[ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Apps with Speech Recognition Noob (Simple) Version

In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
What a bummer!

I checked my Kindle and it only has Wi-fi. I almost purchased the last case you have listed from Amazon.com until I found out that I don't have Bluetooth. Thanks nonetheless!

LeRoy

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Install Google Apps with Speech Recognition Noob (Simple) Version - Bluetooth Tether

What a bummer!

I checked my Kindle and it only has Wi-fi. I almost purchased the last case you have listed from Amazon.com until I found out that I don't have Bluetooth. Thanks nonetheless!

LeRoy

keyleroy,

We may have an idea since you own a Kindle Fire 2 and not the HD series of tablet. There is an application named WiFi Tether which allows you to 'bridge' devices off you phone. So, if you own another device that has Bluetooth you would first pair the device with your phone's Bluetooth then you would go to the Kindle and connect to your phone's WiFi signal and use that paired device on your Kindle.

Here is a link to WiFi Tether: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

Here is a link to Bluetooth Tether: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.refluxa.android.bat

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
Bluetooth Keyboards

keyleroy,

We may have an idea since you own a Kindle Fire 2 and not the HD series of tablet. There is an application named WiFi Tether which allows you to 'bridge' devices off you phone. So, if you own another device that has Bluetooth you would first pair the device with your phone's Bluetooth then you would go to the Kindle and connect to your phone's WiFi signal and use that paired device on your Kindle.

Here is a link to WiFi Tether: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether

Here is a link to Bluetooth Tether: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.refluxa.android.bat

I'll give it a shot and get back to you!

Thanks,

LeRoy

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

keyleroy,

I checked out the link for the Bluetooth Tether and it is an app for Auto. Tried to download and it said that my device was not compatiable.:eek:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Install Google Apps with Speech Recognition Noob (Simple) Version

I'll give it a shot and get back to you!

Thanks,

LeRoy

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

I checked out the link for the Bluetooth Tether and it is an app for Auto. Tried to download and it said that my device was not compatiable.:eek:

keyleroy,

I'll get you a copy of Bluetooth Tether, the Google Play Store error is incorrect. we tested it successfully on the Kindle Fire HD.

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
Bluetooth Keyboards

Good morning Sir,

I discovered that a developer on XDA-Developers.com that goes by the handle "Hashcode", has written a program that enables you to use a USB Keyboard on your Kindle Fire. I'd like your opinion on whether or not this could remedy the situation with the keyboard tablet case that I recently purchased since it calls for installation of a ClockworkMod and may change everything that you have provided. Thanks!

LeRoy

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25708021

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2woRxUgHE

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Good morning Sir,

I discovered that a developer on XDA-Developers.com that goes by the handle "Hashcode", has written a program that enables you to use a USB Keyboard on your Kindle Fire. I'd like your opinion on whether or not this could remedy the situation with the keyboard tablet case that I recently purchased since it calls for installation of a ClockworkMod and may change everything that you have provided. Thanks!

LeRoy

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25708021

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2woRxUgHE

keyleroy,

The two toutorials you are referring to are for the original Kindle Fire, not the Kindle Fire HD or 2, although Hashcode has cracked the Kindle Bootloader, so we are not too far away from a solution.

Reactions: keyleroy
Hi! Can you tell me which of the APK's and libs from the google_apps.zip are required to get Contacts and Calendar working? I seem to be having the same issue others have mentioned in this thread where I don't see either the Google Calendar or Google Contacts app in my App Drawer. I only have the (Kindle) Calendar and (Kindle) People app ones.

Note though that I didn't copy all 24 files over because I don't want everything this contains. I'm a bit of a minimalist and don't like to install stuff I don't need or won't use. I already have Gmail installed and working fine, the Play Store, Voice Search, Gallery, etc. So now I just need to get Google Calendar and Contacts working (and yes, I do see their sync settings and checkboxes checked).

