[GUIDE+TOOLS] v12.6 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - root

Did you find this Guide useful? and easy?

• Yes My One X is flying now! It was easy!

Votes: 71 60.2%
  • Yes but it was a little hard to get right

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • No nothing seems to work

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • No but its not the guide's fault

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Re: [GUIDE+TOOLS] v10.2 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - roo

thanks for the reply Xmister, my problem with both CPU quiet and MP decision is not if they use the quad, it is that they are much less predictable than Nvidia's default hotplug

A quad needing game, will need those quad everytime u run it, not just a random draw of dice...

the best app to test this behavior is Nvidia's glowball

hotplug never locks to single core if a game need the quad

but i owe you a small apology, i based my conclusion on a previous experience of showp kernel (it was a really a mess locking so often to single core) and not yours so i will be testing it and report back :) (pulled the comment for now)

The most important thing is the decision wether a game needs quad or not.
Nvidia's hotplug often decided that it doesn't need it, while it's obviously not true if you consider the 10fps drop it causes.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
The most important thing is the decision wether a game needs quad or not.
Nvidia's hotplug often decided that it doesn't need it, while it's obviously not true if you consider the 10fps drop it causes.

yes ofcourse the quad usage is the most annoying thing on Tegra, i found their CPU quiet driver is worse than hotplug in making this decision, but hotplug for THD games never fail though

im about to test extensively now and will report, ill test your latest 95 version

a good game to test as well is NFSMW which can benefit from the quad use

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Why would you say that MPDEC is mess for gaming? It uses the cores much better than the stock nvidia hotplug, most of the times 4 cores running in the games, and fps really higher too.

Ok so I tried #95 and waw its true, MPDECISION is using quad to the fullest even outside THD apps, very impressed nearly all games are faster, I think it now took the place as the best One X gaming kernel

I noticed improvements in NFSMW, beach buggy blitz and modern combat 4 full effects

However I have few comments if I may

I repacked it with the stock .31 Ramdisk because I want to keep the default governor values, the problem It got stuck to ondemand and can't change to any other governor, its just stuck, but I can use gaming boost and change ondemand values, I didn't try the non repacked version

Although there steps between 1000 and 1500, with aggressive ondemand the CPU is stuck most of the time at 1500 and sometimes 1000 it doesn't often use the step in between

Even with UV -75 the device gets hot with game boost, I guess there is no escape with real quad use, in MC4 the screen itself got hot like pre 2.17 days, is there a possibility to have an interface where we can change the quad driver between CPU quiet and MPDECISION?

Reactions: Six6sHot

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Re: [GUIDE+TOOLS] v10.2 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - roo

Ok so I tried #95 and waw its true, MPDECISION is using quad to the fullest even outside THD apps, very impressed nearly all games are faster, I think it now took the place as the best One X gaming kernel

I noticed improvements in NFSMW, beach buggy blitz and modern combat 4 full effects

I repacked it with the stock .31 Ramdisk because I want to keep the default governor values, the problem It got stuck to ondemand and can't change to any other governor, its just stuck, but I can use gaming boost and change ondemand values, I didn't try the non repacked version

Although there steps between 1000 and 1500, with aggressive ondemand the CPU is stuck most of the time at 1500 and sometimes 1000 it doesn't often use the step in between

Even with UV -75 the device gets hot with game boost, I guess there is no escape with real quad use, in MC4 the screen itself got hot like pre 2.17 days, is there a possibility to have an interface where we can change the quad driver between CPU quiet and MPDECISION?

Can you try changing the Max frequency, then changing the governor? (there is a bug I left in,when trying to fix sense specific things)
And then try gaming with default interactive, it should generate less heat, while still good frame rate.

Reactions: hamdir

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Can you try changing the Max frequency, then changing the governor? (there is a bug I left in,when trying to fix sense specific things)
And then try gaming with default interactive, it should generate less heat, while still good frame rate.

