Xperia tablet s browser freezes/shutdown issues

Search This thread

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
When i play video from my browser my tablet usualy shutdown for no reason.
I was kindy hoping this is known issue that many are having or maybe some tweaks to fix this.
If never had my tablet shutdown in any other circumstances only if i had browser open.

Also is this tablet supose to be 1.4 ghz or 1.3 ghz because mine apearntly is 1.4 ghz stock while see many advertise this tablet at 1.3 ghz speeds.

SWFlyerUK

Nov 9, 2010
I was kindy hoping this is known issue that many are having or maybe some tweaks to fix this.
If never had my tablet shutdown in any other circumstances only if i had browser open.

Also is this tablet supose to be 1.4 ghz or 1.3 ghz because mine apearntly is 1.4 ghz stock while see many advertise this tablet at 1.3 ghz speeds.

Hi mate,

Ues, it's a known issue - the default browser is very buggy which is why I've installed Chrome and disabled the stock browser.

The device has a Tegra 3 CPU which actually has '5' cores. 1 clocked at 1.3ghz when you're web browsing, listening to music and 4 other cores clocked at 1.4ghz for when your playing intensive games like GTA Vice City or Modern Combat.

Most other Tegra devices are only clocked at 1.3ghz which is why the Xperia Tab has a bit of a umph on benchmarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0K3wL

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012

Sony's Xperia Tablet S family uses Nvidia's Tegra 3 SoC which has an integral CPU rated 1.4 GHz maximum for single-core operation and 1.3 GHz maximum for multi-core operation. So the GHz rating you read depends on whether the advertiser is stating the CPU's single-core or multi-core rating.

I cannot provide any feedback on the stock browser used on the Xperia Tablet S tablet because I do not own one; I own Sony Tablet S tablets.

Reactions: Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
Hi mate,

Ues, it's a known issue - the default browser is very buggy which is why I've installed Chrome and disabled the stock browser.

The device has a Tegra 3 CPU which actually has '5' cores. 1 clocked at 1.3ghz when you're web browsing, listening to music and 4 other cores clocked at 1.4ghz for when your playing intensive games like GTA Vice City or Modern Combat.

Most other Tegra devices are only clocked at 1.3ghz which is why the Xperia Tab has a bit of a umph on benchmarks.

How do you disable and re enable ?

I use chrome but i have default browser still enabled.

Ofc using chrome does't change thing it can still shutdown like least once a day.

browser was slow untill today when aplied some tweaks that if found here.

Anyway you think this tablet gonna be perfectly stable with next update or in future ?

Sony's Xperia Tablet S family uses Nvidia's Tegra 3 SoC which has an integral CPU rated 1.4 GHz maximum for single-core operation and 1.3 GHz maximum for multi-core operation. So the GHz rating you read depends on whether the advertiser is stating the CPU's single-core or multi-core rating.

I cannot provide any feedback on the stock browser used on the Xperia Tablet S tablet because I do not own one; I own Sony Tablet S tablets.

If you happen to life nearby in Netherlands, Enschede you can come try out.

I can find my tablet back anyway using anti theft :p

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
My tablet has the same problem. I'm hoping it's only a firmware issue that can be resolved with an update in the future.

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
My tablet has the same problem. I'm hoping it's only a firmware issue that can be resolved with an update in the future.

They better fix it or i'm going nag nag nag nag untill they do send letter every day and e-mail every day.
Anyway i could return my tablet but rather not their no alternatives except transformer which have 9/10 being below quality.
I bought a transformer half year ago it had 3 dead pixels pissed me so off few month's later did some googling found out 9/10 are just bad that it was lotery tablet.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
They better fix it or i'm going nag nag nag nag untill they do send letter every day and e-mail every day.
Anyway i could return my tablet but rather not their no alternatives except transformer which have 9/10 being below quality.
I bought a transformer half year ago it had 3 dead pixels pissed me so off few month's later did some googling found out 9/10 are just bad that it was lotery tablet.

I did a factory reset today, see if that fixes anything. If not, I might take it a service centre for repair. The way the video and sound corrupts before it powers off makes me suspect a faulty CPU or motherboard...

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
Cant be faulty board or cpu aslong problems only occur in browser, everything would behave bad then.
Found a way to disable default browser but now I have no idea how to enable it again.

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Cant be faulty board or cpu aslong problems only occur in browser, everything would behave bad then.
Found a way to disable default browser but now I have no idea how to enable it again.

Go into Settings -> Apps -> All
Then scroll all the way to the bottom, all of the disabled apps are at the bottom. Tap 'Browser' and enable.

