[TUTORIAL] How to Manually ROOT your RK3066 Device (UG007, iMitio MX1/2, mk808?)

Search This thread

digitalhigh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 28, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
www.facebook.com
These are instructions for rooting Android devices that utilize the RK3066 chipset (Cortex A9 Dual Core, MALI Quad-Core GFX).

I have tested and verified that these instructions work for the UG007 Android-on-a-stick...they *should* work with any other devices that utilize the same USB chipset. I can almost guarantee this will work on the Imito MX1/2 as you can swap ROMS from this device.

(Basically, if you have the right ADB drivers, you should be good to go)

As per every other thread you read on this site - I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR DEVICE.

This is a fairly risk-free mod, but you know...$hit happens.

Okay. Let's start.

THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU HAVE ADB AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, and that you're in a Windows environment. There are numerous places on the web where you can find this info...and I ain't yo mamma. :D

1. Download all the files attached to this thread.

2. Attach your RK3066 device to your computer via it's microUSB port. You'll need to have it hooked to a display too.

3. Once booted, go to system settings. Under settings > developer options, enable USB Debugging. Under settings > USB, click "connect to computer" (This may vary depending on your ROM configuration. The point here is to have debugging enabled and your computer to recognize the stick in device manager as something other than USB storage)

4. Extract the right drivers for your system (x86/x64)

5. Go to device manager on your computer. Look for the new "unknown device". Right-click, pick "update driver software"., "browse my computer".

6. Browse to wherever you extracted the drivers in step 4. Click Next. Confirm that you want to install.

7. Open a command window in the directory where you have ADB. Type "adb devices". Still nothing, right?

8. Navigate to C:\users\MYUSERNAME\.android, where "MYUSERNAME" is your User Name. (Duh?)

9. Create a file called adb_usb.ini

10. Open it in a text editor. Add the following string and save (This tells ADB to look for our Vendor ID:

0x2207

11. You should now be able to type "adb devices" at CMD and see your device.

12. Now for the fun. Extract the stuff from "pushme" to the same directory as ADB.

13. Enter the following commands (note: The "$" and "#" symbols do not get keyed in):
Code:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 777 psneuter
$ ./psneuter

14. Psneuter should run and close shell when done. Enter MOAR commands:

Code:
adb kill-server
adb devices
adb shell

15. Take a good look. Is there now a "#" sign? Good. You now have root access. You may continue. If not, then proceed to go yell at me in the comments. If yes, then proceed to enter the last batch of commands to make your newfound privileges permanent:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
exit
adb push busybox /system/bin
adb push su /system/bin
adb install Superuser.apk
adb shell
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
# chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
# mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
# exit
adb reboot

After a reboot, download a root app from Play Store to see if it worked! I find Root Checker is boffo for this sort of thing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tcheck&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

THANKS/CREDITS:

Aaron Orquia @ Pocketables.com for the original "universal" root method.

AMJtech's tutorial where I found working ADB drivers and the adb_usb.ini bit to get it recognized.

The guy(s) who make Super1ClickRoot for putting all the necessary files in one easy-to-find spot. :D

Attachments

• PLT-7035_ADB_Drivers_-_32_bit.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 5,887
  • PLT-7035_ADB_Drivers_-_64_bit.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 7,098
  • PushThese.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 11,066

Linuxslate

Jan 13, 2009
linuxslate.com
Thanks for this tutorial.

A couple of notes:

Wow !! That's a lot of extra steps for you Windows users. Mac and Linux users start at step 11 (but if you are a Mac or Linux user, you already knew that. :p )

Linux: If the device still does not show up in Step 11, post, and I can help (Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

Is step 13 necessary? adb remount works on mine. (not sure if I had to adb root first or not) but I can have a root shell via adb without psnueter.