Very impressive with interactive man, what are you? The One X gaming savior? :laugh: thanks for fixing the goernor switching bug in #96

Just one thing left to say, can we experiment less? I mean I know right now it great but I worry it will break again :laugh:

Guess the best solution is to keep all your versions downloadable for users to choose

Last edited:

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Very impressive with interactive man, what are you? The One X gaming savior? :laugh:

Just one thing left to say, can we experiment less? I mean I know right now it great but I worry it will break again :laugh:

Guess the best solution is to keep all your versions downloadable for users to choose

Thanks, I'm just trying my best.

Without experimenting I haven't gotten so far, so that's not an option :)

Keeping them is the plan until my devhost space fills up...

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
here is the feedback so far regarding XM-Kernel #106

be careful repack is needed for Sense ROMs

I've uploaded a repacked boot.img for stock 3.14.401.31 ROM, you still need the modules from the original zip file

For the above custom kernel you can use permanent interactive governor instead of gaming boost, set at boot the governor to interactive and the following governor values in your CPU app (which are default for #106):
Interactive:
go maxspeed load 85
boost factor 0
max boost 0
io is busy 0
sustain load 0
min sample time 30000
timer rate 20000
input boost 0
boost 0

Very impressive with interactive man, what are you? The One X gaming savior? :laugh: thanks for fixing the goernor switching bug in #96

I Agree #106 is just the best ever game kernel I've ever used on the one x

Both NFSMW and MC4 full effects are extremely smooth!!! Using the interactive governor

I was holding MC4 because I was waiting for retina update on my iPad, but now its finally fully playable in full effects on the one x and already crossed three levels :)

Just one thing I tested and tested, pretty 100% confident interactive is much smoother than aggressive ondemand, this is very odd, usually applying aggressive ondemand values can match interactive but not on this kernel

Regardless ondemand and game boost are really not needed with this awesome awesome kernel

Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thanks, I'm just trying my best.

Without experimenting I haven't gotten so far, so that's not an option :)

Keeping them is the plan until my devhost space fills up...

awesome mate, already replaced #96 as the first the recommended JB gaming kernel in the OP

last two comments:

1- using interactive i noticed one time it got stock at LP speed single core during NFSMW, lag fest :eek:

2- Your ramdisk is still not compatible with stock .31, if we flash the kernel without repacking the device freezes at boot, it also does something weirder it moves all the SD content to a "0" folder! repacking solves the boot and SD issue

Last edited:

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Re: [GUIDE+TOOLS] v10.5 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - roo

awesome mate, already replaced #96 as the first the recommended JB gaming kernel in the OP

last two comments:

1- using interactive i noticed one time it got stock at LP speed single core during NFSMW, lag fest :eek:

2- Your ramdisk is still not compatible with stock .31, if we flash the kernel without repacking the device freezes at boot, it also does something weirder it moves all the SD content to a "0" folder! repacking solves the boot and SD issue

Yes, it's 4.2 aosp ramdisk, that's why repack is needed every time.
About LP speed stuck...I was hoping that I fixed it, but it seems like just made it rare.
Can you send me logcat and dmesg when it happens?

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Ok to be honest I'm getting very good gaming with interactive and XM-kernel #41, this governor from 3.4 and CPU quiet is working perfectly, extremely smooth even with the default go hispeed load 85

Muh cooler than the MPdecision kernel and in actual gaming I feel it's as good and no LP core bug

Last edited:

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Yes mate in both #95 and #96, its a matter of luck, howeverthe back ported interactive 3.4 kernel is working perfectly with CPU quiet in #41

Can you do a
Code:
adb shell "logcat -d" > logcat.txt
adb shell "dmesg" > dmesg.txt
after it gets stuck?
This will save it to your PC right away, and can you upload it?

I will try to look into what causing it. If I won't find the reason, I might bring back cpuquiet.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Can you do a
Code:
adb shell "logcat -d" > logcat.txt
adb shell "dmesg" > dmesg.txt
after it gets stuck?
This will save it to your PC right away, and can you upload it?

