FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Battery drain by baseband_xmm_power

1,008 posts
Thanks Meter: 231

By manekineko, Senior Member on 7th December 2012, 12:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone ever see this problem before? I got a watchdog notification alert from BetterBatteryStats that something had kept my Nexus 7 100% awake when its screen was off.

I fired up BetterBatteryStats and it showed a kernel wakelock (not caused by an installed app) by something called baseband_xmm_power.

I'm not getting it all the time. I wonder based on the name if this might be another 4.2 bug caused by a problem in their drivers for the Nexus 7 3G.

Searching online, it seems like this is related to Tegra.

7th December 2012, 04:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have the same problem. The funny thing is that the problem gets worse when I turn airplane mode on. I'm using a bone stock 3g model.
The Following User Says Thank You to toseikai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift toseikai Ad-Free
7th December 2012, 10:23 AM |#3  

More
Hi OP,

I have the same problem as you. N7 3G.

BetterBatteryStats also shows me that I am 100% awake throughout the night. 100% of the time in baseband_xmm_power wakelock
I have tried a few combinations to see the effect.
1. Turn to airplane mode (no use)
2. Use only 2G (no use)
3. Use only 2G-no data enabled (no use)
4. Turn to airplane mode then reboot my N7 (tried this morning and I manage to get the tablet to "Deep Sleep")

I will still need a few more tries to make sure that point 4 really works. My battery is draining very quickly ~20% per 10 hours when the baseband symptoms occur.
The Following User Says Thank You to justin0108 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift justin0108 Ad-Free
8th December 2012, 08:14 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 231

More
Man, this is annoying. I thought that going stock Nexus was going to get me away from the wonkiness of bad kernel drivers causing wake locks and random reboots.

Anyone know if there is any sort of procedure to report bugs in a Nexus device to Google? Would we just submit issues to the AOSP issue tracker?
10th December 2012, 01:44 AM |#5  

More
I have confirmed point 4 works for me, ie put to airplane mode then reset the tablet. I will not get the baseband symotoms. OP maybe you can try this work around while waiting for any patches.
The Following User Says Thank You to justin0108 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift justin0108 Ad-Free
6th January 2013, 10:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I am having the same issue with my N7 3G. Seems to happen at random but something must be triggering it. I have just gone over two days since the last reboot with lots of deep sleep and then last night the baseband_xmm_power wakelock reared its ugly head again.

Do Google/Asus have a website where such issues can be reported and/or tracked?

Is it possible to capture the output of the pr_debug() calls without recompiling baseband-xmm-powerbase.c into a new kernel or rooting my N7?
8th January 2013, 06:00 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime

I am having the same issue with my N7 3G. Seems to happen at random but something must be triggering it. I have just gone over two days since the last reboot with lots of deep sleep and then last night the baseband_xmm_power wakelock reared its ugly head again.

Do Google/Asus have a website where such issues can be reported and/or tracked?

+1 !!!

very annoying. also occurs with different kernels
10th January 2013, 11:08 PM |#8  

More
At the risk of tempting fate, I may have this under control now.

Since I disabled automatic network connection baseband_xmm_power usage has been minimal. Heading for 7 hours screen time and almost 3 days of standby since the last recharge. Fingers crossed ...
10th January 2013, 11:33 PM |#9  

More
you mean under mobile networks > network operators?

the problem is, i get the drain even on airplane mode ...
11th January 2013, 10:46 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuumuun

you mean under mobile networks > network operators?

the problem is, i get the drain even on airplane mode ...

Yes, that's the one.

I couldn't understand why the baseband was using power in aeroplane mode either, but I am definitely using aeroplane mode when I am not using the tablet for any length of time. I keep it at the side of my bed at night and unless I use aeroplane mode or remember to turn the sound down it wakes me up when sync notifications occur.

For some reason the reception for my cellphone network is variable near my home, even though I can see the cell towers from my bedroom window.

Latest BetterBatteryStats report says baseband_xmm_power has been used for 20m 31s out of 2d 17h 13m of uptime since the last full charge and CPU Spy reports 59:19:20 in Deep Sleep state out of a total state time of 65:08:35.
11th January 2013, 03:33 PM |#11  

More
ok, i have selected the network manually. let's see how it goes
fingers crossed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)