[Q] sd card unmount unexpectedly

Search This thread

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
I have started facing this issue since the past 3-4 days and here are my views that can also serve as valuable information for everyone else:

- This error message started to appear only after I upgraded to android 4.1.2 by flashing the stock rom via odin.
- Im also using the SanDisk Ultra Class 10 32GB card
- I have not rooted my phone after upgrade and my phone is in fully stock condition, although it was rooted before.
- I dropped my phone once. But it was a very minor drop and everything was fine after the drop as it was on 4.1.1 at that time and i was on the same for further 10-15 days and never witnessed the error during these days..

These things should also be considered-
- The method of copying data from PC to phone. I use data cable and copy to the folders while the card is in the phone.
- Whether you remove the card without unmounting it.

I have tried formatting the card from windows using fat32 setting. It didnt help.
Formatted it with the phone and still saw the error once in the past 24hours..

In future, if I encounter the same problem, I might get the card replaced by visiting the sandisk service center here in India. Or, I can try flashing 4.1.1 again and revert back the result. As of now, everything seems to be fine as I have not seen the error for about a day or so.. (Fingers crossed)

I have the same problem in 4.1.1. Stock, NOT rooted, ever.
Brand new SanDisk Ultra 32GB class UhS-1, bought from the official Amazon store.
Been seeing this problem about the same time since I got official 4.1.1 update from Kies. Formatted it in computer, and in phone, then the problem seems to go away for a few hours, but comes back within a day. What a battery hog, not to mention it can't be healthy for the card!

Trying exFAT format now. Will report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: rascal123

chun914

Nov 28, 2012
Let me guess, you are all using sandisk ultra cards? These cards appear to be a real pain in the a s s . Mine, (bought new off Amazon in October) went tits up and I believe it was the card that somehow caused corrupted files and caused my "media" process to be a complete battery hog.

About a week before the card totally failed to be recognized by my computer or my phone, I got those random messages about my sd card being unmounted and then it would just automatically scan it as if I had just inserted it when in reality I never took it out. I was able to copy everything to my computer about an hour before it was complete toast

I suggest you copy any important files on the card to your computer or wherever before it completely fails. I don't know what to do about getting a new card. I already filed a warranty claim with Sandisk but I am hesitant to use their brand again. Sandisk seems to be THE brand out there. I would like to try another brand.

I had this issue exactly the same but i have not do any backup on time before it completely dead.. Same **** sandisk.......I'm now in a progress of SDcard replacement.....and not dare to use this brand again.......

parrot5

Feb 7, 2008
Brand new SanDisk Ultra 32GB class UhS-1, bought from the official Amazon store.
Been seeing this problem about the same time since I got official 4.1.1 update from Kies. Formatted it in computer, and in phone, then the problem seems to go away for a few hours, but comes back within a day. What a battery hog, not to mention it can't be healthy for the card!

Nope, each formatting would stop the problem for a few hours, but it still comes back within a day. :silly:

rascal123

Mar 4, 2012
kl
Nope, each formatting would stop the problem for a few hours, but it still comes back within a day. :silly:

Better replace ur sd card...mine after got replace had never encounter the problem again..but im not sure for how long it will remain this way. .I hope it will last forever..loosing data, pics n important files were really painful. .:(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

akdenizx

Dec 12, 2011
Klaipeda
I have the same problem. Yesterday i have flashed some other ROMs but they did not solved. I'm using SanDisk 32 GB Class 10 as well. While i were using 4.1.1 there was no problem but after the latest update it has occured.

If it worked normel before it means SD cards are okey..

:(

rascal123

Mar 4, 2012
kl
I have the same problem. Yesterday i have flashed some other ROMs but they did not solved. I'm using SanDisk 32 GB Class 10 as well. While i were using 4.1.1 there was no problem but after the latest update it has occured.

If it worked normel before it means SD cards are okey..

:(

U can start doing a backup of your precious items. .:)

codeknight11

Dec 3, 2011
I have the same problem after the new 4.1.2 update. It seems it is a software bug after all. Same 32GB SanDisk sd card

rickafterburner

Mar 8, 2009
+1 stock everything

+1 this thread. I have a Galaxy Note II - completely vanilla stock, never rooted. I was having issues (don't remember what they were) with the old 16gb card that I was using in another device from a while back and bought the Amazon "SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQ-032G-AFFP"

I've been having issues since shortly after I bought it and will contact Samsung.

Thanks for the thread!

junkoi

Oct 8, 2012
i can confirm this bug with my Note 2. i have the same problem since i upgraded to 4.1.2. the bug appears immediately after the upgrade.

this is definitely the firmware bug, so all the suggestions of replacing the SD card is absolutely wrong.

wondering if Samsung is aware of the problem, and how we can push them to fix it.

Reactions: steveladds

rickafterburner

Mar 8, 2009
Amazon replaced SD card and problem cleared

I don't understand, but I started by trying to contact SanDisk via Amazon to see if they'd gotten other complaints; Amazon sent me a new card and the problem cleared and didn't return.

I wonder if it's some issue between the new firmware and some SD cards. In any case, it's been a few weeks, and the symptoms haven't returned.

Good luck all, and thanks for the thread.

Rick

+1 this thread. I have a Galaxy Note II - completely vanilla stock, never rooted. I was having issues (don't remember what they were) with the old 16gb card that I was using in another device from a while back and bought the Amazon "SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQ-032G-AFFP"

I've been having issues since shortly after I bought it and will contact Samsung.

