Post Reply Email Thread
31st December 2012, 02:32 AM |#181  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,870

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie72903

No it would not read the update file. Before I tried the 1.2, I did try doing the 1.4.3 directly, I was able to register and read books and magazines but no apps from BN would work. I ran the ManualNooter5 and couldn't get the market to update to Play Store or to be anything but partial, so I gave up on it and wiped to try the 1.2.

So that is why it is saying not compatible. Too old of a system (1.2). And if it won't update you have no choice but to go directly to 1.4.3.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free

31st December 2012, 02:38 AM |#182  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

So that is why it is saying not compatible. Too old of a system (1.2). And if it won't update you have no choice but to go directly to 1.4.3.

I have already tried going directly to 1.4.3 and i still can't get the bn apps to work and after running the manualnooter, the market doesn't update to the play store and none of the fixes have worked to make it full, so no apps whichever stock I use, BN or android. That is my dilemma, no matter what I do it's not working, even though I seem to be doing it right as you confirmed earlier, so I am lost and stuck with a non working nc unless I want to fully root it I suppose...
31st December 2012, 02:57 AM |#183  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I have already tried going directly to 1.4.3 and i still can't get the bn apps to work and after running the manualnooter, the market doesn't update to the play store and none of the fixes have worked to make it full, so no apps whichever stock I use, BN or android. That is my dilemma, no matter what I do it's not working, even though I seem to be doing it right as you confirmed earlier, so I am lost and stuck with a non working nc unless I want to fully root it I suppose...

Well, I know you tried it, try again. It is supposed to work. If you don't want to try again, give up.

31st December 2012, 03:01 AM |#184  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Well, I know you tried it, try again. It is supposed to work. If you don't want to try again, give up.

I will try again. I just needed to know it is supposed to work and I am doing it right, so hopefully eventually it will work. Do I ever need to run your repair partition 2 zip? That is something I have not done yet. Thanks again for your help.
31st December 2012, 03:06 AM |#185  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I will try again. I just needed to know it is supposed to work and I am doing it right, so hopefully eventually it will work. Do I ever need to run your repair partition 2 zip? That is something I have not done yet. Thanks again for your help.

It won't hurt to run that, but I doubt it will help with the issue you are having.

4th January 2013, 12:34 AM |#186  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Lightbulb mailpen.com is still available !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al4d

The links in post #1 seem to be dead. Mailpen.com is unavailable.

mailpen.com is indeed still available; 1.5 years after my initial post, it still gets over 100 downloads a week. Are you running software that blocks "suspect" web sites? Someone in the same netblock, but with a different IP address than the server, was caught spamming, and some "clever" anti-virus software thinks the whole IP address range is suspect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeanGibson Ad-Free
16th January 2013, 02:42 AM |#187  
Flag Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Need some help with vold.fstab on JB
I've just been using my Nook as an e-reader for the past year or so however I've recently upgraded my camera and have decided to dedicate my Nook to my camera bag since it can control my DSLR and I can mount SD cards to it with an adapter.

I've updated to Jelly Bean however I'm having trouble with my /etc/vold.fstab file. Previously I modified my Nook's partition table to remove the /emmc (mmc8) partition and increase the /data partition to use the recovered space. Original post is here. Obviously this comes with the side effect of not being able to mount the now non-existent /emmc partition. On Gingerbread ROMs I could easily remedy the issue by simply commenting out the line to mount /emmc in /etc/vold.fstab as follows:

Gingerbread vold.fstab:
Code:
## Vold 2.0 Barns and Nobel Encore

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...> 
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## nookcolor has two fat32 partitions, p1 is boot p8 is internal storage, so we have to specify here
#dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/musb_hdrc
Note the # in front of
Code:
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0
However when I comment out the line for mounting /emmc on Jelly Bean ROMs I end in a boot loop. Going with the stock vold.fstab it boots fine but I get the warning "Damaged SD card" (as expected).