If adb remount succeeds, skip step 14, and continue with the 3rd line of step 15.

digitalhigh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 28, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
www.facebook.com

A couple of notes:

Wow !! That's a lot of extra steps for you Windows users. Mac and Linux users start at step 11 (but if you are a Mac or Linux user, you already knew that. :p )

Linux: If the device still does not show up in Step 11, post, and I can help (Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

Is step 13 necessary? adb remount works on mine. (not sure if I had to adb root first or not) but I can have a root shell via adb without psnueter.

If adb remount succeeds, skip step 14, and continue with the 3rd line of step 15.

Thanks for the input! Yes, yes, I know windoze makes more work. It's also pretty widespread for folks. ;)

For step 13 - I think it depends on the device. It would be nice for others to weigh in and let me know if it's needed. If not, I can totally remove it.

Also, in the other ROM thread, I made, it's even easier to root - you just grab one of the pre-rooted ROMS and drop it in SD card...the system does the rest. Mind you, this is for the UG007.

Reactions: $trwy2hvn

webwalk®

Dec 26, 2010
nice tutorial.. while finding the best way to work my ug007 i stumbled upon this thread via armtvtech.com
currently i only knew this tutorial to root the device, but looking at yours ill give it a try first.

Also, in the other ROM thread, I made, it's even easier to root - you just grab one of the pre-rooted ROMS and drop it in SD card...the system does the rest. Mind you, this is for the UG007.

you cant install custom roms without flashmode, cant do flashmode without opening device.. or did i get it wrong!? talking about the ug007
actually you can install a custom rom once you are rooted without opening the device, here

(Hint: It may not be /just/ the udev stuff.)

ehm.. im still preparing to root, i guess you hint at the android sdk?
if not ill holla back at you and complain why you didnt write it out in first place :p
but very good to know that i skip alot by "almost" only installing ubuntu to a vm

Last edited:

SLotman

Feb 2, 2013
I may be missing something, but I couldn't get this to work on my UG007 :(

psneuter didn't work for me, gave me an error about 'invalid ioctl' or something. But the strangest thing is that "adb shell" already shows the # in the prompt.

To confirm my suspitions, I also typed "adb root", which returned "adb is already running as root".

So I proceeded with the rest of the instructions. No errors appeared, installed Superuser and I can see su and busybox in system/bin

But when I download root checker it says it wasn't properly rooted. installing terminal and type "su" says permission denied - and that's it.

Am I missing something? I'm new to this rooting thing, so please don't be angry with my noobish questions :eek:

Last edited:

SLotman

Feb 2, 2013
I managed to do it - but *not* by following this tutorial.

I used this: armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?t=28 (Cant post links yet, sorry!)
Only ran the "TPSarky-VonDroid-Root" bat, and presto! I had root on UG007.

I even fixed the changing MAC address problem with wlan.ko from armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=632&start=10 (link on page 2). I just copied it to /data/local/tmp, set permissions as rwr--r-- and then used root explorer to copy it to /system/lib/modules - now I have wifi signal every time I boot the device, and don't need to mess with my router config every time :)

I also manage to get xbox360 wired controller working. xpad.ko on /data/local/tmp and then insmod /data/local/tmp/xpad.ko - just connect the joystick after that, and it will be recognized. Only problem is, after a reboot I have to insmod again.

I tried doing the same thing I did with wlan.ko, but nothing happens - system won't load it on boot. Am I missing something here?

rickyrockrat

Feb 12, 2013
The psneuter is broken

I'm on Linux, running a RK3066, and psneuter gives "Failed to set prot mask (Inappropriate ioctl for device)". Running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1.1, kernel 3.0.8+, build RK30_anpei10w1am-r4.0.57.20121207, A10-2 cpu.

Linuxslate

Jan 13, 2009
linuxslate.com
I may be missing something, but I couldn't get this to work on my UG007 :(

psneuter didn't work for me, gave me an error about 'invalid ioctl' or something. But the strangest thing is that "adb shell" already shows the # in the prompt.

To confirm my suspitions, I also typed "adb root", which returned "adb is already running as root".