Does your tablet also have the crash/power off problem in the Youtube App? Mine has. And it also had it a few times when playing a movie in MX Player. But never in games. Games never make it power off, not even heavy games such as GTA Vice City.

Last edited:

alkhemista

Nov 5, 2012
I also am experiencing crashes with the Youtube app...

First venture into the tablet market and now i'm doing my best to thwart off buyers remorse.

Sony, wtf?

Sent from my SGPT12 using xda app-developers app

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
Youtube ap is only thing that haven't crashed for me yet.
Anyway i disabled to default browser now hope this lowers the shutdowns to like never else gonna consider making call with sony tomorow nagging untill they fix it.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Youtube ap is only thing that haven't crashed for me yet.
Anyway i disabled to default browser now hope this lowers the shutdowns to like never else gonna consider making call with sony tomorow nagging untill they fix it.

I have had no more crashes since I did a factory reset two days ago, and I haven't disabled any built-in app since the reset. I have also turned off Clear Audio +

noriya

Oct 2, 2011
phnom penh
Can u send me all xperia tabs stock apps,i lost all my stock app after f
Rooted r6b.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk HD

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
i did factory reset before did't help.

I disabled stock browser no idea if that fixed it yet.

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
No idea if their any good stability test apps for this tablet.

Anyway i ran linpack for android and it keeps getting inconsistent or in acurate results

Something tells me my tablet is faulty.........

Anyone else maybe try linpack for android run multi thread and single thread test to see if we all get same results.

I known linpack on pc it should give same results all the time 1 error means pc is unstable.

edit: just read everyone get those kindy results mostly.

Verry anoyed with fact my tablet having issues still

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
No idea if their any good stability test apps for this tablet.

Anyway i ran linpack for android and it keeps getting inconsistent or in acurate results

Something tells me my tablet is faulty.........

Anyone else maybe try linpack for android run multi thread and single thread test to see if we all get same results.

I known linpack on pc it should give same results all the time 1 error means pc is unstable.

edit: just read everyone get those kindy results mostly.

Verry anoyed with fact my tablet having issues still

The inconsistent results is probably because of bad compatibility between old Linpack and new Tegra 3 CPU. I'm getting inconsistent results too.

Zer0K3wL

Jan 2, 2013
Just did another factory reset to get browser back as disabling it don't do anything anyway.
Hoping 1 more factory reset does the trick.

Anyone that have these issues also using antivirus free from AVG ?

Anyway found out my tablet ain't one that is't splash proof so don't have send it back for that reason

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Just did another factory reset to get browser back as disabling it don't do anything anyway.
Hoping 1 more factory reset does the trick.

Anyone that have these issues also using antivirus free from AVG ?

Anyway found out my tablet ain't one that is't splash proof so don't have send it back for that reason

After the factory reset, did you choose to restore settings and app data during the first-use setup? I think it's best not to restore settings and data to have a clean as possible install. Also see if it helps if you leave ClearAudio+ turned off.

Edit:
I am not using AVG.
My tablet did shut down once since the factory reset, but it wasn't because of watching videos, it was shortly after a Firefox crash.
Watching videos has been without problems so far.

Last edited:

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
About the splash proof flaw, you can check it for yourself to make sure, by looking at the two bottom corners of the tablet. If you see a tiny gap between the aluminum back panel and the black edge of the front, you can be sure that your back panel needs replacing:

gap2_zps06092d19.jpg

gap1_zps8a89d25d.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi mate,

Can you guys root this thing?

Sent from my Xperia Tablet S using XDA premium

No, we cant. We are waiting for JB release and hoping it will be rootable.
    Can you guys root this thing?
    That depends on the version of Android currently installed on the tablet. Read Stifilz's The Sony Tablet FAQ Thread.
    - Check this to be enable DTS (and other codec) support in MX Player http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156254

- I assume that you, like me, use the software decoder when watching movies. I have to use the software decoder for most (h264) hd movies, other wise I am continually experiencing frame drops. Software decode works perfect, but eats battery. (And this pisses me off a bit since I bought a Tegra 3 device assuming the processor could handle it in hardware mode....). I wonder if Nexus 7 users experience this as well :p

Appreciate the tip I'll try it out. As for the decoding I use HW and it works flawlessly. Do you have the mx player arm7-neon plug in? I'll post S/S's of my configuration.

Sent from my SGPT12 using XDA Premium HD app

Will not let me post attachments. Shoot me up email n I'll send Em to you. You figure out a way to move apps to sd w/o root? I went into commands and did PM set-install-location 2 and had no luck.