Streak 7 "read only" problem

Search This thread

namsss

Jan 27, 2010
"Read Only" problem

Finally , i replace internal inand (sandisk INAND) and flash it back to stock 2.2 then streakdroid via APX mode . Everything solved . I use 8 GB chip , may be up to 32 GB .

joeyhewitt

Apr 20, 2010
Finally , i replace internal inand (sandisk INAND) and flash it back to stock 2.2 then streakdroid via APX mode . Everything solved . I use 8 GB chip , may be up to 32 GB .

Thanks for posting, good to hear this is possible. Got any recommendations on where to find them? I just found http://www.ssd.gb.com/Products/SanD.../Embedded_Flash_Drives_(EFDs)/iNAND/index.php which seems to have part numbers, but I have a feeling it's going to be tricky finding a seller, at least in small volume. Also, what is the pin count/package size of the Streak? And this is a no-solder replacement?

Thanks.

Last edited:

namsss

Jan 27, 2010
I swap the chip from my old Droid 2 Global , here is the datasheet , you will need an BGA machine or something like this , good luck .

Last edited:

joeyhewitt

Apr 20, 2010
I swap the chip from my old Droid 2 Global , here is the datasheet , you will need an BGA machine or something like this , good luck .

Hmm, BGA machine, so this is not anywhere near as easy as I was hoping for. Not sure if that will be feasible for me. On the bright side I see broken phones/mainboards on eBay for ~$15 that should have compatible iNAND chips.

toxicpg

Jul 1, 2008
so

after 2mont. .. its def BGA chip .... since u enter fastboot mode and try this command ... ( fastboot oem format_all and get error .... that means that is hardware failure ... and it cant be managed by software solution or holding down reset button and power and side buttons ....

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

and Nocturnal ... dont give people false hopes :) .... no hard feelings ..... but if u did disassembled your device ... u would know that when u hold power button and reset button ull only get the resoult : mainboard is not giving any power at all ... :) sorry for my eng ... /best regards from Croatia ...

Nocturnal_50

Jun 15, 2012
Coolah
after 2mont. .. its def BGA chip .... since u enter fastboot mode and try this command ... ( fastboot oem format_all and get error .... that means that is hardware failure ... and it cant be managed by software solution or holding down reset button and power and side buttons ....

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

and Nocturnal ... dont give people false hopes :) .... no hard feelings ..... but if u did disassembled your device ... u would know that when u hold power button and reset button ull only get the resoult : mainboard is not giving any power at all ... :) sorry for my eng ... /best regards from Croatia ...

just telling them what worked for me, if you can powercycle the eMMC then you are set, I am sure that there is something that caused that during a "light boot period" in which it actually powercycled and re-instated RW... alternatively disconnect/short the eMMC physically while there is power (HUGE CHANCE OF BRICK if you are a noob) and then reconnect, 80% chance that the alternative will work

toxicpg

Jul 1, 2008
.------- the Riff solution doesnt work ... since jtag and riff only support dell streak 5 .... no solution for streak 7 ....

Bartor495

Feb 6, 2013
Springville, Utah
Hi all, I'm new here, and I also have the same problem with my DS7. I have read through all the replies, and I have a hard time with following just text. I was wondering if someone could record themselves fixing the problem and post it on this forum. I have A T-mobile... either 3g or 4g (I've never connected to the T-mobile network with this so I don't know) DS7. Thanks in advance.

ddg5060

Feb 25, 2013
So I have just stumbled upon the years of problems that everyone is dealing with here, reading through the pages and pages of posts was like reading a story of epic proportions. Ups and downs feel like the getting out of read only mode is the unsung hero that is fighting against all odds to make it up the castle.

Since the thread basically died I am going to assume that everyone just gave up or everyone somehow fixed the issue. What is going on with this, how can dell be allowed to release a product like this. And if people were able to fix the issue how can it be done? I'm assuming it had something to do with this JTAG box, is what I was reading before the thread died.

Can some one update on what's happening ?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
So I have just stumbled upon the years of problems that everyone is dealing with here, reading through the pages and pages of posts was like reading a story of epic proportions. Ups and downs feel like the getting out of read only mode is the unsung hero that is fighting against all odds to make it up the castle.

Since the thread basically died I am going to assume that everyone just gave up or everyone somehow fixed the issue. What is going on with this, how can dell be allowed to release a product like this. And if people were able to fix the issue how can it be done? I'm assuming it had something to do with this JTAG box, is what I was reading before the thread died.

