FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

View Poll Results: Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

Yes.

214 Vote(s)
47.87%
No.

107 Vote(s)
23.94%
Haven't decided.

126 Vote(s)
28.19%

The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

1,942 posts
Thanks Meter: 633

By paleh0rse, Senior Member on 27th July 2012, 08:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th February 2013, 07:55 PM |#71  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 208

More
I'm not disagreeing with you at all about the Terga3 versus Tegra4. I still think ultimately people's issue is more mental, not actual performance. The fact that it doesn't have the latest and greatest is enough to make them think it'll like bringing a Smartcar to race a F1 racer.

It is true though that the Tegra3 in the Ouya would not be as powerful as a Tegra4 in the Ouya. I'm assuming both would be set to run optimally on the Ouya.

And the last part is more about people's expectations of what the device is going to deliver. Although I think most XDA are smart enough to know better, yet somehow I think people are expecting near graphic quality of the modem gaming console. I don't think it has the power, and possibly a limitation within Android to get that close. I still think it can deliver some good looking games.

28th February 2013, 12:43 AM |#72  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy

I'm not disagreeing with you at all about the Terga3 versus Tegra4. I still think ultimately people's issue is more mental, not actual performance. The fact that it doesn't have the latest and greatest is enough to make them think it'll like bringing a Smartcar to race a F1 racer.

It is true though that the Tegra3 in the Ouya would not be as powerful as a Tegra4 in the Ouya. I'm assuming both would be set to run optimally on the Ouya.

And the last part is more about people's expectations of what the device is going to deliver. Although I think most XDA are smart enough to know better, yet somehow I think people are expecting near graphic quality of the modem gaming console. I don't think it has the power, and possibly a limitation within Android to get that close. I still think it can deliver some good looking games.

Console quality is more than possible, due to the dedicated nature of the device. and remember that most games on ps3/360 run at 720p not 1080p as all ouya games do so far.

Here's what tegra 3 does as of NOW:

28th February 2013, 04:13 PM |#73  

More
I feel that one saving grace of the OUYA will be it's price. Companies like xi3 are coming out with tiny computers that pack a punch. Now we will finally be able to play games on computers small enough to mount behind a monitor! The only caveat is that the x7a will be around $1000.

I'm interested to see if anyone does an ubuntu port for this. The might be interesting!
28th February 2013, 06:51 PM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhardware

Console quality is more than possible, due to the dedicated nature of the device. and remember that most games on ps3/360 run at 720p not 1080p as all ouya games do so far.

Here's what tegra 3 does as of NOW:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmontoya

I feel that one saving grace of the OUYA will be it's price. Companies like xi3 are coming out with tiny computers that pack a punch. Now we will finally be able to play games on computers small enough to mount behind a monitor! The only caveat is that the x7a will be around $1000.

I'm interested to see if anyone does an ubuntu port for this. The might be interesting!

Ouya has better hardware for $20 more than the Gamestick and probably 25% the price of Shield, so seems set in a good place for this segment of devices. Catch is, is there enough marketshare for this segment of devices?
1st March 2013, 12:16 AM |#75  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless

Ouya has better hardware for $20 more than the Gamestick and probably 25% the price of Shield, so seems set in a good place for this segment of devices. Catch is, is there enough marketshare for this segment of devices?

Got the email notice today - Kickstarter Ouyas start shipping March 28. As to 8 pages of mostly-uninformed debate for the last 8 months.. (sorry):

I bought an Ouya because I believe this is the best gaming you'll get for $100. No phone or tablet can come close to the 'proper' home-console experience without controllers and a big-screen TV; likewise no existing game console offers 'good-enough' gaming for $99 without the network and proprietary baggage of their manufacturers. You don't need a PS4 to play Angry Birds or Pocket Planes, or even *still* many best-in-class PC games that have been on the market for 5 years or more like Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2 or any RTS and most RPGs that still have THOUSANDS of players every week. Just take a quick look at Steam today - how many 'indie' games on Steam could EASILY be run on the Ouya? How about every virtual console game for all of the previous-gen consoles? The Tegra3 may not be bleeding-edge to you, but it's still 5 years more advanced than any previous console! Do you have any idea how long the development cycle for the major consoles is? And yet here's the $99 Ouya which has gone from prototype to retail in 8 months with mostly off-the-shelf ARM hardware.

The Ouya is the perfect niche between the 'real' console makers - who've forgotten what console games were once upon a time (how many developers does it take to screw in a PS4 polygon lightbulb?) and the phones and tablets which just fundamentally don't have a large enough screen for the sit-down or multi-player experience. The real key to the Ouya is MARKETING it to the public. Getting it out in retail markets so people actually know it exists, that they don't have to pay the Sony tax just to play $5 online games.

My only complaint so far? For a 'hackable' console, I do think they should have added a little more open-ended hardware; ie: more than one USB port or at least USB 3.0 for future bandwidth.
The Following User Says Thank You to amrando For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amrando Ad-Free
1st March 2013, 04:41 AM |#76  

More
More than just Tegra and Indie Games
I have pre ordered one and what I am most excited about is being able to stream high end Windows games to Ouya

I can put my big noisy 2500K/HD6990 rig out of the way and have the Ouya seemingly play games way out of it's league

Streaming is what will make it shine then you will have some people using it for emulators and lastly it's poxy games

I think the popularity of hacking the original XBOX showed that an open console (even though it was not the intention of the XBOX developers) is very appealing to a lot of people
1st March 2013, 06:16 AM |#77  
Flag Norton
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I've already got a Viewsonic G Tablet set up upstairs as a media center with HBO Go and Netflix, I dump 720p movies on the microsd card and have all my NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis games on there.
I love it.
Problem is I hate moving the dock and cables every time I want to put it downstairs for the kids to play games or watch movies.
I paid $350 total for my Gtab, dock and a Bluetooth game controller.
A Roku box that only does video streaming is $100.
Ouya is $99 and ships with a controller and is MEANT to connect to a tv!
Hell yeah I'm getting one!
I can leave my tablet upstairs, leave the little cube tucked away, and enjoy my movies, shows and games two different places without the fuss.

Look, I've got a pretty beefy PC I play my big boy games on like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim, and all the nieces and nephews don't care is its Super Mario World, NBA Jam, or the latest greatest console games, and honestly I prefer retro gaming most of the time myself anyways. I can't help it, I grew up on Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
Graphics on mobile devices happen to be moving along fast, I've seen some Square RPGs and a few sports games that look on par to the PS2.
Look, it's all fun and games anyways.
If you like the concept, buy one, if you don't care for it, avoid it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobalaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobalaz Ad-Free
1st March 2013, 07:19 AM |#78  
Flag Mio, Michigan
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unlike all the "Game Sticks" that are coming out, this; 1, Has the highest powered hardware (Tegra 3).

2, Has XDA support now.

3, Is made to be hackable and the hackabilty is supported by the Devs.

4, And to bring the Nvidia Shield into the convo, this is way cheaper, and like stated above
is made to be hacked.

All in all, I'm very excited for this device!
2nd March 2013, 01:56 AM |#79  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I believe they should come up with an OUYA app so that all Android devices can have access to all the games. This way you can begin a game in front of your TV then leave your home and continue on your mobile device.
2nd March 2013, 10:24 AM |#80  
Flag Melbourne

More
Android tablets = sync a controller

Ouya = games developed for a controller with up to 8 controllers at once.

Who cares what a tablet or dongle CAN do, and think about what it can't.
2nd March 2013, 11:20 AM |#81  
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Re: The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...
For the price I will be getting one. Just hope it isn't delayed for months in the UK. Anyone know where I can pre order one in the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)