[Q] HTC HD2 bricked?

Search This thread

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
ok, here's the long and the short. I am pretty much a noob. i was very reluctant to post this as noobs should be able to find the answer without asking, asking just makes you an idiot according to the intro video when i signed up, but here goes. when i bought this phone it was stock. i successfully installed HSPL4 2.08, MAGLDR 113, CWM 5.0.2.8, and NEXUS HD2.ICS.CM9.hwa.v2.3a. Everything was great until I decided to flash the new nexus jellybean rom. you see this rom and most of the subsequent jellybean roms need a system partition of about 285mb. so here starts the trouble. i tried using hd2 toolkit to repartition and the usb would not connect. with the phone in flasher mode it would just sit there and say wait....USB and then show error number 260 i believe. after days of attempts at different methods and hour of reading forums all over the net, i decided to revert back to stock and start fresh. i followed all online instructions and reflashed spl 2.08.0000 onto the phone with the file downloaded from the t-mobile website. now the phone just sits on the multi colored screen. after several failed attempts i decided to reflash the HSPL 2.08 and go back the way i came. no success. doesn't matter what i do it just stays on the multicolored screen. so presently my phone says what the attached photo will show. thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_20130216_141239.jpg
    IMG_20130216_141239.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
u missed off the most important part of that pic, , the white bit at the bottom, , does it turn from serial to usb? what OS you running on the PC? have you updated windows mobile device centre? were you having usb troubles at all? tried all your usb ports? tried a different pc?
go try all that, post results.

Reactions: snowman2765

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
it does switch from serial to usb when plugging into the pc. the operating system is windows 7 ultimate. i have tried all of the usb ports my pc has to offer. i am next going to attempt it on my wife's pc but her system is also windows 7. i even tried to run the software in xp compatibility mode. i have read that if the tri color screen is at least present, my phone is not truly bricked. is this so? i also have the most current version of windows mobile device center. and the usb troubles only were present originally. since then all software has shown a connection and status bar when working, on the pc as well as the phone.

Last edited:

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
in that case please explain your problem in more detail, , a step by step including full filenames, everything that happens, no matter how small it seems, if you plug the usb in, type it, if you're telling us about the spl, don't put 2.08, , put 2.08.hspl or 2.08.0000, detail is everything.

also, go install 'myphoneexplorer' onto the pc, , you don't need to run it, but then we know for sure you have the correct usb drivers for magldr to use.

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
OK, I will begin. I put the battery in my phone, press power and volume down at same time. (don't really need to do this as just pressing the power button has the same effect) The tri color screen pops up. this is what it says:
PB81120 SS B3
SPL-2.08.0000 8G XE
MicroP(LED) 0x05
MicroP(TOUCH) 0x40

I have been noticing that when this screen first comes up after about 1 sec. the screen flashes for about a half second and then stays this way. At the bottom in white it says serial. I now plug the USB in and it then changes to USB. I will now try to flash HSPL4. I have a file named HSPL4. I open the file, right click on th icon (application) called HSPL4 and select "run as administrator" Window for DFT HSPL4 for HTC LEO pops up. click on next. Please wait while installing HSPL comes up. New window opens, select HSPL version to install. click on drop box and select 2.08.HSPL. click next. please wait while installing pops up. now a window popped up for the first time:
CRITICAL ERROR
Flow: 00000006
Error Code: 00000011
Description: Unknown
I then click OK. the installer closes. I will proceed no further until I receive a response.

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
OK, I will begin. I put the battery in my phone, press power and volume down at same time. (don't really need to do this as just pressing the power button has the same effect)
thats not a great sign
The tri color screen pops up. this is what it says:
PB81120 SS B3
SPL-2.08.0000 8G XE
MicroP(LED) 0x05
MicroP(TOUCH) 0x40

I have been noticing that when this screen first comes up after about 1 sec. the screen flashes for about a half second and then stays this way.
perhaps you have an incompatible rom.img on the sd card, that often causes a brief flicker. Try with the sd card removed unless you are flashing from teh sd.
At the bottom in white it says serial. I now plug the USB in and it then changes to USB. I will now try to flash HSPL4. I have a file named HSPL4. I open the file, right click on th icon (application) called HSPL4 and select "run as administrator" Window for DFT HSPL4 for HTC LEO pops up. click on next. Please wait while installing HSPL comes up. New window opens, select HSPL version to install. click on drop box and select 2.08.HSPL. click next. please wait while installing pops up. now a window popped up for the first time:
CRITICAL ERROR
I then click OK. the installer closes. I will proceed no further until I receive a response.

sounds like a variety of stuck radio/stuck spl or similar,
well, usual things to try would be - flashing the correct stock rom from sd (correct as in if the phone came from O2 uk, use an o2 uk rom, tmo germany, use a t mo germany, , if its a tmous, , , red end key green send key then ONLY use tmous roms, DO NOT use any other stock roms than tmous ones.

also worth trying the freezer trick, , chill teh phone for a half hour, then quickly try to flash, , if this works it points to failing hardware, , but not always, so worth a shot.

Oh, and dont use a front mounted usb port, , hspl doesn't like hubs and passthrough usb ports, , use one around back of the PC.