Should I just reinstall both apps from the market, and if so, they won't overwrite the Kindle ones will they? (I don't want them to.) Alternately, I can just re-copy the needed APK's back over if that'll force everything to reinitialize. I didn't copy SetupWizard.apk or OneTimeInitializer.apk when I did gmail, perhaps that's my problem?

I should probably mention that I am using Google's 2-step authentication, but I'm also using the app-specific password option instead of having to verify with an authentication code. That has always worked fine in the past with trouble apps... is that not the case here?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Install Google Apps with Speech Recognition - Gmail Update 4.0.5

Hi! Can you tell me which of the APK's and libs from the google_apps.zip are required to get Contacts and Calendar working? I seem to be having the same issue others have mentioned in this thread where I don't see either the Google Calendar or Google Contacts app in my App Drawer. I only have the (Kindle) Calendar and (Kindle) People app ones.

Note though that I didn't copy all 24 files over because I don't want everything this contains. I'm a bit of a minimalist and don't like to install stuff I don't need or won't use. I already have Gmail installed and working fine, the Play Store, Voice Search, Gallery, etc. So now I just need to get Google Calendar and Contacts working (and yes, I do see their sync settings and checkboxes checked).

Should I just reinstall both apps from the market, and if so, they won't overwrite the Kindle ones will they? (I don't want them to.) Alternately, I can just re-copy the needed APK's back over if that'll force everything to reinitialize. I didn't copy SetupWizard.apk or OneTimeInitializer.apk when I did gmail, perhaps that's my problem?

I should probably mention that I am using Google's 2-step authentication, but I'm also using the app-specific password option instead of having to verify with an authentication code. That has always worked fine in the past with trouble apps... is that not the case here?

CheriePie,

No worried, first, there is an update for Gmail, you can download a copy here: Gmail4.0.5(Dropbox) OR Gmail4.0.5(Ubuntu One)

The following are dependent on the Calendar Service and App - place them in /system/app/:

1. AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
2. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
3. Gmail4.0.5.apk
4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
5. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
6. GoogleLoginService.apk
7. OneTimeInitializer.apk
8. SetupWizard.apk

That is it, the Libs are not for the Calendar. After you copy these services, set the Permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

GoogleLoginService.apk should be able to cope with 2 step authentication. This should solve your issue, although we usually have people install the full suite and slowly remove the applications you do not plan to use.

Reactions: CheriePie
CheriePie,

No worried, first, there is an update for Gmail, you can download a copy here: Gmail4.0.5(Dropbox) OR Gmail4.0.5(Ubuntu One)

The following are dependent on the Calendar Service and App - place them in /system/app/:

1. AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
2. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
3. Gmail4.0.5.apk
4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
5. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
6. GoogleLoginService.apk
7. OneTimeInitializer.apk
8. SetupWizard.apk

That is it, the Libs are not for the Calendar. After you copy these services, set the Permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

GoogleLoginService.apk should be able to cope with 2 step authentication. This should solve your issue, although we usually have people install the full suite and slowly remove the applications you do not plan to use.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. :) I bet that'll do it for me then. OneTime Initializer and SetupWizard are the only 2 of the above list that I hadn't copied over so that's probably why they never got set up properly. I'll give this a whirl a little later today. (Gotta take my bunny to the vet this afternoon.)

Cheers!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Install Google Apps with Speech Recognition Noob - Calendar Down

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. :) I bet that'll do it for me then. OneTime Initializer and SetupWizard are the only 2 of the above list that I hadn't copied over so that's probably why they never got set up properly. I'll give this a whirl a little later today. (Gotta take my bunny to the vet this afternoon.)

Cheers!

CheriePie,

So how is the Bunny? Is everything OK? How about your Kindle? Is the Kindle happy too? Please let us know where you stand so we can mark this as solved or open internally.

Ooops, I forgot to say, be sure to setup the Sync otherwise the Calendar will never work properly. If you need screen shots on setting up sync let us know, we will post them tomorrow, OK?

