FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] CrossBreeder - Lag-/Entropy+/DNS+/Tether+/Ads-/Censors-/.bit support!!

724 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,327

Post Reply Email Thread
26th February 2013, 05:16 PM |#1191  
Thanks Meter: 858

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw86

Clankfu did everything setup is it all working and after install did ypu use terminal to do
SU
Enter
killall system_server
Enter

? Since your on Ktoonsez with us, not sure if Frandom is in your current kernel update, if its not the above is unnecessary

Using 4.2.2 with frandom enabled kernel, using 2/24/13 no issues so far. Entropy on older and new versions does drop even under 1k sometimes and it is setup. Im monitoring faster than entropy monitor, add a custom sensor to Cool Tool to monitor at as low as 1/2 sec refresh rate, i have it on at boot, boot orocess takes a lot of entropy, most times it will be 4096 but drops as expected and reported to 3k region. But just to point out it can drop lower than 1k too.

Quote:

Enter this above into terminal and is only necessary after kernel and crossbreeder is installed. If you update kernel you may need to rerun the terminal command to release the links to allow frandom to connect where needed.
This is only necessary once and if you reinstall kernel or crossbreeder. Then again if just updating and you didnt uninstall crossbreeder to do so you may be able to skip that step if it was done previously.
Idcrisis feel free to correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clankfu

Yea, some clarification would be appreciated. I'd like to know if updating a kernel requires me to rerun the command. I'm assuming that if I do a clean install of a ROM and need to reflash a kernel, I would have to rerun the command.

idcrisis - Any thoughts on this?

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

And for those not experiencing any problems with 2.24.13, do you still recommend upgrading to 2.26.13?

26th February 2013, 05:23 PM |#1192  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idcrisis

Strange. Maybe you can replace the haveged and dnsmasq binary inside the 2.18.13 ZIP from the 2.26.13_RC1 zip and flash it and report your results.

Or maybe you can temporarily disable the init.d support see if it works. Your init.d support may be through /etc/install-recovery.sh and that's one of the files that CrossBreeder modifies. So there may be an issue there.

Then we can troubleshoot further.

I might have changed only around 5 lines in the zzCrossBreeder script from the 2.18.13 version. So I'm thinking it's not that.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using xda app-developers app

Now this is surprising: I did as you suggested and replaced the binaries inside the 2.18.13 zip with the ones from today's RC1 and I get the same issue as with all post-2.18.13 versions: a freeze during boot. So the issue is definitely to be found within haveged and dnsmasq.

I will now create another 2 flashable zips: One where I only replace havegd and another one where I only replace dnsmasq, so we can narrow the problem down.

I'll inform you about the results...
26th February 2013, 05:32 PM |#1193  
Thanks Meter: 5,713

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggster66

Now this is surprising: I did as you suggested and replaced the binaries inside the 2.18.13 zip with the ones from today's RC1 and I get the same issue as with all post-2.18.13 versions: a freeze during boot. So the issue is definitely to be found within haveged and dnsmasq.

I will now create another 2 flashable zips: One where I only replace havegd and another one where I only replace dnsmasq, so we can narrow the problem down.

I'll inform you about the results...

Must be Haveged. DNSMasq just got updated very recently. Let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to idcrisis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift idcrisis Ad-Free
26th February 2013, 05:43 PM |#1194  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idcrisis

Must be Haveged. DNSMasq just got updated very recently. Let me know.

It is. The zip in which I replaced dnsmasq didn't cause any problems. The one where I only replaced haveged didn't boot.

I will now flash a version of today's RC zip in which I'll replace havegd with the February 18 version and check if that one boots... stay tuned.

EDIT: Ok, confirmed... if I replace the haveged binary in today's RC1 with the old version from 2.18.13.zip I do not face any issues and the device boots perfectly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haggster66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Haggster66 Ad-Free
26th February 2013, 05:59 PM |#1195  

Donate to Me
More
Re: [MOD] CrossBreeder-Entropy Lag Reduce/DNS Speedup/Tether boost/Clean Adblock!-2-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggster66

It is. The zip in which I replaced dnsmasq didn't cause any problems. The one where I only replaced haveged didn't boot.