I will try to look into what causing it. If I won't find the reason, I might bring back cpuquiet.

ok cool mate i will grab logcat tomorrow, n I will keep testing cpuquiet and interactive gaming until then

high_voltage

Jun 7, 2011
I've attached a repacked boot.img for stock 3.14.401.31 ROMs
Really noobish question, but never flashed repacked kernel... I am on stock 3.14.401.31... and with no repacked kozmik. I want to switch to xm kernel. I downloaded both the kernel and your repack.rar file. What should I do? Flash the boot.img in your repack rar file from the fastboot and then flash the kernel itself from the recovery? Should I override the boot.img inside the kernel file before flashing through recovery? Can you explain to the poor noob with 1/2/3 steps. Thanks in advance and sry for the really lame question.

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
AW: [GUIDE+TOOLS] v10.6 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - roo

ok cool mate i will grab logcat tomorrow, n I will keep testing cpuquiet and interactive gaming until then

Hamdir could you look at my post in xm thread? Regarding interactive and nfsmw on new test kernel

Xmister

Jul 4, 2010
Really noobish question, but never flashed repacked kernel... I am on stock 3.14.401.31... and with no repacked kozmik. I want to switch to xm kernel. I downloaded both the kernel and your repack.rar file. What should I do? Flash the boot.img in your repack rar file from the fastboot and then flash the kernel itself from the recovery? Should I override the boot.img inside the kernel file before flashing through recovery? Can you explain to the poor noob with 1/2/3 steps. Thanks in advance and sry for the really lame question.

You are right, just flash the repacked image through fastboot, then the zip in recovery. After that, wipe dalvik cache, and you are good to go.

Reactions: high_voltage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THE WAY IT MEANT TO BE PLAYED

if you use the solutions in this guide you will be amazed by your One X Tegra 3 abilities

Seeing is believing! checkout the gameplay videos in here

This guide is split in four parts, GAMING BOOST APP, PERMANENT METHODS, QUICK METHODS - Scripts, MANUAL METHODS and FACTS

GAMING BOOST APP METHOD - This app by wilkyyy, henk2484 and myself, does everything in this guide with a single click, a simple, easy and elegant solution, the best and one solution to rule them all

PERMANENT METHODS - These methods will set everything in this guide, using a single init.d script, the boost will stick on your HOX after reboot

QUICK METHODS - Scripts will help you achieve results with the least amount of effort, this should be enough to achieve this guide's goals, for users who like more control

MANUAL METHODS - Will show you how to do things yourselves and tries to explain it along the way, for more advanced users who like to understand how things work and why the performance is capped by default

FACTS - Tries to reveal everything you need to know about Tegra 3 as well as all the related topics, i strongly recommend to at least to have a look at this part to better understand how your One X functions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHANGING ANDROID RESOLUTION METHOD - last updated 14/10/2013

Change Android's Native Resolution, using Scripts (for both Android 4.2.2 and 4.3)

Change Android's Native Resolution on the fly, using Tasker by @neuTrue

How To Easily reduce your OS resolution in order to boost GPU / gaming performance (via ADB)

Thanks @neuTrue for his excellent work, more info about resolution scaling here

Use in combination with Gaming boost below

GAMING BOOST APP METHOD - Stock Jelly Bean ROM - last updated 19/2/2013

This is currently the best method of them all, these apps will does everything in the guide for you in one click and unleash you One X to its full gaming potential with one click, you can turn it off once your are done gaming to conserve battery

Interactive Governor Method

Requirements:
    - ROOT
    and one of the following CPU apps:
    - [APP Paid] SetCPU for Root Users
    - [APP Free] System Tuner

Recommended Kernels:
    - XM-Kernel #106 (GPU520, Quad unlock 1500, UV support, S2W, Interactive quad fix and best "linear" quad usage in all games thanks to the MPDECISION driver, more info here)

For the above custom kernel you can use permanent interactive governor instead of gaming boost, set at boot the governor to interactive and the following governor values in your CPU app (more info here):
    Interactive:
    go maxspeed load 85
    boost factor 0
    max boost 0
    io is busy 0
    sustain load 0
    min sample time 30000
    timer rate 20000
    input boost 0
    boost 0

Ondemand Governor Method:

Requirements:
    - ROOT
    and one of the following apps:
    - [APP Free] RENOVATE Gaming Boost JellyBean v1.0 (Requires Sense Framework and HTC's default CPU governor Settings)
    - [APP Paid] GameBooster 2 ★ Root (On stock kernel it requires quad lock, review here)

Recommended Kernels:
    - KozmiKKernel 002 or XM-Kernel #41 (GPU520, Quad unlock 1550, UV support, S2W, cooler Nvidia CPU quiet driver and latest Tegra patches, more info here)
    - Trip's ENRC2B 3.1.10 Kernel (GPU520, Quad unlock 1500, Interactive quad fix and latest Nvidia drivers, One X+ based, review here)

Simply enable game boost before you start a game and disable it once you finish to preserve battery life.