I'm still working through it this morning. I ended up having to install the Google Play version because the icon for the Calendar never showed up in my App Drawer, even after re-copying all those files over again, setting permissions, and reinitializing my Google account.

Right now I'm still debugging. It's actually got my account listed twice in the Calendar settings, and even though one of them says No calendars, I appear to have a lot of duplicate appointments, something I'm not seeing on my desktop version.

The Accounts and Sync settings look a bit weird too, seem to have some extra stuff. It's as if the market version I just installed made it duplicate a lot of things, even though I wasn't seeing the Calendar icon at all before to be able to launch it. *shrug*

So... 2 steps forward, one step back... I'll plug away a little more over some caffeine and then if I can't get all these dupes figured out, I'll post some screenshots so you can tell me which are the ones that should be there.

Thanks!

PS - thanks for inquiring about my bunny girl Sasia. She has blocked tear ducts so the vet has been trying to unblock them. She's 9 years old now but we never realized this for the longest time until her mate died in December because he used to keep all the tears that don't drain from sitting and stagnating on her fur. We got her a new bunny friend in January but they aren't yet fully bonded so not living together yet. We're hoping that once they're fully bonded and living together, Bunji will take care of Sasia's excess tearing as Rudy once did. :)

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

I'm still working through it this morning. I ended up having to install the Google Play version because the icon for the Calendar never showed up in my App Drawer, even after re-copying all those files over again, setting permissions, and reinitializing my Google account.

Right now I'm still debugging. It's actually got my account listed twice in the Calendar settings, and even though one of them says No calendars, I appear to have a lot of duplicate appointments, something I'm not seeing on my desktop version.

The Accounts and Sync settings look a bit weird too, seem to have some extra stuff. It's as if the market version I just installed made it duplicate a lot of things, even though I wasn't seeing the Calendar icon at all before to be able to launch it. *shrug*

So... 2 steps forward, one step back... I'll plug away a little more over some caffeine and then if I can't get all these dupes figured out, I'll post some screenshots so you can tell me which are the ones that should be there.

Thanks!

PS - thanks for inquiring about my bunny girl Sasia. She has blocked tear ducts so the vet has been trying to unblock them. She's 9 years old now but we never realized this for the longest time until her mate died in December because he used to keep all the tears that don't drain from sitting and stagnating on her fur. We got her a new bunny friend in January but they aren't yet fully bonded so not living together yet. We're hoping that once they're fully bonded and living together, Bunji will take care of Sasia's excess tearing as Rudy once did. :)

CheriePie,

We are animal lover too. We have a Australian Shepperd that sits with me everyday as we work. She is my mascot always looking for a good pet during break time.

What you may want to do is download the entire G Apps pack here: google_apps.zip install everything per the instructions then back out each one you do not need, always inspecting Calendar. Have you tried to Install Gmail from the SD Card? Here is Gmail: Gmail4.0.5.zip
maybe an install from the SD Card will wake up the calendar function?

Please let us know what finally solves your issue so we can help other people that may have the same problem. Thank you for your time and efforts.:good:

Still haven't gotten this working completely yet but let me tell you where I'm at and what I've tried so far.

As I mentioned previously, when installing the Google Play version of Calendar, I now see an icon for Google's Calendar app in my app drawer. It's called Calendar just like stock Kindle one, but it's got a different icon, a calendar day page with #31 instead of a month view looking one like the Kindle version. Since I couldn't get an app icon to appear for the Google Calendar in my app drawer any other way so far, this was one way I could. (Just thought of something... maybe clear out ALL my google credentials system wide, if that means clear data on the GoogleLoginService.apk or GoogleServicesFramework.apk, though I would've thought that copying over them with the same versions from the google_apps.zip would've accomplished the same thing. hmmm)

Anyway, when I launch Calendar for the first time, it prompts me if I want to use an existing google account or set up a new one. Generally I have to just back out of that or choose the Not Now option*. It then brings me to an empty calendar page. If I go to Settings, I see my valid gmail account listed and after a second or two, it pulls up the list of my calendars. (I have my own plus several shared/public ones I use.) If I then select just my main one, or even that and a few others, it'll proceed to load them up fine on the Calendar main page. However once I leave the app--and it unloads from memory either by a reboot or android's own memory processing--it again brings me back to a blank calendar where I have to repeat the process above, selecting the calendars I want to sync from the list under my account name.

