HD2 Died..... or did it?

Search This thread

joseh_1991

Aug 16, 2010
HD2 problems: is this a version issue??

I was wondering about all these problems with the HD2 and maybe this has to be with if the HD2 is either an European or an American version, or maybe if its T-Mobile or just an unlocked one from HTC. Remember that T-Mobile's HD2 is a bit different from HTC's HD2. Im really confused at this point because im planning on buying a HD2, but after seeing all these problems maybe im going with a Legend or a Desire.

ShadoweagL

Jun 15, 2006
NEtherlands
Im really confused at this point because im planning on buying a HD2, but after seeing all these problems maybe im going with a Legend or a Desire.

That might result in the same issue, so I've read in a post somewhere else...
Someone bought another HTC phone and experienced the same problems described in this topic (this was an Android based phone)!

I also am troubled by this damn bug (and still don't know where to search for a solution concerning this).
After getting too irritated by having to reboot my phone every hour, I decided to update my rom (upgraded from T-Mobile factory Rom to a Dutty's release).
After flashing my Rom I started configuring my device, no problems so far...
Downloaded my contacts and text messages through MS myphone, still no issues...
I installed a bunch of .cab files from my memory card (8Gb) onto as well my phone as memory card storage, everything still ran smooth without the SOD's, but after a few hours...there it was again!
Immediately downloaded the most recent Dutty Rom (v9) and flashed my phone again, I also read somewhere that issues would have something to do with the twitter client, so did not configure that one, I did configure my live mail and gmail and facebook account.
With few applications installed and only downloading phone contacts (excluded my text messages) through myphone, it ran smooth for a few days now.
I did however experience some issues (three times or so) with a non responsive screen after trying to release the lock when you want to turn on your phone and getting it out of standby mode.
It seems to me that this issue has something to do with the Rom software...

The investigation continues!

September 18th, 2010:
This morning I woke up after a night of a bit too much to drink...
Forgot to recharge my phone, so connected to my computer and charging started.
I tried to turn on my phone, this worked, but it got stuck in some kind of loop...
The screen showed the HTC screen, and restarted again, until the battery went dead again (Somehow it didn't charge anymore from that point).
After removing my battery and left it out for a short while placed it back in again.
I was hoping this moment would never happen, but it did.
The screen doesn't respond to ANYTHING whatsoever anymore.
Resets didn't help, flashing my Rom did not help, even performed a factory reset.
It all ends up in a non-responsive screen.
I think the only option left now is returning my HTC HD2 and hoping T-Mobile will fix this depressing bug!

Last edited:

ShadoweagL

Jun 15, 2006
NEtherlands
Today I got my phone running again.
Somehow I pressed it kinda hard en it reacted, so I could punch in my PIN.
After that slowly the screen started responding again.
So, definately a softwarebug, which I think comes forth out of HTC Sense.
I deactivated the functionality and now I have no issues anymore AT ALL.

bestmodel03

Oct 7, 2008
That might result in the same issue, so I've read in a post somewhere else...
Someone bought another HTC phone and experienced the same problems described in this topic (this was an Android based phone)!

I also am troubled by this damn bug (and still don't know where to search for a solution concerning this).
After getting too irritated by having to reboot my phone every hour, I decided to update my rom (upgraded from T-Mobile factory Rom to a Dutty's release).
After flashing my Rom I started configuring my device, no problems so far...
Downloaded my contacts and text messages through MS myphone, still no issues...
I installed a bunch of .cab files from my memory card (8Gb) onto as well my phone as memory card storage, everything still ran smooth without the SOD's, but after a few hours...there it was again!
Immediately downloaded the most recent Dutty Rom (v9) and flashed my phone again, I also read somewhere that issues would have something to do with the twitter client, so did not configure that one, I did configure my live mail and gmail and facebook account.
With few applications installed and only downloading phone contacts (excluded my text messages) through myphone, it ran smooth for a few days now.
I did however experience some issues (three times or so) with a non responsive screen after trying to release the lock when you want to turn on your phone and getting it out of standby mode.
It seems to me that this issue has something to do with the Rom software...

The investigation continues!

September 18th, 2010:
This morning I woke up after a night of a bit too much to drink...
Forgot to recharge my phone, so connected to my computer and charging started.
I tried to turn on my phone, this worked, but it got stuck in some kind of loop...
The screen showed the HTC screen, and restarted again, until the battery went dead again (Somehow it didn't charge anymore from that point).
After removing my battery and left it out for a short while placed it back in again.
I was hoping this moment would never happen, but it did.
The screen doesn't respond to ANYTHING whatsoever anymore.
Resets didn't help, flashing my Rom did not help, even performed a factory reset.
It all ends up in a non-responsive screen.
I think the only option left now is returning my HTC HD2 and hoping T-Mobile will fix this depressing bug!

i got exactly same prob. like you..i need ur help...

