your next phone?

Search This thread

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
So why choose that over waiting until next month for Galaxy S4?

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

the gs4 won't be available in the states until at least june. ill be getting it once i pay off my note 2 with tmobile.

the gs4 won't be available in the states until at least june. ill be getting it once i pay off my note 2 with tmobile.

Silly me. I just believe to wait for that right device. And I see some really good ones coming in this year. Eight cores, 2gb ram, very large capacity batteries that you can easily remove, 1080 resolution screens, 5" + size screens (though I am not looking at anything with smaller screen than GN2), large storage space, support very large capacity SD cards, etc coming this year. With GN2 I would wait until later in the year before getting something else.
But by the end of the year I will get something else.

Summary of Devices

Last edited:

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
Silly me. I just believe to wait for that right device. And I see some really good ones coming in this year. Eight cores, 2gb ram, very large capacity batteries that you can easily remove, 1080 resolution screens, 5" + size screens (though I am not looking at anything with smaller screen than GN2), large storage space, support very large capacity SD cards, etc coming this year. With GN2 I would wait until later in the year before getting something else.
But by the end of the year I will get something else.

Summary of Devices

At the moment, there isn't much point to getting anything with more than four cores. Most software actually starts to slow down after four cores due to the way its written. Not saying the other specs aren't with it though. For me, once I get the N2 I think it might be enough for a good long while. 1080p is much of an upgrade on such a small screen. About the only thing I would want more is wireless charging and a good hardware keyboard case. Well, maybe also on screen buttons. Anyway, smart phones are quickly approaching a plateau. Sales will drop as the next big thing offers less benefits. might not hold for many here, but we aren't the normal lot are we?

At the moment, there isn't much point to getting anything with more than four cores. Most software actually starts to slow down after four cores due to the way its written. Not saying the other specs aren't with it though. For me, once I get the N2 I think it might be enough for a good long while. 1080p is much of an upgrade on such a small screen. About the only thing I would want more is wireless charging and a good hardware keyboard case. Well, maybe also on screen buttons. Anyway, smart phones are quickly approaching a plateau. Sales will drop as the next big thing offers less benefits. might not hold for many here, but we aren't the normal lot are we?
I would try out the 8 core devices before making the decision. There are several ways of using the cores to produce a smoother experience without full support of all the 8 cores. We just have to see what the manufacturers will do with the 8 cores. Since Samsung is making their own cpu chips, they are in the best spot to take advantage of the 8 cores.

1080p resolution screen may not technically matter on paper for these devices. But it matters with the user experience. Meaning that user will be able to tell the difference and will want the higher resolution screen.

I also want the wireless charging dock. Crossed fingers.

Yes I do agree that "smartphones" are hitting a plateau. But I believe that is because of the over saturation of these devices in the market. And whom ever wants one has one. I do believe we will have a slower, but constant flow within the "smartphone" market.

It is hard to say where the next innovation will take us. Or where the next innovation will come from. But innovation will take what we already have and use into the next level. There are only a few exceptions to that within history.

Summary of Devices

Last edited:

jonjinbae

Mar 14, 2011
The note is the best phone I've ever had and I can't really find any gripes about it so unless a new phone has features I never thought I'd probably wait for the Note 3 :]

Classick206

May 27, 2010
My N4 arrives on Monday (fingers crossed!), so I'll be passing my Note 2 along to my dad who insists he needs a bigger screen. lol

After that, probably S4...

Jul 26, 2006
What exactly within Android Jelly Bean + that doesn't work quite right for you?

I never said stock was experimental. I said I had to revert to stock because AOKP sucked and Cyanogenmod was just as bad.
My experience with AOKP: audio streaming to my Pioneer car head unit was flaky to the point of unusable. The camera didn't work. Phone locked up. Cyanogenmod: the Vulkano app had problems displaying video at anything but the lowest resolution settings. Phone audio was hit or miss.
Now, I understand both are experimental. All I'm saying is, I rely on my phone to provide me with reliable communications, and a Note 2 with AOKP or Cyanogenmod is just a fanboy toy, not a productivity tool, period.

Now, the stock firmware is a different story. It does work reliably, and it's polished. However, it does not embed audio tags in the bluetooth stream, so my car head unit does not display what's playing. It does many things, but I find the launcher irritating, the notification system too verbose, and overall iOS lets me do what I want to do faster, better and with less fuss. Give me an iPhone with a bigger screen and I'm happy.
What I'll miss the most from the Note II: Stick Mount and Paragon NTFS & HFS+, and the OTG cable. What I'll miss the least: Android.

RonnieRuff

May 22, 2010
Austin
I never said stock was experimental. I said I had to revert to stock because AOKP sucked and Cyanogenmod was just as bad.
My experience with AOKP: audio streaming to my Pioneer car head unit was flaky to the point of unusable. The camera didn't work. Phone locked up. Cyanogenmod: the Vulkano app had problems displaying video at anything but the lowest resolution settings. Phone audio was hit or miss.
Now, I understand both are experimental. All I'm saying is, I rely on my phone to provide me with reliable communications, and a Note 2 with AOKP or Cyanogenmod is just a fanboy toy, not a productivity tool, period.