The one time I did set up an account on Calendar launch (and it didn't complain that account already exists), was the first time I mentioned in my previous message, where I had my gmail account listed twice in Calendar's settings. Because of that, it was obvious that even though my Calendar icon wasn't getting placed, the Calendar itself was syncing in the background even without the Play version installed.

Because of this, I figured if I uninstalled the google play version (after first copying the relevant apk out of /data/apps dir), I could then put that apk into the /system/apps directory (without running an install) and it'd work the way it's supposed to.

That's where I'm at now and though it appears to almost be working right, the list of my calendars that I want to use isn't remembered from one launch of the app to the next (unless it's still residing in memory as I mentioned above). There's a whole bunch more different ways I can try this, but I've been pretty busy and this has become fairly time consuming so I might just give up for now and use the web version of Calendar until I have more time to troubleshoot this, esp since everything else including voice search, google universal search, gmail, play store, are all working wonderfully. That is, unless you have any other suggestions you want me to try. *shrug* I didn't like how it was sending notifications to my status bar anyway even though I unchecked notifications, since I already get the notifications on my mobile which is more with me 24x7.

PS - Australian Shepherds are a beautiful breed. I'm a dog lover as well, though I can be a little allergic to their hair so not worth it for me to keep one, esp since I live in a complex and don't have my own yard too. Love that my house rabbits are litter pan trained like cats too. I did grow up in a house with dogs though when I was younger, and my mom and sister (who live about an hour away in a more rural part of CA) both still have dogs. Oh and of course, I always pet and talk to the dogs (and their owners ;) in our complex. <3

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Still haven't gotten this working completely yet but let me tell you where I'm at and what I've tried so far.

As I mentioned previously, when installing the Google Play version of Calendar, I now see an icon for Google's Calendar app in my app drawer. It's called Calendar just like stock Kindle one, but it's got a different icon, a calendar day page with #31 instead of a month view looking one like the Kindle version. Since I couldn't get an app icon to appear for the Google Calendar in my app drawer any other way so far, this was one way I could. (Just thought of something... maybe clear out ALL my google credentials system wide, if that means clear data on the GoogleLoginService.apk or GoogleServicesFramework.apk, though I would've thought that copying over them with the same versions from the google_apps.zip would've accomplished the same thing. hmmm)

Anyway, when I launch Calendar for the first time, it prompts me if I want to use an existing google account or set up a new one. Generally I have to just back out of that or choose the Not Now option*. It then brings me to an empty calendar page. If I go to Settings, I see my valid gmail account listed and after a second or two, it pulls up the list of my calendars. (I have my own plus several shared/public ones I use.) If I then select just my main one, or even that and a few others, it'll proceed to load them up fine on the Calendar main page. However once I leave the app--and it unloads from memory either by a reboot or android's own memory processing--it again brings me back to a blank calendar where I have to repeat the process above, selecting the calendars I want to sync from the list under my account name.

The one time I did set up an account on Calendar launch (and it didn't complain that account already exists), was the first time I mentioned in my previous message, where I had my gmail account listed twice in Calendar's settings. Because of that, it was obvious that even though my Calendar icon wasn't getting placed, the Calendar itself was syncing in the background even without the Play version installed.

Because of this, I figured if I uninstalled the google play version (after first copying the relevant apk out of /data/apps dir), I could then put that apk into the /system/apps directory (without running an install) and it'd work the way it's supposed to.