The following notes are related to HTC's Stock JB 3.18.401.1 kernel (more info here)

Free gaming boost no longer works on this kernel
    The kernel now resets governor values few minutes after changing them, it's recommended to either use game booster 2 in ultra mode (performance governor) or switch to a custom gaming kernel

The following notes are related to HTC's Stock JB 3.14.401.24/32 kernel (more info here)

PowerSaver mode
    With HTC powersaver's CPU mode turned off, the device will use up to 1500mhz single and 1400mhz quad core, sadly for some rare quad enabled games like shadowgun this might cause random performance drops when the game calls the single core 1500 step
    Enabling HTC powersaver's CPU mode will lock the device to 1300mhz quad core, effectively its a quad lock but slightly slower with less heat and battery consumption
    Experiment with your game to find which mode works best along with game boost

Locking the quad
    Simply set the CPU clock to 1400 on boot and it will stick, the powersaver mode will switch between 1300 and 1400, both quad modes without the buggy single core 1500 step
    Place the attached 99CPU1400.txt script in etc/init.d folder, remove .txt extension and set all permissions, reboot
    If this doesn't work or you are using a kernel without init.d support, simply use SetCPU, change the clock to 1400 and set on boot

Aggressive Performance tip
    You can go further if you want to force max possible performance, unlike ICS, JB kernel allows the performance governor to use full quad, so you can enable boost ON and then switch to performance governor using your favorite SetCPU app, with powersaver off the device will use up to 1400mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, with powersaver on it will use up to 1300mhz quad cores and idle around two cores 1200mhz, naturally this tip will cause extra heat and battery drain, once you are done disable game boost and you will switch back to stock ondemand governor

That's it! it's all you need! but you can learn more about the other methods and the One X/Tegra 3 performance related issues/information in the rest of this guide

GAMING BOOST APP METHOD - Stock ICS ROM - last updated 15/10/2012

This is currently the best method of them all, this app will does everything in the guide for you in one click and unleash you One X to its full gaming potential with one click, you can turn it off once your are done gaming to conserve battery

Requirements:
    - ROOT
    - [APP] RENOVATE Gaming Boost v2.1

Recommendations:
    - DieHard or HardToKill patch
    - Custom 2.17 Gaming Kernel, Faux 011 or Franco R21 Currently the best kernels for gaming because of the following features: unlock the GPU to its full 520mhz speed, lock the quad at full speed, latest HTC 2.17 drivers and the latest Nvidia drivers from their NV 3.x repo

warning! due to HTC code, on stock ICS kernels, turning off the screen will reset two vital parameters set by the app so you have to make sure not to turn off the screen between boost and playing a game, the issue is not present on stock JB kernel, Faux or Franco

If you are a Gameloft fan check these extra tips: [FIX] Wild Blood Full Effects v1.0.7 Performance + other GameLoft games - Root

That's it! it's all you need! but you can learn more about the other methods and the One X/Tegra 3 performance related issues/information in the rest of this guide

PERMANENT METHODS - last updated 15/10/2012

These two methods will do everything for you and unleash you One X to its full gaming potential for good

How to set the gaming boost mode permanently using init.d scripts for custom kernels
    Requirements:
    - ROOT
    - any ROM with init.d support
    - Custom gaming kernel, choose one of the recommended above

How to set the gaming boost mode permanently using SetCPU 3.x for any Kernel
    Requirements:
    - ROOT
    - Any Kernel including Stock

QUICK METHODS - Scripts - last updated 15/10/2012

Use the listed kernel of your choice repacked for your current ROM, use supercharger in order to free more RAM/set proper application priorities and apply the recommended scripts to boost your CPU