Last edited:

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
i have a stock tmous rom that i downloaded directly from the t-mobile website using my IMEI number. It comes through as an application. i right clicked on it and extracted the file. copied the RUU_signed.nbh and pasted it to my desktop. right clicked on that and renamed it to LEOIMAGE.nbh is this correct? i tried both ways upper and lower case letters. is there a right one? this is where all the tutorials seemed to get grey for me. what do i do next in order? i still have the original file on my pc and the one i renamed on my sd card in the phone. also i recall reading about using a maximum 4gb sd card. how critical is this as 8 is the smallest i have? as it stands i have only that file on the card and nothing else. before putting it on the card i formatted the card to fat32. also i only named it LEOIMAGE as it is already an .nbh file and if i name it LEOIMAGE.nbh, then it will become LEOIMAGE.nbh.nbh right?

Last edited:

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
i have a stock tmous rom that i downloaded directly from the t-mobile website using my IMEI number. It comes through as an application. i right clicked on it and extracted the file. copied the RUU_signed.nbh and pasted it to my desktop. right clicked on that and renamed it to LEOIMAGE.nbh is this correct? i tried both ways upper and lower case letters. is there a right one? this is where all the tutorials seemed to get grey for me. what do i do next in order? i still have the original file on my pc and the one i renamed on my sd card in the phone. also i recall reading about using a maximum 4gb sd card. how critical is this as 8 is the smallest i have? as it stands i have only that file on the card and nothing else. before putting it on the card i formatted the card to fat32. also i only named it LEOIMAGE as it is already an .nbh file and if i name it LEOIMAGE.nbh, then it will become LEOIMAGE.nbh.nbh right?

LEOIMG.nbh is what it should be called!

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
ok i did manage to flash the stock rom from the sd card. everything went great install completed and it says update complete update success. i pull the battery wait about 5-10 secs and then restart the phone. the tri color screen comes up. now what?

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
i guess the only thing i can ask then is this. is there any way i can get it going with the win 6.5 on it so i can sell it? and could it have been something i did to the phone? and if i took for repair, do you have a ballpark as to what it could cost?

Last edited:

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the help. the service tech checked out my phone and determined that it is an issue with the mother board. I found some available on the net for $100+ and then add another $45 to install. we have decided that it is not a worthwhile price to pay for a 4 year old handset so we will be scrapping it. my wife still has one though, so I probably will be back on these forums again.

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
A little update. I bought a parts phone from a posting online and replaced the mother board myself. Followed the directions from a video online, and all went pretty good. Powered up the pone after re-assembly, and let there be life! Flashed Nexus Jelly Bean, and the phone works great. Thanks everybody for all of your help.

snowman2765

Feb 12, 2013
Peterborough, Ontario
one thing though, the phone will not accept a charge from the usb port, but it is recognized by the computer. i can flash mods and all but i have to charge the battery from a wall cradle by taking the battery out. does anybody else experience this problem?

Best401k

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
OnePlus 6
HD2 does not charge

one thing though, the phone will not accept a charge from the usb port, but it is recognized by the computer. i can flash mods and all but i have to charge the battery from a wall cradle by taking the battery out. does anybody else experience this problem?

Try a different USB cable or port. Don't use a USB hub plug directly into the computer.

David

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    u missed off the most important part of that pic, , the white bit at the bottom, , does it turn from serial to usb? what OS you running on the PC? have you updated windows mobile device centre? were you having usb troubles at all? tried all your usb ports? tried a different pc?
    go try all that, post results.
    If your pc cant recognized him am affraid some of the hardware (probably motherboard) is dead.
    in that case please explain your problem in more detail, , a step by step including full filenames, everything that happens, no matter how small it seems, if you plug the usb in, type it, if you're telling us about the spl, don't put 2.08, , put 2.08.hspl or 2.08.0000, detail is everything.

also, go install 'myphoneexplorer' onto the pc, , you don't need to run it, but then we know for sure you have the correct usb drivers for magldr to use.
    OK, I will begin. I put the battery in my phone, press power and volume down at same time. (don't really need to do this as just pressing the power button has the same effect)
    thats not a great sign
    The tri color screen pops up. this is what it says:
    PB81120 SS B3
    SPL-2.08.0000 8G XE
    MicroP(LED) 0x05
    MicroP(TOUCH) 0x40

I have been noticing that when this screen first comes up after about 1 sec. the screen flashes for about a half second and then stays this way.
    perhaps you have an incompatible rom.img on the sd card, that often causes a brief flicker. Try with the sd card removed unless you are flashing from teh sd.
    At the bottom in white it says serial. I now plug the USB in and it then changes to USB. I will now try to flash HSPL4. I have a file named HSPL4. I open the file, right click on th icon (application) called HSPL4 and select "run as administrator" Window for DFT HSPL4 for HTC LEO pops up. click on next. Please wait while installing HSPL comes up. New window opens, select HSPL version to install. click on drop box and select 2.08.HSPL. click next. please wait while installing pops up. now a window popped up for the first time:
    CRITICAL ERROR

sounds like a variety of stuck radio/stuck spl or similar,
    well, usual things to try would be - flashing the correct stock rom from sd (correct as in if the phone came from O2 uk, use an o2 uk rom, tmo germany, use a t mo germany, , if its a tmous, , , red end key green send key then ONLY use tmous roms, DO NOT use any other stock roms than tmous ones.

also worth trying the freezer trick, , chill teh phone for a half hour, then quickly try to flash, , if this works it points to failing hardware, , but not always, so worth a shot.

Oh, and dont use a front mounted usb port, , hspl doesn't like hubs and passthrough usb ports, , use one around back of the PC.

LEOIMG.nbh is what it should be called!

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium