[How to] disable OTA firmware update notification

Search This thread

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
Either should work. Rename otacerts or change the line in build.prop.
My luck though dictates that the easy way, renaming, wouldn't work, and sure enough it didn't, even after rebooting and ensuring that it was renamed.

I also deleted the image file that had previously downloaded to /cache, so it's not because of that.

Here's what my key line says in build.prop:
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/takju/maguro:4.1.2/JZO54K/485486:user/release-keys

This is what I think it should be after some looking around, though can you confirm please:
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/takju/maguro:4.2.1/JOP40D/533553:user/release-keys

And is anything beyond that needed, like booting into recovery and deleting cache?

Thanks

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Push attached fotakill.apk to system and apply 644 permissions. I've been on Takju 4.1.2 for a month now and no notifications. The otacerts.zip didn't work for me and build.prop changing is ****ed up.

Attachments

• FOTAKill_1.0_(xda).apk
    22.5 KB · Views: 262

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
My luck though dictates that the easy way, renaming, wouldn't work, and sure enough it didn't, even after rebooting and ensuring that it was renamed.

I also deleted the image file that had previously downloaded to /cache, so it's not because of that.

Here's what my key line says in build.prop:
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/takju/maguro:4.1.2/JZO54K/485486:user/release-keys

This is what I think it should be after some looking around, though can you confirm please:
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=google/takju/maguro:4.2.1/JOP40D/533553:user/release-keys

And is anything beyond that needed, like booting into recovery and deleting cache?

Thanks
Sure, you can wipe the cache. Prob not needed, but doesn't hurt.

rseiler

Jun 24, 2012
Push attached fotakill.apk to system and apply 644 permissions. I've been on Takju 4.1.2 for a month now and no notifications. The otacerts.zip didn't work for me and build.prop changing is ****ed up.
In what way?

Did you mean/system/app? When I was reading about fotakill.apk, everyone mentions that dir.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is what happens once you DO want an update, but I assume just removing fotakill.apk and rebooting would do the trick.

And finally, I see that efrant posted a version here that's a lot smaller. I'm curious if it matters which one to use, since I've seen other sizes for the file in other posts as well (e.g. I saw the 22.5KB one in an E4GT forum).

Thanks everyone

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
In what way?

Did you mean/system/app? When I was reading about fotakill.apk, everyone mentions that dir.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is what happens once you DO want an update, but I assume just removing fotakill.apk and rebooting would do the trick.

And finally, I see that efrant posted a version here that's a lot smaller. I'm curious if it matters which one to use, since I've seen other sizes for the file in other posts as well (e.g. I saw the 22.5KB one in an E4GT forum).

Thanks everyone
To be honest, I have never used FOTAkill, and I have no idea what the differences are between the two files. I think the one I posted back in April no longer works on newer builds, but it won't hurt to try them both, if you don't want to edit the build.prop

madd0g

May 8, 2010
In what way?

Thanks everyone

Yes, /system/app. Probably you can remove the .apk when you want an update, but since Google pushes them randomly and not quite often in the first days, you'll get the OTA .zip sooner on XDA anyway.

Regarding the file size, I have no idea, but I guarantee you, that the version I uploaded works on my GN running takju 4.1.2. Here's the original post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34274623&postcount=1

I remember seeing 1 notification when I booted into the system, cleared it and that was it.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
What is the ro.build.fingerprint for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, for 4.2.2? I want to stay on the stock rooted 4.1.1 rom for the time being, and am being hassled with the system update notification.

Do I just need to change the version number, or do I need to change the line to reflect JDQ39, and the release key number as well?

madd0g

May 8, 2010
What is the ro.build.fingerprint for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, for 4.2.2? I want to stay on the stock rooted 4.1.1 rom for the time being, and am being hassled with the system update notification.

Do I just need to change the version number, or do I need to change the line to reflect JDQ39, and the release key number as well?

Use the fotakill app, rest is hit or miss.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

XNemia

Mar 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

change the permission to 644, do mean like here in the atachment pic ?
2013-08-03195652_zps741878b8.png

Because I tried this and it is nor working !!
Any ideas?

Oct 31, 2013
I just went into Settings / Apps / Google Services Framework and unselected Show Notifications. This took the notification out of the Notification Bar.

Reactions: LINXC88

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few people have been asking lately;

Use root explorer and go to system>etc>security and rename the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Probably reboot phone for good measure.

That should be it.
    Odd. Check that file again, did it stay renamed (.bak) after the reboot? Maybe root explorer doesn't have su rights.

double checked. the file stayed .bak after reboot.

root explorer has root access and the folder needed R/W access, which it has for the renaming.
    I changed 5 strings in build.prop file:

Code:
    ro.build.id=IMM76D
    ro.build.version.incremental=299849
    ro.build.version.release=4.0.4
    ro.build.description=yakju-user 4.0.4 IMM76D 299849 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=google/yakju/maguro:4.0.4/IMM76D/299849:user/release-keys

now it seems to work fine for me. will be testing for more...
    I'm on Takju 4.1.2 (rooted) and want to stay there for a while. Which of the above methods is best to avoid 4.2.1?

Either should work. Rename otacerts or change the line in build.prop.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2