Current tested kernels for gaming with their recommended methods, custom kernels are faster than stock in games:

Faux kernel version 011 + Supercharger & DieHard Patch + Optimized Ondemand Scripts

Franco kernel version R21 + Supercharger & DieHard Patch + Optimized Ondemand Scripts

Stock kernel for base 2.17.401.2 + Supercharger & DieHard Patch + Optimized Stock Ondemand Scripts (stock kernel from this base has a broken multicore in interactive governor)

Stock kernel for base 1.29.401.11 + Supercharger & DieHard Patch+ Optimized Interactive Scripts

That's it! it's all you need but you can learn more about the methods and the One X/Tegra 3 performance related issues/information in the rest of this guide

MANUAL METHODS - Obsolete

Fixing the severe frame rate dips - Optimized CPU governor - The Way it meant to be played

For base 2.17.401.2 stock kernel and Faux kernels :

- You can use these scripts to simplify the entire process

or do it manually with the following steps:

- Download SetCPU 3.x or System Tuner

- Interactive governor have multi-core trouble on these kernels so leave it with the much improved onDemand

- Go to the governor tab and optimize your onDemand values

For base 1.29.401.11 stock kernel or custom kernels based on 1.28 source:

- You can use these scripts to simplify the entire process

or do it manually with the following steps:

- Set your CPU governor to Interactive using SetCPU 3.x or System Tuner

- Optimize your interactive governor behavior by checking the instructions in here, this is the most important step and will give the best results and completely fix scaling issues

- keep the clocks as they are so not to cause needless heat/consumption, this governor is much more suited for gaming as you start gaming it maintains higher clocks, during normal use i advice to return to onDemand for much better battery consumption and wake up speed, do not run in performance governor otherwise you loose 2 cores

- You can automate this process and set game profiles using SetCpu 3.x, read the instructions in the linked post

This tip is enough for the most part but more memory heavy games like Sonic 4 Episode II and NOVA3/Asphalt7 might need so further memory management tips as described below

----------------------------------------------------------------

Reducing stutter and background processes - SuperCharger Method - Best choice

- You can use Supercharger to optimize your memory management and app priorities permanently

- Install DieHard Supercharger's service.jar patch follow the tutorial on how to use the script

- Using the script set the minfrees, use the most agressive minfrees if you want to optimize for gaming like option 9 but go for little less if you are using SetCPU profiles so not to kill SetCPU background process, you can always change minfrees on the fly, they don't require a reboot

- You can add script manager widgets to switch between your multitasking minfrees values on the fly, using supercharger power-shift scripts

- Play for a while to let the game settle in memory, the more you play the better the performance will get

Reducing stutter and background processes - System Tuner Method - Second best

- If you don't want the complex supercharger method

- You can use System Tuner to quickly set your multitasking minfrees, simply go to the Auto-Kill section and load the most aggressive minfrees, when done gaming you can always restore whatever multitasking values you find best, changing these values happens on the fly and do not require reboot

- Play for a while to let the game settle in memory, the more you play the better the performance will get

this method does not attempt to fix the priorities.

Reducing stutter and background processes - Developer Options Method - Most extreme method and least favored

This is my least favored method since its impractical and the constant reloading of everything might actually cause its own set of trouble but its the only method for non rooted users

- Go to Developer options choose don't keep activities and background process limit to 1, don't set the process limit to non or sometimes games won't load

- Wait for Sense launcher to reload (which means its working since it killing Sense launcher)

- Immediately run your Game

Some games will not work with this method and fail to boot like MC3

The negative aspects of this trick is that your phone functions are limited during gaming and the battery will drain a bit more on every sense reload, this why you should restore your settings to normal when you are done

Always remember the Following

- Always remember to kill heavy tasks before launching your game, leaving system tuner running in the background probing the CPU might cause stutter

- Remember to restore your Developer options to default, if you want a normal working phone

- Remember to restore the governor to onDemand once you are done to save your battery or rely on SetCPU profiles

- Remember to restore your Minfrees if you want more multitasking, you add script manager widgets to switch minfrees on the fly using the supercharger power-shift scripts

