[ROOT][HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
In this tutorial we will explore adding GPS functionality to the Kindle Fire HD 7" or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". This idea began about 1 year ago and has gone through several changes to adapt to the current Kindle platform. You DO NOT need a WiFi router or need to be connected to WiFi. This method uses WiFi to transmit GPS Data to the Kindle Fire.We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. You will need a Phone that has GPS with the Kindle Fire HD
2. Rooted Kindle HD

That method does work on the Kindle Fire HD 7" and HD 8.9" and is a method that was developed for the original Kindle Fire, it is quite simple, if you want to play a bit here it is:

Step 1: Download and Install SQL Lite Manager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qleditor&hl=en

Step 2: Download and Install Tether GPS (Preferred Method): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mptonsoft.tgps

Step 3: Enter the following commands through ADB:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
If you see a Serial Number, than proceed. If you do not see a number please review our ADB USB Driver Install located in our Root tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35957305

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

copy settings.db settings.bak

sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

adb reboot
Step 4: After the Kindle Fire restarts you should be ready to tether! Connect your Kindle Fire to your phone's WiFi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your Kindle Fire. Install Google Maps and Earth http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2069859

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.rootexplorer

ALT Step 1: Use Root Explorer and SQL Lite Manager to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

Code:
change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'
ALT Step 2: Restart your KF.

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Prokennexusa - New Series - The Noob Express Series

To All-

We have listened to all of you, thank you to everyone in XDA Developers for your time and feedback, we are launching a new series for the more advanced and for the people who like quick and dirty tutorials. The new series will be called, The Noob (Simple) Express Series. The idea is to take our core steps and place it into a tutorial, drilling down the steps to 75% of the original tutorial. So, if we have the Root Kindle Fire and it is 10 steps long, we plan to make the new tutorial only 4 steps long.

We will begin to deploy the new series next week. Thank you again! :good:

dustpop

Sep 24, 2012
Dose it means that I have to connect my phone's wifi network before I use Kindle Fire HD7's GPS?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Do I Need WiFi -

Dose it means that I have to connect my phone's wifi network before I use Kindle Fire HD7's GPS?

dustpop,

This is a great question dustpop. No, this idea does not need to be connected to WiFi to function as designed. Tether GPS reacts as a 'Router' so you connect your Kindle to Your phone through a WiFi single. Having said this, your phone becomes what is equal to, a WiFi Access Point without Internet. We also have a Bluetooth version we will be posting for people that prefer a Bluetooth connection over WiFi.

Having said this, since it is not dependent on a Internet connection, you are able to hike, ski, walk, etc with the Kindle and use it for navigation while out and about.

Reactions: martie01

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

To All -

We just added an optional BlueTooth method for those that prefer Bluetooth over WiFi. The Bluetooth tether does have less battery consumption over WiFi.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - GPS Dongle

Does that mean it will work with bluetooth gps dongles? Or do you need a full fledged device to supply the gps?

Geekybiker,

Thank you for posting the question. Yes, this package will work with Bluetooth GPS devices or dongles although we have not tested everyone on the market. We had success with an older US Global Sat BT368 - they cost about $60. I suspect most will function without a hitch.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

To All-

We have updated all our links to include two download options:

1. Dropbox
2. Ubuntu One

If one of our storage servers is down, you have an alternate to choose from - either link will download the exact same package, we have done this for redundancy.

kstephens98

Apr 29, 2009
Re: [ROOT][HOW TO] Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Versi

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

kstephens98,

The company made a change to their software, let me see if we can obtain the older copy. In the mean time, follow the instructions for the WiFi version, this works flawlessly.

Reactions: kstephens98

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - App Options

kstephens98,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

***WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO TEST THESE APPS - WE USE THE PREFERRED METHOD***

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: kstephens98

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Bth App Options

I can't get it to install from google play either? States it won't work on kfhd so won't install?
Any thoughts?

kgyuszko,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.

Last edited:

kgyuszko

Jan 2, 2013
kgyuszko,

OR
OR

Thanks for the quick response, however I have a question.