So I proceeded with the rest of the instructions. No errors appeared, installed Superuser and I can see su and busybox in system/bin

But when I download root checker it says it wasn't properly rooted. installing terminal and type "su" says permission denied - and that's it.

Am I missing something? I'm new to this rooting thing, so please don't be angry with my noobish questions :eek:

Try renaming old "su".

Check permissions on the su and busybox you installed.

AW079

Jun 12, 2012
London
MK808, MK809 [model T002], and the MK802 III anyone?

Hi,
Thanks OP for this information.

I have a Samsung S3 [my first android device] which I rooted with no problem, but am a total noob when it comes to these android sticks.
One can say they are very similar, so I wont be completely in the dark. OK, now that we got that out of the way...

Can anyone please confirm whether they have used this with the MK808, MK809 [model T002], and the MK802 III,
I have ordered these from 1 from amazon and 2 from ebay and am expecting delivery shortly, therefore I just want to make sure before I go bricking them one by one...

I notice that they all have RK3066 Cortex A9 chips but are manufactured by different companies. The ones I see on eBay, although they all bear the same code MK8xx, they all look very different! I presume the MK8xx code is a universal model?? just like 80486 was to the PC? given the case does this method work universally?

I intend to set them up with XBMC media centres and to use with a Xbox controller. Any advice on the best way for achieving this would be nice too.

Thanks
:good:

rlanza1054

Dec 5, 2011
Astoria, N.Y.
I got mine the other day and it turned out to be rooted already?

I decided to install SuperSu and that's how I found out it was rooted.

Immediately, installed Busybox, System Tuner Pro and Titanium Backup.

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

bananapeal

May 4, 2012
Mesa AZ
psneuter broken

Hello,

the psneuter attached to the first post doesn't do anything to my ug007. I have the same error others have posted here and haven't gotten a reply about.

To unlock, I used the script that's mentioned in a post above, TPSarky-VonDroid-Root. If you google that, you'll find a download link amongst the results.

ageerer84

Apr 7, 2013
I configured one of these at work. Upon using the terminal app and typing in su I got the # sign. They seem to come from the factory rooted already.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ildar_prophet

Apr 20, 2011
johan-notes.blogspot.com
I configured one of these at work. Upon using the terminal app and typing in su I got the # sign. They seem to come from the factory rooted already.

Not exactly: this particular su can be used only from adb console, or at least that how it was on my tablet. So you need to replace it with a Superuser apk's su to get all features of rooted android. You can get one e.g. from FDroid
--
blog

ageerer84

Apr 7, 2013
Not sure what u mean by on your tablet. Android devices don't typically come rooted but I was surprised to have root access via terminal emulator on this stick PC. I just took it out of the box and definitely didn't have to go through the adb interface on a computer to flash superuser or what have you. Is this just me or is this a typical experience with this particular device?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These are instructions for rooting Android devices that utilize the RK3066 chipset (Cortex A9 Dual Core, MALI Quad-Core GFX).

I have tested and verified that these instructions work for the UG007 Android-on-a-stick...they *should* work with any other devices that utilize the same USB chipset. I can almost guarantee this will work on the Imito MX1/2 as you can swap ROMS from this device.

(Basically, if you have the right ADB drivers, you should be good to go)

As per every other thread you read on this site - I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR DEVICE.

This is a fairly risk-free mod, but you know...$hit happens.

Okay. Let's start.

THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU HAVE ADB AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, and that you're in a Windows environment. There are numerous places on the web where you can find this info...and I ain't yo mamma. :D

1. Download all the files attached to this thread.

2. Attach your RK3066 device to your computer via it's microUSB port. You'll need to have it hooked to a display too.

3. Once booted, go to system settings. Under settings > developer options, enable USB Debugging. Under settings > USB, click "connect to computer" (This may vary depending on your ROM configuration. The point here is to have debugging enabled and your computer to recognize the stick in device manager as something other than USB storage)

4. Extract the right drivers for your system (x86/x64)

5. Go to device manager on your computer. Look for the new "unknown device". Right-click, pick "update driver software"., "browse my computer".