- You can also place an auto sync widget and disable accounts sync during gaming, this helps in reducing the chance of interference with games

- Never game while the phone is charging! unless you want to kill your battery and overheat your device, discharge might happen

- Never lock the minimum clock! unless you want to kill your battery and overheat your device

- If it's On, Disable Force GPU Rendering in Developer options, it might cause issues with some games and apps

Read the following facts to better understand how your One X and Tegra 3 works

The Facts

Using tegrastats you can see games like Glowball immediately requests and enables the full speed quad mode

On the other hand Sonic 4 Episode 2 fails to run beyond 2 cores and 640/1000mhz which means its not actually demanding full power, in part it's the stock governor but also it's the app's fault, another example is temple run brave which runs around 800-1000mhz sadly this means a low clocked GPU too since the GPU is coupled to the CPU speed on Tegra3

Tegra3 is a quad core 1.5ghz 40nm SOC and so learn to accept its operational temperatures i.e: 45c Battery and 75c CPU during heavy use

Tegra3 is a variable SMP design i.e: It's meant to go in and out into it's thermal maximum and so we should not OC this SOC

No chipset is a created equal, so depending on the yields of Tegra3 you might end up with a cooler or hotter running chip

There is a reason why iOS have a very limited multitasking and consoles have barely any, multitasking is always at the cost of optimal performance, lots of apps in the background will increase heat, battery drain and affects gaming performance on the One X

GPU
    The Geforce ULP GPU included in the One X's Tegra 3 (AP33) runs up to 416mhz by default but the clock is linked to the CPU speed i.e: when the CPU clock ramps down so does the GPU

however AP33's GPU is rated 520mhz and so it can be unlocked to it's full speed using custom kernels like Faux and Franco R21

CPU clocks work in the following modes on the One X:
    Single core = max 1.5ghz
    4 cores = max 1.4ghz will scale down to 1.2ghz after a specified CPU temperature limit

the 1500mhz single core step is the main reason for lag in games since sometimes the CPU governor mistakenly locks into this step causing heavy lag, the method in this guide attempts to bypass this issue

The available CPU governors, each using the cores differently:

onDemand governor
    The stock CPU governor on the One X tweaked for better battery life and temperature, however it often ramps down the CPU clocks during game-play which is the one of the causes of bad frame rate, interestingly it seems to have a faster wakeup speed than Interactive governor.
    This is the most stable for phone operation and can use all the quads but its suffer in keeping the high clocks in games.
    You can control the ondemand scaling behavior and use it to insure higher clocks check this explanation in this post

Interactive
    Similar to onDemand but responds to your interaction, as long as your using the device it ramps up to full speed.
    You can control the interactive scaling behavior and use it to insure higher clocks check this explanation in this post
    This governor is supposed to be the best governor for gaming sadly it's bugged on stock kernel, it keeps getting stuck in single core mode, so stick to optimized ondemand or switch to custom gaming kernels

Performance governor
    Locks 2 cores to 1400mhz and disable 2 cores for safety, perfect for non mp optimized games like GameLoft's but gives reduced performance in quad optimized apps like Glowball and Shadowgun THD
    Starting with JB stock kernel, full quad now works in performance governor

Powersave and Conservative
    The best to save battery life and ofcourse they mean compromised performance
    They are bugged and sometimes cause reboots in stock kernel

Custom kernels for JB
    Finally we have a lot of choices for gaming kernels on JB, check the above recommended kernels in gaming boost app method.

Stock Kernel for JB
    HTC's stock 3.14.401.31 kernel fixed quad in the performance and improved GL performance, sadly the interactive governor still can break the quad core and the single core 1500mhz step is still there, however the new powersaver mode locks the phone to 1300mhz quad, check the review here

GameLoft Games
    Gameloft games are rarely optimized for Tegra 3 devices, check the following tips
    [FIX] Wild Blood Full Effects v1.0.7 Performance + other GameLoft games - Root

Performance governor for non optimized games
    You can try the performance governor which locks at 2 cores and 1400mhz for games that don't use the quad core