Can some one update on what's happening ?
Backup a page or two and you've found the only procedure posted that supposedly worked for one person.

Reactions: ddg5060

EliasKesh

Nov 27, 2012
Data is now readable

I think I have made progress but I wanted to run it by the group. My streak 7 can not be factory reset. I looked at the filesystem and found that /data (/dev/block/mmcblk3p7) was marked as read only by the filesystem due to a journaling error. I loaded up busybox into /misc/ and wiped the parition using DD since DD does not go true the filesystem but writes directly to the block device. I also cleared the cache partition.
./busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk3p7
./busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk3p4

After a reboot data is now writable and I created and removed a file as proof . The root file system I can also make writable using:
mount -wo remount rootfs /
mount -wo remount /dev/block/mmcblk3p3 /system

I still however, can not factory reset the device . Since the entire filesystem is mounted read/write:

rootfs / rootfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk3p3 /system ext2 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk3p7 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk3p4 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk3p5 /misc ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=writeback 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:206 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:206 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

I am unsure as to what I am missing.

nychawaii21

Aug 6, 2010
help

Ok I'm trying to compile a list of people that are effected by this problem. Please post in here if your streak has fallen victim to this and you still have it. After we get a decent amount a people I'll try and find a commonality between us and hopefully find the root of the problem.

1. Onilink67
2. tech5
3. hoodred
4. jz83
5. Tanalius
6. Nychawaii21

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just got home to where my JTAG is yesterday I'll probably have some time to play around with it tomorrow
    Another thing to consider. In another thread, it was mentioned that both Dell and T-Mobile confirmed an OTA upgrade from Froyo to Honeycomb.

So why was it delayed? Possibly to do with a certain read-only issue found when rooted and discharged? And the warranty returns we provided Dell gave them an opportunity to identify a fix?

I know, a little thin, but that's my theory. Imagine. Now I'll have to nvflash again to upgrade to the official 4G OTA. Lolz. I just got used my Honeycomb tablet the way it was...

Let's hope read-only was actually fixed in this next possible OTA...

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I was curious to see if it is design defect or software bugs so went to bestbuy and saw they have Dell Streak 7 WIFI with Honeycomb 3.2 Open Box for $ 159. It was the last one so I bought it.

I run the test by letting the power go to 0 (watching netflix only last 2 hours from fully charge to 0).
    Guess what It wont BOOT stuck on DELL logo screen.

HOWEVER this time the recovery partition wasnt lock up
    Tried factory reset (original recovery from dell) did nothing.
    So I NVflash CWM v5
    did factory reset with it (erase data, cache, dalvik cache).
    and it WORK. However you lost all your data.

So I run second test again by draining the battery to 0.
    Well the it locked up again. And i did factory reset with CWM 5 and the streak comes alive again.

I am returning the Dell Streak 7 WIFI to best buy today.
    Can you please give some brief instructions on how to do this? e.g.- how do you use cw5?

I use fastboot to flash the cw5 recovery
    you can find the link from here
    Put your streak into fastboot mode (vol down + power) and connect to your computer using USB cable.
    Put the cw file the same you put the fastboot.exe than just type under command pront (cmd.exe on windows)
    fastboot recovery (the name of the cw5 file).img

Once you done, boot into recovery (Volume up and power) and select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) it will than go to CW5 recovery and again select factory reset.

I tested this with the WIFI Honeycomb version and I did it very quickly after the streak went to Read Only mode (the data format error code) and after failing to reset it with Dell standard recovery.
    I use fastboot to flash the cw5 recovery
    you can find the link from here
    Put your streak into fastboot mode (vol down + power) and connect to your computer using USB cable.
    Put the cw file the same you put the fastboot.exe than just type under command pront (cmd.exe on windows)
    fastboot recovery (the name of the cw5 file).img

Once you done, boot into recovery (Volume up and power) and select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) it will than go to CW5 recovery and again select factory reset.

I tested this with the WIFI Honeycomb version and I did it very quickly after the streak went to Read Only mode (the data format error code) and after failing to reset it with Dell standard recovery.

I am having the same problem now..I'm on 513stock version and I have CMW5. everytime I put something on my SD card, it gets erased when restarted and it goes back to the previous state, even if I update/install a new app.

I have tried the select factory reset (user data and internal tablet) but nothing happens, it just sends me back to CWM5.

anybody found a solution to this read-only problem?
    It does sound like the read only problem, the only solution is to send it back to dell and hope they fix it if it really is the case