My mobile is blackberry curve, and does not support tethering (gggrrrr!!), hense the 'hope' that bluetooth connection via phone would work. I assume from your response this is not possible, or I am having a noob moment here??:confused:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Thanks for the quick response, however I have a question.

My mobile is blackberry curve, and does not support tethering (gggrrrr!!), hense the 'hope' that bluetooth connection via phone would work. I assume from your response this is not possible, or I am having a noob moment here??:confused:

kgyuszko,

Blackberry is a proprietary OS named BlackBerry Device Software v5 - this tutorial is designed for Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean Tablets and Phones. Blackberry is limited to Blackberry only apps and services.

Sorry!:crying:

Slimepuppy

Jan 6, 2013
San Antonio
KFHD 8.9 Doesn't Like Bluetooth GPS

Chris,

I'm having some weirdness with the bluetooth apps on my KFHD 8.9.

- GooGoo bluetooth would not install from either /sdcard/download or from /system/app.
- turboirc.btgps.apk installed. But I lost the pull-down menu (necessary to enable bluetooth, etc.) and the bottom nav menu - they are enabled for about second after boot, then they 'autohide' and are no longer available. Other apps work fine, but it's difficult to get back 'home' without a reboot.
- mobilej installed as well but also killed the menus.

Mobilej does have a 'settings' prompt that activated when it determined that bluetooth wasn't enabled, so I was able to enable the bluetooth radio from the app. I am able to see the TomTom MKII bluetooth GPS, and can enter the GPS' ID number when attempting to connect, but get a 'not compatible' error

Two questions - anyone know the app in /system/app that I might be able to run to regain the menus? Is there an app or file or database one can access to uninstall an app without access to the pull-down menu?

Sigh...time for another complete restore.

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD - Kindle Fire 8.9" build.prop

Chris,

I'm having some weirdness with the bluetooth apps on my KFHD 8.9.

- GooGoo bluetooth would not install from either /sdcard/download or from /system/app.
- turboirc.btgps.apk installed. But I lost the pull-down menu (necessary to enable bluetooth, etc.) and the bottom nav menu - they are enabled for about second after boot, then they 'autohide' and are no longer available. Other apps work fine, but it's difficult to get back 'home' without a reboot.
- mobilej installed as well but also killed the menus.

Mobilej does have a 'settings' prompt that activated when it determined that bluetooth wasn't enabled, so I was able to enable the bluetooth radio from the app. I am able to see the TomTom MKII bluetooth GPS, and can enter the GPS' ID number when attempting to connect, but get a 'not compatible' error

Two questions - anyone know the app in /system/app that I might be able to run to regain the menus? Is there an app or file or database one can access to uninstall an app without access to the pull-down menu?

Sigh...time for another complete restore.
Slimepuppy,

Damn software developers! Why do they have to make apps that beak devices! I am removing the Bluetooth option since it clearly does not work.

Sorry it had to be you! The software must have added something to the build.prop - can you get to Google Play Store? If yes, download and install build.prop Editor then open the editor and look at the last lines, it will be obvious what has been inserted. I have attached an original HD 8.9" build.prop to this response.

If I understand you correctly, you have removed the software, and since the removal you have lost the status bars, correct? Using ES File Explorer, take a peek at the /system/ folder, do you see a file named build.bak or something like this name? If yes, there is the backup build.prop.

Attachments

• build.prop.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 17

Slimepuppy

Jan 6, 2013
San Antonio
Slimepuppy,

Damn software developers! Why do they have to make apps that beak devices! I am removing the Bluetooth option since it clearly does not work.

Sorry it had to be you! The software must have added something to the build.prop - can you get to Google Play Store? If yes, download and install build.prop Editor then open the editor and look at the last lines, it will be obvious what has been inserted. I have attached an original HD 8.9" build.prop to this response.

