[TUT]How to Create Partition in SDcard/MicroSD for Windows user

Search This thread

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
hello guys,
i wanna share to you guys how to make a partition in external sdcard/MicroSD for Windows user. Dunno if this already post in XDA, didn't do a research
just to remind, do this with your own risk!

now, what we need :
1. PC/Laptop
2. microsd/sdcard with capacity 2gb/4gb/8gb/16gb/32gb
3. microsd adapter or card reader.
4. Minitool Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
there's another tool called gparted but this tut only use Minitool Partition
5. a ciggy and a cup of coffee :)

before we go through, don't do this while you're drunk, so sleepy or in hurry..:)

now, i assume that the minitool partition already installed on your pc/laptop and the sdcard is empty.
let's begin....
1. put your sdcard into adapter or card reader
2. open the minitool partition wizard software.(pic 1)
3. right click in sdcard (pic 2--i use 8Gb) and click delete. after that your sdcard will look like pic 2-1 as "unallocated" (becareful to choose the drive!!)
4. right click and click create (pic 3)
5. in create new partition choose "primary" (dont use logical) and change the "file system" to "Fat32".(pic 4 & pic 4-1)
6. in partition size you change to what you need. if you want to swap 1gb then change the "partition size" make your "unallocated space after" to 1024mb(pic 4-2).
(i dunno exactly the space that fit with but i use 1gb, if you dont know either you can ask to our dev or mr. pep) after that click ok
7. now you can see the 1gb seen as unallocated(pic 4-3)
8. right click and click create again at the unallocated(1gb) will be a warning that "the new created partition cannot b used in windows" click "yes" (pic 5)
9. now change the "logical" to "primary" (if you choose logical then your phone will probably got a black screen or black screen with battery icon+lock icon after you flash a new cusrom) (pic 6)
10. Change the NTFS to ext2/ext3/ext4 (if you want to install link2sd/s2e from market you can choose ext2 and/or ext4, for me i choose ext4 because i use s2e) and click ok. (pic 6-1)
now there are 3 operations pending in the left side (pic 6-2)
11. click "apply" and "yes". (pic 6-3)
12. now take your ciggy and drink your coffee and wait 1-2 minute untill the successfull pop up then click ok(pic 6-4). close minitool program.

- this ext* will not shown on windows, only on linux base OS.(you can see it on Windows by using some software, i.e : linux reader or raise data recovery, etc)
- use sdcard adapter/card reader
- if you wanna move your app just use link2sd or s2e free on market.
- in this tut i use ext4 just for example to you guys if you choose s2e, but it is not a must for you to choose ext4,.for faster read/write sd choose ext2(see post 2 by pep)

this is just a tutorial for those who dont know and dont understand how to make partition/swap and for those who dont want to swap the phone's internal<-->external. do this before go to Pristine Method
swap thing is too risky for class4 microsd,

credits to :
- minitool partition wizard (useful tools)
- mr. pep (this guide related to Pristine Method:) ) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044861
- all Wonders
- XDA

if this help just click the Thanks button if there's something i forgot to write or i'm wrong please correct me..;)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 11,647
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 10,973
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 9,430
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 13,026
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 9,176
  • 4-1.jpg
    4-1.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 8,863
  • 4-2.jpg
    4-2.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 8,802
  • 4-3.jpg
    4-3.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 8,333
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 7,741
  • 6-2.jpg
    6-2.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 7,400
  • 6-1.jpg
    6-1.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 7,239
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 7,547
  • 6-3.jpg
    6-3.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 7,346
  • 6-4.jpg
    6-4.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 7,370
Last edited:

pepoluan

Jul 31, 2012
Jakarta
Great tutorial!

