[NFC UPDATE] [App] Fast File Transfer - The WiFi Direct For The Rest Of Us

Search This thread

FD_

Oct 16, 2012
Fast File Transfer is a free Android app that uses WiFi tethering for file transfers between two devices.
This technology allows for speeds of more than 32 Mbit/s, which means e.g. 1 Gigabyte in under 5 minutes.

NEW VERSION 2.0 12/12/2014
I'm proud to announce the release of Version 2.0, a complete rewrite with tons of new features.
I've opened a new thread specifically dealing with the new version here.

NEW VERSION 1.2 03/02/2013
Finally, the app allows pairing via NFC and more:
  • NFC (Beta)
    NFC can now be used for connecting to the WiFi and opening FFT'S web address
    You will have to install an app like WiFiTap on the receipient's device for connecting to the WiFi via NFC.
    Please note that WiFiTap only connects to a WiFi that not already known.
    NFC pairing is in BETA state currently. Send me an email if you experience problems.
  • New notifications that display progress, file size, current transfer speed and estimated transfer time
  • Hints for QR code and NFC
  • Added support for Android 2.2 (Tested on ZTE Blade)
  • Now continues sending when device's screen is turned off or the app is closed to background
  • Loads of bug fixes:
    • Error message on devices where the app could not get an IP
    • Multiple files should now work
    • Should now correctly restore WiFi Tethering
    • Menu works for devices without HW menu button
    • Progress correctly shown for files bigger than 4GB

Features:

• Up to 20x speed of bluetooth :cool:
  • The receiver is device-independent
  • No need for a common Wi-Fi connection
  • No data usage for file transfers
  • The receiver does not have to have the app installed
  • Send single or multiple files
  • Easy to setup:
  • Use QR codes to allow the receiver to easily connect to the wifi and open the receiving URL

Facts:

Fast File Transfer
Developer: Florian Draschbacher
Price: Free
Platform: Android 2.2 and higher

Play Store Link:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floriandraschbacher.fastfiletransfer

PLEASE NOTE:
The app does not work on:
Motorola Razr devices (Restarts phone; Problem in Motorola's Android implementation)
Most HTC One devices
HTC EVO devices
Some Galaxy Y devices
Devices that don't have a WiFi Tethering setting, such as the Nexus 7

These problems on specific devices are caused by restrictions and changes of manufacturers or carriers that make it impossible for the app to access WiFi tethering.:mad: Please don't write bad reviews mentioning the app does not work on a device listed above.

Please feel free to ask questions or make suggestions for future updates!:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-14-19-50-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-14-19-50-21.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 6,070
  • Screenshot_2012-10-14-19-52-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-14-19-52-18.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 6,084
  • Screenshot_2012-10-15-16-52-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-15-16-52-17.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5,557
  • Screenshot_2012-10-15-16-55-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-15-16-55-03.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5,824
Last edited:

theronkinator

Apr 16, 2011
Great App, is there any way to use it without it messing up my wifi hotspot settings (the restore option doesn't work).

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
Thankes , plan to give her a whirl moving some files around

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

thesoupthief

Dec 13, 2012
Dublin
Lovely App! Particularly useful for Nexus 4 owners!

Hi Florian,
Really like your app - it has a particular attraction to owners of the Nexus 4 (with it's somewhat limited storage capacity)
I've just posted about it over at modaco though unfortunately I can't post the link here due to XDA's posting restrictions.
Hopefully this will spark a bit more (much deserved) interest
Great work!

Reactions: FD_

devasenan200

Sep 6, 2012
Chennai
Fast File Transfer is a free Android app that uses WiFi tethering for file transfers between two devices.
This technology allows for speeds of more than 32 Mbit/s, which means e.g. 1 Gigabyte in under 5 minutes.
The app has received an update recently and now allows to display QR codes for easier setting up the receiving device.

Features:
  • Easy to setup:
  • Use QR codes to allow the receiver to easily connect to the wifi and open the receiving URL

Facts:

Fast File Transfer
Platform: Android 2.3 and higher

Play Store Link:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floriandraschbacher.fastfiletransfer

Tried on galaxy sl I9003...working awesome...no words to say..using 2.3.6 DDLF2 stock rom...

Last edited:

Porobu

Oct 3, 2011
Re: [App] Fast File Transfer - The WiFi Direct For The Rest Of Us

Works great on my galaxy mini 2, i use it to transfer things to my tablet that doesnt have wifi direct

Sent from my GT-S6500D using xda app-developers app

FD_

Oct 16, 2012
i followed directions went into gallery and tried sharing a few pics with the APP and sent me for an Immediate boot loop. Boot img displayed and rom reloaded. Cant get it to work thus far.. on my Motorola XT912

As mentioned in the app description on Google Play, the app does not work on Motorola's Razr devices. Sorry for that. It seems Motorola have a major bug somewhere in their WiFiManager implementation.

kbar1

Feb 16, 2012
Excellent app

Works fine on Samsung Galaxy SL (GT-I9003) running stock 2.3.6 GB. Getting speeds in excess of 1600 kbyte/s.

Requests to dev:

1. Show file size, speed, estimated time remaining during transfer.

2. Include a "cancel" button.

3. Enable batch transfers (queuing multiple file transfers).

4. Include a notification in the pull down menu with details of the transfer.

5. Consider implementing it like Bluetooth file transfer. The app must be installed on both devices. Pair/authenticate the devices, then select the file and the receiver device. Transfer will start immediately. The app running in background in the receiver device will detect the incoming file(s) and transfer them, without user intervention. Of course, include an option to "ask always". For non-Android devices, there's web based transfer/QR code.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dnst

FD_

Oct 16, 2012
Works fine on Samsung Galaxy SL (GT-I9003) running stock 2.3.6 GB. Getting speeds in excess of 1600 kbyte/s.
Great ! :victory:

1. Show file size, speed, estimated time remaining during transfer.
2. Include a "cancel" button.
4. Include a notification in the pull down menu with details of the transfer.
Will add this in one of the next updates.