If I understand you correctly, you have removed the software, and since the removal you have lost the status bars, correct? Using ES File Explorer, take a peek at the /system/ folder, do you see a file named build.bak or something like this name? If yes, there is the backup build.prop.
No worries Chris - it's a fun way to learn! The tools work for some - I just need to work through my newbness. ;)

Thanks for the build.prog info and the link - I'll do some exploring.
Andy

edit... just to clarify, the status bar buttons (back, home,search, etc.) disappeared after installing the bluetooth app. I wasn't able to delete the software as the Fire's pull-down menu and navigation buttons disappear when the bluetooth apps are installed. Once I reboot the Kindle, I can run any app I wish - once - but cannot close it to open another app (unless the app has an exit function) as there's no 'home' or 'back' button. The bottom status bar is there in the form of a black bar that's apparently still reserved, but there are no buttons. The top pull-down menu does not function either. There's no backup build.prop file in /system.

The process appears to work for the KFHD 7 so it's probably good to keep the option available.

If anyone's got these working on a KF HD 8.9, I'd like to hear from them - that'll let me know that I'm the problem and not the app. ;) Thanks!

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

No worries Chris - it's a fun way to learn! The tools work for some - I just need to work through my noobness. ;)

Thanks for the build.prog info and the link - I'll do some exploring.
Andy

Slimepuppy,

Let's enjoy the weekend and get back to the software on Monday. I will be interested to see what we have to change with the Google Play Store install.

Let us know if you need any more help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Do I Need WiFi -

dustpop,

This is a great question dustpop. No, this idea does not need to be connected to WiFi to function as designed. Tether GPS reacts as a 'Router' so you connect your Kindle to Your phone through a WiFi single. Having said this, your phone becomes what is equal to, a WiFi Access Point without Internet. We also have a Bluetooth version we will be posting for people that prefer a Bluetooth connection over WiFi.

Having said this, since it is not dependent on a Internet connection, you are able to hike, ski, walk, etc with the Kindle and use it for navigation while out and about.

kstephens98,

The company made a change to their software, let me see if we can obtain the older copy. In the mean time, follow the instructions for the WiFi version, this works flawlessly.
    Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - App Options

kstephens98,

OR
    OR

[HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks, I was mostly going off my first gen kindle fires, which did lose the ability to play amazon video when rooted. I'll give it a shot at some point.

jasonfreeland,

No worries, you have every right to be concerned, the Kindle is a beautiful piece of hardware - this is why we have these tutorials, we respect the value of the device and want to offer solid ways to upgrade the Kindle without causing and type of damage.

If you have any upgrade in mind and we do not offer a tutorial, please let us know, we will post one per your request.

Thank you for taking the time to post comments.
    The problem with GPS and Kindle is that almost all programs location-aware need to interact with the OS to collect coordinates. Amazon has protected the machine against real GPS and apps related but provides a weak location service by asking the global positions of the wifi routers of the surroundings and triangulating them.¿? but if you are outside of a city or village it doesn't work.

"Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) works for me. I've also tested it using my android phone as a GPS dongle with the demo of "GPS Bluetooth"(Meowbox) or other similar apps inside it, and the system worked.

My GPS dongle is a cheap Zaapa touch. You can test a Phone(converted to GPS dongle) to discard the incompatibility of the Garmin with the Kindle.

All the tests I've done where with stock roms, Kinology and Hashcode CM10.1.

Upto 7.2.4 AmazonOS doesn't permitted to pair a GPS Bluetooth dongle nor install GPS apps, but once paired "GPS Bluetooth provider"(Movile J.de) sideloaded worked.
    Now from 7.3.1 is permited to pair but Amazon has imposed a protection on "mock locations" and you must use the buggy "Bluetooth GPS Provider"(Michael Chourdakis) instead.

Kinology is affected as it actually is based on AmazonOS 7.3.1. On the other hand, Hashcode beta rom is free of limitations, all works for me, even the excellent "Bluetooth gps" from Googoo, that didn't install before 7.3.1, but you lose the Amazon environment....

The only solution I see is downgrade to 7.2.3 or to wait hopefully psych0phobia(creator of Kinology) to remove the protection on the next review of his rom, as he is on notice. I think his new version is ready yet, but Amazon runs quicker than him with the updates....Three revisions in 15 days...!

As you have paired, you also can try Trekbuddy(market free), a clever app that interacts directly with your GPS dongle.....

If Trekbuddy suits you, you can create maps for it with a free PC program called Mobile Atlas creator 1.8(not the 1,9, protected!) that extracts tiles from various web pages like Google maps....