Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

young420

Jun 1, 2011
You just need a tmobile note 2 to bypass throttleing. Hapa+ is good enough for me lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360174957196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360174957196.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.

Reactions: Bajanman

lurchbyrep

Mar 5, 2011
Pocatello, ID
How is everyone checking their data usage? I've seen some of you posting screen shots of software data trackers. I'm just wondering if you are all checking these figures up against AT&T's records, e.g. dialing *data#. I only bring it up because some of you might not be aware that the billing cycle your phone is checking may not be the same as the cycle which AT&T is counting.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Yea how are you all checking your data? Cause you could be wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
I have my software data trackers set to reset the counter the day my billing cycle restarts. But I also check AT&T's website and the My AT&T app since I do update or switch ROMs at times.

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
I have the unlimited LTE visual voicemail data plan and was just throttled. I signed into ATT.com and looked at the "services and features' that I"m currently signed up on. In the data list, I'm ticked for the Unlimited LTE with visual. So all I did was switch it to the Unlimited LTE without visual voicemail, confirm and was unthrottled again on LTE. Then when you're throttled again switch back to the visual voicemail data plan. It's a bit inconvenient this way but I don't ever use visual voicemail.

Reactions: Bajanman

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I have the unlimited LTE visual voicemail data plan and was just throttled. I signed into ATT.com and looked at the "services and features' that I"m currently signed up on. In the data list, I'm ticked for the Unlimited LTE with visual. So all I did was switch it to the Unlimited LTE without visual voicemail, confirm and was unthrottled again on LTE. Then when you're throttled again switch back to the visual voicemail data plan. It's a bit inconvenient this way but I don't ever use visual voicemail.

Wow it's been busy in here. That's great forgot to subscribe:banghead: lol.

Anyhow what you said about the AT&T visual voicemail feature? I had changed mine sometime ago. Think I added it on? So I'm wondering now if that's what stopped me from being throttled after you mentioned it! Well do some checking to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
They are two separate data plans. One with visual voicemail and one without. Switching between the two every time you're throttled will get you unthrottled.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
They are two separate data plans. One with visual voicemail and one without. Switching between the two every time you're throttled will get you unthrottled.

I understand that was just saying I switch awhile ago to with VV, & I haven't had any throttling issues. Tnx

nidnarb

Jan 15, 2012
Bellingham
We don't have 4glte here in Bellingham, was but every other month I get throttled using the LTE apn. I just switch to the wap.cingular one and I'm fine until billing cycle resets. It's funny cause some months I use 10gb and no throttle then another month right at 5 bam. They reasoning here is ridiculous. My two cents

Edit: once we get lte here I will try this trick. Thanks!
Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
Only bad thing about that is.....

I understand that was just saying I switch awhile ago to with VV, & I haven't had any throttling issues. Tnx

If you use or have VV installed, I heard AT&T can tell if you tether....They can kick you off your unlimited data plan.(Fox-Fi) Custom ROMs.....ETC

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
If you use or have VV installed, I heard AT&T can tell if you tether....They can kick you off your unlimited data plan.(Fox-Fi) Custom ROMs.....ETC

Not installed. Just changed my account to have it on there, is what I'm saying. But thanx for the info. Yeah I got one of those tether msg from them after tethering my Xbox to play live. Lol

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
Don't have VV installed, but I also got the tether message after tethering my laptop and iPad to it. Could it be the VV service, itself?

serranom

Sep 6, 2011

I have the VV and tether all the time but I stay below 7 gb per month. Att has never said anything to me about tethering. I use to do the same thing on my skyrocket and I had VV on that one too. Actually the only time I was rold anything is when I has an iphone 3gs. But I no longer use Iphones I do not like them.

Sent from my Note 2 on CleanROM 1.2 using xda app-developers app

ultravorx

Jul 21, 2010
So I am able to change apn but cannot change the network operators to disable lte.

Im on clean rom 4.5.

Once the apn is changed how to I turn off the lte on this rom?

Frank

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Don't have VV installed, but I also got the tether message after tethering my laptop and iPad to it. Could it be the VV service, itself?

That's what I'm thinking it might b also!:confused:

I have the VV and tether all the time but I stay below 7 gb per month. Att has never said anything to me about tethering. I use to do the same thing on my skyrocket and I had VV on that one too. Actually the only time I was rold anything is when I has an iphone 3gs. But I no longer use Iphones I do not like them.

Sent from my Note 2 on CleanROM 1.2 using xda app-developers app

Have never ever owned any Crapple phone! But you have VV on your account? Or on the account& the app installed. My question is do you even use the VV service at all? Or just on the account like a lot of us. And I don't use the AT&T VV service. I use Visual Voicemail Plus for the pass 4yrs. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phonefusion.voicemailplus.and
Just like VV but better!

So I am able to change apn but cannot change the network operators to disable lte.

Im on clean rom 4.5.

Once the apn is changed how to I turn off the lte on this rom?

Frank

Ok so you just want your phone to run as a 3G phone? Because you don't want LTE on your phone. Ok on this page they show you how to unlock our phones 4 FREE. :thumbup::D
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014982

But I noticed that when I did the unlock you can also go into the network and change the setting. But: #1. CHECK TO SEE WHAT YOU NEED TO CHANGE IN THE SETTING TO STOP THE LTE SVC. Search button is your friend:D

JUST MY 2¢:cool:

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
The other possibility from what I've Goggled is that it's the APN. They use a specific APN setting that allows them to detect tethering. How or which APN setting is beyond me at the moment.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.
    You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.