If I may, I'd like to add some tips:
  • When making the very first partition (from an empty-card condition), make sure:
    • It's Aligned to MB instead of Cylinder
    • There's a 1 MB 'gap' in front of the partition
  • Also, make sure that all partitions' sizes (in sectors) are divisible by 256 (or, in other words, the partition size is a multiple of 128 KiB).
    The reason for this is that some SD cards allocate their storage capacity in 'blocks', and the largest known block size is 128 KiB (128 * 1024 bytes). 256 sectors = 128 KiB. By ensuring that all partitions' sizes are divisible by 256, you are ensuring that no block is split between two partitions, thus keeping performance high (as the SD card no longer need to read a block and perform a seek just to find the beginning of a partition), and help lengthening the life of your SD card.
    (Other SD cards might have smaller block sizes, but all a binary fraction of 128 KiB, i.e., 64 KiB or 32 KiB or 16 KiB or 8 KiB or 4 KiB. Thus, if partitions are multiples of 128 KiB, they are certainly multiples of the smaller block sizes.)

To ensure that partitions are divisible by 256, just before you click on the "Apply" button, do the following for each partition created:
  1. Right-click on the partition
  2. Choose Properties (the bottom option)
  3. Click on "Partition Info" tab
  4. The size of partition (in sectors) is "Last Physical Sector" - "First Physical Sector" + 1

For example, in my case (see the attached image), the "Last Physical Sector" is 29003775, while the "First Physical Sector" is 2048. Thus, the size of the partition is 29003775 - 2048 + 1 = 29001728. Divide 29001728 by 256 and you have the nice integer value of 113288, meaning that the partition is an exact multiple of 128 KiB.

As for the filesystem type for the second partition, I myself prefer ext2 because I reasoned:
  • This is an SD Card; employing journaling (implemented by ext3 / ext4) will result in too much writing -- shortening SD Card life
  • Writes are (nearly) instantaneous anyways; journaling are helpful if writes take some time to finish (e.g., writing to a spinning disk, which needs the track-seek and sector-seek plus track-shift plus ECC generation)
  • The only way a write to SD Card can get interrupted is if power was removed immediately. Aside from dropping your phone and inadvertently ejecting the battery (in which case, SD Card corruption should be the least of your concern), smartphones can't suddenly lose power. When power gets too low, Android performs an orderly shutdown ensuring that all buffers are flushed
  • ext2 code in the kernel is simple, making reads & writes faster, and less intrusive to foreground apps (no need to generate/manipulate a checksummed journal)

--- Posted from Opera on Lenovo T420 ---

Attachments

• Example_Partition_Size.png
    Example_Partition_Size.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,316
Last edited:

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
thank you bro for rhe additional tips..i forget bout that..:) that'very useful for us.

yes, ext2 is better to choose..:)
i use ext4 because i install s2e not link2sd..and sometimes ext2 cannot be read by s2e but it's not a must for everbody to use ext4..:)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pepoluan

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
What are the advantages to making portion

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda app-developers app

- no need to swap..do this and install app link2sd or s2e free on market..
- make your microsd card read/write better..
- can hide anything in the partition;)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda premium

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
I have partition my external_sd with format "ext4".,
it's work but when I reboot my SGW i got hardbrick :D

sent from nokia 3310

did you swap your internal sd-external sd after partition to ext4 and using the app(i.e link2sd or s2e)?
what apps that you use to swap?link2sd or s2e?what app tools (beside those two app) that you use?

it wont get hardbrick if you follow the tut carefully,,
i do this with my 4 microsdcards, 2microsd with size 8gb, 1microsd with size 4gb and 1microsd with size 16gb and all of it just class4.
i use this method since 2011.
this tut will not hardbrick your phone.

eza azami

Jan 5, 2012
North Lombok
did you swap your internal sd-external sd after partition to ext4 and using the app(i.e link2sd or s2e)?
what apps that you use to swap?link2sd or s2e?what app tools (beside those two app) that you use?

it wont get hardbrick if you follow the tut carefully,,
i do this with my 4 microsdcards, 2microsd with size 8gb, 1microsd with size 4gb and 1microsd with size 16gb and all of it just class4.
i use this method since 2011.
this tut will not hardbrick your phone.

I using s2e, but maybe I forget some step. :D

last month I try it again and succesful.. :p

sent from nokia 3310

sandroidnz01

Oct 6, 2012
Penang
Hi stpdkid.

