[Nook HD] CM10/CM10.1 General Discussion

Search This thread

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
If you are using the hybrid setup, download update-20130221.zip and copy uImage to the sdcard /boot partition.
For pure sd card install, I'll be posting an update later.

how can i copy contents of update-20130224.zip file to /boot to enable nook hd serial number?

I use windows xp, and my pc can not install nook hd as a mtp devices, but I can use adb to push file. what can i do?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
how can i copy contents of update-20130224.zip file to /boot to enable nook hd serial number?

I use windows xp, and my pc can not install nook hd as a mtp devices, but I can use adb to push file. what can i do?
Just put the SD in your PC card reader and copy the extracted file to it replacing the file that is there.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10 on Hybrid SD

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
push update file to boot directory

Just put the SD in your PC card reader and copy the extracted file to it replacing the file that is there.

I use the following method

boot to cwm
mount /boot
adb push the update file to /boot

now about tablet show my nook hd serial number
and I can confirm that modern combat 4 now run on nook hd with cm10.1 .

Last edited:

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
I'm just checking to make sure, but on the nook HD running CM10.1, that's based on jelly bean 4.2, which includes profiles, correct?

If so, i have a couple questions about how that works.

Has anybody used the profiles, and do they behave as expected? Also, are there parental controls of any type included?

The reason I'm asking is my mother in law has offered to but my son who is turning 7 a tablet. She specifically mentioned the Galaxy tab 2, but was open to suggestions if i had another preference. I know i love my HD+, and was just wondering if i should get the HD for my son, or go with something else.

I know there are tablets specifically designed for kids, so i might consider them as well, but i just wanted to know what others who use the tablet thought.

As you can see by my signature, i am not shy about modding it, if that would provide a better experience for him.

Also, how easy is it to switch between stock and cm10 or cm10.1?

Sent using my nook HD+ running cm10 hybrid SD from Tapatalk HD

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I'm just checking to make sure, but on the nook HD running CM10.1, that's based on jelly bean 4.2, which includes profiles, correct?

Also, how easy is it to switch between stock and cm10 or cm10.1?

Sent using my nook HD+ running cm10 hybrid SD from Tapatalk HD
Yes to having profiles in 10.1. But never used them so not sure how well they work. I think datas0ft uses them on the HD+ 10.1. And I understand the stock profiles work nicely for kids too.

On the HD, bokbokan really has the Hybrid dual booting working slick. His cyanoboot menu works nicely. But may be a little hard for a 7 year old since you need to get the button pushing sequence right. But the same Quick Boot method on the HD+ Hybrid works on the HD. So you could put shortcuts on the screen to boot back and forth.

Reactions: bpaulien

aeturnus77

Jul 18, 2011
Adams, Massachusetts
Is there a trick to keeping wifi active? I don't want it to shut off, and no app or settings I find allow me to keep it running when screen goes off. Tnx! In CM10.1 :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Is there a trick to keeping wifi active? I don't want it to shut off, and no app or settings I find allow me to keep it running when screen goes off. Tnx! In CM10.1 :)

There is a setting. Go to settings, wifi, menu, advanced, keep wifi on during sleep and check off always.

aeturnus77

Jul 18, 2011
Adams, Massachusetts
That means it is already staying on. Do you have evidence that it isn't?

Sent from my rooted stock Nook HD

Well, every time I turn my screen back on I have to wait to reconnect to Google Talk, and watch the wifi icon go from not being there, to the triangle looking thing, and then to the "I've for signal" icon. Not sure how else to show what it's doing..

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Well try toggling the check mark to never, reboot, and check to always, reboot and see what you get.

aeturnus77

Jul 18, 2011
Adams, Massachusetts
Well try toggling the check mark to never, reboot, and check to always, reboot and see what you get.

Nevermind.. I think I just found the culprit. I have GO Power Master and it was killing the wifi on screen off. Sorry about that! If that doesn't solve it, I'll try that suggestion!

Edit: that does indeed appear to have been the problem! Wifi is working like a champ now.

Last edited:

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
speaker volume

speaker volume in cm10.1 is still significantly lower than stock rom ( stock music player delivers songs louder), try an app called speaker boost in play store, and things seem to improve a little. Is there any better solution?