Krjmcd

Nov 16, 2007
I had exactly the same problems as many of the previous posters. Tried numerous fixes but steadily got worse. Eventually couldn't switch phone on for almost 2 days after the last freeze so it went back to O2 who replaced the circuit board.
Since then( 4 weeks) it (touch wood) hasn't missed a beat and is running everything exactly the same as before the repair since I restored a backup made with SPB Backup. Will keep posted but now think was a hardware issue all along.

Mobli

Feb 21, 2008
Since my initial post in February of being affected by this problem my HD2 has been running OK.

However, this week, it has been dying on me at least once a day and is now close to meeting a grisly death by brick wall!

How depressing that since then, from reading subsequent posts in this thread, there does not seem to be any conclusive solution.

Last edited:

jonbaker76

Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, my phone dies/crashes all the time. Usualy have to take the cover and battery out at least once a day :mad:

but other days i wont get a problem

Also got this today (first time in three weeks since getting my HD2). Wouldnt switch on or charge, but came back to life with soft reset. I noticed when it booted up it had the warning sign for low battery just for a fraction of a second, before reverting to the true value (37%). Havent got third party keyboard or much else installed (and stock rom).

Can live with a few freezes every now again - just hopes it doesnt get more frequent!

neonstorm

Nov 18, 2006
Florida
Similar situation with some differences...

<2 week old T-MO US HD2, stock WinMO ROM, 2.14 radio, Android via Exceller loader

Couple nights ago, battery went to zero during use. Tried to power on again to see if i could squeeze another minute of critical use out of it, and I got the T-MO splash screen before it died again.

Got home and stuck it on the AC charger, got no charging LED. I pulled the battery, put it back, then plugged it in... with no effect. I panicked a little, then hopped on xda and started searching. Found the pull-the-battery-for-30-minutes trick; I pulled the battery, waited, then plugged in the charger and then popped in the battery. The charging LED lit and the phone started booting. All was well for a couple of days.

Last night, I got home with about 35% battery remaining. Plugged in the AC charger, and got no charging. Rebooted, still no charging. Powered off, no charging even while shut down. This morning, the phone still had about 20% remaining (thanks to Tasker profile) but still couldn't get it to charge. Got ready for work, and grabbed my HD2 only to find it drained.

Plugged into car DC charger, hoping AC charger may be bad, but no charging. Tried the battery pull trick again, and it is charging fine now.

I think the fact that it wouldn't even charge while powered off rules out any software issues... unless there is some sort of "BIOS" (for lack of knowledge) that controls hardware and charging.

So, independent of either OS (WinMO or Android) I am still unable to get a charge while the device is powered off until pulling battery. I know on my old Cliq, in recovery mode there was a "reset battery stats" option (or similar). Is there any such option for HD2?

I'm STRONGLY considering swapping it with T-MO, but I HATE that they take my practically new phone and send me a refurbed one. Had issues with my Cliq with that.

Any input?

Thanks,

Ryan

iroczinoz

Jul 21, 2010
Looks like heaps of people are having similar problems. It is getting worse and worse on my end. I get these lock ups every 2nd day or so.

Then sometimes I don't get any SMS tone when an SMS comes in. Sometimes the SMS tone will play forever even though the tone is only 10seconds long. The phone will vibrate until the battery will go dead.

Sometimes it behaves normally other times not.

Not very happy with this and since so many people have the same issue. I think for the money paid for this device it should be a little more reliable.

Probably take it in for repairs or refund. If they won't fix the issue with a repair I think they only other thing is to ask for a refund.

It is absurd to be taking out the battery once a day because the phone plays up.

Mind you all this on a stock ROM with a couple of applications installed. Might try and disable sense as mentioned above.

shahr321

Jun 25, 2009
my phone worst.

its will reboot after 10 minutes continuous using it. then hang at famous htc white screen. i believed it is due to the overheating and the main board.

to reduce of its freezing frequently, i am no longer utilise sense.

without sense this hd2 is just and average phone and fun no mo.

conclusion: avoid hd2 at any cost.

Note: the mainboard is damn expensive. so if you still got your warranty, send it back and get it replace. DONT WAIT.

cheers.

cozzykim

Jan 9, 2006
Manchester
my phone worst.

its will reboot after 10 minutes continuous using it. then hang at famous htc white screen. i believed it is due to the overheating and the main board.

to reduce of its freezing frequently, i am no longer utilise sense.

without sense this hd2 is just and average phone and fun no mo.

conclusion: avoid hd2 at any cost.

Note: the mainboard is damn expensive. so if you still got your warranty, send it back and get it replace. DONT WAIT.

cheers.

