[FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly

Search This thread

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
Ah okay then just replace the zimage in the rom with the one from the kernel as well as the libs/modules or u will lose WiFi etc & Flash...
---_----------_------------

I do apologize I've personally never seen a rom come with a zimage before I've always seen it come already as a boot.img. so I apologize to the previous member I ranted about.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I cant find any libs/modules in the kernel zip. There is only the zimage and gipo-keys.kl in system/usr/keylayout (and of course META-INF, but I think that isn't important).

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL
Ah okay then just replace the zimage in the rom with the one from the kernel as well as the libs/modules or u will lose WiFi etc & Flash...

I do apologize I've personally never seen a rom come with a zimage before I've always seen it come already as a boot.img. so I apologize to the previous member I ranted about.

he is looking at a samsung rom touch wiz and it uses zimage not the boot image like aosp roms do and you dont have to flash any other modules like wifi or lib files they are in the rom. the zimage is the kernel so just switching thoughs will work

so zimage from kernel zip file put in to rom.zip will do what he wants

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I cant find any libs/modules in the kernel zip. There is only the zimage and gipo-keys.kl in system/usr/keylayout (and of course META-INF, but I think that isn't important).

just swap zimage thats all and META-INF is used for the flashing process just leave it alone

Reactions: mani1999

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
AW: [FAQ] HELP THREAD - Noob Friendly

he is looking at a samsung rom touch wiz and it uses zimage not the boot image like aosp roms do and you dont have to flash any other modules like wifi or lib files they are in the rom. the zimage is the kernel so just switching thoughs will work

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

just swap zimage thats all and META-INF is used for the flashing process just leave it alone

One more thing I am not yet clear about:

Do I have to copy the zimage from the kernel zip or from the extracted kernel and do I have place it in the working folder of the rom or in the rom zip (or does it not matter)?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL

Do I have to copy the zimage from the kernel zip or from the extracted kernel and do I have place it in the working folder of the rom or in the rom zip (or does it not matter)?

the easy way for would be to double click your kernel zip folder then double click your rom folder have them side by side and drag zimage from kernel zip in to rom zip and drop it when finished just close rom zip and flash now as for working folder im assuming your useing a kitchen whitch i would think it has a spot for kernel so if there is a spot with zimage i would say you shoild be able to change it there as well

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
so do I now have to copy it to the working folder (i'm using dsixda kitchen) or do I have to copy it to the flashable zip of the rom?
and does it matter if I copy it before or after adding root permissions and busybox?

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
just copy it to the flashable zip

So I guess I can copy it after adding root permissions and busybox (corect me if I am wrong)....

Two more questions:

1. Do I still have to add CWM or is it included in zimage?

2. My rom is about 850Mb large. I've seen other XWLS8 roms and they are 400-550Mb large.
So are there any tricks to reduce the size of my rom?

I think those are all questions for now;)

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL
So I guess I can copy it after adding root permissions and busybox (corect me if I am wrong)....

Two more questions:

1. Do I still have to add CWM or is it included in zimage?

2. My rom is about 850Mb large. I've seen other XWLS8 roms and they are 400-550Mb large.
So are there any tricks to reduce the size of my rom?

I think those are all questions for now;)

yes after

yes cwm is in zimage

if you want smaller rom you can remove the apks not needed or the ones you do not need/use wallpapers,samsung apps ect. that is what most do for smaller rom sizes you can remove any app aslong as it is not needed to run the rom

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012
I indeed found two more questions;):

1. What's the difference between system/app and preload/symlink/system/app?

2. I've noticed that all other roms have a somewhere a file called "flash_image" but I can't find that file in my rom. So what is that file for and do I need it?

ttibbetts83

Aug 5, 2010
jacksonville,FL
I indeed found two more questions;):

1. What's the difference between system/app and preload/symlink/system/app?

2. I've noticed that all other roms have a somewhere a file called "flash_image" but I can't find that file in my rom. So what is that file for and do I need it?

answers

1.check this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2030594

2.i think flash_image is the reocovery like cwm from what i seen on google you can probably just use one from another rom though

ss429842

Oct 1, 2012
patna
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADD "RAM SWAP" SUPPORT TO MY KERNEL....IF IT IS POSSIBLE PLEASE GUIDE ME

Send from ROOTED MMX A52
<a href="https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2769094/">best file sharing site</a>

Reactions: bad bone

jeevan93

Dec 11, 2012
bangalore
i think its not possible as mmx doez not relese its kernal sources

sent from
micromax A100
Running:killerdroid v1 rom

ss429842

Oct 1, 2012
patna
but is it possible if i have kernel sources.......

