[CAB][22-Feb-2010] Smaller HTC Menus

Search This thread

Co0kieMonster

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
Intro:
HTC's menu enhancement is very finger friendly but it also limits the number of items you can see at one time and you have to scroll down to get to the rest, which can be annoying at times.
This modification will make the items smaller so more items can fit (see screenshots).

Thanks to cybermaus for his original work on this here.

Requirements: WVGA device and you must already have large HTCMenus enhancement.
For VGA: mkucuksari made cabs here and etoy has a thread here. Thanks to them both.

UPDATE 28/01/2010
I've updated Small Menus for the latest HTC Menus version. There are no huge changes, but it does include a faster animation ratio and new grey default highlight.
I've also added matching Small Menus for Manila (Sense) - see screenshot below.

UPDATE 08/07/2009
A new version of HTC's Menu Enhancement has shown up in cooked ROMs (specifically I noticed it in Dutty's WM6.5 R4). HTC made a few changes like removing the up/down arrows completely and putting a scrollbar instead. I've updated the modifications for the new version. I haven't made a Medium size for v1.1 because the new version is already that size by default.

You must install the correct modification for your version of HTC Menus.
How to tell which version of HTC Menus you have:
New version 1.1 has a scrollbar instead of up/down arrows and the highlight is a little different. Pretty easy to spot:
HTC Menus 1.0: HTC Menus 1.1:

For HTC Menus 1.0
There are 3 different sizes: Medium, Small and Extra small.
See the screenshot below for size comparison. The original menu size is enough to display 7 items at once. With Medium that's up to 9, Small displays 11 and Extra small 13.
Choose the size that's most comfortable for your fingers. If you're not sure which one to install: I'd recommend Small, as its probably the best fit for most.

Download for HTC Menus 1.0:
Medium
Small
ExtraSmall

For HTC Menus 1.1
There are 2 different sizes: Small and Extra Small.
See the screenshot below for size comparison. The original menu size is enough to display 9 items at once. With Small that's up to 12 and Extra Small displays 14.

Download for HTC Menus 1.1:
Small
ExtraSmall

For HTC Menus 1.1.Updated
There are 2 different sizes: Small and Extra Small.

Download for HTC Menus 1.1.Updated:
Small
ExtraSmall

For Manila Menus
The size can be adjusted from registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila\Menus.Height
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HTC\Manila\Menus.FontSize

- Default small height is 60, and default small font is 22.

Download for Manila Menus:
for Manila 2.1
for Manila 2.5
for Manila 2.5.20xx
for Manila 2.5 VGA

===================

Attachments

• HTCMenusSmall.cab
    634.3 KB · Views: 3,974
  • HTCMenus1.1_Small.cab
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,013
  • HTCMenus1.1_ExtraSmall.cab
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Manila2.1.Menus_Small.cab
    27.1 KB · Views: 454
  • Manila2.5.Menus_Small.cab
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,248
  • HTCMenus1.1.Updated_Small.cab
    82 KB · Views: 1,614
  • HTCMenus1.1.Updated_ExtraSmall.cab
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,151
Last edited:

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
Is it possible to change green selection color to any other?

Yes. I can make a different colored skin. Just name the color (would be good if you can provide the exact color hex value).

Also, if anyone wants to make a custom skin for the menus the bitmaps are "HTCMenus.bmp" and "HTCMenus_mask.bmp" located in \Windows. I attached them below for convenience.

Attachments

• default_bmp.zip
    67 KB · Views: 164

Svegetto

Sep 17, 2008
hey Co0kieMonster,
this is excellent, great work!
Question (request really), anyway you could make another one of these that's a median between the this one and the stock one (aka, slightly bigger than the one you made, but smaller than the original). I agree that stock is too big, but I'm 6'4" (2m) so I have big hands/fingers and yours is just a tad small for me. Totally understand if you can't or don't feel like.
Thanks!

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
Svegetto, see if this one is a better fit.
9 items are displayed at once so it's right between the original large menus (7 items) and the small menus (11 items).

Two more sizes are also possible: with 8 or 10 items, so I can tweak it a bit more in case this one's too small or large.

Attachments

• HTCMenusMedium.cab
    634.3 KB · Views: 1,311

Svegetto

Sep 17, 2008
Svegetto, see if this one is a better fit.
9 items are displayed at once so it's right between the original large menus (7 items) and the small menus (11 items).

Two more sizes are also possible: with 8 or 10 items, so I can tweak it a bit more in case this one's too small or large.

This is perfect. Much thanks!!

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Hi Co0kieMonster,

i'm totally happy with this mod, makes my life alot easier .... but ;)
my fingers could easily use an even smaller size ... would it be possible to have 13 items?
making it user-adjustable would of course rock too :D