Locking the clocks
    For certain games you might might want to lock the performance you can raise the minimum clock to 1.0ghz for such games but always remember this risks more heat and to always restore the minimum clock if you dont want to fry your One X
    Instead of locking the clocks simply use the gaming boost app/scripts or the safer dual core performance governor

Automating this process
    SetCpu 3.x has profiles per app where you can choose a governor for you game, check this post
    You can also try Tasker to simplify much of this process, thanks to AJerman for this tips and instructions in here

Rom Cleaner
    If you are on stock based ROMs like ARHD and don't care much about all the Sense bloat, you can use Rom Cleanerhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1589949 to de-bloat your ROM, this will free more RAM for gaming and reduce background noise, some users reported few extra fps in benchmarks

Cyanogenmod 9/10
    Alternatively if you want your One X totally optimized for gaming, try AOSP ROMs, many games might run smooth without any tweaking, this probably due to the dramatically less bloated ROM and better default CPU configuration, but of course it all depends how you bloat it yourself, you can still use the above tips

If anyone can find more tips about Tegra3 gaming please post!
    Gaming Boost Scripts: Ondemand Governor | best for stock 2.05.401.11 Kernel | last updated: 17-7-2012

I've prepared these scripts to simplify the process, no need for SetCPU, a restore script is also included in each pack, requires root

v3:
    - Kept sampling down factor at 1 because we can't lock out the 1500 single core step
    - The GPU lock option is still available, this will lock the GPU at its max available clocks during 3d games only (416mhz) it will cost a little extra heat
    - Added onscreen messages to the non supercharger scripts

Stock2.05.40.11Kernel_OnDemandSwitch.rar-v3
    Switch to optimized aggressive/ondemand governor, plus optinal GPU lock

Stock2.05.40.11Kernel_OnDemandSwtich+MinFrees.rar-v3
    Switch to optimized/aggressive ondemand governor and set max memory MinFrees, plus optinal GPU lock

Stock2.05.40.11Kernel_OnDemandSwitch+Supercharger.rar-v3 - recommended
    MaxMinfrees supercharger Poweshift + intergrated optimized/aggressive ondemand governor, only for those already using supercharger, plus optinal GPU lock

• Download Script Manager
    • Download the scripts you choose and extract to a folder on your SD card
    • Browse to the folder using script manager and flag "Su" and "Fav" for both scripts, save and exit
    • Go to your homescreen and add "SManager" Widgets, place both scripts on your home screen
    • Now the process is a simple single action, you simply press on the script widgets you placed on your homscreen to switch between the two modes

Maxminfrees or supercharger, will switch to aggressive low memory killer, this will kill most of the background processes, keep in mind during initial play some of the process will load and cause some hitches, keep going and it will settle, i advice not to kill all tasks with maxminfress in order to leave those processes in the background and prevent reloads

In case you are going with minfrees use the DieHard patch if you don't want your sense launcher to close during gaming or HardToKill if you are ok with the possibility of gaming killing the launcher to free more ram, keep in mind the constant sense reloading will cause battery drain so I recommend DieHard

more info about supercharger in this post

more info about optimizing ondemand governor in this post

Warning: play for a while and wait for the game to settle in memory before you judge

Tip: You can switch to APEX launcher as default and reboot for extra RAM
    SetCPU 3.x gives us the ability to set a profile per game, which is great solution for the hox, now once you launch the game of choice it will automatically switch to interactive and whatever clocks you like, once you exit the game its back to the default governor of your choice!

simply add a profile and choose app to launch the profile, choose the interactive governor and what clocks you need for that game, you can leave the clocks untouched since the interactive governor once properly configured is a better solution

remember only set one game per profile or it wont work! also remember to choose moderate memfrees not super agressive, otherwise setcpu also get killed

this works great for franco and faux, which has the best values for gaming on interactive governor, it also have the most cleaned governor, interactive governor on franco and faux does not get stuck in non quad mode unlike the stock 1.29, 2.05 and many custom kernels (update faux kernel 004 series has broken interactive, use 003b11)

thankfully you can also use franco's values for the stock 1.29.401.11 kernel and any other custom kernel (like faux if you want swipetowak) but not the 2.05.401.2 kernel since its currently broken if you use anything other than ondemand and there is nothing we can do for it