That's where I'm at now and though it appears to almost be working right, the list of my calendars that I want to use isn't remembered from one launch of the app to the next (unless it's still residing in memory as I mentioned above). There's a whole bunch more different ways I can try this, but I've been pretty busy and this has become fairly time consuming so I might just give up for now and use the web version of Calendar until I have more time to troubleshoot this, esp since everything else including voice search, google universal search, gmail, play store, are all working wonderfully. That is, unless you have any other suggestions you want me to try. *shrug* I didn't like how it was sending notifications to my status bar anyway even though I unchecked notifications, since I already get the notifications on my mobile which is more with me 24x7.

PS - Australian Shepherds are a beautiful breed. I'm a dog lover as well, though I can be a little allergic to their hair so not worth it for me to keep one, esp since I live in a complex and don't have my own yard too. Love that my house rabbits are litter pan trained like cats too. I did grow up in a house with dogs though when I was younger, and my mom and sister (who live about an hour away in a more rural part of CA) both still have dogs. Oh and of course, I always pet and talk to the dogs (and their owners ;) in our complex. <3

CheriePie,

I just noticed, we are about 80 miles away from me. We are North of the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge.

Yes, I remember, we had two Calendars installed on our Internal HD 7", we too noticed the 31 over the Calendar icon in the App Drawer.

We just got another Kindle HD 7" in stock, we need to set it up for one of my developers. We will be installing Google Calendar on the Kindle, when we are done, I will send you a response. This may not happen until Sunday or Monday, maybe sooner.

Reactions: CheriePie

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Apps and Speech Engine Upgraded

To All -

We have updated Google Apps and the Speech Engine, just us the download links on the main page to download the updated software.

All our storage servers are Ad free, we have three different 1TB arrays to choose from, so if the primary links do not work for you, please post a response we have 3 other servers available.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

keyleroy,

We have been playing with the Bluetooth Tether today, the latest version is failing on the Kindle. If we are able to get it to work, we will post you an update. So far all the Bluetooth Tethers fail on the Kindle. We do have WiFi Tether working beautifully but if we remember correctly you have a Keyboard that you would like to get working on the Kindle correct? Or was this a different person? Refresh my mind regarding you interests around Bluetooth Tether

keyleroy

Aug 6, 2012
keyleroy,

We have been playing with the Bluetooth Tether today, the latest version is failing on the Kindle. If we are able to get it to work, we will post you an update. So far all the Bluetooth Tethers fail on the Kindle. We do have WiFi Tether working beautifully but if we remember correctly you have a Keyboard that you would like to get working on the Kindle correct? Or was this a different person? Refresh my mind regarding you interests around Bluetooth Tether

Good morning Chris,

I do infact have the USB Keyboard for my Kindle Fire. My Kindle came equipped with WiFi but not Bluetooth. I guess one of the major challenges is getting the Kindle to recognize the USB Keyboard via the Micro USB port. Just for clarification, are you working on a solution to recognize the Keyboard via the WiFi since I do not have Bluetooth?:confused: At any rate, your efforts continue to be very much appreciated! Keep up the excellent work.:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is part of our new NOOB Series. This one is How to: Install Ice Cream Sandwich Google Applications with Speech Recognition Software Noob (Easy) Version

These step-by-step instructions will take about 45 Minutes to 1 Hour. Do it when you are fresh not when you are tired since there is a lot to this upgrade.

All Applications were tested on the Kindle Fire HD 7" and are verified to work.

Prerequisites:
    1. Competed How To: 7" Kindle Fire HD Root - Noob (Simple) Version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117

Preferred Method (Automatic Installation):

ICS Google Apps Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

ICS Google Apps Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

ICS Google Apps Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

ICS Google Apps Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

ICS Google Apps Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

ICS Google Apps Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

ICS Google Apps Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

ICS Google Apps Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide

Note: Do Not forget the semi-colon before the C:\KFFirstAide

ICS Google Apps Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

ICS Google Apps Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

ICS Google Apps Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

ICS Google Apps Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 23 to Disable Install Google Apps.

ICS Google Apps Step 13: That is it! Google Apps is now installed, you may close the software.