Last edited:

bokbokan

May 15, 2011
You can try this
Run android terminal emulator
su
tinymix 6 125

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using Tapatalk HD

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
ezpdf stutters under cm10.1

It is very strange the popular pdf viewer ezpdf stutters under cm10.1 running on sdcard.
page scroll and zooming is much slower than under cm7.2 running on nook tablet .

Does anyone else have the same problem?

robertchow

Oct 18, 2011
flash back to early rom

I find the latest rom 0310 is noticeable slower than 0309( in hybrid installation) , can I just flash back to early rom (without doing double wipe) ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tips:
    • To hide status/nav bars, enable expanded desktop under system->power menu. Press power button and select expanded desktop to hide/unhide.
    • In tablet ui mode, enable stretch screens under launcher->homescreen to show all homescreen icons.

Please post questions/problems here for sdcard install of CM10/10.1

For CM10/CM10.1 Development see this thread.
    Have the CM10 up and running on my kid's nook HD and cm on a 4gb card is better than stock. My 7 year old daughter likes it better than the stock nook.

Now is it possible to copy what I have to a 32gb card?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using xda app-developers app

In Windows

use W32DiskImager, copy the whole 4gig SD card to a file say CM10-4gig.img by clicking READ instead of WRITE.
    insert new SD card and using W32DiskImager again WRITE the same CM10-4gig.img to the SD card.
    Resize the last partition (Partition 5) to occupy the larger size.

In Linux

dd if=/dev/sdx of=/tmp/CM10-4gig.img bs=4000000
    dd if=/tmp/CM10-4gig.img of=/dev/sdx bs=4000000
    fdisk /dev/sdx
    d
    n
    e
    <enter>
    <enter>
    n
    l
    <enter>
    <enter>
    t
    c
    w
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdx

where /dev/sdx is your sdcard
    I just installed CM 10.1 as well and had this problem this morning. When I tried to unlock it, it showed the screen as unlocked then flashed and back to the lock screen. Instead of rebooting, I swiped down the quick settings and went to the settings screen. It flashed again and back to lock, but I went to settings again and it worked (not flashing anymore). Then I was able to swipe to unlock normally. I'm not sure if this would work every time, but it's worth a try.

I had the similar problem due to the cover. Please see page 22 in this thread.
    20130128 - UI very nice, but if I doesn't mark 'stretch icons to the screen' - left and right row of icons decepired. I chose 7x7 rows and columns , but I have 8x5.
    Still didn't understand, why AndrAssist utility show 1368x900 screen size.

відправлено з Nook HD через Тапатак

Since I haven't ported Trebuchet yet for 'forced-tablet ui', some issues like this one will be expected. AOSP code for phone/tablet ui determination is based on density/screen size and storing to some variables whether there is a navbar, statbar, etc but not even a single variable keep tracks of the current ui type. Thats is why in the new mode, apps doing their own computation based on above sizes will assume the device is in 'phone ui'. Try changing ro.sf.lcd_density to 190 or less (this will make everything smaller since an inch now will only need 190 pixels instead of 240) to correct this. After this you can already uncheck 'stretch screens' and it will display all your homescreen icons.

(landscape) Full-screen 1440x900 - NavBar 72x900 = Workspace 1368x900
    Nook will only boot to B&N and will stopped at 99% until I popped out sdcard to finish boot into B&N.
    Then I have to reboot to get to Cyanoboot and then CM10. Is there a fix for this? Many thanks.
    The problem is that stock will only tolerate an SD with 3 partitions on it. The CM10 SD has 5. So the stock gets stuck at 99% until you take out the SD. You can insert the SD later after it gets past 99%. Just don't format it if it asks.

As far as the device starting to boot to stock instead of CM10, you can tell if the cyanoboot logo does not show right away. It sometimes does that from a cold boot. I hold the power key to hard power off before stock shows up and try again.

To fix not having to turn off stock to get back to CM10, you can add an app to help you. But your stock must be rooted to make the app work. Get Quick Boot on the Play Store and it will reboot for you without turning off. And since is not a cold boot, it almost always boots to CM10.

Sent from my HD+ running CM10 on SD with XDA Premium