Okay,I've got a 32gb class 10 SD card.
I tried doing the partition last night.
It the SD card which I had been using on my Xperia Arc for nearly a year so you can imagine the amount of garbage on it.
Copied everything to my PC and went ahead with the partition.
First partition Primary/ Fat32/9gb
Second partition also named as Primary/Ext2/21gb.
Done.
Copied my files back onto the sdcard and inserted it back into my device which only recognized the 9gb.
Used link2sd and it reads only the first partition of the sdcard.
I think I did everything correctly.But why is it that I'm missing the 21gb?
Should I have named it as NTFS/Ext2/21gb?

Sent from my Xperia Arc using xda app-developers app

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
Hi stpdkid.

Okay,I've got a 32gb class 10 SD card.
I tried doing the partition last night.
It the SD card which I had been using on my Xperia Arc for nearly a year so you can imagine the amount of garbage on it.
Copied everything to my PC and went ahead with the partition.
First partition Primary/ Fat32/9gb
Second partition also named as Primary/Ext2/21gb.
Done.
Copied my files back onto the sdcard and inserted it back into my device which only recognized the 9gb.
Used link2sd and it reads only the first partition of the sdcard.
I think I did everything correctly.But why is it that I'm missing the 21gb?
Should I have named it as NTFS/Ext2/21gb?

you're missing the 21gb because you use it as ext2..change it as fat32 and the 9gb as ext2..
Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda premium

Reactions: sandroidnz01

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
So to do this just run the partition wizard and edit the partitions?
And setting both to Primary is not a problem?

backup first and follow the step on first post.
big size partition as fat32(primary) and for ext2(primary) the small size partition..

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda

sandroidnz01

Oct 6, 2012
Penang
Done.
But there's still something which is not right.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360983190459.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360983190459.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 518
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360983224824.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360983224824.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 448

sandroidnz01

Oct 6, 2012
Penang
I'm sure I did not create one partition for cache.Yet its there.
Moreover,the cache has been building up progressively and I had been unable to clear it with link2sd.Neither via CWM Recovery.

Sent from my Xperia Arc S using xda app-developers app

stpdkid

Dec 13, 2011
I'm sure I did not create one partition for cache.Yet its there.
Moreover,the cache has been building up progressively and I had been unable to clear it with link2sd.Neither via CWM Recovery.

Sent from my Xperia Arc S using xda app-developers app

its ok. just a cache from your app..

Reactions: sandroidnz01

Nikhil Pathak

Feb 21, 2013
Can i do Partition Using USB Cord

hey bro .. is it necessary to do partition using card reader... can i continue with USB cord... ???

replzz

pepoluan

Jul 31, 2012
Jakarta
hey bro .. is it necessary to do partition using card reader... can i continue with USB cord... ???

replzz

You mean, using your phone as an SD Card reader?

You can't. Your phone exposes the first partition to the PC. The PC doesn't have access to the all-important partition table.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello guys,
    i wanna share to you guys how to make a partition in external sdcard/MicroSD for Windows user. Dunno if this already post in XDA, didn't do a research
    just to remind, do this with your own risk!

now, what we need :
    1. PC/Laptop
    2. microsd/sdcard with capacity 2gb/4gb/8gb/16gb/32gb
    3. microsd adapter or card reader.
    4. Minitool Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    there's another tool called gparted but this tut only use Minitool Partition
    5. a ciggy and a cup of coffee :)

before we go through, don't do this while you're drunk, so sleepy or in hurry..:)

