Has anyone actually had Verizon/Moto decline warranty work (root)?

Search This thread

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
So, here's the deal. I just got my RAZR M on Feb. 1st. I upgraded from a Droid X that was rooted and running a custom ROM for about 2 years.

Now, I know the ROM scene for the M isn't huge, but some apps I used do use root. I know Moto put in that root checker, but has anyone actually had a return/warranty declined because of it?

I know of course that it is a gamble and that it can always be declined, I am just curious if anyone has actually had that issue. Sucks to lose a year warranty to be able to run a few apps correctly.

Thanks!

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
So, here's the deal. I just got my RAZR M on Feb. 1st. I upgraded from a Droid X that was rooted and running a custom ROM for about 2 years.

Now, I know the ROM scene for the M isn't huge, but some apps I used do use root. I know Moto put in that root checker, but has anyone actually had a return/warranty declined because of it?

I know of course that it is a gamble and that it can always be declined, I am just curious if anyone has actually had that issue. Sucks to lose a year warranty to be able to run a few apps correctly.

Thanks!

cannot speak directly to that, but I did try contacting motorola for tech support the other day. in order to assist me further, they needed my cell number or ESN (which I gave them). within a few minutes, they determined that my phone was rooted. so I'm not sure if they could ping the device or whatnot, but it sounds like they've got measures to check for this.

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
cannot speak directly to that, but I did try contacting motorola for tech support the other day. in order to assist me further, they needed my cell number or ESN (which I gave them). within a few minutes, they determined that my phone was rooted. so I'm not sure if they could ping the device or whatnot, but it sounds like they've got measures to check for this.

Well that's a little disconcerting. I wonder if that has to do with the persistent root checker or some other check in the system files.

Did they refuse to help any further after discovering the root problem? Was your question to them hardware or software related?

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Well that's a little disconcerting. I wonder if that has to do with the persistent root checker or some other check in the system files.

Did they refuse to help any further after discovering the root problem? Was your question to them hardware or software related?

they said that they could not offer any more support that was software related. my issue was software related.