Alternative Method (Manual Method):

ICS Google Apps Step 1: Download ICS Google Applications to your desktop

ICS Google Apps Step 2: Extract google_apps.zip to your Desktop as google_apps

ICS Google Apps Step 3: Plug in the Kindle to USB, wait for the Kindle Internal Drive to mount

ICS Google Apps Step 4: Using Windows Explorer, move google_apps to /Kindle/Internal Drive/Download

ICS Google Apps Step 5: Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, copy ONLY 24 (NOT ALL 38) of the following apk's from /sdcard/google_apps to /system/app

Note: There are 38 apk's in the google_apps folder. Be careful, only copy the 25 noted below.

Move to /system/app/:

1. ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
    2. FaceLock.apk
    3. GalleryGoogle.apk
    4. GenieWidget.apk
    5. Gmail.apk
    6. GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    7. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    8. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    9. GoogleCurrents.apk
    10. GoogleFeedback.apk
    11. GoogleMaps.apk
    12. GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    13. GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    14. GoogleStreetView.apk
    15. GoogleTTS.apk
    16. MarketUpdater.apk
    17. MediaUploader.apk
    18. NetworkLocation.apk
    19. OneTimeInitializer.apk
    20. SetupWizard.apk
    21. UniversalSearch.apk
    22. VoiceSearch.apk
    23. YoutubeHD.apk
    24. Talk.apk
    25. Term.apk

DO NOT Move to /system/app, just perform the install as noted below:

26. Chrome.apk
    27. Drive_1.1.4.12.apk
    28. Earth_6.2.apk

ICS Google Apps Step 6: Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, change permissions on all 24 above apk's in /system/app by Long Pressing each apk. Change each apk permission to: User: Read Write Group: Read Other: Read

ICS Google Apps Step 7: Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, click on Chrome.apk, Drive_1.1.4.12.apk and Earth_6.2.apk to install each apk. It is no loner necissary to install 1-25, you only need to perform an install on 26-28.

ICS Google Apps Step 8: Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, copy 10 of the following lib's from /sdcard/google_apps/lib to /system/lib:

1. libfacelock_jni.so
    2. libfilterpack_facedetect.so
    3. libflint_engine_jni_api.so
    4. libfrsdk.so
    5. libgcomm_jni.so
    6. libpicowrapper.so
    7. libspeexwrapper.so
    8. libvideochat_jni.so
    9. libvideochat_stabilize.so
    10. libvoicesearch.so

ICS Google Apps Step 9: Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, change permissions on all 10 above lib's in /system/lib by Long Pressing each lib. Change each lib permission to: User: Read Write Group: Read Other: Read

ICS Google Apps Step 10: Reboot the Kindle. The Kindle will take about 2 minutes "wait your Kindle is Upgrading".

ICS Google Apps Step 11: Now go into Apps, you will see a new Icon named Search. Launch Search, then click on the little Microphone, speak clearly (I used the word Test).

ICS Google Apps Step 12: The Search application will next ask you which browser do you want to use to display the results (I use Dolphin). Then just like that, your new journey begins! Voice Search is supported in some (not all) of the Google Apps.

ICS Google Apps Step 13: Go to Apps. Open Google Earth, wait 60 Seconds. Close Google Earth. Now Open Google Earth again (this allows all the required services to start). You may now use the Search, type in "Space Needle" Click on Search. Wala, cool eh?

Note: This version of Google Earth does not support Voice Search. Soon to come...we will post immediately when we get the update.

ICS Google Apps Step 14: Go to Apps. Open YouTube HD. Sign into Google, if you are not already signed in.

