FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Lenovo A660 stock S025_121122 + MOD

127 posts
Thanks Meter: 99

By pudil, Senior Member on 17th January 2013, 08:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hallo,

as a Lenovo A660 owner, I have downloaded and backed up new ROM via CMW + I have made some modification.

Warning: DO NOT DO ANYTHING, UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING
You can easily BRICK your phone, please understand that I keep no warranty on my work.

Note: I am not programer, or highly sophisticated geek. I am just playing with the stuff I have.
NOTE (JULY 2013) - I dont have A660 for more than 4 month. The guide is fully working, but I am unable to help you with a hints as I am unable to test them, please as other users instead me, sorry.

So what can be found here:
1) CMW backup of original Lenovo A660 ROM S025_121122 including all the Chinese rubbish
2) CMW backup of a moded ROM I made. I wanted to slim down it a bit so I:
- removed all the Chinese programs
- added a HOLO launcher instead a Lenovo one
- added support for Google stuff like gmail, playstore
- replaced Lenovo Calendar with a Google one
- removed some waste apps like video player, weather, Lenovo store, Lenovo security, some demo videos
- changed a boot animation
- added MoreLocale to extend a language support.
Overall, the ROM size was shrinked for about 200 Mb
3) flash_tool.zip with SP Flash Tool, flash_tool.zip, and Win7 driver

The FLASH process is a bit tricky, I am working to create a easier process, but I am still newbie.
Please note: If you have some Custom Recovery installed, this will overwrite it. The CMW I work with is temporary and working just to next reboot.

Backup your current ROM before you do anything!

Step by step:
1) download flash_tool.zip including SpFlashTool + Recovery + Driver
2) download zip with ROM you want and unpack it to root of your SD. Full path has to be kept, so correct location is /clockworkmod/backup/20..........
3) turn off your phone
4) run SPFlash Tool, load "Scatter-loading file" MT6577_scatter_emmc_LA50.0.019.01 from directory Recovery_CMW (located in flash_tool.zip)
5) make sure that only "Recovery" part is checked and hit download, confirm executing even through warning "download warning"
6) connect a phone wia cable (phone has to be off). First time you do this, you have to install a driver (also in located in flash_tool.ziip. You can do this either on notification manager, or in hw device manager in control panels.
7) if everything is OK a flashtool will upload CMW and process ends by window with green circle.
8) turn off the phone. turn it on while holding a volume up to start to CMW
9) while in CMW, do the wipe of the memory and cache.
10) choose "restore" in CMW and choose a directory on your card. The process might end with error log, but dont worry.
11) Reboot the phone and hope it will boot up.

After a bootup, the phone is in Chinese and startup guide will start. Skip the first step (low left button) and on next screen switch language to English. Then I reccomend to skip all the other steps and reboot a phone (until you do so, phone remains partialy in chinese). After a reboot, you can change your locale by MoreLocale. Anyway a change of the language will be only partial.

Please dont blame if anything is not working. Either there is some mistake in my guide, or you have done something wrong.
My next try will be a release with fully working rooted CMW. But as I wrote, I am not pro.

Hope this helps.
Anyone who is willing to improve my work is heartily welcomed.
CMW Recovery is from Cybermaus, credit goes to him.

Links:
Flashtool:
http://uloz.to/xXgV8DX/flash-tool-zip

Original A660 ROM S025_121122 (400Mb)
http://uloz.to/xsRiFJu/stock-121122-backup-zip

Moded A660 ROM S025_121122 (200 Mb)
http://uloz.to/xpojnVK/stock-modpu-121122-backup-zip
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pudil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pudil Ad-Free

17th January 2013, 08:39 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
reserved for future use
19th January 2013, 07:34 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi,

Can we use it directly on an already Cybermaus' rom flashed A660 ?

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to volodiaja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift volodiaja Ad-Free
19th January 2013, 07:15 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
volodiaja: i have tried and it should work
24th January 2013, 02:02 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks Pudil !
Your rom is a blast.
2 small weak points :
CMW Recovery is erased and Rom is not rooted.
By the way, no big deal.

One more thing : with french silly accentuated file names ( for songs ), it displays some chinese letter. Any tip on that ?

Many thanks !
25th January 2013, 03:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
thanks to pudil
my lenovo a660 can get a google play and aplication google it works

now this ROM is root with bin4ry v17
and adb.exe i use from superoneclick lastest version

Chinese applications have I delete all, like a lesave, lenovo cloud, sogou, lenovo store

thanks a lot pudil

sorry my english is bad
25th January 2013, 12:01 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
guys - thank you for testing.

1) Permanent root and CMW will be a next step. As I wrote I am a newbie and I will do my best in upcoming days.
2) Chinese letters in Music play is a pain, but I have so far no idea where to change it. As my native Czech Language is having some special characters, I can see this rubbish too, but only in MP3 player. I have spend a lot of time with this, but I have not even a track where to start. I will see if I can do anything, but I dont take it as serial issue.

Please, if you can, do a bit promotion for this MOD, the more testers, the better intputs for my effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to pudil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pudil Ad-Free
25th January 2013, 08:08 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudil

Please, if you can, do a bit promotion for this MOD, the more testers, the better intputs for my effort.

Hi, I just received my A660. Unfortunately, the display has a dead pixel, so I sent it back for repair. Anyway, it came with Etotalk ROM, with original Lenovo Calendar, so after repair, I will be ready for testing.

I am from Prague, so probably will be easier to share our experiences. I am totally newbie in Android world, but hope I will able to help you with testing.
11th February 2013, 09:14 AM |#9  

More
Bluetooth pairing issue
Thanks a lot for your effort!

One more issue that I came accross - I'm unable to pair my bluetooth devices, specifically Sony Ericcsson handsfree is not even visible during initialization procedure. Can anybody confirm?

xkobi
12th February 2013, 07:28 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkobi7

Thanks a lot for your effort!

One more issue that I came accross - I'm unable to pair my bluetooth devices, specifically Sony Ericcsson handsfree is not even visible during initialization procedure. Can anybody confirm?

xkobi

xkobi, I have tested bluetooth with two devices - Creative D200 speakers and handsfree in Citroen C4 Picasso and both working flawlessly. So unfortunatelly I have no idea where problem might be.
12th February 2013, 07:30 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
guys, sorry for not bringing you an updated version with a permanent CMW, but I have some rush time in my work. As I wrote I am not hardcore geek so the work has low priority, hope you understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to pudil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pudil Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)