I will now flash a version of today's RC zip in which I'll replace havegd with the February 18 version and check if that one boots... stay tuned.

EDIT: Ok, confirmed... if I replace the haveged binary in today's RC1 with the old version from 2.18.13.zip I do not face any issues and the device boots perfectly.

I would be very keen to know what mod to Haveged is causing your problem. I had a look and there have been far too many changes to Haveged since then to immediately say.

Do you mind if I send you multiple versions of the haveged binary to try and identify the lines causing the issue?

Also if you could simply run the 2_26 haveged inside a booted OS with the command:

cd to haveged_2_26_directory
killall haveged; ./haveged -F

and report the output of that please.

Thanks a lot for your help in this matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to idcrisis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift idcrisis Ad-Free
26th February 2013, 06:01 PM |#1196  
Flag Afton
Thanks Meter: 3,101

More
Re: [MOD] CrossBreeder-Entropy Lag Reduce/DNS Speedup/Tether boost/Clean Adblock!-2-2
nice work haggster66. idcrisis is there a way to have crossbreeder keep up on the entropy a little more? i drop into 100 entropy at boot here and there as its used up almost instantaneously as needed and use literally thousands of entropy in a feld swoop. then on occasion i do have apps and stuff i do on phone that will drop it real low like at boot, if i am idle its only then that i see as low as 3k...

ill make a basic guide for cool tool.

26th February 2013, 06:14 PM |#1197  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

nice work haggster66. idcrisis is there a way to have crossbreeder keep up on the entropy a little more? i drop into 100 entropy at boot here and there as its used up almost instantaneously as needed and use literally thousands of entropy in a feld swoop. then on occasion i do have apps and stuff i do on phone that will drop it real low like at boot, if i am idle its only then that i see as low as 3k...

ill make a basic guide for cool tool.

Are you actually having any usability issues?

From empirical tests I could see that it actually helps if it fluctuates. The depletion of entropy is quite necessary to make the values fluctuate. Rate of change of entropy seems to be the find here. Maybe someone can see in the kernel source code to see when and why the add_*_randomness calls are made.

The periodic addition of entropy is probably what tells the kernel that it doesn't need to try and grab blocking entropy from user input devices.

Also Haveged is filling the gap to 4096 every .25 seconds so you may be missing the times when its at 4096. Every second, if it's stuck around 4096, it extracts 2 bytes so it can get filled again with the next iteration ( which is just 0.25 seconds away). That activity alone makes usability improvements from the reports I've received and from my testing.

So if you're getting usability issues then we'll need to think about it.

Screen off means Haveged off. So entropy might fall. So a phone call to wake the device may stutter for half a second if the entropy fell too low during screen off. Small price to pay for 0 cpu and battery consumption for the entire time the screen is off.

26th February 2013, 06:14 PM |#1198  
Flag Northwest Jersey
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm325

I had great success with the 2/24 version of CrossBreeder so I am not one of those people who were having problems lately. With that said, it's (2_26_13_RC1) running great w/o any issues so far. DNSMasq is running and the phone is as smooth as 2/24 (quick and snappy).

Thanks!

I have the same great results with the newer 2_26_13 version as I did earlier with 2_26_13_RC1.

Thanks once again....
26th February 2013, 06:19 PM |#1199  
Flag Afton
Thanks Meter: 3,101

More
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=ds.cpuoverlay
Cool Tool free monitor at 1/2 sec, 1,2,5,10,30 sec intervals.

enable custom sensor in Label section of Cool Tool.

in advanced under custom label path type this as the location to read from.

/proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

pics to make it easier to understand

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mw86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mw86 Ad-Free
26th February 2013, 06:20 PM |#1200  
Thanks Meter: 4,353

Donate to Me
More
hi 26 rc1 version is working fine, but i have reboot from time to time...
26th February 2013, 06:23 PM |#1201  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 544

More
Quote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=ds.cpuoverlay
Cool Tool free monitor

Is this what you used to see that busybox was eating the battery up a couple weeks ago?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)