gapps zip for 4.2.1 (16 dec 2012) in the apps section...half of the apps dont get installed for some reason...the things i see are one of the updater script leaves out some apks (maps for an example because i wanted that installed) and when i was using root explorer i saw my phone storage memory was full without the last half of the apps installed...im going to download the newest experimental build and wipe data, cache, and dalvik and flash it...can anyone tell me what i can do to make sure my phone is partitioned right and make all the updated gapps install?

U may wanna consider using ODIN first and doing a totally clean install ( the gapps I use are 20121212-4.21 ), but otherwise doing the 3 wipes ( data - cache - davlik ) and using correct gapps should be good to go :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a preview build of CM10.1 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are not already on an official CM10 or CM10.1 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. Currently, the partition sizes are the same between CM10 and CM10.1

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM10.1 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM10.1 build, or a modified/patched Official CM10.1 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

Nightly Install Instructions:
    1. Download from get.cm. Pay attention to the filenames. Don't grab a CM9 or CM10 build by mistake!
    2. Reboot into recovery and install.

Nightly Changelog: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#epicmtd/cm10.1/next

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.2.1 gapps from goo.im. Any other versions could result in problems.

Known Issues:

- Bluetooth still needs some work. Things work (audio, tethering, file transfers) although they might not work every time. Also, there is a chance that it will get stuck "Turning bluetooth off..." when you attempt to, well, turn bluetooth off. If this happens, your best bet is to reboot your phone before the system bogs down due to logcat spam.

- Wired headset mic & buttons.

Previous preview Builds - Jellybean 4.2.1
    **Do not report bug to the bug tracker if you are using this build.**

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121221-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121213-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip md5: a725db4df65a6229f7c5d69e33907756
    New Build, Jellybean 4.4.2

Here you are, a fresh build with the new Jellybean 4.2.2. That said, I don't know if there are any new bugs introduced by the new code changes.

- I have been using my BT headset for a few hours, doing my best to make it fail. So far it has been running very well, although I'm not going to declare it fixed yet. It's still early and I might just be getting lucky.

- I am not yet aware of any new gapps, so keep using the 4.2.1 gapps from goo. I did a dirty flash over my previous 4.2.1 build and haven't noticed any issues yet. YMMV.

Download cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

New Build

New build. I accidentally missed the M1 build, but this should be pretty close. Nightlies should be in the somewhat near future.

No promises but check this build for any improvement in BT. It includes a test patch (more than just the upstream BT merges). The issues seem to still exist, but I've been having somewhat better luck.. with some things.

It could be a coincidence but here are some observations:
    Pro:
    - Better chance that BT will turn off and back on again.
    - Better chance that the device will connect each time.
    -- When the device doesn't connect, turning BT off/on will allow it to connect (maybe a couple times as necessary).

Con:
    - When using Apollo: If I let an album get to the end and stop audio on it's own, BT audio seems to stop working when beginning a new album. Needs more testing but it's happened more than once. Reboot will usually fix it. Maybe I need to stop letting the album end on its own :p I also need to test other music apps for similar behavior to rule out an Apollo bug.
    - Maybe more, but I forget for now. Let me know if anything is better.

cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    New Preview Build.

Still just some upstream updates:

- This has the new version of the lockscreen/homescreen clock/calendar/weather widget (You may recognize it from CM10)
    - Probably more... poke around :)

I know it's a couple days old already, things have still been a little crazy as the holidays wrap up.

Download cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    The cm-10.1.3 stable build has a flaw with the hardware keyboard arrow keys. Flash the zip in this post to fix it.