Maps killing my battery

Search This thread

noisy_lightning

Dec 15, 2010
England
Google maps is killing my battery.

I am running 4.2.2 stock. I noticed this yesterday and killed the app, deleted its cache and data and never launched it, but today it's done the same! I do not use Google Now.

Anyway I can stop this?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361311840273.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361311840273.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 187
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361311873726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361311873726.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

metaled222

Oct 6, 2012

I am running 4.2.2 stock. I noticed this yesterday and killed the app, deleted its cache and data and never launched it, but today it's done the same! I do not use Google Now.

Anyway I can stop this?

I think a lot of google services (location) uses maps... Maybe even the new google now. Anyhow go into settings in google maps and turn all of the settings off, especially "location history". Make sure android's settings for location access is turned off. When you reboot, maps should run a lot less if ever. Hasn't come up for me since I did it this morning when I first read your message. No need to uninstall it (might get system errors).
You might loose a lot of services if you do it on a mobile device.
It does run a lot, but you can get more battery by having your screen turn off sooner or not as bright, even not using live wallpaper. I use maps and location services too much to consider turning it off.
Hope that helps some.

Reactions: noisy_lightning

djd338

Jan 28, 2011
Good advice. Using Better Battery Stats, I traced a lot of apps which also cue up Maps. You think its only Maps, but some apps go there to find you & your location. Your basic battery use app will show only Maps as the culprit, but look closer & it's other apps asking it for your whereabouts! Facebook is one of the all time worst. It had so many other privacy issues I deleted my account. Google + & Google Now will also use battery thru Maps finding you. Turn off any apps location service via its individual settings if you want individual control. Or, just deny all of them via main settings.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

noisy_lightning

Dec 15, 2010
England
Cheers guys. I have restricted a few of them now. Strangely my HTC one X does not have the same issues despite running similar apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anyway I can stop this?

I think a lot of google services (location) uses maps... Maybe even the new google now. Anyhow go into settings in google maps and turn all of the settings off, especially "location history". Make sure android's settings for location access is turned off. When you reboot, maps should run a lot less if ever. Hasn't come up for me since I did it this morning when I first read your message. No need to uninstall it (might get system errors).
    You might loose a lot of services if you do it on a mobile device.
    It does run a lot, but you can get more battery by having your screen turn off sooner or not as bright, even not using live wallpaper. I use maps and location services too much to consider turning it off.
    Hope that helps some.