Now, the stock firmware is a different story. It does work reliably, and it's polished. However, it does not embed audio tags in the bluetooth stream, so my car head unit does not display what's playing. It does many things, but I find the launcher irritating, the notification system too verbose, and overall iOS lets me do what I want to do faster, better and with less fuss. Give me an iPhone with a bigger screen and I'm happy.
What I'll miss the most from the Note II: Stick Mount and Paragon NTFS & HFS+, and the OTG cable. What I'll miss the least: Android.

See ya! There is no such thing as an Apple Fanboy haha!

Sent By An Idiot With A Phablet!

Reactions: nuBex86
For me I like the stock with root. Which is why I use mrRobinson injected root stock rom. The same as stock just with root injected. I also use home launchers and modded a few other things.

But like I said before: These devices were not met to be rooted and rom. Root and rom your device at your own risk. Not the fault of Android.

After saying that I agree that a stable and polished experience is what I want and currently enjoy. Again (repeating myself) which is why I use mrRobinson injected root stock rom.

Each person has their own taste and limits. Which is one of reasons why I like Android. It is all about choice.

Summary of Devices

Last edited:

k1ng617

Aug 22, 2010
My wish is to get back to Motorola. I want a Top tier Moto phone that actually has a great camera!

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
My wish is to get back to Motorola. I want a Top tier Moto phone that actually has a great camera!

ive been hearing a rumor of a moto X nexus phone coming but im doubting it. moto has a habit of locking their bootloaders tight. right now the s4 is the only phone i see worthwhile coming. id go with the htc one but ive been burned too many times.

k1ng617

Aug 22, 2010
I'm hoping the Google acquisition will change all of that. I loved my Droid X even with the boot loader locked. Plus great devs eventually work around locked ones if the phone is popular enough. Fingers crossed.

But honestly I love my note 2 so it'll have to be damn great in order for me to part ways with the greatest Phablet in the world.

Sent from the greatest phone on earth!

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
Does anyone know if the international version of the s4 will work on tmobile? Because I hear the specs will be better and it will be shipping in march compared to waiting until may or June for the US carriers.

rac8808

May 5, 2012
I'll wait until the note iv is released to get another phone

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note 3.

G●Note~2 {Jedi X5}
    Next phone? geez i just got this one! wont be a next phone for a while... im gonna let the market playout and by the time im ready to replace my N2 phones will have evolved into something different and worth while... im not into paying for suttle changes every 6 months

long live the N2 (i hope, lol)
    What exactly within Android Jelly Bean + that doesn't work quite right for you?

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

If you are talking about the MultiWindow and the cpu exploit, that is Samsung issues and not Android itself.

If you are taking about home launchers, that manufacturers add on, that is the manufacturer's issues. Which is one of the reasons why some people go for Nexus. So they can have Android without manufacturer's home launchers. You also have your own choice of home launchers too. Apple don't give you that choice. It is Apple's home launcher or the highway. Which is one of several reasons that some people say that Apple is not innovating. I don't see this as Android experimenting, but creating choice.

Are you talking about the way manufacturers try to prevent rooting and using roms? This is what manufacturers have to do to please carriers and to protect their own interests. And no different from what Apple does.

Are you talking about the mass of roms? Like I said above, rooting and using roms is not the intent of these devices. So that becomes your own choice and risk. This is what Apple prevents. Some see it as preventing the dangers of experimenting. While others find Apple's restriction as prevention of user's choice. But the point is you don't have to root or rom to use Android.

Are you talking about the delay of Android updates? This is due to both manufacturers and carriers alike. Still see more updates from Android than from iOS.

Are you talking about the innovative features that you see from Android and Android manufacturers like Samsung? Quirkiness goes with innovation. You see the same quirks with Apple innovation as you do with Android innovation. You remember Apple's maps in iOS?

Are you talking about the quirkiness of downloading iTunes music into Android devices? That is due to Apple's control over their own ecosystem and not Android itself. There are Android apps to make it easier to download iTunes music into Android devices. There is also Amazon music and Google Play Music that is easy to download and sync music with Android devices. But iTunes issues is totally due to Apple protecting their ecosystem. That is Apple's bad.

Are you talking about some Android apps not as polished as may want them? The openness of Open Source in Android allows more application development than iOS. Within this openness you will get some apps not as polished as you may want them. But there are many very polished apps for just about everything you want to do within the Android ecosystem. It is your choice which apps you use and how much money you willing to pay for the apps.

Android comes down to choice.

So what is in Android that doesn't work for you?

Summary of Devices

Most of the ROMS work just fine, and there is nothing experimental about stock. TW works perfectly. I'd have a very difficult time going back to IPhone. Hell, I even hate my iPod now.

P.S. I'd rather have 10 different 99% working ROMS than 1, 7 year old 100% boring OS. Just my .02.

TWEAKED 1.4™
    Nah, ill be waiting on the note 4 in two years maybe lol. The note 2 is a beast. Honestly in terms of real world use what more could you be looking for in a phone? Our phone literally never lags, has lte coming, great design, great community etc.... I mean honestly what is the point. I understand in the past it might have been worth the upgrade to get a phone with "less lag" or "better battery" or "better screen" but I dont see that here. I have the means to upgrade every week if I wanted to but im not blinded by spec sheets and hype. My note 2 is a monster in all aspects of a phone and until something actually revolutionary comes out (second iteration of google glasses maybe), this will be my phone for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2