Thanks for the thread!

karthiksn

Oct 12, 2012
Noida
I have also started facing this problem recently. Bought a new Sandisk 32GB ultra class 10 card. But this started after I did an auto root. But from what I hear that is not the problem. From what I have read in this thread it looks like I will have to get a replacement.

stilljk

May 6, 2012
This happened to me just now. My Note 2 keeps unmounting my sd card and says it's safe to remove. I haven't rooted it or anything. I tried rebooting, taking the battery out, removing the sd card and putting it back in, qnd nothing seems to fix it.It's running on 4.1.2. This is a total bummer as I now have no music for my commute to school.

Last edited:

alfa7d

Feb 7, 2009
Same problem with same sd card( sandisk) . It happened to me after i unrooted and install CMW recovery to my phone. Then i return my phone back to stock 4.1.1 and update to 4.1.2 but still facing same issue !!

maybe we need someone from sandisk company to see this thread and how many people having this problem with this baaad card !!

G

GuestK00464

First go to samsung.... And beat em up if u r still using stock(unrooted).....i bet u card is not at all a issue if u can access it on pc or other phone

I hate my X and love my Next.......... Conditions apply*

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

If u r rooted i guess u have flashed wrong root. Zip(via old version of odin) file of some other firmware version samsung has recently launched 3 firmware updates which 1 is urs?

I hate my X and love my Next.......... Conditions apply*

arctic84

Jan 11, 2008
So.. i figured something out..

so now I have two sd cards

32gb samsung microsd

64gb samsung microsd

The 32gb started having this issue when I put the phone down lightly (and i have a tpu case) and it would just give me the unmount notification. Even when I went jogging and it was in my armband.. same problem.

Since then I purchased the 64gb samsung microsd (would've gone with sandisk, but heard about too many issues) and have yet to see any problems with it *fingers crossed* (btw i'm rooted and running tweaked)

My girl and my friend both have the note 2 but are using 16gb and 8gb microsd cards and have yet to run into this issue.

So, that this point i'm not quite sure what to blame.. the 32gb sdcard.. which had NO issues whatsoever with every other phone i've had..
...or the galaxy note 2? o_O

Last edited:

luismedina

I started with this issue a couple of days ago.
I'm using a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSD card since 2 months ago and no problems whatsoever. The issue happens even with the screen turned on and music playing, Poweramp is not able to read the files but after the card is mounted again everything goes back to normal, also, Storage is reporting over 12 GB for pictures and videos, which is wrong because all of my pictures are in my SD card and I only have around 740 pictures for the camera folder.

I even move my pictures to the internal storage to figure out if i could resolve the issue with the Storage report but i've had not success.

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
Planinng to get a new one as mine 32gig is also givin same issue.
Should I go with transcend/Samsung or any other. And 32/64 if it really matters for this issue

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

rascal123

Mar 4, 2012
kl
Why don't u claim for your warranty. .? Mine after replace with new one under warranty the problem have gone like forever...:D

OK, seems I understand the issue, and seems also that I cornered the issue.

First, the card is working normally while DEVICE ISN'T SLEEPING.
Second, it happens mostly while WE'RE SLEEPING AT NIGHT or WHILE THE PHONE LEFT DEEP SLEEP (Paranormal Activity? LOL)

So, based on this: something in kernel/ROM/anything that control the power to SDCARD doesn't provide correct/adequate voltage or electricity to the SDCARD while the phone in DEEPSLEEP.

Or: the card don't want to be suspended in deepsleep, it just removing itself when instructed to sleep (this one is the card's fault).

And: any card thats been badly removed thousands times (it can do around 20 bad removal at 7h period so, count it yourself), its become broken/unusable but not fried as stated in many site). The chip broken,yes,but due to bad removal thousands times....

So, any response and research is needed on this.

Also disassembling the device to re-plug the sd/sim module flex inside doesn't help at all, so don't bother with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, it's been happening to me too when unlocking the phone (and seemingly more recently over the last week).

Using a Sandisk Ultra card and on the standard 4.1.1 ROM.
    Let me guess, you are all using sandisk ultra cards? These cards appear to be a real pain in the a s s . Mine, (bought new off Amazon in October) went tits up and I believe it was the card that somehow caused corrupted files and caused my "media" process to be a complete battery hog.

About a week before the card totally failed to be recognized by my computer or my phone, I got those random messages about my sd card being unmounted and then it would just automatically scan it as if I had just inserted it when in reality I never took it out. I was able to copy everything to my computer about an hour before it was complete toast

I suggest you copy any important files on the card to your computer or wherever before it completely fails. I don't know what to do about getting a new card. I already filed a warranty claim with Sandisk but I am hesitant to use their brand again. Sandisk seems to be THE brand out there. I would like to try another brand.
    im using transcend 32 gb its work fine in my note but its not work properly in note 2
    Rooted my phone and install CWM I get this problem, but after format the sd card to fat32, everythings go well......
    I have started facing this issue since the past 3-4 days and here are my views that can also serve as valuable information for everyone else:

- This error message started to appear only after I upgraded to android 4.1.2 by flashing the stock rom via odin.
    - Im also using the SanDisk Ultra Class 10 32GB card
    - I have not rooted my phone after upgrade and my phone is in fully stock condition, although it was rooted before.
    - I dropped my phone once. But it was a very minor drop and everything was fine after the drop as it was on 4.1.1 at that time and i was on the same for further 10-15 days and never witnessed the error during these days..

These things should also be considered-
    - The method of copying data from PC to phone. I use data cable and copy to the folders while the card is in the phone.
    - Whether you remove the card without unmounting it.

I have tried formatting the card from windows using fat32 setting. It didnt help.
    Formatted it with the phone and still saw the error once in the past 24hours..

In future, if I encounter the same problem, I might get the card replaced by visiting the sandisk service center here in India. Or, I can try flashing 4.1.1 again and revert back the result. As of now, everything seems to be fine as I have not seen the error for about a day or so.. (Fingers crossed)