I think you're right, it's a hardware fault!! (those symptoms anyway)

My GF has just sent hers back under warranty with the same symptoms exactly.

HTC were perfect, picked the phone up and returned it within 10 days with a new motherboard.

Fault was described on the repair sheet as current leakage MB, battery overheat.

Full story here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9560884#post9560884

iPAQ 6515a User

Mar 24, 2008
DF
After two months of happy playing with my new HD2 Toy I discovered SOD (right after cleaning registry with Pocket Mechanic)

I looked for solutions and here comes the summary of all suggestions in this thread so you do not have to go through them all (maybe BEARDS could put them into the first post?)

Code:
Below is the settings to apply to MemMaid:-

In your programs section you should see 2 icons, one called Memmaid Quick Clean and the other is Memmaid.

Click on the Memmaid icon and a window opens.
At the top left corner it should say Quick Cleaner but this is not relevant for now.

Put a tick in the the following options (the list is scrollable):

- compact ram
- windows temp files
- temp files
- ie cache files
- ie history files
- opera cache
- dead shortcuts
- duplicate notifications
- dangling notifications
- invalid notifications
- rebuild notification queue
- recycle bin
- google maps cache

Press the CLEAN button and wait for the tool to do its job then press the close button.

Next, on the bottom right of your screen, click the Tools option. From the drop-down menu choose CLEAN SCHEDULE.

Tick the following items:
- on soft reset
- daily (here you need to scroll to the right to select the icon with the 3 dots in it to set your schedule)
- show report (optional)
- show progress (optional)

Click DONE on the bottom left corner on your screen and job's a good 'un!

okay, after the kitchen done,
delete all folder that has 'xip' in their name in SYS & OEM folders only!
delete LangDB folder in OEM folder only. (ignore in subdirs)
delete WinceNLS folder in SYS folder.

copy all files from \temp\dumpxip to ROM\XIP

*the folder name may vary because i'm at office & cant remember the exact folder name.

Hope this help & pls trust me. SoD is not an issue anymore.

•	OEM
	◦	OEMXIPKernel
	◦	LangDB
	•	SYS
	◦	MSXIPKernel
	◦	MSXIPKernelLTK
	◦	WinCENLS_WWE
	◦	

Using scheduled SKtools 4.4.7.15.

Running Advanced Clean - clears prog history, ie history, deleted backup entries only

Temp and cache folders - IE content, history, temp folder, TS Client cache, Opera cache, System temp

Temp and junk files

Cookies

Bad/Old Uninstall info

Notification Queue

Ok I tested MemMaind with deleting duplicates and invalid notifications (after restart, but there is some process creating new duplicated notification "after" MemMaid startup & every night at 3 am), but today my phone freeze again (always in sleep mode... but the led indicator Was still blinking, and I was able to reset using reset button). Now I added delating dongling notifications (is this safe? what exactly is "dongling" notification?!) and found some information, that WM auto-recreate notification queue "from time to time" and suggestion to increase value of 5 in this place:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power\Timeouts\ACResumingSuspendTimeout
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power\Timeouts\BattResumingSuspendTimeout 

I put there 15 (seconds).. what value do You have (in stock & non-stock rom)? 

PS This "solution" was not for HD2 - this Was "generally on Windows Mobile" - I don't know if this Was for 6.0, 6.1, 6.5 or other version. But I found, that people in some cases increase this value to 120 seconds (in theroy this is time which can be used by phone for example for rebuilding notification queue).

You need to to press Start then in the bottom left there will be 'Lock'. Click that and the screen will lock. Next time you press the power button to turn the screen off it will be locked as normal when you turn it back ok. 

Hope this helps. I think it must be a little bug with the 1.48 ROM

Start/Settings/Data Services - Then look down the list til you find 'Internet Time Sync' and click on it.
Next untick 'Get time from the internet' and untick.

Then I found another thread that blamed the same sort of problem on Sprite BackUp. No-way I thought, I've been using it since my old MPx days and it's always saved my bacon!

But further down, someone explained that the issue wasn't a flaw in Sprite, just that the Restore Settings had to be set correctly. Specifically, under: OPTIONS - RESTORE - GENERAL under "Systems Settings Restore" it defaults to "Merge". Unfortunately this means that restoration will result in some of the settings from the current setup being retained. To prevent this, it needs to be set to "Replace" so that ONLY the previous Settings will be on the device after the Restore takes place.

Well I did this, and 5 minutes later my HD2 is whole and healthy again!

Change your SIM card

Uninstall / switch off HTC Sense

Bad charger/adapter

No signal 8/

Now if you ask me if I found a solution?

Let me get back to you later this week ....