Send from ROOTED MMX A52
<a href="https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2769094/">best file sharing site</a>

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012

Hi,
How do I move the system apps to preload in the zip file of my rom? What do I have to change in META-INF and is anything else to do that it works? I use dsixda kitchen....that might make it easyer....

jeevan93

Dec 11, 2012
bangalore
nothing is impossible in computer world. .it just takes time
it is possible. .only if u get a proper kernal sources and not raw kernal source. . .if u get also u have to try some custom kernal or custom rom

sent from
micromax A100
Running:killerdroid v1 rom

Reactions: ss429842

mani1999

Dec 2, 2012

Hi,
How do I move the system apps to preload in the zip file of my rom? What do I have to change in META-INF and is anything else to do that it works? I use dsixda kitchen....that might make it easyer....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Under Construction - Still open for business :)

Now I know all the required information regarding the Rom Making is there is already available on XDA . However it is not all in one place, Unfortunately people are terrified of the 'Search' Bar, So my aim is to create a One-Stop place for all newbies (and pro's :p)

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE -ADB, ROMs, Drivers,Recovery, Download, ROM Making, Kernel Making ....ECT.... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

I've made this thread as a help thread. For all people new to the Android Rom Making And All

Treat this place as a chat room. DO NOT INSULT NOOBS,THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!!

I Will try my best to answer all questions, Or point you in the right direction, This is not my thread, it is OUR thread, So feel free to contribute, ask and answer as many questions as you like :)

Hopefully this will stop unwanted and un-needed posts spamming the XDA-U Forums

The top Contributors to this thread will receive a special banner to show off how helpful you are.......... SO GET HELPING !!!!

Real Time IRC Chat
    I also have a question:

How do I include a kernel into the zip of a rom so that when I flash the rom the kernel also gets flashed at the same time.
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 with XXLSJ.
    Thanks in advanced....

if you open the .zip file for your rom it should have a zimage file that is the kernel so if you want to swap just download a flashable zip of the kernel you want open it and there should be zimage, now put that zimage with the rom you want. you can do this with 7zip just double click to open dont extract the rom zip you can extract the kernel from the the kernel .zip and drag the zimage for th ekernel you want to the opened rom.zip then close and flash
    if you open the .zip file for your rom it should have a zimage file that is the kernel so if you want to swap just download a flashable zip of the kernel you want open it and there should be zimage, now put that zimage with the rom you want. you can do this with 7zip just double click to open dont extract the rom zip you can extract the kernel from the the kernel .zip and drag the zimage for th ekernel you want to the opened rom.zip then close and flash

This is why people brick their devices when people that has no idea what their talking about give advice! First of all the kernel in a ROM comes as a boot.img and second you can't just switch out the zimage when their is more than the zimage for it to probably work. You need the modules as well... I would recommend you not give advice unless u either know 100% of what your talking about or don't give advice in these specific forums where noobs lurk and don't know good advice from bad....

Now to answer your question...

You have 2 options if your kernel comes as a boot.img just replace it with the one from the ROM and replace lib/modules from the kernel to the rom, and flash away...

The second option is if your kernel comes in a zimage and the ROM comes as a boot.img then you will have to unpack the boot.img from the rom and then replace the zimage and pack the boot.img but to do that you will need to be in Linux or VirtualBox... This can't be done thru windows, but recently there have been programs that can unpack the boot.img thru windows but I always use Linux.

So post how your kernel comes in either a boot.img or zimage and how the room has its kernel we can help u more after that.

the easy way for would be to double click your kernel zip folder then double click your rom folder have them side by side and drag zimage from kernel zip in to rom zip and drop it when finished just close rom zip and flash now as for working folder im assuming your useing a kitchen whitch i would think it has a spot for kernel so if there is a spot with zimage i would say you shoild be able to change it there as well