500 posts
Thanks Meter: 698

By mstroud, Senior Member on 3rd January 2012, 11:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th February 2013, 03:53 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Re: [APP][2.2+] Impel - easily and automatically do things
For arguments sake (and hopefully being helpful) Widgetsoid 2.0 has never stopped working for me on all Android updates up to 4.2.1, including system toggles like GPS/wifi/airplane. It seems that would suggest the specific commands that Impel is using are different from those of Widgetsoid...?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to winsettr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winsettr Ad-Free

13th February 2013, 07:15 PM |#42  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunnyvale

More
winsettr, we know about Widgetsoid, but we believe that you are confusing the appearance of a feature that is like what is being asked for with what Impel actually is supposed to (and used to) do.

Widgetsoid can only ask the system to show a page where it believes the system GPS toggle, system Airplane mode toggle, system lock screen toggle, etc. is. That is not what Impel, Tasker, Llama or any of the other task automation apps can use.

Impel, Recast (and other's task apps) require a direct, system level call to make these switches change on command, then have the ability to read back the change and tell the apps that these switches are in a new state. All of that code is now completely disabled by Google, and there are no signs that these features will ever return. Asking the customer to wait for the phone to wake up, unlock the screen, show a system page and have them manually set a switch instead of having it happen automatically would be and is utterly pointless.

Because of these reasons we stand by our original post: these features were disabled by Google and are no longer available in Android 4.x.
13th February 2013, 07:27 PM |#43  
Flag Mishawaka
Thanks Meter: 387

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstroud

Lavie, since Android 4.0, Google no longer supports non-system apps having the ability to turn GPS on or off. This was something that Google gave no warning about and there is no way for us to re-enable the feature. This change impacted all task and widget apps, so there aren't any apps that support this function any longer that we are aware of.

So its probably not as simple as to push this to system/ app?
13th February 2013, 07:44 PM |#44  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunnyvale

More
3ncrypt3d_Droid, we're not sure what you mean by "push this to system/ app?"

What Google did is this: the only apps, widgets or panels that can now directly toggle the GPS, Airplane mode and Lock screen enable/disable features without any kind of customer interaction must be code signed by the system. This means that only the people building the ROM image, such as Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc. or the CyanogenMod team may use these paths. They must sign whatever app, widget or panel they want to use these functions with the exact same certificate as they use on the actual ROM itself.

What this now means is that no 3rd party code, such as Impel, will ever be able to use these functions again, since we don't have these certificates and we will not be giving our code to these OEMs and ROM builders to have them compile and release the apps as their own. For all practical purposes these toggles are now gone from all apps in the Google Play Store, Amazon Appstore, and from any independent app builders.
13th February 2013, 07:51 PM |#45  
Flag Mishawaka
Thanks Meter: 387

More
Thanks for your clarification
I didn't think it would be as easy as for instance taking root explorer and putting your app in the /system/ app directory.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3ncrypt3d_Droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 3ncrypt3d_Droid Ad-Free
13th February 2013, 08:01 PM |#46  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunnyvale

More
Trust us: if there was any easy way to fix this issue we would have done it. Instead, for the past few months we've had to answer a steady stream of confused and angry customer emails asking why "we broke it." We then have to explain that it was the customer moving from an Android 2.x to a 4.x device that was the change and that "Google restricted it." Not fun times, we can tell you.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstroud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mstroud Ad-Free
13th February 2013, 08:16 PM |#47  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstroud

Widgetsoid can only ask the system to show a page where it believes the system GPS toggle, system Airplane mode toggle, system lock screen toggle, etc. is. That is not what Impel, Tasker, Llama or any of the other task automation apps can use.

I appreciate the explanation, but I'm a bit confused; are you saying this is what goes on in the background? Because I have various Widgetsoid widgets on my homescreen, one of which is GPS toggle. When I press the toggle button, my GPS is correctly toggled and the status icon changes accordingly (and all of this is done without any settings pages appearing). However, toggling 2G/3G does not work, but rather a settings page is displayed like you mentioned. Thanks for help!

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity, do you know why Impel works correctly with alternate kernels (I'm using Lean Kernel and all toggles work flawlessly)?

13th February 2013, 08:19 PM |#48  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunnyvale

More
winsettr, I wish I had the ability to capture a video and show you, but your explained behavior for GPS does not work on any 4.2.x device we have. Google has removed the system calls to do it, so when we tap on any widgets for GPS, Airplane mode or Lock screen on/off they do nothing. The system widget and system panel shows no changes, and in our debugging code we can see no callbacks from the system. In essence, the OS is eating the calls we make and responding with silence.

On the same devices with Widgetsoid, tapping its widget for GPS or Airplane mode does only take you to the system page. It cannot do the toggle in the background as you explain. I don't know how your device does it, but that isn't how it can work any longer on production devices with Android 4.1.x and 4.2.x.
13th February 2013, 08:24 PM |#49  

More
Maybe it has something to do with CyanogenMod (CM10.1M1, Android 4.2.1) or Lean Kernel because I'm having no problems with Widgetsoid or Impel working...

The Following User Says Thank You to winsettr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift winsettr Ad-Free
13th February 2013, 08:26 PM |#50  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sunnyvale

More
Well, our Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus both have CM 10.1 on them, nightly builds from the past 24 hours, and both of them require a visit to the system settings page to toggle GPS or Airplane mode. I don't know how yours works, but hang on to it.
28th February 2013, 12:03 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi mstroud,

I was wondering if a feature you could add that the splash screen not show up when switching tasks? The problem I'm having is that I have a task to turn screen to max brightness when plugged in, and then switch back to automatic when unplugged. I'm watching youtube, and the the splash screen makes youtube lose it's buffer and have to rebuffer. It could be one of the benifits if you've paid for the app?

Another thing I know that I've seen before is that I've paid for the app via in app purchase, but it seems that it looses that setting sometimes and asks for me to buy it again. If I restart the phone, it's back to the paid version again.
The Following User Says Thank You to idk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift idk Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)