What is your experience with SanDisk 64gb cards and the Note 2?

Search This thread

jackdubl

Aug 14, 2010
The lack of a 32gb Note 2 means I would have to use a 64gb card with it, we're I to purchase the phone. I currently have a 32gb S3. I originally bought a 64gb card with my S3 but experienced nothing but problems with it. When I go to the SanDisk support forums it appears I am not the only one; lots of people report the exact same problem, the card would basically die after 1hr to a couple of days. Card would show as damaged on phone, require a reformat, reformat would fail. Nothing could be done after that. I have used both a SanDisk and a Samsung 32gb card for years in various phones with no problems of any kind. When the problem happened with the 64GB card, I returned it, was told it was defective when it didn't work for the seller, was given a replacement, and the same thing happened. The seller just returned my money and said they didn't want to sell me anymore cards because they didn't know how I was f'ing them up. They couldn't get them to work again either. I ask because this is the only thing keeping me from buying a Note 2 TODAY. Anyone using a SanDisk 64gb card with theirs?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Last edited:

pool_shark

Dec 12, 2008
Macedonia, Ohio
I've been using a 64GB card since I received my Note II on release day.
The only trouble I had was when I flashed an aosp ROM and the card was formatted exfat instead of fat32. I ran chkdsk on the card and it was fine after that.

stkiswr

Aug 11, 2010
The note 2 handles ex fat. My 64 worked perfect out the box. I have 40gb of movies loaded up and it never has failed

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I have three 64 gig sandisk cards & have had nothing but trouble with them, I would NEVER buy another one.

I have had two replaced under warranty and one of my current ones is acting up.

Since I keep them backed up religiously to my PC I don't worry too much about it, but they are complete junk IMHO.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I went through 4 64gb cards before I got one that has worked. Had it since a few weeks after the gsiii came out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

jackdubl

Aug 14, 2010
This seems to confirm that they are unreliable, at best. Can anyone suggest a reliable seller to buy from? Maybe I should pay the extra and get direct from SanDisk.

gnex0422

Apr 15, 2012
Vt
I was just going to go buy one today and found this. I was going to buy it from bestbuy or staples. Does anyone have any suggestions on another brand to buy at those stores?

Sent from my Beast SCH-I605

pool_shark

Dec 12, 2008
Macedonia, Ohio
Nothing you buy is going to have a 100% success rate and it won't please everyone.
I think most posts you see about the Note 2 sdcard will say sandisk 64, and I believe you will see the majority are satisfied.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I would buy a Secure Digital or a Kingston myself, I wouldn't buy another Sandisk even if they where 50% off.

I had completely forgotten, I also have a defective 32 gig POS Sandisk sitting here that I never bothered to get replaced.

Last edited:

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
I ordered the SanDisk from Amazon.com. I don't get it, it's a memory card. There are no moving parts, it doesn't get tired or worn (unless you're constantly taking it in and out). The majority of the negative reviews say it worked fine for 4 or 5 months or so then just quit. With all the variables assicoated with something like this, to me it seems more likely an app or file caused corruption in the negative reviews.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
The problems I have had with Sandisk are not corruption, the cards completely cease to function & will not even reformat.

Sure, they replace the junk under warranty but it's still a PITA.

You guys buy whatever you want, I don't really care but it makes little sense to me to buy Sandisk when there are other brands available that are far more trouble free.

I have had a ton of memory cards over the years & the one brand I will never buy again is Sandisk (the only reason I bought them originally was no other brand made a 64 gig at the time)

Last edited:

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
The problems I have had with Sandisk are not corruption, the cards completely cease to function & will not even reformat.

Sure, they replace the junk under warranty but it's still a PITA.

You guys buy whatever you want, I don't really care but it makes little sense to me to buy Sandisk when there are other brands available that are far more trouble free.

I have had a ton of memory cards over the years & the one brand I will never buy again is Sandisk (the only reason I bought them originally was no other brand made a 64 gig at the time)

You said it ceased to function, im not saying you're wrong or anything I'm just curious why and exactly what happened. I've had sd cards fail to read periodically but it was due to driver issues, moving from computer, etc. I've never had one that stayed in the phone all of the sudden fail.

Again not calling you out, I'm just wondering what happened.

jackdubl

Aug 14, 2010
You said it ceased to function, im not saying you're wrong or anything I'm just curious why and exactly what happened. I've had sd cards fail to read periodically but it was due to driver issues, moving from computer, etc. I've never had one that stayed in the phone all of the sudden fail.

Again not calling you out, I'm just wondering what happened.

Well, I can tell you exactly what I did with my last one, the second in a row not to work. I put it in the phone, it read fine. I plugged the phone into my windows xp pro laptop and copied a picture onto it. I unplugged the phone and accessed the picture. I deleted the picture and rebooted the phone. The picture was back. I then tried deleting the picture in every way I knew how; from the phone and the laptop. It was always back after reboot. I tried to format the card and formatting failed whether from the phone or laptop with formatting patch. Then the card read as damaged from the phone, it would ask to format it, and formatting would fail. I sent it back and the store couldn't delete the file either. I have been using both a SanDisk and Samsung 32gb card for years and never experienced any problem. Also used several 2gb sandisk cards in the past with no problems. Never tried a different brand of 64gb card, but maybe I'll try that.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I got mine through best buy for 50 bucks and they exchanged it every time no question asked. The 50 was a special though and I dunno what they sell for now. That was back when they were 150.

Ordered online and exchanged over the phone every time. I actually had 5 cards at one time it happened so fast that they just had me ship the four defective ones back together.

Then they screwed up and refunded my money and I called to let them know since I am not that kind of person and if there were to be an issue again I wouldn't have problems and they just told me they didn't really have a way to fix that and I should be happy. Let me tell you I was!

gnex0422

Apr 15, 2012
Vt
Anybody free up interenal stroge by putting all there stuff on the sdcard and howd you do it i know theres a couple different ways. I just went to bestbuy and got a 64gb sandisk.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Anybody free up interenal stroge by putting all there stuff on the sdcard and howd you do it i know theres a couple different ways. I just went to bestbuy and got a 64gb sandisk.

Windows comp and mtp is going to be fastest. I store everything but apps on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not 100% sure because I haven't tested out yet but I'd heard exFat formatted SD cards WOULD NOT be supported on AOKP, CM10, or non-touchwiz based roms.....
    If you use touchwiz based roms such as Jelly 'Beans' build 9 or clean roms, you'll be fine.
    2 things that people report about these cards are

#1.apparently the first batch that were sold in 2012 were defective but sandisk is accepting responsibility and insuring a full warranty exchange for a new one from the new pile

heres an email straight from Sandisk

Sandisk has been experiencing a higher than normal return rate on their 64gb cards and has recalled a part of their inventory. They will be replacing the defective units with working ones. Expect a delay of about a week.

everyone should be safe to buy these now

#2 there seems to be a problem with a double partition on these cards ? some note 2s have issues with it some dont (go figure) but there is a way to remove the 2nd partition which requires a small amount of work and patience and if you made it to this site then you obviously can do both. its somewhere in the forum just do a quick search.
    Sandisk class 10 64gb. Running beans 10 vrall kernel. No formatting or problems with other roms so far.