ICS Google Apps Step 15: Go to Apps. Open to test Google Calendar, Chrome, Currents, Earth, Gallery, Gmail, Latitude, Local, Maps, Navigation, Photos, Search, Voice, YouTube HD and Talk

ICS Google Apps Step 16: Download the Google Chrome update here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk Save it to your desktop

ICS Google Apps Step 17: Plug the Kindle into USB. Using Windows Explorer, move Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk from your desktop to /Kindle/Internal Drive/Download/Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk

ICS Google Apps Step 18: Now go to your Kindle, using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, navigate to /sdcard/download

ICS Google Apps Step 19: Next select the Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk file in /sdcard/Download and choose Install

ICS Google Apps Step 20: If there is a warning regarding replacing Chrome, select OK

ICS Google Apps Step 21: Press Install and allow the application to upgrade

ICS Google Apps Step 22: That is it, Chrome is now upgraded to Version 18.0.1025308

ICS Google Apps Step 23: Next Open up Google Play Store, Search for "AVC (Alice)", here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=yourapp24.android.tools.alice_lite&hl=en

ICS Google Apps Step 24: Choose to Install AVC (Alice), Google Play Store will then Download and Install AVC (Alice). This is a full blown Speech Recognition Software, it will even have a conversation with you!

ICS Google Apps Step 25: After you test the features we highly recommend that you upgrade to AVC (Alice) Pro, here is a link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=yourapp24.android.tools.aivc

ICS Google Apps Step 26: Finally, using Google Play Search for Alarm Clock Plus, here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vp.alarmClockPlusDock

ICS Google Apps Step 27: Choose to install Alarm Clock Plus, Google Play Store will then Download and Install Alarm Clock Plus

ICS Google Apps Step 28: That is it! You may now use Voice to navigate Chrome as well as over 50 other TTS Functions.

Note: Since we installed the Bookmarks Sync Adapter, you may logon to Chrome and sync your desktop Bookmarks to the Kindle.

Next we will offer a How to: Backup and Restore the Kindle Fire HD Noob (Easy) Version
    Terminal Emulator

Terminal emulator isn't working. Is this a common issue or did I miss a step?

Krsmqn,

No this may be a problem with my instructions. Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer Go into /system/apps, find Term.apk

Click to Open Term.apk, choose Install

If you see an error, click OK to overwrite

Click Install and let the program finish installing.

Did that take care of the issue?
    Google Apps ICS (Signed) - Talk and Earth Fail to Start

Hello,

Followed the steps, but google earth and talk both show a message of stopped.
    Google earth works right after install, using the open option.
    When launched from the app drawer, it only show the stopped message.
    The other apps seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Did you reboot the Kindle?

1) Try this, move Talk.apk and Earth.apk back to /sdcard/Download/
    2) Now try to reinstall Talk and Earth never moving it back to the /system/app folder. Just perform the install.

Do they open now?
    Google Play Store Error 491

Ok. Thank You firstly.

Play store still not downloading (same error) and about half the apps didn't install.

Edit: error code 491

OK, sorry for the delay, we have been busy today. Getting to your issue

Error 491 is a communications error. I suspect GoogleServicesFramework.apk

is broken. Please go back to How to: Install Google Play Noob (Simple) Version and perform the complete install again.

It is better to replace these 4 files rather than spend hours trying to figure

out which one is broken. If you perform the steps, you will get Google Play

to function again. If you can not get it to work, PM us, we offer free

support to everyone in the XDA Community.
    Google Chrome Update Version 18.0.1025308

following your instructions is just big pleasure for a big noob like me! i would like to tell ya that mission completed! :)

We just uploaded an update. Google Chrome has been updated from Google Chrome Bata to Google Chrome Version 18.0.1025308.

Just download Google Chrome Update here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk

Save it to your desktop.

Using Windows Explorer, move Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk from your desktop to /Kindle/Internal Drive/Download

Using either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, go to /sdcard/Download/Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk

Next, click on the file Chrome_18.0.1025308.apk and choose Install

If there is a warning about replacing Chrome, click OK. Then choose to Install it. Thant is it, Chrome is now upgraded.

Brodal,

Thank you VERY much for the feedback. We are truly honored to be a part of the XDA Developer Community and be able to freely give back what has been freely given to us.

Knowledge is power and we believe in sharing what we learn. Feedback means a lot to us and motivates us to create new "How to" in the Noob Series.

More to come..............