3. Enable batch transfers (queuing multiple file transfers).
You can already send multiple files:
Just select multiple files in your file explorer before sending them.

5. Consider implementing it like Bluetooth file transfer. The app must be installed on both devices. Pair/authenticate the devices, then select the file and the receiver device. Transfer will start immediately. The app running in background in the receiver device will detect the incoming file(s) and transfer them, without user intervention. Of course, include an option to "ask always". For non-Android devices, there's web based transfer/QR code.
I'm planning to include a receiving part right within the app, where you would only have to enter Name and PW of the sender once and can receive with one click later.

Aashuk Mehta

Sep 4, 2012
Mumbai
Redmi Note 10
Re: [App] Fast File Transfer - The WiFi Direct For The Rest Of Us

I think you should not enable it like Bluetooth because I can send files to my laptop

Having app installed on both devices is not possible on laptop

Sent from my One V using xda premium

FD_

Oct 16, 2012
I think you should not enable it like Bluetooth because I can send files to my laptop
Having app installed on both devices is not possible on laptop

Developing an app that allows transfers to any WiFi device was one of my original goals, so of course I will always keep a way to receive without any special app. The receiving part I mentioned would just connect to the WiFi for you and open the web browser automatically.:D

BTW, some One V users report that the app does not work for them. Does it work on your One V? If so, which ROM are you running?

Last edited:

jophil2412

Jan 11, 2012
Bad Sassendorf
AW: [App] Fast File Transfer - The WiFi Direct For The Rest Of Us

Just discovered your app and have to say it's brilliant. I've always been searching for an app allowing me to send files via wifi between to devices using the Hotspot functionality. You just made my day ;) the only thing that could improve your app is a holo design and the already mentioned nfc feature ;)

Gesendet von meinem Xoom mit Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NEW VERSION 2.0 12/12/2014
    I'm proud to announce the release of Version 2.0, a complete rewrite with tons of new features.
    I've opened a new thread specifically dealing with the new version here.

NEW VERSION 1.2 03/02/2013
    Finally, the app allows pairing via NFC and more:
    • NFC (Beta)
      NFC can now be used for connecting to the WiFi and opening FFT'S web address
      You will have to install an app like WiFiTap on the receipient's device for connecting to the WiFi via NFC.
      Please note that WiFiTap only connects to a WiFi that not already known.
      NFC pairing is in BETA state currently. Send me an email if you experience problems.
    • New notifications that display progress, file size, current transfer speed and estimated transfer time
    • Hints for QR code and NFC
    • Added support for Android 2.2 (Tested on ZTE Blade)
    • Now continues sending when device's screen is turned off or the app is closed to background
    • Loads of bug fixes:
      • Error message on devices where the app could not get an IP
      • Multiple files should now work
      • Should now correctly restore WiFi Tethering
      • Menu works for devices without HW menu button
      • Progress correctly shown for files bigger than 4GB

Features:

• Easy to setup:

Facts:

Fast File Transfer
    Platform: Android 2.2 and higher

Play Store Link:

PLEASE NOTE:
    The app does not work on:
    Motorola Razr devices (Restarts phone; Problem in Motorola's Android implementation)
    Most HTC One devices
    HTC EVO devices
    Some Galaxy Y devices
    Devices that don't have a WiFi Tethering setting, such as the Nexus 7

These problems on specific devices are caused by restrictions and changes of manufacturers or carriers that make it impossible for the app to access WiFi tethering.:mad: Please don't write bad reviews mentioning the app does not work on a device listed above.

This project is amazinh but seems to be abandoned, its been a year since a major update happened.

Due to that Im using Super Beam which now works with gingerbread also.

I hope this project isnt dead

Enviado desde mi MB865 mediante Tapatalk

Hope the project is going good..i have recommended this app to all my friends in my college and many are benefited..thanks for keeping this project alive...:). Sad part is that i have changed my device and i am so sad that i could not use this app...

This project is NOT dead !!!
    I am currently working on the new version that will feature a number of major improvements. I am unfortunately not progressing as fast as I'd like to due to my full time job, but I have already set up the frames for all new features and some of them are already working.
    Stay tuned.
    (@josuearisty: you switched to the competitor :( ? )

Gesendet von meinem GT-N5100 mit Tapatalk
    Thread cleaned. Keep it civil guys ;)
    I'd like to share a bit of information on FastFileTransfer 2.0 with you:

Most new functions are implemented and working, and I am now building the new UI. As far as I can tell now, it will fit a lot more to Android's holo design.

Alltogether, FFT 2 will be a complete rewrite of the old version, with an improvement in any possible area.

Stay tuned!
    Please dont ask for estimated time, let this guy do his amazing work for this amazing app. :)
    Take your time man, so you can make it as good as possible.
    Thanks ;)
    BTW, I sticked without an option, as I implemented notifications, which would be useless without the app working in background too.
    Just try the update and tell me if you still need an option.

Good news guys!:laugh:
    I just uploaded version 1.2 to the Play Store. It will be available in a few hours.
    Added NFC and a few other things. Check the first post in this thread, I've updated it.

Unfortunately, I have to postbone big things like the receiving part for some months, as I am still busy preparing for my A levels.
    But still, I hope you'll like the new update.;)