2011 02.28 Status Update

Victory!!! No more SOD (for now)

The reason for my SOD was Pocket Mechanic's 'clean registry' process. It cleaned too much

So I tried all from the aforementioned and ended up reflashing my HD2 TUS 1024 ROM Elegancia GTX by Miri & Steve007 because I didn't want to reinstall everything from scratch (or rather waste more than 1 day on that) I decided to restore everything using SpriteBackup 6.5.5 to the before Pocket Mechanic Clean Registry era. So I did.

And there it was ... SOD again.

I decided to restore everything using SpriteBackup once again but this time using the tip from above (Options, Restore, Replace not Merge) and that was it.

Voi-la

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2009
Where do you think?
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've been suffering from these same symptoms for the past 3 or 4 weeks and had almost given up on my trusty HD2. After installing MemMaid and following the steps outlined by Beards, my HD2 has a new lease on life and it solved another problem I was having with bluetooth dropping the stereo headphone connection and requiring a soft reset. I actually seems to be working better than even before the Sleep Of Death started to happen.

Thanks again to everyone :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm in between surgery so thought I'd post a quick question where the answer is puzzling me.
    Basically, I'm in wonder if this has happened to any other soul?

Picked up my HD2 when I came out of Theatre and it simply would not switch on.
    Thinking it may be the battery that had run down I connected it to a power source to charge and noticed the Orange charge indicator did not light up.

Next I took out the battery and reinserted, then pushed the power button......
    Still nothing.

Thinking was it a problematic battery (although it still should have switched on when connected to a power source) I exchanged the battery for the spare I take around with me.
    Still nothing.

Finally, I reinserted the first battery and once again pressed the power button.
    This time it fired up and loaded without any issue.
    I checked the battery level ~ that indicated 56% still remaining.
    So I am in puzzlement as to what may have caused it's temporary death.

Has any other had a similar experience?

Edit 01 ~ 24 Feb 2010
    It would seem that to some (myself included) there is a fix that does indeed cure the problem and that is by using the software application MemMaid.
    Others have tried SKTools but MemMaid seems to operate much better at terminating the freezes.

Unfortunately MemMaid is not free and seeing as HTC will not budge from this being a 'users personal settings' that is causing the freeze our only course of action at the moment is by using MemMaid.
    However, please do note..... Not everyone has benefited from using MemMaid; why that is the case could be down to some individuality ~ a different setting, installed software, routine notification, etc. etc.
    In other words first try the free trial version of MemMaid and if it seems to cure the the problem then do consider investing in it.... besides all this it is a great piece of software.

You can get hold of MemMaid here.

Word of Warning.....
    Ensure you set up MemMaid correctly. I spent ages with member wacky banana throwing many personal messages between the two of us like fervid lovers until finally wacky came up with a setting we could use.

Below is the settings to apply to MemMaid:-

In your programs section you should see 2 icons, one called Memmaid Quick Clean and the other is Memmaid.

Click on the Memmaid icon and a window opens.
    At the top left corner it should say Quick Cleaner but this is not relevant for now.

Put a tick in the the following options (the list is scrollable):

- compact ram
    - windows temp files
    - temp files
    - ie cache files
    - ie history files
    - opera cache
    - dead shortcuts
    - duplicate notifications
    - dangling notifications
    - invalid notifications
    - rebuild notification queue
    - recycle bin
    - google maps cache

Press the CLEAN button and wait for the tool to do its job then press the close button.

Next, on the bottom right of your screen, click the Tools option. From the drop-down menu choose CLEAN SCHEDULE.

Tick the following items:
    - on soft reset
    - daily (here you need to scroll to the right to select the icon with the 3 dots in it to set your schedule)
    - show report (optional)
    - show progress (optional)

Click DONE on the bottom left corner on your screen and job's a good 'un!

Edit 02 ~ 24 Feb 2010
    Member jonbaker76 came up with a few extra tips to help alleviate the problem:-

• 1). Install MemMaid and follow settings provided by Beards & WB

[*]2). Disable the alarm (use G-Alarm maybe)

[*]3). Turn off Facebook updates

[*]4). Turn off Weather updates

[*]5). Turn off Internet Time Sync

[*]6). Wait a while before carrying out a soft reset, your Phone may just wake up

Edit 03 ~ 25 Feb 2010
    Guys,
    We are starting to find a pattern building up here relating the problem with Sense.
    Some users don't have problems with ROM 1.48 but others Do/Did (I used to) so we can't say v1.48 was okay.
    However, it's the later ROM's which seem to have the greater of the problem which could relate to an issue with Sense.
    i.e. Although evident in v1.48 it was not as strong but with either Cooked ROM's or updated ROM's the problem has been magnified.

A few Guys have now tried using their HD2 without Sense and report a stable platform.
    What I am saying here is if you have the problem and you can afford not to use Sense then try running your Phone without it for a trial and see how it performs...... With enough info we can pass this on to HTC.