using set cpu choose interactive and go to the governor tab, set the following values (thanks to franco)
    Interactive:
    go maxspeed load 85 (means the CPU will ramp to full speed @ 85% load, default was 97, the more you lower the more aggressive the maxspeed is mantained, maxspeed is auto selected to 1500mhz if a single core used, dual to three core uses 1400mz or the quad uses 1200mhz)
    boost factor 0 (disabled all the other features to mantain clean simple scaling)
    max boost 0
    io is busy 0
    sustain load 0
    min sample time 80000 (same as stock)

tick both set on boot and set with profile boxes

happy scaling :D

for those still asking why do we have to suffer this with T3 its really simple

a game like temple run shows us why, by default the game doesn't scale the CPU high, this in reality means the GPU is also running at low clocks, for battery concerns Nvidia coupled the GPU clockspeed to the CPU speed, which is sadly behind the unstable frame rates in most games

I'm using a go maxspeed value 75 for my gaming and the results just speak for themselves, clocks never scale down unless on load less than 75%

I'm getting locked 60fps on shadowgun THD!!

don't lower this value too agressively do so not to waste battery needlessly

I've attached my SetCPU profiles as an example just extract to the root of sdcard
    Gaming boost scripts for Franco R20

Both on and off scripts included, extract the zip file and run with root options using script manager, you can also set it to run at boot or create a script manager widget

Update: This enable GPU520, disables 3D clocks scaling and set gaming boost values for the onDemand governor, also use the 1500mhz step since it's quad core on Franco R20 (Works great with WildBlood 1.0.7 - effects version)
    Gaming Boost Scripts: Ondemand Governor | best for Faux and stock 2.17 kernel| last updated: 29-7-2012

I've prepared these scripts to simplify the process, no need for SetCPU, a restore script is also included in each pack, requires root

v3:
    - Further optimization by raising sampling down factor to 10 and set max speed to 1400 to prevent single core lock
    - Switches to deadline scheduler if available since we need better RAM management
    - The GPU lock option is still available, this will lock the GPU at its max available clocks during 3d games only (520mhz) it will cost some extra heat and not really needed since the governor is now aggressive enough to keep all the clocks up, i recommend the non GPU scripts for better temps
    - Added onscreen messages to the non supercharger scripts

ALWAYS REMEMBER You must re-run the script after screen unlock, otherwise parameters like 1400mhz multi-core lock and sampling rate will reset, which reduces the main speed benefits of the script, you also have to close script manager before you re-run the script

faux004b_OnDemandSwitch.rar-v3
    Switch to optimized aggressive/ondemand governor, plus optinal GPU lock

faux004b_OnDemandSwtich+MinFrees.rar-v3
    Switch to optimized/aggressive ondemand governor and set max memory MinFrees, plus optinal GPU lock

faux004b_OnDemandSwitch+Supercharger.rar-v3 - recommended
    MaxMinfrees supercharger Poweshift + intergrated optimized/aggressive ondemand governor, only for those already using supercharger, plus optinal GPU lock

• Download Script Manager
    • Download the scripts you choose and extract to a folder on your SD card
    • Browse to the folder using script manager and flag "Su" and "Fav" for both scripts, save and exit
    • Go to your homescreen and add "SManager" Widgets, place both scripts on your home screen
    • Now the process is a simple single action, you simply press on the script widgets you placed on your homscreen to switch between the two modes

Maxminfrees or supercharger, will switch to aggressive low memory killer, this will kill most of the background processes, keep in mind during initial play some of the process will load and cause some hitches, keep going and it will settle, i advice not to kill all tasks with maxminfress in order to leave those processes in the background and prevent reloads

In case you are going with minfrees use the DieHard patch if you don't want your sense launcher to close during gaming or HardToKill if you are ok with the possibility of gaming killing the launcher to free more ram, keep in mind the constant sense reloading will cause battery drain so I recommend DieHard

more info about supercharger in this post

more info about optimizing ondemand governor in this post

Warning: play for a while and wait for the game to settle in memory before you judge

Tip: You can switch to APEX launcher as default and reboot for extra RAM