as a Lenovo A660 owner, I have downloaded and backed up new ROM via CMW + I have made some modification.
Warning: DO NOT DO ANYTHING, UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING
You can easily BRICK your phone, please understand that I keep no warranty on my work.
Note: I am not programer, or highly sophisticated geek. I am just playing with the stuff I have.
NOTE (JULY 2013) - I dont have A660 for more than 4 month. The guide is fully working, but I am unable to help you with a hints as I am unable to test them, please as other users instead me, sorry.
So what can be found here:
1) CMW backup of original Lenovo A660 ROM S025_121122 including all the Chinese rubbish
2) CMW backup of a moded ROM I made. I wanted to slim down it a bit so I:
- removed all the Chinese programs
- added a HOLO launcher instead a Lenovo one
- added support for Google stuff like gmail, playstore
- replaced Lenovo Calendar with a Google one
- removed some waste apps like video player, weather, Lenovo store, Lenovo security, some demo videos
- changed a boot animation
- added MoreLocale to extend a language support.
Overall, the ROM size was shrinked for about 200 Mb
3) flash_tool.zip with SP Flash Tool, flash_tool.zip, and Win7 driver
The FLASH process is a bit tricky, I am working to create a easier process, but I am still newbie.
Please note: If you have some Custom Recovery installed, this will overwrite it. The CMW I work with is temporary and working just to next reboot.
Backup your current ROM before you do anything!
Step by step:
1) download flash_tool.zip including SpFlashTool + Recovery + Driver
2) download zip with ROM you want and unpack it to root of your SD. Full path has to be kept, so correct location is /clockworkmod/backup/20..........
3) turn off your phone
4) run SPFlash Tool, load "Scatter-loading file" MT6577_scatter_emmc_LA50.0.019.01 from directory Recovery_CMW (located in flash_tool.zip)
5) make sure that only "Recovery" part is checked and hit download, confirm executing even through warning "download warning"
6) connect a phone wia cable (phone has to be off). First time you do this, you have to install a driver (also in located in flash_tool.ziip. You can do this either on notification manager, or in hw device manager in control panels.
7) if everything is OK a flashtool will upload CMW and process ends by window with green circle.
8) turn off the phone. turn it on while holding a volume up to start to CMW
9) while in CMW, do the wipe of the memory and cache.
10) choose "restore" in CMW and choose a directory on your card. The process might end with error log, but dont worry.
11) Reboot the phone and hope it will boot up.
After a bootup, the phone is in Chinese and startup guide will start. Skip the first step (low left button) and on next screen switch language to English. Then I reccomend to skip all the other steps and reboot a phone (until you do so, phone remains partialy in chinese). After a reboot, you can change your locale by MoreLocale. Anyway a change of the language will be only partial.
Please dont blame if anything is not working. Either there is some mistake in my guide, or you have done something wrong.
My next try will be a release with fully working rooted CMW. But as I wrote, I am not pro.
Hope this helps.
Anyone who is willing to improve my work is heartily welcomed.
CMW Recovery is from Cybermaus, credit goes to him.
Original A660 ROM S025_121122 (400Mb)
Moded A660 ROM S025_121122 (200 Mb)