Jelly Bean vold.fstab:
Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## nookcolor has two fat32 partitions, p1 is boot p8 is internal storage, so we have to specify here
#dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 8 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device
Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't work and it there is any way to successfully tell it not to mount /emmc?

Martian21
16th January 2013, 05:01 AM |#188  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 94

Donate to Me
More
Please forgive me for being off topic. I was just wondering what are the requirements to build a cwm-flashable zip that can modify the partitions? I would like to do it on my phone (It's called a Cherry Mobile Flare, a Karbonn A9+ mobile clone). It's just that the /data partition of that said phone is just 512MB, whereas the whole internal memory is 4GB. I'd like to be able to do it. Can you please teach me how?
16th January 2013, 05:21 AM |#189  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by les02jen17

Please forgive me for being off topic. I was just wondering what are the requirements to build a cwm-flashable zip that can modify the partitions? I would like to do it on my phone (It's called a Cherry Mobile Flare, a Karbonn A9+ mobile clone). It's just that the /data partition of that said phone is just 512MB, whereas the whole internal memory is 4GB. I'd like to be able to do it. Can you please teach me how?

You need to be careful using this technique on other phones. The Nook Color uses a dos style partition table (MBR) and many phones use a GPT partition table. So what Dean and I do with the fdisk tool works but may not on another phone. You need to do some research as to how that phone is partitioned. There are tools available to let you partition GPT phones, but takes some knowledge. If you find out, let me know and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my HD+ running CM10 on SD with XDA Premium

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martian21

I've just been using my Nook as an e-reader for the past year or so however I've recently upgraded my camera and have decided to dedicate my Nook to my camera bag since it can control my DSLR and I can mount SD cards to it with an adapter.

I've updated to Jelly Bean however I'm having trouble with my /etc/vold.fstab file. Previously I modified my Nook's partition table to remove the /emmc (mmc8) partition and increase the /data partition to use the recovered space. Original post is here. Obviously this comes with the side effect of not being able to mount the now non-existent /emmc partition. On Gingerbread ROMs I could easily remedy the issue by simply commenting out the line to mount /emmc in /etc/vold.fstab as follows:

However when I comment out the line for mounting /emmc on Jelly Bean ROMs I end in a boot loop. Going with the stock vold.fstab it boots fine but I get the warning "Damaged SD card" (as expected).

Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't work and it there is any way to successfully tell it not to mount /emmc?

Martian21

I have noticed the same thing on my Nook HD+. Emmc media on that device is handled much differently that the Color and I was trying to modify the vold.fstab for CM10 on that. When I commented it out, it bootlooped. And since the HD+ emmc media cannot be mounted with vold when enabled, it gives the damaged SD message. The developer (our verygreen of Nook Color fame) fixed our emmc mounting issue in the initialization code. But commenting out the emmc vold line still produces a bootloop. So I don't know what your solution is. Maybe mount emmc with the same device as sdcard?

Sent from my HD+ running CM10 on SD with XDA Premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
16th January 2013, 05:36 PM |#190  
Thanks Meter: 566

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martian21

Gingerbread vold.fstab:

Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.0/mmc_host/mmc1

#dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device
Note the # in front of
Code:
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 8 /devices/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/mmc_host/mmc0

Jelly Bean vold.fstab:
Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

#dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 8 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## USB storage device

Martian21

Note the use of sdcard in the first two mounts... try copying the first (sdcard1) line... then comment out the original and change the copied line to sdcard0 and see if that don't work... of course you'd have to change the emmc line to sdcard1 or comment it out...

You could also just try switching the sdcard# in both existing lines... then it shouldn't give you an error... just likd sdcard1 don't give an error when sd card is not in... it is trying to populate sdcard1 without sdcard0 being populated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DizzyDen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DizzyDen Ad-Free
17th January 2013, 12:13 AM |#191  
Flag Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Thumbs up It works!
Thanks Leapinlar and DizzyDen! mapping the emmc mount to the SDcard worked perfectly.

For anyone that cares my vold.fstab is now:

Code:

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

## USB storage device
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)