now, i assume that the minitool partition already installed on your pc/laptop and the sdcard is empty.
    let's begin....
    1. put your sdcard into adapter or card reader
    2. open the minitool partition wizard software.(pic 1)
    3. right click in sdcard (pic 2--i use 8Gb) and click delete. after that your sdcard will look like pic 2-1 as "unallocated" (becareful to choose the drive!!)
    4. right click and click create (pic 3)
    5. in create new partition choose "primary" (dont use logical) and change the "file system" to "Fat32".(pic 4 & pic 4-1)
    6. in partition size you change to what you need. if you want to swap 1gb then change the "partition size" make your "unallocated space after" to 1024mb(pic 4-2).
    (i dunno exactly the space that fit with but i use 1gb, if you dont know either you can ask to our dev or mr. pep) after that click ok
    7. now you can see the 1gb seen as unallocated(pic 4-3)
    8. right click and click create again at the unallocated(1gb) will be a warning that "the new created partition cannot b used in windows" click "yes" (pic 5)
    9. now change the "logical" to "primary" (if you choose logical then your phone will probably got a black screen or black screen with battery icon+lock icon after you flash a new cusrom) (pic 6)
    10. Change the NTFS to ext2/ext3/ext4 (if you want to install link2sd/s2e from market you can choose ext2 and/or ext4, for me i choose ext4 because i use s2e) and click ok. (pic 6-1)
    now there are 3 operations pending in the left side (pic 6-2)
    11. click "apply" and "yes". (pic 6-3)
    12. now take your ciggy and drink your coffee and wait 1-2 minute untill the successfull pop up then click ok(pic 6-4). close minitool program.

- this ext* will not shown on windows, only on linux base OS.(you can see it on Windows by using some software, i.e : linux reader or raise data recovery, etc)
    - use sdcard adapter/card reader
    - if you wanna move your app just use link2sd or s2e free on market.
    - in this tut i use ext4 just for example to you guys if you choose s2e, but it is not a must for you to choose ext4,.for faster read/write sd choose ext2(see post 2 by pep)

this is just a tutorial for those who dont know and dont understand how to make partition/swap and for those who dont want to swap the phone's internal<-->external. do this before go to Pristine Method
    swap thing is too risky for class4 microsd,

credits to :
    - minitool partition wizard (useful tools)
    - mr. pep (this guide related to Pristine Method:) ) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044861
    - all Wonders
    - XDA

if this help just click the Thanks button if there's something i forgot to write or i'm wrong please correct me..;)
    Great tutorial!

If I may, I'd like to add some tips:
    • When making the very first partition (from an empty-card condition), make sure:
      • It's Aligned to MB instead of Cylinder
      • There's a 1 MB 'gap' in front of the partition
    • Also, make sure that all partitions' sizes (in sectors) are divisible by 256 (or, in other words, the partition size is a multiple of 128 KiB).
      The reason for this is that some SD cards allocate their storage capacity in 'blocks', and the largest known block size is 128 KiB (128 * 1024 bytes). 256 sectors = 128 KiB. By ensuring that all partitions' sizes are divisible by 256, you are ensuring that no block is split between two partitions, thus keeping performance high (as the SD card no longer need to read a block and perform a seek just to find the beginning of a partition), and help lengthening the life of your SD card.
      (Other SD cards might have smaller block sizes, but all a binary fraction of 128 KiB, i.e., 64 KiB or 32 KiB or 16 KiB or 8 KiB or 4 KiB. Thus, if partitions are multiples of 128 KiB, they are certainly multiples of the smaller block sizes.)

To ensure that partitions are divisible by 256, just before you click on the "Apply" button, do the following for each partition created:
    1. Right-click on the partition
    2. Choose Properties (the bottom option)
    3. Click on "Partition Info" tab
    4. The size of partition (in sectors) is "Last Physical Sector" - "First Physical Sector" + 1

For example, in my case (see the attached image), the "Last Physical Sector" is 29003775, while the "First Physical Sector" is 2048. Thus, the size of the partition is 29003775 - 2048 + 1 = 29001728. Divide 29001728 by 256 and you have the nice integer value of 113288, meaning that the partition is an exact multiple of 128 KiB.

As for the filesystem type for the second partition, I myself prefer ext2 because I reasoned:
    • This is an SD Card; employing journaling (implemented by ext3 / ext4) will result in too much writing -- shortening SD Card life
    • Writes are (nearly) instantaneous anyways; journaling are helpful if writes take some time to finish (e.g., writing to a spinning disk, which needs the track-seek and sector-seek plus track-shift plus ECC generation)
    • The only way a write to SD Card can get interrupted is if power was removed immediately. Aside from dropping your phone and inadvertently ejecting the battery (in which case, SD Card corruption should be the least of your concern), smartphones can't suddenly lose power. When power gets too low, Android performs an orderly shutdown ensuring that all buffers are flushed
    • ext2 code in the kernel is simple, making reads & writes faster, and less intrusive to foreground apps (no need to generate/manipulate a checksummed journal)

--- Posted from Opera on Lenovo T420 ---
    Hi stpdkid! (Somehow, that just seems "wrong" to call you that...when you're CLEARLY not!)