6. Browse to wherever you extracted the drivers in step 4. Click Next. Confirm that you want to install.

7. Open a command window in the directory where you have ADB. Type "adb devices". Still nothing, right?

8. Navigate to C:\users\MYUSERNAME\.android, where "MYUSERNAME" is your User Name. (Duh?)

9. Create a file called adb_usb.ini

10. Open it in a text editor. Add the following string and save (This tells ADB to look for our Vendor ID:

0x2207

11. You should now be able to type "adb devices" at CMD and see your device.

12. Now for the fun. Extract the stuff from "pushme" to the same directory as ADB.

13. Enter the following commands (note: The "$" and "#" symbols do not get keyed in):
    Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
    adb shell
    $ cd /data/local/tmp
    $ chmod 777 psneuter
    $ ./psneuter

14. Psneuter should run and close shell when done. Enter MOAR commands:

Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb devices
    adb shell

15. Take a good look. Is there now a "#" sign? Good. You now have root access. You may continue. If not, then proceed to go yell at me in the comments. If yes, then proceed to enter the last batch of commands to make your newfound privileges permanent:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    exit
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb install Superuser.apk
    adb shell
    # chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    # chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    # mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    # exit
    adb reboot

After a reboot, download a root app from Play Store to see if it worked! I find Root Checker is boffo for this sort of thing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tcheck&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

THANKS/CREDITS:

Aaron Orquia @ Pocketables.com for the original "universal" root method.

AMJtech's tutorial where I found working ADB drivers and the adb_usb.ini bit to get it recognized.

The guy(s) who make Super1ClickRoot for putting all the necessary files in one easy-to-find spot. :D

A couple of notes:

Thanks for the input! Yes, yes, I know windoze makes more work. It's also pretty widespread for folks. ;)

For step 13 - I think it depends on the device. It would be nice for others to weigh in and let me know if it's needed. If not, I can totally remove it.

./psneuter
    Failed to set prot mask (Inappropriate ioctl for device) ??
    Ohw buddy calm down don't be a badass. Sure cool for your IT friends. You must be new right to showoff to be c00l on the 1337 d3v t34m.
    The reallity is no, you're not.

Point is this must be copy/paste work and/or if it is the same get it approved? You don't know how many people try to backdoor **** with payloads that gain root and in that way subscribe to services what cost load of f*cking $ g!

FYI
    Android.Lotoor.A: A Trojan that attempt to exploit vulnerabilities in the Android operating system to gain root privilege.

I have to reserve engineer your crap first before i will even execute it. I aint trust nobody. It could easily be backdoored, not saying that it is because i wont waste my spare free time on this. But it could be!
    Wondering how you got that **** flagged like a Lotoor must be c/p work and not your own stuff if you have no good excuse. Anyway you did a good job on that part ;)

And yea of course i know they flag it because this could be used in android malware too. But if it is compiled, what do you want to do? USB debugging must be enabled and adb is needed? And yes it is true public stuff that behaves like often gets flagged too.

English must not be your strong suit, eh? It does say right in the OP that I was mostly just rewording another tutorial based on my personal experience and a little bit of extra knowledge from the ROM I've released on a weekly basis for the past year or so.

You had to reverse engineer it, eh? Good. Good for you. I'm very proud of you. It was pointed out that it's a pretty commonly used exploit. Be paranoid. But Google is also this pretty handy website that came out a few years ago that lets you look up stuff before you go being a tool on a post where somebody was trying to help others.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now. I hope you're satisfied.
    please link me to those binaries as I have the same issue you had. Thanks!

http://liliputing.com/2013/03/koush...superuser-app-for-rooted-android-devices.html has a link to download the zip file. Just copy the Superuser.apk and armeabi/su on top of the ones you already have.

This assumes you do have the same issue as me, specifically that you do in fact have root over adb (otherwise you wouldn't be able to just copy the files).

I don't remember if I also had to set permissions on the files, You might want to check the permissions on the existing versions of the files first.