FORUMS

[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

23,399 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,018

By Fallen Spartan, Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy on 12th November 2012, 11:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th January 2013, 03:21 PM |#311  
Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
Flag Malibu Point
Thanks Meter: 11,219

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohinZaraki

Trust me, I find learning is more efficient when you get to know that person better and that person gets to know you better. Even when I developed, I never used to shun people away, In fact, I always stressed how my inbox and gtalk will always be open. In turn, I made many new friends and gave birth to many genuine developers (not the winzip morons of today, the real source code guys) and that makes you feel accomplised. I know, I could just make a guide on source building a rom, but then what would make me different from other sites ? I'd rather teach them in real time. In school, imagine attending a class where the teacher never enters and just leaves notes for you to read. Confused ? Ask your friends. However, asking people who are sometimes just as confused as you is not as effective as hearing it from the horses mouth. Anyway, I can go on and on but truth is, I have my own mind set and will not change my attitude about people hitting me up on gtalk or Facebook asking about development, and everyone else will basically say otherwise. At the end of the day, as I mentioned, XDA has become more like a pit stop for me to download, flash and leave.

Rohin I know you mean well, but spread your wings and visit other popular sections in the XDA community.

I'm still not sure where you stand. Are you asking that all things being equal, the site is running fine? No changes need be made?
8th January 2013, 03:25 PM |#312  
OP Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Flag Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey

Donate to Me
More
I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fallen Spartan Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 03:32 PM |#313  
Flag Malibu Point

More
@Fallen Spartan

You are the bestest Spartan Elf ever

Directly from Stark communication.
8th January 2013, 03:35 PM |#314  
So as to get closure on something so we don't keep on beating the dead horse...

Take this as the official stance...

"Creation of Off Topic threads in any sub forum outside of the General>Off Topic section will be solely the decision of the moderator team in charge of that specific section. Please be advised that this stance may be different between the different teams and what is allowed by one team may not be allowed by another.

If you have questions regarding a thread you want to start, it would be wise for you to contact your local moderator before spending time on writing/opening a new thread which may not be suitable for the area in question."

There, problem solved...

Edit: sorry FS, just saw your post....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift egzthunder1 Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 03:39 PM |#315  
Flag Malibu Point

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by egzthunder1

"Creation of Off Topic threads in any sub forum outside of the General>Off Topic section will be solely the decision of the moderator team in charge of that specific section. Please be advised that this stance may be different between the different teams and what is allowed by one team may not be allowed by another.

If you have questions regarding a thread you want to start, it would be wise for you to contact your local moderator before spending time on writing/opening a new thread which may not be suitable for the area in question."

There, problem solved...

Will the Mod team's be advising each section of their decision? How will people know NOT to start one.

Why can't they all simply be put in the general OT section? Less confusion.
8th January 2013, 03:44 PM |#316  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

There, problem solved...

.....and as such, I now consider the OT threads discussion over
8th January 2013, 03:44 PM |#317  
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStark

Will the Mod team's be advising each section of there decision? How will people know NOT to start one.

People have issues with not being able to post OT in General device sections for some reason... now you guys see how difficult it is to accommodate requests? and this is a simple one with little to no impact to the site.

As for your question, that is why I stated that the poster should contact the mod team in charge before opening a seemingly OT thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to egzthunder1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift egzthunder1 Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 03:48 PM |#318  
Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 54,735

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStark

Will the Mod team's be advising each section of there decision? How will people know NOT to start one.

It is more likely the team will post what is not allowed. If you see an off-topic lounge in the stickies of a device forum then that is what that team decided on. As you have seen in my team's devices sometimes it was helpful to make several focused stickies.

Most members do not venture out of their device's forums so don't even know the general OT section exists. Moderators constantly "dumping" their OT there works for teams that do not allow any OT but would also make the OT section more like XDA's trash bin. But there is different opinions on what is OT and what is slightly OT yet device related.

XDA Moderator

Edit: EGZ ninja'd me!
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KennyG123 Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 03:51 PM |#319  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,751

More
Quote:

...You are essentially calling moderators on this team "incapable" of handling development cases or worse yet, you are effectively deeming moderators as incapable of learning about development, and that I have a problem with. This is not feedback or a suggestion. This is a direct jab at moderators.

It's not intended as a direct jab. To me, it's a simple fact. However, you are twisting my words to another intent. My statement was "XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is." That's not a jab. It's not even an insult. I love my wife more than life itself, yet my wife has no clue what development is. That's not an insult, jab, etc. If someone told me that I have no clue how to sell a product, I wouldn't be insulted. In fact, I'd agree with them.

You also seemed to ignore the word "some" in there. I didn't say ALL are incapable, I said SOME.

It also doesn't say anything about learning. If they can learn, that's great. Until they do learn, however, is it really appropriate for them to be making a determination what is and what isn't development?

I'm good with people disagreeing with me. I'm also fully willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I really enjoy debating with people that disagree with me as it has the potential to expand the understanding of both sides - but please don't twist my words. If you want to read what I type as an insult or attack, I can't stop you - but perhaps you might consider that these things aren't attacks at all.

Quote:

I stand behind my team 100% and I honestly will not tolerate this kind of open insult coming from anyone, period.

That's great. However, I hope your support isn't so blind that you'll misinterpret constructive criticism as an attack. It's not. Just as I feel that some moderators have no idea what proper development is, I'll freely admit that the majority of the devs here have no clue what proper moderation is. It's not an insult.

Quote:

Again, want to provide feedback and suggestions about the site? Be my guest, but instead of complaining, do some constructive criticism and provide solutions as well...

I'm happy to do so. However, are you happy to take that criticism for what it is instead of twisting it into attacks that were never intended?

Communication requires two parties willing to communicate. I'm willing. Are you?
8th January 2013, 04:06 PM |#320  

Donate to Me
More
The way I see it, rather than going down the road of suggestions & recommendations, we appear to be receiving a lot of criticism. Now, I have no objections to constructive criticism, but as of late, the constructive side of it appears to be missing
8th January 2013, 04:08 PM |#321  
Flag Malibu Point

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

It is more likely the team will post what is not allowed. If you see an off-topic lounge in the stickies of a device forum then that is what that team decided on. As you have seen in my team's devices sometimes it was helpful to make several focused stickies.

Most members do not venture out of their device's forums so don't even know the general OT section exists. Moderators constantly "dumping" their OT there works for teams that do not allow any OT but would also make the OT section more like XDA's trash bin. But there is different opinions on what is OT and what is slightly OT yet device related.

XDA Moderator

Kenny.. nice to see you in here My head is ready to burst... I wish it were this simple. So what is your suggestion to prevent this? I think of the word sprawl , when I envision the decision of one mod to allow talk within a Dvelopment thread and those that do not. We are simply faced with the readers lack of reading ANYTHING.

OK egzthunder1 so it's business as usual. Direct people to read the sticky
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyStark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TonyStark Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)