FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,016

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 12:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th January 2013, 11:22 AM |#2271  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 86,016

Donate to Me
More
Again, there are multiple levels of USB support in an Android device, and all of them most work correctly for DSLR Controller to operate. DSLR Controller was pretty much the first app to actually use the USB port like this, and as such everything was new when I started building it. Had I known then what I know now about the system, I would have built it differently, which would have been more robust, more portable and altogether better. That a USB mouse works does NOT mean DSLR Controller should work. They operate on different levels in the operating system.

It would not have changed much though for the Android situation. Many cheap tablets and custom firmwares simply do not have a full software stack of USB host support. This is not my fault nor my problem - in reality there is precious little I can do about this, and those things that can be done, have mostly been done.

If you have problems with your config, 95 out of 100 times it's your config itself, and not the app. There's nothing I can do in those situations. It's like calling Microsoft for support because your monitor has broken.

If you buy a $150 tablet, chances are it won't work. Nothing I can do. If you're running CM and it doesn't work while stock firmware does, nothing I can do, go talk to your device's CM maintainer and work with him to get USB host properly supported on that device.

If your device reboots during DSLR Controller operation, there is something wrong with your setup. Most likely your cables are suffering from too much interference. Just because the cable doesn't always give problems, or works fine with your <whatever-device> doesn't mean the cable isn't bad. It could also be your firmware. The app itself cannot cause a reboot without something else being faulty as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

15th January 2013, 04:14 PM |#2272  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Action and title safe overlays
Feature request: Action and Title safe overlays
15th January 2013, 04:20 PM |#2273  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Just found this tonight. Works like a charm with my 650D and Galaxy Tab 7.7

Very happy to hear that development for this is full steam ahead. It's absolutely amazing.
15th January 2013, 05:00 PM |#2274  

More
Request
Chainfire, excellent app... love it.

There is one thing I like to ask:-

Any chance of porting the wifi pass through code to a raspberry pi?
If you think its possible but just havent got the time/see the point, I'd be glad to try porting it (all right remain with you, of course) !

I just want to embed a pi in a battery grip and use DSLR controller on my S3 via wifi.

Cheers!
18th January 2013, 04:06 AM |#2275  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by slollo

I have the similar trouble. My tablet is rooted and the Remote Release has Superuser permission but my 550D is always "Busy" and the app don't find the device.

I was having he same problem and then installed USB Host Diagnostics and it seemed to fix the problem.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Chainfire,

Outstanding APP! I look forward to what you will offer in the next release. Keep up the great work.
19th January 2013, 06:06 PM |#2276  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Re: [Android 2.3.1/3.x/4.x][27.09.2012] DSLR Controller v0.96.0 BETA [USB HOST REQUIR
Does anyone know if the OG Droid Incredible works with this... My sister has one that she might give me so I can use it as a Wi-Fi pass through for my Galaxy S3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
19th January 2013, 11:56 PM |#2277  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Amazing work! Big fat thanks
20th January 2013, 09:05 AM |#2278  
Flag PALESTINE
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Thumbs up con agemicg
very nice
20th January 2013, 10:48 AM |#2279  

More
Thumbs up
Works great on my Asus Transformer Prime TF201 with keyboard+EOS 50D

Just that I cant find the taken photos on my Prime?
20th January 2013, 05:57 PM |#2280  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
feature request
Hi Chainfire

Thanks for a great app been using it awhile now without issues with Nexus 7 and Canon 600d, also have the app running over wifi mode running on a htc phone connected via wifi to the tablet that is then connected to the camera via otg cable. was wondering if in future you could change your dslr remote app so it can connect to a tablet running dslr contontroler over wifi, for example

Nexus 7 connected to camera using live view etc as per normal , then use another android device ie phone just as a wifi connected remote shutter release, no need to push the liveview or other information across to the phone as this should still be displayed on the tablet mounted to tripod along with camera, but it is used just to initiate the initial shutter release.

for my hdr work this would be great and help to reduce contact movement to camera etc. (which i know is not to bad or last long ) but would be a great feature.
21st January 2013, 01:47 PM |#2281  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
telsao ASSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by themanwithnoname

Works great on my Asus Transformer Prime TF201 with keyboard+EOS 50D

Just that I cant find the taken photos on my Prime?

The photo's are on the camera not your tablet the images you see being transferred are not copied there the data is copied just for viewing. I think Chainfire is planning in the next update for images to be able to be transferred to the tablet or connected usb drives, so we will have to wait and see.

so just to confirm the images currently are kept on your camera memory card.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)