ALL LTE discussions here, where, when, how fast!

Search This thread

JDM Civic EG8

Sep 16, 2010
Houston
OnePlus 7 Pro
Just a few blocks away from my house :(
hyheby2a.jpg

And what I get in my house :/
udasu5e8.jpg

Sent From My Rooted SG3

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Just a few blocks away from my house :(
hyheby2a.jpg

And what I get in my house :/
udasu5e8.jpg

Sent From My Rooted SG3

Wow that's just so unfair, I get 25 to 27 down in my house. I love it. There's gotta be something in between the tower and your house. Or is your house closer to the tower?

Transmitted with a portable device using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Overstew

Oct 3, 2010
Wow that's just so unfair, I get 25 to 27 down in my house. I love it. There's gotta be something in between the tower and your house. Or is your house closer to the tower?

I'd assume signal quality isn't as strong, since it's a few blocks away. However, the there's many variables it could be. Such as wall materials (certain buildings are brutal on RF signals).

EDIT: Even with 5mbps, I'd be happy. That's fast enough for Netflix/Youtube. :p

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'd assume signal quality isn't as strong, since it's a few blocks away. However, the there's many variables it could be. Such as wall materials (certain buildings are brutal on RF signals).

EDIT: Even with 5mbps, I'd be happy. That's fast enough for Netflix/Youtube. :p

More than enough for those, and cod black ops 2 online... sprints 3g handles those quite nicely in my house with no lag :D:D:D

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

JDM Civic EG8

Sep 16, 2010
Houston
OnePlus 7 Pro
True 5Mbps is still nice I can't complain since 3G is still garbage in my area. I lost 4G for a whole day a few days ago wanted to shoot myself. Some pages wouldn't load and couldn't upload pictures to Instagram haha.

Sent From My Rooted SG3

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

My house is really close to the tower :/

Sent From My Rooted SG3

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
True 5Mbps is still nice I can't complain since 3G is still garbage in my area. I lost 4G for a whole day a few days ago wanted to shoot myself. Some pages wouldn't load and couldn't upload pictures to Instagram haha.

Sent From My Rooted SG3

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

My house is really close to the tower :/

Sent From My Rooted SG3
I'm like 3/4 mile away from the tower, but I have learned he closer to it I get the weaker the signal gets.

PvtJoker

Jul 30, 2012
Snapshot if speeds here in kerrville texas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361580853380.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361580853380.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 188

shinsplitter

Jul 2, 2008
Redmond, WA got a flicker of LTE for about 20 minutes today

Hey folks, Got my first little taste of LTE this afternoon. I had LTE for all of 20 minutes at work. Speeds were about 2.0mbs which is about 2x what I normally get here. I wasn't expecting too much as they apparently have just over 1% of the LTE towers upgraded around here so far, AND since it wasn't on for very long I'm assuming they just fired up the LTE to make sure the install on that tower was good. It's got my hopes up and I'm excited that it's finally coming :)

Have a great day

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
This means your lte signal is actually coming from another, more distant tower.
No not really it's coming from this one tower but if you sit right under it or within a block of it the speeds drop off, if I'm 2 blocks away or further the speeds pick back up. It was the only tower turned on until a couple of months ago, so I tested a lot on that issue.

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
No not really it's coming from this one tower but if you sit right under it or within a block of it the speeds drop off, if I'm 2 blocks away or further the speeds pick back up. It was the only tower turned on until a couple of months ago, so I tested a lot on that issue.

Are you going based on the signal bar status (dBm measurements via settings?) If so, then it is displaying 1x signal. Even if you're connected to LTE at the moment. Usually when you're right under a tower, you should yield great results. I was checking my local site and even standing under it, my 1x signal never got better than a -77 dBm threshold.

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
I have had great 4g for months and today I woke with no 4g at all any where, just 3g. Must be doing some more upgrading.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
Are you going based on the signal bar status (dBm measurements via settings?) If so, then it is displaying 1x signal. Even if you're connected to LTE at the moment. Usually when you're right under a tower, you should yield great results. I was checking my local site and even standing under it, my 1x signal never got better than a -77 dBm threshold.