I'm still confused. When do I change it? Are you saying that in Step 3, I should limit the very 1st (primary) partition to 1 MB (in trying to follow pepoluan's tips to do so)? If so, what about the last field that relates to something about, "leave X MB" [I]AFTER[/I]..... Sorry, I don't have the other computer turned-on with the mini-partition program running, so I can't confirm the exact wording of that last field on the Create page.

I guess I don't understand why (or where else to make this happen) I need a "1MB "gap"before..." (pepoluan wrote: "make sure you leave a 1MB "gap" BEFORE...." Perhaps I'm confusing "gap" with "partition size"??? Woe is me...being a noob totally sucks! :eek:

When you create a partition with MiniTool, you can specify a space "Before" the partition (in fact there are three fields: Before, Size, and After).

But for some reasons, one can't change the Before number if the Size is set too large (by default, it is set to the size of the MicroSD); one has to reduce the Size by 1 MB *then* set the Before number to 1 MB.

It is not possible to create a 1 MB partition.

As to "why": Flash memory writes in units of "sectors" (512 bytes), but erases in units of "blocks" (N sectors). The FAT32 filesystem addresses a storage in units of "clusters", usually 8 or 16 sectors per cluster.

It might happen that a cluster "straddles" a block, e.g., it's first four sectors are stored in block 23, but the last four sectors are stored in block 24. If this happens, write- access to that cluster will be *extremely* slow, because the flash memory will have to perform two "read-modify-write" cycles, one for each block.

The "gap" is used to "align" the partition so that clusters won't straddle block boundaries.

According to my research, the largest block size is 1 MB (2048 sectors).

If we specify a gap in front of the very first partition created in MiniTool, MiniTool is smart enough to understand that we want to align the partition, so it will invisibly try to ensure the beginning of the partition to be block-aligned. Plus, it will wisely 'hide' the gap in its drive map.

-- sent from Samsung GT-I8150 running CM10 --
    thank you bro for rhe additional tips..i forget bout that..:) that'very useful for us.

yes, ext2 is better to choose..:)
    i use ext4 because i install s2e not link2sd..and sometimes ext2 cannot be read by s2e but it's not a must for everbody to use ext4..:)

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi, you seem to be very knowledgeable regarding the flash storage, can you help me with this one pls? I've seen a lot of posts regarding SD-ext partition and they all advised that this ext partition better not go beyond 1024 Mb for SD cards 4GB or larger. Why is that? Most of the posts were back in 2012 though, is it still the same? Say if I have a 32Gb card to put into a more recent phone such as GS3 (so the apps takes a lot more space with better graphics etc compared to earlier android version), is the 1gb ext partition gonna be enough? Thanks.

And also, when doing it in my GS3, looks like the ext2 is not supported or recognized by either link2SD or mount2SD, changed it to ext4 worked fine.

Hey,

i used this method last summer too and setup a ext2 partition on my class 10, 32GB ext sdcard. The ext2 i still working within link2sd on CM11 (but not updated to last release yet). I created it with a size of 1,94 GB and actually linked 32 apps with a total amount of 791MB, so there are still 1,16GB left.

Remember that link2sd i only able to link the apk, dex & lib files of an app (i guess this is right), so in addition i recommend to use foldermount too (as i did) to push the obb and data files to the extsd too. For some games these files are using the most space, for example the data folder from real racing 3 is bigger than 1 GB!

I don't know why ext2 does not work for you, maybe something went wrong?

About the size recommendations, i've read them too and as far as i remember it was just because you likely will never need some more? But im not sure.

One tip: Be careful with or just do not link system or root or apps with a widget on your home screen, which has to be loaded on boot.

cheers