(MOD) make touch more responsive

Search This thread

tamarasu

Dec 13, 2009
Dear guys and gals,

Found a key for touch prediction that when edited showed a marked improvement in keyboard responsiveness and small item manipulation ie classic desktop, file explorer, etc.
The key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPrediction

Edit key for latency from 8 to 2.
Edit sample time from 8 to 2
Restart

See attached for a edited registry key to inject. Tested on two surfaces with no ill effects.

edit: to answer a few questions: this increases performance on all touch aspects of the device

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
The most likely ill effect would be a decrease in battery life as the system must poll the touchscreen more often... just be aware. Otherwise, cool find.

Bjray

Mar 11, 2011
Texas
Keyboard does seem faster... Does this also affect swiping? it seems like I can swipe in any way and get the full length of the page / app in one swipe?

Dadstar

Aug 2, 2012
Royersford, PA
Is it that easy for all the values? In other words, can all of the registry values be set to 1 to improve performance? Or are all the values a certain number for a reason? Cuz if latency of 1 works better than the original 8, idk why Microsoft would put it at 8 in the first place. Sorry for all the questions. This stuff is interesting to me!

ruscik

Jun 16, 2007
London
First off all any values are "safe values". Some screens might be of worse quality then others (different manufacturers of parts). Having that value setup to happy medium means all screens act the same. You lower the value you demand that screen reads the inputs faster and more often. Might not be a good idea on some devices.

Not only talking about surface. Remember win8 (especially pro) will go on many different devices.

Also if you set sampling and refresh to low it might start having ghost touches from minimum input that would normally not be visible (oversensitive).

Best to practice and find perfect for you and your device.

Reactions: Dadstar

Dadstar

Aug 2, 2012
Royersford, PA
First off all any values are "safe values". Some screens might be of worse quality then others (different manufacturers of parts). Having that value setup to happy medium means all screens act the same. You lower the value you demand that screen reads the inputs faster and more often. Might not be a good idea on some devices.

Not only talking about surface. Remember win8 (especially pro) will go on many different devices.

Also if you set sampling and refresh to low it might start having ghost touches from minimum input that would normally not be visible (oversensitive).

How about the other regs that don't really have a highest/lowest rate? For example, Disable Hotmail is defaulted at 2. What would changing that to 1 do?

ruscik

Jun 16, 2007
London
How about the other regs that don't really have a highest/lowest rate? For example, Disable Hotmail is defaulted at 2. What would changing that to 1 do?

No there is no general rule where lower value is better. Some of the values displayed are "face values" where 2 is 2 like refresh 2 times a second. Some times 2 and 1 have a meaning off or on (like your hotmail). Remember PC reads numbers. Even more sometimes numbers, text or mix you see like 8 or 4 are actually representations of some kind of code for example hex or binary.

If you do not know what the number represents then changing it is a guess and nothing more. Just have a backup copy as fiddling in registry with drivers can have funny side effects. I did make my hd7 think i am touching it everywhere all the time so it hang seconds after boot ;)

Reactions: Dadstar

Wupideedoo

Jan 17, 2007
Are we sure this does anything at all? In order to test if the differences were psychological, I set the number to a ridiculously high value and it didn't seem to behave any differently.

msafwan

Nov 19, 2015
"touch prediction" did prediction, not pooling!

"Latency" = how much milisecond to look ahead
"SampleTime" = the period in milisecond to average your finger's motion

The effect is thus:
Larger "latency" make the pointer overshoot, smaller "latency" make the pointer lag behind (1 - 100 milisecond depending on your system performance).

There's no penalty on your tablet's battery or digitizer's life for turning TouchPrediction off, and you don't need to restart to see the effect. (try finger drawing in MS Paint to see effect)

If your Surface missed touch, then try to cool the back of your tablet. It might be thermal throttling.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear guys and gals,

Found a key for touch prediction that when edited showed a marked improvement in keyboard responsiveness and small item manipulation ie classic desktop, file explorer, etc.
    The key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPrediction

Edit key for latency from 8 to 2.
    Edit sample time from 8 to 2
    Restart

See attached for a edited registry key to inject. Tested on two surfaces with no ill effects.

edit: to answer a few questions: this increases performance on all touch aspects of the device
    Originally I choose 2 to test the battery draw. However, now that I haven't seen any significant increase in battery usage the drop to 1 can be done.

What would decreasing the values to 1 due? I am assuming the lower the value, the better. Or did it not test well on Surface?

No there is no general rule where lower value is better. Some of the values displayed are "face values" where 2 is 2 like refresh 2 times a second. Some times 2 and 1 have a meaning off or on (like your hotmail). Remember PC reads numbers. Even more sometimes numbers, text or mix you see like 8 or 4 are actually representations of some kind of code for example hex or binary.

If you do not know what the number represents then changing it is a guess and nothing more. Just have a backup copy as fiddling in registry with drivers can have funny side effects. I did make my hd7 think i am touching it everywhere all the time so it hang seconds after boot ;)