Actually, "right under a tower" is the worst place to be. Towers don't aim the signal straight down at the ground. They aim the signal over the coverage area at an angle specific to that area. Some towers are aimed towards the ground more than others depending on geography and population density, but the one place the signal will never go is directly under the towers, or even within a couple hundred feet of the tower for that matter.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Signal bars have nothing to do with data signal. Signal bars are strictly cellular.

Reactions: flastnoles11

Overstew

Oct 3, 2010
Just a quick question (hopefully there are some site tower fanatics out there.) Do you recall how long it took Sprint to flip the switch for LTE after they've installed the new panels on your local site? Mine's had new panels for over a month now and I haven't seen a blip of LTE yet. I know it's coming, just looking for an estimate lol.

hal2001

Dec 23, 2007
LTE in Brooklyn, NY

On Tuesday, I got my first LTE signal in Park Slope, Brooklyn NY 11215. Reception is excellent on 7th Ave, good in front of my house, not so good inside my apartment.

sommyt

Feb 28, 2013
s3 lte

Please use this thread for all LTE news. Report when and where LTE was found, how fast, new maps, new predictions, problems, spotty service, or whatever. Post anything to do with LTE here and do not make new threads.

Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

i get up to 38 down and have gotten 42 in the past i can post screenshots if nessecary ..samsung galaxy s3 atl:good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That sucks. our Dallas LTE thread was closed and now were stuck in a General. Personally i would prefer to have a thread with each city so i can focus on my issues and location not a general every LTE discussion..
    Hope the Moderator who closed our Dallas LTE thread is reading and will open ours back up.
    I know I've said this to some folks before but for the new ones posting... the reason you are probably seeing slower speeds are due to the weak 4G signal. Your signal bars on your Android (non-CM) phone show the 1X voice/sms connection strength not the 4G LTE signal. You could be connected to a site across the street with a nice -50 signal showing all bars, but your 4G signal is barely hanging on at -120 pulling 1 megabit. Just the nature of the beast with Sprint letting us use the signal instead of sitting on the ready cell sites like other carriers do and firing them up all at once.

I recommend the Signalcheck Lite or Pro application. It allows you to see the actual signal numbers in your status bar of both the 1X voice/sms and LTE or EVDO connection at all times. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wMiwiY29tLmJsdWVsaW5lLnNpZ25hbGNoZWNrbGl0ZSJd

More info: Bars Lie for LTE Signal Strength! How to determine your actual LTE signal strength
    I've read many many many studies explaining why Wi-Fi is more battery efficient than LTE. Its a known fact from my understanding of these hard data studies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

It depends. How old are these studies, and which chipset did they use? With SoCs older than our Snapdragons, LTE was a huge battery drain, especially compared to Wifi. However, the Snapdragon S4 chip has a much more efficient LTE radio than previous SoCs, and therefore, less battery drain.

I'm sure Wifi is more battery efficient than LTE, even on our S3s. The question is "How much more efficient is it?" And the answer I've received (from myself and many other S3 users) is, "not noticeably". Considering that LTE is a lot closer to Wifi technologically than it is to EVDO, along with general advances in LTE technology, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Technology "studies" can become invalidated very quickly with the current pace of technological progress, much more so than medical or environmental studies. There have been lots of "studies" that say Android is riddled with malware, even though most folks you'll meet in your life will never experience Android malware, and the ones who do may as well have sought out the malware purposely, because you practically have to try to get infected.
    I sure hope you're not abusing your lte speeds... Otherwise those speeds won't last long.

give it 6-12 months as more cities get lte. it's only a matter of time before the abusers and people with no consideration start bogging the network which sprint in turn will implement a 1-2mbit/s cap. lets hope instead they start throttling the abusers.
    The exception here being that Sprint never promised anything. All of those dates they stated were estimates, which were given to them by the subcontractors (Alcatel/Lucent, Samsung, and Ericsson). It clearly stated that in the small print as well. A little reading never hurt anyone.

EDIT: www.sensorly.com is your best friend for determining 4G LTE coverage

obviously if i knew harrisburg had active 4g, i clearly knew about sensorly. A little deductive reasoning never hurt anyone.

saying that Sprint never promised anything is a really lame point. I never demanded that the rollout be 100% completed by December, all i did was voice major disappointment over the fact that the rollout date went from December, to January, to February, to Spring. That is the difference between reading and reading comprehension.